ATM at Barcelona pier

My DH and I will be leaving out of Barcelona for a 12 day cruise and wanted to know where the nearest ATM machine is at the pier. My DH and I was planning on checking into our cabin then going into Barcelona and getting euros at the pier before returning to our ship since we don't sail until 10PM.

Have you considered getting some euros from your own bank before leaving home? My bank could get euros at the current exchange rate with a few days notice. If you arrive with euros, you won't have to go looking for an ATM right away. Have a great cruise.

There is more than one pier available for cruise ships in Barcelona. We were on the Rotterdam and the pier facilities where we were located were minimal and located in an industrial area. The ship did run a shuttle bus to the lower part of the Ramblas. The suggestion to obtain your euro at the airport is a good one if you need some before heading to the city where there are atm's everywhere. We did see another cruise ship tied up a little closer to the Ramblas, but still a very long walk.

What method of obtaining euros gets th ebest exchange rate?

I am confused with the various means:

Once on board the ship

ATM at the aiport in Barcelona

At our local bank prior to leaving the states

Money exchanges in Barcelona, outside the airport

Is it best to use a Debit card? Is Visa or Mastercard the same rate or is one better?

Thanks

There are several ways to get Euros:

1) Go to the AAA office and buy a preset package for $100 - the exchange rate is horrible but if you're really desparate, you can do this

2) Find an American Express office - you can also buy any amount of currency for a better exchange rate but they'll also charge a $3-$5 fee

3) Go to your bank and get $50-$100 worth of Euros - again, exchange rate is probably not that good plus a service charge but you'll have cash in hand.

4) Buy it at the airport in the US at a Change Booth - probably the same as the bank.

5) Use an ATM in Barcelona at the airport - there's only one and you'll have to find it - we never saw it.

6) Get on board the cruise ship and cash American dollars for Euros - exchange rate isn't that good but there's no service charge.

To get into town to the LARGE number of ATM's, you'll have to probably take a taxi which will cost 20-25 Euros each way. You'll need cash for taxis.

My only other advice is to bring more than one ATM or Master Card/Visa card to get cash with. My husband only brought his Visa Debit card and it never worked in Spain or France. It did work in Italy. My plain old debit card worked everywhere in Europe (part of the Pulse network) but only worked in some machines in Brazil. I have 2-3 cards to use to get cash and I'd advise you bring at least two cards to get cash with.

Good luck!

Just an FYI- my daughter just returned from 5 months in Barcelona. She took Euros with her to get started and planned to use her debit card to get more money. She told her credit card company and the bank that she would be in Spain.

Her first 2 transactions were fine, and then her atm card was put on "alert" by the bank. Even though she had let them know in advance, there is a lot of money laundering done through Barcelona so the banks are very cautious. The toll free number on her card would not work from Spain. Luckily, I know a higher up person with her bank who was able to get her in touch with the right people to activate her card. This continued to happen to her all during her stay.

So- even though you take all the right steps in advance, be sure to have a back up plan! BTW- she says ATM's are everywhere, however I don't know about any near the port. She stayed away from that area because of all the "tourists" She must think because she was a student the Tourist label didn't apply!

Archived