Viking Cruises – Empty Refunds – Customer Expectations

theremin

Wow-

-Final payment due over a year in advance?

-$100 cancel fee by a cruise line if you change your mind - even 1.5 yrs before cruising??

-Ports changed or unknown for a cruise with full payment expected before you know where you're going?

-times in those unknown ports also not known?

-financial concerns?

Can someone explain the draw a person has to these cruises that would get you to pay in full over a year in advance for an unconfirmed cruise itinerary?

I came to this thread because Viking River Cruises piqued my interest. Now I'm not so sure....

Years ago, I wanted to cruise the Tahitian islands. Renaissance Cruises had a great rate and exactly the cruise I wanted, so I called my TA. Full payment was due when I'd make the reservation which was 11 months before sailing. My TA expressed her concern as to the full payment so far in advance. I didn't book. 5 months later, Renaissance filed bankruptcy.

I'm staying far away from Viking.

Thanks for this thread.

Kathy

Edited by jkloni
Added question

Dear comcox,

We regret to hear of your frustration and apologize for any confusion.

The 2017 Grand Mediterranean Tour itinerary has yet to be altered. Due to recent events, we have removed Tunisia and Algeria from the 2016 itinerary, but both ports are still included as part of the 2017 itinerary. We are hopeful the situation will improve but appreciate your flexibility should adjustments be necessary. The safety of our passengers is our top priority.

Our website only details the 2016 itinerary – which has likely contributed to the confusion.

We appreciate the opportunity to clarify. Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

We also have experienced frustrating service from Viking Ocean Cruises. In late July 2015 we booked the Grand Mediterranean cruise for February 2017. Less than 24 hours after booking Viking announced a major change to the itinerary removing the two ports that were most important in our decision to book the cruise. Our TA had just gone out of town so I called Viking myself and got a complete runaround about the impact on our itinerary. I also wrote to the headquarters and still got no satisfaction.

Since that time the website has shown confusing information about the ports for the Grand Mediterranean cruise. Just a few weeks about I wrote to Viking to again ask what our itinerary will be for 2017 and the response I received was that they would announce the itinerary sometime in 2016. And yet they expect us to pay in full by December 31st of this year for a cruise we still don't know the ports! That's ridiculous.

Dear comcox,

We regret to hear of your frustration and apologize for any confusion.

The 2017 Grand Mediterranean Tour itinerary has yet to be altered. Due to recent events, we have removed Tunisia and Algeria from the 2016 itinerary, but both ports are still included as part of the 2017 itinerary. We are hopeful the situation will improve but appreciate your flexibility should adjustments be necessary. The safety of our passengers is our top priority.

Our website only details the 2016 itinerary – which has likely contributed to the confusion.

We appreciate the opportunity to clarify. Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

I am glad to receive a more complete response here than I did by writing directly to your office via the website. And I'm glad you appreciate our flexibility but how about some flexibility on Viking's part? Why not move our payment date until after you have decided on the itinerary? The primary reason we booked this cruise was for the Tunis and Algiers ports and you dropped those less than 24 hours after our booking. Now we are out $200 if we cancel.

Hi Tamara,

We are happy to see what we can do, but would require a bit more information to move forward.

Please write to us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com and provide us with your booking information so that we can better assist with your request.

We are looking forward to your email!

Warm regards,

Viking Cruises

I am glad to receive a more complete response here than I did by writing directly to your office via the website. And I'm glad you appreciate our flexibility but how about some flexibility on Viking's part? Why not move our payment date until after you have decided on the itinerary? The primary reason we booked this cruise was for the Tunis and Algiers ports and you dropped those less than 24 hours after our booking. Now we are out $200 if we cancel.

Wow-

-Final payment due over a year in advance?

-$100 cancel fee by a cruise line if you change your mind - even 1.5 yrs before cruising??

-Ports changed or unknown for a cruise with full payment expected before you know where you're going?

-times in those unknown ports also not known?

-financial concerns?

Can someone explain the draw a person has to these cruises that would get you to pay in full over a year in advance for an unconfirmed cruise itinerary?

I came to this thread because Viking River Cruises piqued my interest. Now I'm not so sure....

Years ago, I wanted to cruise the Tahitian islands. Renaissance Cruises had a great rate and exactly the cruise I wanted, so I called my TA. Full payment was due when I'd make the reservation which was 11 months before sailing. My TA expressed her concern as to the full payment so far in advance. I didn't book. 5 months later, Renaissance filed bankruptcy.

I'm staying far away from Viking.

Thanks for this thread.

Kathy

Hi Jkloni.

I normally book more than a year in advance because i want something specific and accommodation to match.

Sure it has it's drawbacks, mainly because flights are out of range and often political upheaval/terrorist acts dictate change.

I now have two cruises booked for 2017 but will admit one, Haag-Lloyd's, only required a 10% deposit.

But I digress because I wanted to make a point to you bout Viking River Cruises. I returned just three weeks ago from their 'Portraits of Southern France' on Viking Hermod.

It was outstanding...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/11/09/viking-hermod-portraits-of-southern-france/

And yes I'm booked on Viking Star and despite this current criticism I'm optimistic of a good cruise and a little excited.

If Viking's pre-cruise administration is anything to go by I'm not going to be disappointed.

Hi there.

I'll stick my neck out here and say that Viking acted very sensibly cancelling those two ports of call - exactly as have other cruise lines.

And as with other cruise lines I will hazard a guess that the reasons and consequences for cancelling are well documented in their T&Cs.