Cruise Critic Community
brekin67

Laminating the Visa

I am taking a foreign exchange student from Ecuador on our next cruise. Prior to leaving Ecuador, she laminated her VISA. She had no problems with it at the airport.

It is my understanding that it is not permissible to laminate a VISA, because that is considered tampering.

Do you know if she will have trouble when she tries to board the ship in Galveston, Cozumel or Progresso? Thank You.

I am taking a foreign exchange student from Ecuador on our next cruise. Prior to leaving Ecuador, she laminated her VISA. She had no problems with it at the airport.

It is my understanding that it is not permissible to laminate a VISA, because that is considered tampering.

Do you know if she will have trouble when she tries to board the ship in Galveston, Cozumel or Progresso? Thank You.

I would definitely check with the US State dept and/or Carnival asap. You don't want to be at the port or in Mexico having that problem. You might want to check with the Ecuadorian embassy and see if she can get another visa issued that is not laminated.

Edited by bobsfamily

You may also want to check with the student's placement officer. Depending on their age or program there may be restrictions on travel outside of the country.

Out of curiosity, how did they laminate their visa? It's been a few years, but Students at Northwestern University all had their visa's as a full page in their passport, almost like a sticker that was put on the page.

This one is going to require some work on your end, and any one of these issues can stop you from taking them with.

1) Verify they can re-enter the country with a valid SEVIS number FIRST, if they cannot, end of cruise.

2) Verify with the state department, the US state department that is, that the laminated copy will not pose an issue, if so, they will need a new one re-issued, I would almost recommend it anyway if they say it "might" cause problems. If there's a security threat in the US while away, the "might" could become a "definite".

3) Verify with CARNIVAL they will allow the student/s to travel with you. Depending on their age, you may not have the right to leave the country with them at all via CARNIVAL'S rules. (if under 18, there is a very good chance that will be the problem)

I am confused?

Does this student need a visa to enter Mexico or is this the visa she used to enter the USA??

Carnival will just want to see her passport.

IF she got into the USA with this visa then she shouldn't have any trouble getting back into the USA when the ship returns. I have never seen anyone in Mexico ask for any supporting docs. They just want your sign n sail card and a picture ID.

I am confused?

Does this student need a visa to enter Mexico or is this the visa she used to enter the USA??

Carnival will just want to see her passport.

IF she got into the USA with this visa then she shouldn't have any trouble getting back into the USA when the ship returns. I have never seen anyone in Mexico ask for any supporting docs. They just want your sign n sail card and a picture ID.

I never thought of that. I thought the port countries didn't check any docs because Carnival had already checked, and sent the information from check-in's to the countries ahead of time, verifying everyone met the requirements to visit.

Everything I check says people with an Ecuadorian Passport require a Visa to enter Mexico. There's some info I do not understand about having a US VISA though. So add into my previous Post 4) check with the Ecuador Embassy to ensure a visa to Mexico is not needed.

Here's the Mexico Visa info for Ecuadorian Nationals

National Ecuador (EC) /Destination Mexico (MX)

vi_de.gif

Mexico (MX)

in_on_no.gif

Passport required.

- Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be

valid on arrival.

- Warning: if departing from the USA (regardless of any

destination passport exemptions), a valid passport and/or

accepted departure document For details, click here is required by the

US immigration authorities.

Passport Exemptions:

- Holders of emergency or temporary passports.

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 180 days:

- for holders of a visa issued by the USA.

Minors:

- Passport not required for alien minors (up to/incl.17 years

of age) registered in their parent/guardian passport,

provided travelling with the passport holder.

- All minors under 14 years of age, when travelling alone,

should be met by an adult.

Additional Information:

- A valid Mexican visa in an expired passport is accepted,

provided also carrying a valid passport.

Warning:

- Visitors not holding return/onward tickets For details, click here co

uld be refused entry.

CHECK TINEWS/N1 - SIMPLIFICATION OF TIMATIC

Timaticweb Version 1.3

19 August 2015sc_co.gif

Edited by pbsteve

Thank you for your comments.

We were able to resolve the issue with the consulate, the placement agency and her parents.

Both students have M stamp on their Visa for multiple re-entry back in to USA.

We were told we would need the VISA and passport for the cruise.

The agency had us send them a form (DS-19) that they will sign and return to us. That was also needed for the Cruise. The placement agency said lots of students go on cruises to Mexico and they have not had any issues. I think we are fine now.