HAL considering no longer offering set seatings at dinner

Jade13

It feels so awkward to be the only couple at a large table, like you gave a party and nobody came. I would have asked if we could be moved to a smaller table.

I don't know. WE've always had a table for 2 on HAL, so on our first Celebrity cruise we requested a 2-top and expected it. We were quite surprised on the first night to be shown to a table with 3 other couples. No one obnoxious, but we just prefer to eat by ourselves.

On the way out I spoke to the Maitre d' and asked to be moved to a two. There weren't any twos, but he offered an 8-top (with no one else) which was in a secluded corner of the dining room. Worked out great. There were two other couples in the area - another at an 8-top and one at a 4-top - with an excellent steward and asst. We had a window and switched around to various seats during the cruise. It was no more awkward than the two of us eating at home at a table for six.

A single, though, does make it tougher. A single at a 2-top would work, but not anything bigger.

It's only on Quantum class ships and will not be deployed on any other ships. The "set" times in those ships is called. Dynamic Dining Classic. It involves prebooking in a set order rotation amongst complimentary restaurants.

QUOTE]

Call it a different name but in fact all it is call it FIXED DINING. Duh!

Do the same thing on HAL..... call it any name.... in the end... if you can pre-book then it is FIXED DINING! All it does is put in your requested table... but in any dining room... and everyone sitting at your table get up and leaves and new diner comes to you table while you are dining? Yuk! They had better make all tables to table for two! It become a mess.If your veggie and meatloaf are cooked at 5pm and you MIGHT get your at 9.30. Nice and fresh!!!!

If you are going to have all of these options.... you need many dining options, not just Pinnacle, Tarindnd MDR. You need at least several... and smaller rooms. Take the MDR and change it as P&O have done on STATENDAM to PACIFIC EDEN. That makes sense.

The first thing I said on the phone to reservations was that I hoped that they planned to have a lot of 2 tops (plus 4 tops).

Otherwise people will be waiting and waiting for tables

Edited by Jade13

Just made 2 reservations for the Caribbean - December 2016 & Spring 2017. We were offered a choice of fixed early, fixed late, or open seatings. The reservations are showing in the HAL system as fixed late, which is what we chose. That, coupled with all the people who already have fixed seating reservations on the Koningsdam, provides a reasonable amount of proof that fixed isn't going away in the near term - at least for me.

We have a table for 2 on the rail that we like and I always email HAL months before the cruise and ask for that particular table and we have

always managed to have it. We love it as we can speak to any folks going by that want to chat or say hello and can look down at the lower dining area and yet see out the windows along the side from our position.

If you get a picture of the dining room levels with all the tables numbered

you can ask for what you want by number and location ahead of time.

At least it works for us!

My title said that they were "considering no longer offering"... That is what I was told. How is that a definitive statement? :confused:

There's a huge difference between:

"HAL (is) considering no longer offering set seating" (statement, your subject)

and

"Is HAL considering doing away with the set seating ..." (question, your first sentence in the body of the post.)

Do you really not see the difference? A statement claims that is what is going on. A question does not.

It was very upsetting to read the subject line, as I am one who does not want HAL to consider such a thing while I am still cruising.

There's a huge difference between:

"HAL (is) considering no longer offering set seating" (statement, your subject)

and

"Is HAL considering doing away with the set seating ..." (question, your first sentence in the body of the post.)

Do you really not see the difference? A statement claims that is what is going on. A question does not.

It was very upsetting to read the subject line, as I am one who does not want HAL to consider such a thing while I am still cruising.

I can certainly understand you being upset by the subject line, as are many of us who love fixed dining, but based on what Jade was told, this definitive statement is entirely accurate.

The question in the first sentence of the body of post is largely rhetorical. Based on the information that follows, the answer is, of course, "Yes".

The question in the first sentence of the body of post is largely rhetorical. Based on the information that follows, the answer is, of course, "Yes".

It would have been so much better had Jade posed the question in the subject line, and not left it for later. It was a shame she chose to post as she did, because it was upsetting.

We all know that Seattle can give out incorrect information. It would have been nicer if Jade had phrased the entire post---including subject line---as if she were asking if anyone else had heard the same thing.

Sometimes it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

It would have been so much better had Jade posed the question in the subject line, and not left it for later. It was a shame she chose to post as she did, because it was upsetting.

We all know that Seattle can give out incorrect information. It would have been nicer if Jade had phrased the entire post---including subject line---as if she were asking if anyone else had heard the same thing.

Chalk it up to human nature. Jade was told something by HAL and wanted to share the information here. Fortunately, you are someone who reads entire posts and entire threads and, with your experience, can put them in perspective. Including single source information coming from Seattle!

Your last sentence should be repeated at the top of every page on these boards!

Upon reflecting on this topic, particularly as I understand the dining options that will be available on the Koningsdam, if one chose Fixed Seating and one also decided to try all of the other venues available for dinner, one may show up in the MDR for dinner once, maybe twice on a 7 day cruise. An auditor would consider that to be a very unproductive use of the MDR Stewards' time on the job who were assigned to that table.

While I support the concept of two seatings, given the potential loss of productivity for their MDR staff, I can understand why HAL might be considering such a change.

When I booked a 7 day cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam, I purposely chose Open Seating for the first time ever. Why? I knew that I wanted to try the other dinner options during the cruise. I dined only twice in the MDR during those 7 days. Did I like the Open Seating? No. Both times, I had pleasant people with whom to dine. But, the having to introduce ourselves and make inconsequential small talk became "old, very old" very quickly!

Edited by rkacruiser

I'm waiting for the rumor that says you'll be able to stay in your room in your robe while food is delivered out of a chute - on demand.

What? That's not an option already?

I was really looking forward to the on-demand food chute whilst lounging in my robe.

Do you think you would feel the same way, though, had you sailed alone?

That question, though not directed to me, absolutely resonated with me, RuthC. One of the things that got me through my very first cruise (traveling by myself, recently widowed -- you know what that is like) was the great fixed dining table. It was wonderful to have a specific place to be, with specific people, every night. That dinner table truly increased my enjoyment of the cruise.

If I'd had the unfortunate experience of being the only person at the table, I hope I'd have thought to ask the Maitre D' to move me.

I truly hope that HAL continues to offer fixed dining.

Upon reflecting on this topic, particularly as I understand the dining options that will be available on the Koningsdam, if one chose Fixed Seating and one also decided to try all of the other venues available for dinner, one may show up in the MDR for dinner once, maybe twice on a 7 day cruise. An auditor would consider that to be a very unproductive use of the MDR Stewards' time on the job who were assigned to that table.

While I support the concept of two seatings, given the potential loss of productivity for their MDR staff, I can understand why HAL might be considering such a change.

I do not think the alternative venues are large enough to serve all the passengers every night should they choose to not dine in the Main Dining Room. And I am one of those passengers who does not choose to dine in the alternative dining venues. Over all my cruises, I have only missed five dinners in the Main Dining Room. I do not particularly like the alternative dining venues and while I do not want to stop anyone else from so choosing, that choice should no leave me with a less than satisfactory dining choice either. There are passengers who do not choose the alternative dining venues -- for any number of reasons. I choose Fixed Early Dining at a table for 4/6 (depending on how many of my family members I'm traveling with) and I attend dinner in the Main Dining Room every night. I should not be penalized for my decision simply because there are others who decide they want something else.

Also, I have noticed that after the waiting period for Fixed Dining has passed (usually 15-20 minutes after the posted meal times), the vacant tables are used for passengers with open seating, so the dining stewards are not left with too many empty tables. On all of my cruises since the Open Dining was introduced, vacant tables in the Fixed Seating section of the Main Dining Room have been utilized for Open Dining passengers. The tables, by and large, are not standing empty for every meal.

The following is from the Holland America webpage for the ms Koningsdam for The Dining Room info.:

FRESH TAKE: THE DINING ROOM

The main Dining Room aboard Koningsdam will span two floors and be framed by views of the sea. What's new: stylish and sophisticated interiors inspired by the latest global trends — anchored by a copper-sheathed wine tower showcasing the great breadth of our cellars. From a boutique Walla Walla white wine to a rich red Bordeaux, our great vintages are elevated from the pages of the wine list and made visible, significant, celebrated — a testament to wine’s central place in the enjoyment of food, friends, and life.

“Our guests, many of whom are world travelers, are accustomed to dining in extraordinary restaurants,” notes Michael Smith, Senior Vice President of Marine Hotel Operations at Holland America Line. “We want to keep pace with their expectations, and also, set the stage for the exceptional culinary experience to come.”

Menus in the Dining Room will reflect the latest signature dishes from the influential chefs who comprise our Culinary Council, along with classic favorites, vegetarian options, and regionally inspired cuisine. Guests can choose whether to arrange a pre-set seating and dining time, or to arrive “As You Wish®,” following the desires of the day.

Why not check out the Holland America Line website, lots of information, if you look for it, better than Rumors or Chatty Gossip.

Donald of the Palm Bay Cruise Couple.

What I posted was "a shame", and it could have been "nicer"? If my posts upset you so much, please stop reading them.

Edited by Jade13

Why not check out the Holland America Line website, lots of information, if you look for it, better than Rumors or Chatty Gossip.

Donald of the Palm Bay Cruise Couple.

Mostly because the website is known for having contradictory and outdated information. Go to three different pages and get three different answers. CC members often have a more current and exact knowledge of what's going on than does the website.

Do you think you would feel the same way, though, had you sailed alone?

Since a couple of others also answered, I thought I'd give my two cents. :o

As a solo cruiser, I enjoy the open seating dining option. I enjoy meeting new people throughout the cruise and -- especially when I sail on a larger ship -- it is nice to have an ever larger number of people onboard that you recognize enough to have a small interaction with.

But that's just me. Everyone has their own preferences. And to be fair, most of my cruises are in the two-week range. I might feel differently if I took longer cruises.....

(I never have thought of myself as very outgoing, but reading through a lot of the threads here on CC, I must be more outgoing than I thought, since I really like to be out and about on the ship all day -- when not ashore -- rather than in my cabin/on a balcony. And I really like meeting others over dinner. :))