Cruise Critic Community
ladybub101

Sneaking a 5th person into hotel room

If max occupancy is 4, is it difficult to sneak another person (a child) into a hotel room in Fort Lauderdale? Keep in mind we would want to use the free breakfast and complimentary airport shuttle...

:confused:

I've never known a chain hotel that counted heads or cared.

(Since you said "free breakfast", I'm assuming a hotel chain like Hampton, Fairfield, etc. vs. the more up-scale chains that don't provide free anything. They might be fussed.)

Oh, and the shuttle driver doesn't know how many you've told the front desk about. I've never even see them care whether you're staying at the property or walking to the hotel next door.

Edited by srlafleur

I've never known a chain hotel that counted heads or cared.

(Since you said "free breakfast", I'm assuming a hotel chain like Hampton, Fairfield, etc. vs. the more up-scale chains that don't provide free anything. They might be fussed.)

Oh, and the shuttle driver doesn't know how many you've told the front desk about. I've never even see them care whether you're staying at the property or walking to the hotel next door.

Thank you...this is reassuring! And yes, I'm talking chain hotels!

Thank you...this is reassuring! And yes, I'm talking chain hotels!

You're welcome.

Just don't say anything about the extra person and don't all line up at the desk at check-in for a head count. Once check-in is done, for sure no one will notice or care.

One possible complication: some hotels require you to sign up (and I presume that includes telling them how many passengers) for shuttles from the hotel to the port. If you are staying at one of those hotels, you won't be able to hide the number of passengers (whether they will care or not is another question).

If max occupancy is 4, is it difficult to sneak another person (a child) into a hotel room in Fort Lauderdale? Keep in mind we would want to use the free breakfast and complimentary airport shuttle...

Well that could be a problem.

They may count people for both shuttle and for breakfast.

Call the hotel or write to them and just ask if you can have five people.

You know there is a saying that honesty is the best policy and just talk to them about it.

Keith

Too, are you talking a 3 year old or a 12 year old?

Much depends on the hotel. Some do give a maximum person count for a room.

Where is the 5th person going to sleep in a room for four?

When you say "sneak in", what are you trying to hide? Did they tell you that you could not bring in a 5th person?

Are you booking with the hotel or a discount site?

The youngest is 5. For a few hours Of sleep, i would share a bed with my 5 and 7 year old if no rollaway was available.

I was just going by the max occupancy rates on the hotel websites I've been researching. I assume if the rooms are max 4 then they would not allow 5...but yes, I will have to give them a call and "shop around" for one that's lenient!

Thanks!

Well that could be a problem.

They may count people for both shuttle and for breakfast.

Call the hotel or write to them and just ask if you can have five people.

You know there is a saying that honesty is the best policy and just talk to them about it.

Keith

Couldn't have said it better. Honesty is the best policy....always.

The youngest is 5. For a few hours Of sleep, i would share a bed with my 5 and 7 year old if no rollaway was available.

I was just going by the max occupancy rates on the hotel websites I've been researching. I assume if the rooms are max 4 then they would not allow 5...but yes, I will have to give them a call and "shop around" for one that's lenient!

Thanks!

Occupancy laws are dictated for fire code for insurance purposes only.

Just call the hotel.

We were staying at the hyatt place 17th street convention center hotel and were 6 in the room ( two doubles and a sofa bed). Any problem with breakfast or shuttle from the airport. They provide a shuttle to the port but it is $7pp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were staying at the hyatt place 17th street convention center hotel and were 6 in the room ( two doubles and a sofa bed). Any problem with breakfast or shuttle from the airport. They provide a shuttle to the port but it is $7pp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't bother with the per person shuttle to the port. Use two cabs and you will save half the cost! (There are larger van cabs, but 6 and luggage, might not work. But could.)

If the room allows and has sleep space for 6, then all would be good for airport shuttle and breakfast.

The hotels we have stayed at that have free breakfast, I don't think they even paid enough attention to the people eating to know whether they even stayed there or walked in off the street lol. Places like Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, Country Inn & Suites, Fairfield Inn & Suites.

As said, the shuttles are where the issue might be. Many of the hotels around Ft Lauderdale have a cruise and stay package that includes port shuttle, but usually it says "cruise port shuttle for 2, extra charge for more people", so make sure you look at that. Depending on which hotel you choose, a cab might be cheaper than paying for the extra 3 people to take the shuttle. Read the small print or click on "rate details" so you aren't surprised by extra fees.

We stayed at the Airport Springhill Suites ... breakfast and shuttles (from airport and to the port next day) were included in the price. I booked 2 rooms on my senior rate and our party of 10 increased to 12 before sailing. They were well aware of how many people they were shuttling, but nobody seemed to have a problem with it. It was 5 adults and 7 kids between 6 and 15.

Couldn't have said it better. Honesty is the best policy....always.

Think of the example you would be setting for your children. Does that matter?

Think of the example you would be setting for your children. Does that matter?

My kids don't waste their time online on such mundane things as looking at hotel websites or how many people might be "allowed" per room. Granted when they get older and are booking their own hotel rooms, they might find out their parents fibbed about it way back when and their whole outlook might change, but I doubt it lol.

My kids don't waste their time online on such mundane things as looking at hotel websites or how many people might be "allowed" per room. Granted when they get older and are booking their own hotel rooms, they might find out their parents fibbed about it way back when and their whole outlook might change, but I doubt it lol.

No, but they note the "fib". And they note how you drive. And probably note your attitude about following rules or not following them. Helps them learn to make "good" decisions, or "bad" ones.

No, but they note the "fib". And they note how you drive. And probably note your attitude about following rules or not following them. Helps them learn to make "good" decisions, or "bad" ones.

OK, we are getting a little deep into it with such a basic topic. It's a bit of a stretch to compare putting 5 into a hotel room to bad parenting. In this regard, how do they "note the fib"? Dad walks around bragging that he booked a room for 4 for the family of 5 to stay in?

Kids are sponges, they absorb far more than we give them credit for. As I mentioned, they detect your attitude on right and wrong- if you have a "as long as we don't get caught, it's OK" mentality, or "no, we don't do that, it is just not right" attitude.

We stayed at the Airport Springhill Suites ... breakfast and shuttles (from airport and to the port next day) were included in the price. I booked 2 rooms on my senior rate and our party of 10 increased to 12 before sailing. They were well aware of how many people they were shuttling, but nobody seemed to have a problem with it. It was 5 adults and 7 kids between 6 and 15.

This is absolutely ridiculous and I can promise they were talking about you.

Twelve people in two rooms is embarrassing.

This is absolutely ridiculous and I can promise they were talking about you.

Twelve people in two rooms is embarrassing.

Always looking for that LIKE button...

I prefer to teach them that family sticks together and doesn't split apart, including in hotels. . In all honesty people, I'm too afraid to take the chance and will find a suite room. I Better get a 5 star while I'm at it so I can teach them that we don't settle for any less.