Some licenses no longer valid for flights, impact to cruising?

Interesting article where some states drivers licenses will not be able to be used for flights starting in 2016. Wonder if/how this will trickle down to cruises? Time for all to start getting their passports?

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/drivers-licenses-new-york-domestic-flight-real-id?xid=soc_socialflow_facebook_tl

I know that here in Alabama, they offer an enhanced driver's license called a "Star ID" that we must have in order to be compliant with these DHS "REAL ID" rules. To get one, we have to provide three pieces of additional identification at the DMV - on proving identity and DOB, another proving SSN, and another proving place of residence. I have a passport, so I am not concerned. Besides that, I'd have to pay $35 for a new DL, and I have to go to a very inconvenient place to get it.

The good news is that I DHS has not set the official enforcement date yet. It was to be 12/1/2014 for persons born after 12/1/1964 and 12/1/2017 for those born later. Now, it's "No sooner than 2016". Regardless, the best advice for us cruisers is to just get a passport.

I'm Canadian so this doesn't directly affect me (I need a passport to get to almost any cruise terminal), but I am never without a passport even when I travel domestically. Beyond that, I always keep my passport valid, I like to know that I can pick up and go any time.

In NY, there is an option to renew early and upgrade to the new license. It will cost $76 to get the upgraded one and extend my expiration from 10/19 to 10/23. Probably seems worth it, although maybe not if I always keep my passport current.

Edited by denatravels

I just renewed my license a few weeks ago. I was told by the Nevada DMV that this federal program will not be implemented till January of 2020....they extended the date from 2016. The REAL ID looks just like my old license except it has a small gold star on it. It was no additional charge to get it. I did have to produce more forms of ID (from a long list) to apply for it.

Why on earth would anyone try to enter a foreign country without a passport? Makes no sense to me.

In the same vein, DHS can go suck a lemon.

This is talking about DOMESTIC flights. I didn't realize that I could use my global entry card (in addition to my passport, which I would rather leave at home when flying domestic)-- I think I will pass.

Interesting article where some states drivers licenses will not be able to be used for flights starting in 2016. Wonder if/how this will trickle down to cruises? Time for all to start getting their passports?

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/drivers-licenses-new-york-domestic-flight-real-id?xid=soc_socialflow_facebook_tl

That is why everyone should have a passport.

New Mexico has been in the same boat (pun intended). For purposes of identification I ALWAYS carry my concealed weapons permit.

I once got the the run-around and "extra scrutiny" from a NY Port Authority cop because he happened to see my PA Concealed Carry Permit when I was checking in for a flight in JFK.

I should note that I was not armed at the time (I know better than that!). He apparently took offense that a "nobody like you" (his words) was authorized to carry a weapon in my home state. "Why do you think you need a gun, anyway?" (I really wanted to ask by "Why do you?" but I didn't want to be held there any longer than necessary.)

Seriously...if you're cruising, flying, and not using a passport. People, get with the program. ;-)

I agree that everyone should have a passport for cruising, but I don't want to carry my passport to fly domestically.

I never heard of a passport card. My passport doesn't expire for another 6 years, can I get one now or do I need wait until I renew again?

I agree that everyone should have a passport for cruising, but I don't want to carry my passport to fly domestically.

I never heard of a passport card. My passport doesn't expire for another 6 years, can I get one now or do I need wait until I renew again?

You can get a passport card anytime. Depending on your situation, you should be able to do it by mail for $30.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html

Edited by clarea
In NY, there is an option to renew early and upgrade to the new license. It will cost $76 to get the upgraded one and extend my expiration from 10/19 to 10/23. Probably seems worth it, although maybe not if I always keep my passport current.

Seems weird that you would have to show your social security card regardless of if you have a passport to establish US identity (I was looking just to see). Guess I'll be just using my passport since I don't drive so therefore really have no reason to bother with a driver's license. (Beyond "somewhere in my stuff" I have no clue where my social security card is and since other than this stupid requirement in NY to show it I have no reason since the passport is acceptable for any other thing like that employment eligibility verification - heck even the social security website itself says there is really no need for a paper copy of it in this day and age - way to be behind the times, NY state - so I really don't want to waste time going to the social security office to wait and wait and get one JUST for the stupid "enhanced license". And honestly I thought I remembered having to show my passport or something when I applied for the license to begin with.)

Seems weird that you would have to show your social security card regardless of if you have a passport to establish US identity (I was looking just to see). Guess I'll be just using my passport since I don't drive so therefore really have no reason to bother with a driver's license. (Beyond "somewhere in my stuff" I have no clue where my social security card is and since other than this stupid requirement in NY to show it I have no reason since the passport is acceptable for any other thing like that employment eligibility verification - heck even the social security website itself says there is really no need for a paper copy of it in this day and age - way to be behind the times, NY state - so I really don't want to waste time going to the social security office to wait and wait and get one JUST for the stupid "enhanced license". And honestly I thought I remembered having to show my passport or something when I applied for the license to begin with.)

Check with your state, many jurisdictions now offer a photo id card for those who do not have driver licenses.

For example, in Ontario, Canada, (my local jurisdiction), one can apply for such a card. It looks identical to a driver's license except for the color.

Check with your state, many jurisdictions now offer a photo id card for those who do not have driver licenses.

For example, in Ontario, Canada, (my local jurisdiction), one can apply for such a card. It looks identical to a driver's license except for the color.

I have a passport. Really no need for a state-issued ID. Just find the need for a dead tree social security card when you have a passport already to prove ID in order to GET an ID absurd.

Doesn't RCL require passports before boarding.