Some licenses no longer valid for flights, impact to cruising?

Seems weird that you would have to show your social security card regardless of if you have a passport to establish US identity (I was looking just to see). Guess I'll be just using my passport since I don't drive so therefore really have no reason to bother with a driver's license. (Beyond "somewhere in my stuff" I have no clue where my social security card is and since other than this stupid requirement in NY to show it I have no reason since the passport is acceptable for any other thing like that employment eligibility verification - heck even the social security website itself says there is really no need for a paper copy of it in this day and age - way to be behind the times, NY state - so I really don't want to waste time going to the social security office to wait and wait and get one JUST for the stupid "enhanced license". And honestly I thought I remembered having to show my passport or something when I applied for the license to begin with.)

You have NO state ID? What do you show at places when they ask for ID? Passport??? I don't think that would work for me (and I don't drive anymore, either). For example, I have been getting robo-calls for several days telling me I need ID to enter my neighborhood this week because it may have limited access for the pope's visit-- wouldn't you need some kind of photo ID with an address for something like that?

I know that here in Alabama, they offer an enhanced driver's license called a "Star ID" that we must have in order to be compliant with these DHS "REAL ID" rules. To get one, we have to provide three pieces of additional identification at the DMV - on proving identity and DOB, another proving SSN, and another proving place of residence. I have a passport, so I am not concerned. Besides that, I'd have to pay $35 for a new DL, and I have to go to a very inconvenient place to get it.

The good news is that I DHS has not set the official enforcement date yet. It was to be 12/1/2014 for persons born after 12/1/1964 and 12/1/2017 for those born later. Now, it's "No sooner than 2016". Regardless, the best advice for us cruisers is to just get a passport.

It's not an enhanced drivers license, it is a drivers license that complies with the REAL ID act. An Enhanced Drivers License may be used as a stand alone document to prove citizenship and ID at land border crossings and cruises within the WHTI. I believe only 5 states presently offer a bona fide EDL as an option.

Why on earth would anyone try to enter a foreign country without a passport? Makes no sense to me.

In the same vein, DHS can go suck a lemon.

Because they can, at least under certain circumstances. Everyone has different travel needs and different travel documentation as a result. Cruising on a closed loop cruise is a very low risk endeavor for most passengers and as long as they are comfortable assuming the risk (and perform their due diligence) why would anyone else care what they use?

Thanks for info. I didn't know about the new rule.

There is no new rule. As of January 2016 the government could make a rule that the licences of those states that don't comply with Real ID would not be accepted for domestic flights. They don't have to make such a rule. They have not made such a rule.They may never make such a rule. In other words much ado over nothing!

You have NO state ID? What do you show at places when they ask for ID? Passport??? I don't think that would work for me (and I don't drive anymore, either). For example, I have been getting robo-calls for several days telling me I need ID to enter my neighborhood this week because it may have limited access for the pope's visit-- wouldn't you need some kind of photo ID with an address for something like that?

If the pope visited Bed-Stuy, I would be shocked.

I *do* have a driver's license - just not the silly enhanced one (that apparently barely meets the standards the other states have). That said, I have yet to be asked for it anywhere, even with "See ID" on the back of my cards.

I don't want to waste time sitting in the social security office or tearing my apartment apart for a piece of dead tree paper I don't need. I don't see why if you present a passport as additional ID for your license you still have to have a card which is obsolete in this world anymore.

Interesting article where some states drivers licenses will not be able to be used for flights starting in 2016. Wonder if/how this will trickle down to cruises? Time for all to start getting their passports?

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/drivers-licenses-new-york-domestic-flight-real-id?xid=soc_socialflow_facebook_tl

We got our passports in 1997 as my husband is a naturalized U.S. citizen and we figured Jamaica would never figure out a German birth certificate and U.S. naturalization papers. Now with as much as we cruise, would never be w/o a passport. We still use DL to fly within the US and PR, but not a big deal to us if we have to start using a passport instead.

I *do* have a driver's license - just not the silly enhanced one (that apparently barely meets the standards the other states have). That said, I have yet to be asked for it anywhere, even with "See ID" on the back of my cards.

"see ID" is a dangerous urban legend that barely protects you from anything. A credit card that is not signed is invalid and should not be accepted by a merchant.

99% of identity theft is done with hacked data put on duplicate cards that have valid signatures.

Lastly and most dangerous of all, handing a clerk your license gives them everything they need to use your card on the Internet. Your card number, expiration date, and the CVC number on the back. That with your name and address (credit card billing address AVS) on your license is all that the clerk needs to buy anything on the Internet.

All major credit card have zero liability, so who are you protecting?

And then hope that they don't have a problem or emergency and have to fly home.

Been on 11 cruises and never once with 4 peeps in our family have we ever had a problem. Very rarely do you hear of issues of people being stuck in a foreign country because of "some issue or emergency " on a cruise and now they'll never be able to come home. 😉

Come on people, if it were necessary then the government wouldn't allow it.

No need to spend $440 if I don't have too for the miniscule chance of something happening.

Rant over..... Sorry

...No need to spend $440 if I don't have too for the miniscule chance of something happening.

Rant over..... Sorry

Everyone has to decide on the level of risk they are willing to accept. I take no issue with those who choose not to invest in passports when they may only use them two or three times.

People often forget that one might want/need to interrupt their voyage because of some emergency back home.

I do not think I have been on a single cruise where I have not observed at least one group departing the ship with suitcases in tow part way through.

Been on 11 cruises and never once with 4 peeps in our family have we ever had a problem. Very rarely do you hear of issues of people being stuck in a foreign country because of "some issue or emergency " on a cruise and now they'll never be able to come home. 😉

Come on people, if it were necessary then the government wouldn't allow it.

No need to spend $440 if I don't have too for the miniscule chance of something happening.

Rant over..... Sorry

Wow! If it were necessary then the government wouldn't allow it? Minuscule chance of something happening?

Guess you don't have life, auto or health insurance. After all probably a minuscule chance you'd ever need them.

When I renewed my Colorado DL last year online, I didn't have to submit any extra documentation or pay any extra to get the star on my license. I didn't even know about the star until I got the new license in the mail.

If I'm going out of the country, whether on a closed loop cruise departing from the U.S. or a one way, I always have a passport. I realize there's a slim to none chance of anything happening to me, but I like the peace of mind the passport gives me. And as I didn't have a DL until I was 22, the passport was a great piece of ID to have in addition to my state-issued ID, which I think everyone should have.

Hope it doesn't for you because it will likely cost a lot more. I also don't totally get where $440 comes from (it's $30 extra for the enhanced part of the card), but ok.

So funny!!! I work in Canarsie, and I wouldn't expect to see him there, either!! But since I live in east Midtown, and I would like to get home on Friday, I think proof of address might be useful!!

I agree that everyone should have a passport for cruising, but I don't want to carry my passport to fly domestically.

Why not? I always carry my passport when I fly travel domestically. The reason is, I now have two pieces of ID (my DL and my passport) that will get me on a plane. I had a client who lost her DL on a trip to my office and it was an absolute nightmare for her to get home. I had to rent a car for her in my name and let her drive home (800 miles). And in most states, getting a replacement DL is much more of a task than getting a lost passport replaced.

I never heard of a passport card. My passport doesn't expire for another 6 years, can I get one now or do I need wait until I renew again?

You can get a passport card now. There is an additional fee for it, you just have to send in the application.

And then hope that they don't have a problem or emergency and have to fly home.

Big difference between "required" and "recommended".

Sure, it's probably a really good idea to bring your passport on a closed-loop cruise, but not required.

Everyone has to decide on the level of risk they are willing to accept. I take no issue with those who choose not to invest in passports when they may only use them two or three times.

People often forget that one might want/need to interrupt their voyage because of some emergency back home.

I do not think I have been on a single cruise where I have not observed at least one group departing the ship with suitcases in tow part way through.

It would have to be a very serious emergency and it would be one that was covered by my travel insurance. The Consulate has the authority to waive the passport requirement for an emergency and if I had to return home it would fit that definition. I would also have to know for sure that I would be able to get home from where I was. I read about one family on here that decided to return home mid-cruise and they ended up getting home a couple hours before their travel companions that had stayed with the ship. No sense leaving the ship if flights aren't immediately available.

Wow! If it were necessary then the government wouldn't allow it? Minuscule chance of something happening?

Guess you don't have life, auto or health insurance. After all probably a minuscule chance you'd ever need them.

Deciding to get a passport solely for a closed loop cruise is similar to deciding to get non-obligatory insurance- assess the risk, the costs involved, your ability to absorb the costs and your tolerance of the risks involved. One also has to look at how often one travels, we were only able to travel once a year or every other year, had we been able to cruise several times a year that would have been factored into the equation. Fact is millions travel on closed loop cruises with documentation other than a passport so the odds are definitely in your favor.

Hope it doesn't for you because it will likely cost a lot more. I also don't totally get where $440 comes from (it's $30 extra for the enhanced part of the card), but ok.

When we first cruised passports would have cost us between $800 and $900 for the 7 of us. $440 indicates more than 2 people traveling, that's all:).

Although this does not affect me, I only read about this here.

I wonder how many people will be shocked when they attempt to cruise and would book a last minute deal (on a travel site and not read the fine print) (buyer beware:eek:) and get a big surprise of not being able to cruise.

All's I can say is wow.

Although this does not affect me, I only read about this here.

I wonder how many people will be shocked when they attempt to cruise and would book a last minute deal (on a travel site and not read the fine print) (buyer beware:eek:) and get a big surprise of not being able to cruise.

All's I can say is wow.

It does not affect anyone!!! They are not rejecting those IDs. The whole story is hype. It is something they could put into effect but they have not, nor have they said they ever will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk