Some licenses no longer valid for flights, impact to cruising?

Deciding to get a passport solely for a closed loop cruise is similar to deciding to get non-obligatory insurance- assess the risk, the costs involved, your ability to absorb the costs and your tolerance of the risks involved. One also has to look at how often one travels, we were only able to travel once a year or every other year, had we been able to cruise several times a year that would have been factored into the equation. Fact is millions travel on closed loop cruises with documentation other than a passport so the odds are definitely in your favor.

Thank you. This was my point exactly. I'm not opposed to folks getting and using passports for closed loop cruises, but people get on here and act like the sky is falling or will be falling if you don't have a passport. Will it be more difficult to get home if by chance something does happen? Yes- But again for the millions of people that cruise every week, the chances are slim.

Hope it doesn't for you because it will likely cost a lot more. I also don't totally get where $440 comes from (it's $30 extra for the enhanced part of the card), but ok.

Last time I checked passports were $110 x 4 family members. That's where the $440 came from, as opposed to $0 We've been cruising for 15 years so we would have had to renew so really it would have cost me $960

Although this does not affect me, I only read about this here.

I wonder how many people will be shocked when they attempt to cruise and would book a last minute deal (on a travel site and not read the fine print) (buyer beware:eek:) and get a big surprise of not being able to cruise.

All's I can say is wow.

As things currently stand, not many people will be shocked because despite the misleading statement that initiated this thread, no such requirement has been put in place and there is some well-considered opinion that it may never be instituted. Whatever happens, you can be reasonably certain that the institution of such a requirement will be accompanied by massive amounts of publicity and shouldn't be imposed suddenly or without due notice.

It would have to be a very serious emergency and it would be one that was covered by my travel insurance. The Consulate has the authority to waive the passport requirement for an emergency and if I had to return home it would fit that definition. I would also have to know for sure that I would be able to get home from where I was. I read about one family on here that decided to return home mid-cruise and they ended up getting home a couple hours before their travel companions that had stayed with the ship. No sense leaving the ship if flights aren't immediately available.

I've read a few stories here about being left in port without passports and spending a lot of time and money to get home. That's not a medical emergency, so I am not sure how travel insurance would handle it. Maybe under their "delay" clause? The bottom line is while a passport is not required for closed-loop cruises leaving from the USA, it might be a very good idea to have one. If not, then there is some risk involved. And if you do choose to travel with your passport, keep it with you while in port. It does no good for those rare emergencies if locked in the safe in your stateroom.

I believe that most people who are hesitant to gets passports feel that way due to the cost. And I do understand that for a family of four on a $2,000 cruise, spending another $500 to get passports will be a large expense compared to the vacation's cost. But, it's a one-time expense, so the next time you cruise (at least within 10 years) you're covered. And there are additional benefits to having a passport. As discussed with the topic of this thread, it means not having to worry about the REAL ID rules once they are enforced. Plus, you can use a passport as one single piece of ID for many situations, such as starting a new job where you must comply with E-verify rules.

For those who choose not to get passports for these cruises, they are taking a small risk. The same goes for those who choose to,fly in on embarkation day, or choose to forgo travel insurance. Millions of people accept these risks every year and have no problems. Personally, i don't want to be that "one in a million" who ends up writing a story on Cruise Critic about being left in port or missing my plane or losing thousands on a cruise because I wasn't willing to insure my risks.

Hope it doesn't for you because it will likely cost a lot more. I also don't totally get where $440 comes from (it's $30 extra for the enhanced part of the card), but ok.

Last time I checked passports were $110 x 4 family members. That's where the $440 came from, as opposed to $0 We've been cruising for 15 years so we would have had to renew so really it would have cost me $960

So you only plan to travel within the USA or take cruises? Without a passport you can't fly to a resort in the Caribbean. You can't visit Ireland. I love cruises, done over 50, but there are many great places to visit in the world. Having a passport means I can fly to them anytime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've read a few stories here about being left in port without passports and spending a lot of time and money to get home. That's not a medical emergency, so I am not sure how travel insurance would handle it. Maybe under their "delay" clause? The bottom line is while a passport is not required for closed-loop cruises leaving from the USA, it might be a very good idea to have one. If not, then there is some risk involved. And if you do choose to travel with your passport, keep it with you while in port. It does no good for those rare emergencies if locked in the safe in your stateroom.

I believe that most people who are hesitant to gets passports feel that way due to the cost. And I do understand that for a family of four on a $2,000 cruise, spending another $500 to get passports will be a large expense compared to the vacation's cost. But, it's a one-time expense, so the next time you cruise (at least within 10 years) you're covered. And there are additional benefits to having a passport. As discussed with the topic of this thread, it means not having to worry about the REAL ID rules once they are enforced. Plus, you can use a passport as one single piece of ID for many situations, such as starting a new job where you must comply with E-verify rules.

For those who choose not to get passports for these cruises, they are taking a small risk. The same goes for those who choose to,fly in on embarkation day, or choose to forgo travel insurance. Millions of people accept these risks every year and have no problems. Personally, i don't want to be that "one in a million" who ends up writing a story on Cruise Critic about being left in port or missing my plane or losing thousands on a cruise because I wasn't willing to insure my risks.

Whether insurance would cover anything would of course depend on the circumstances just as how quickly the Consulate would assist- I doubt an overstay at Senor Frogs would be covered by insurance, nor would it qualify as an emergency for the Consulate. Yes, the passport can be used for many things but the thing it is designed for is international air travel. And yes, it would come in handy if something happened. But I have a pretty good idea of what my risks are about "something happening" as do many if they just give it some thought. One should obtain the best documentation based on their travel needs.

So you only plan to travel within the USA or take cruises? Without a passport you can't fly to a resort in the Caribbean. You can't visit Ireland. I love cruises, done over 50, but there are many great places to visit in the world. Having a passport means I can fly to them anytime.

Some people can only take that type of travel. When we started cruising finances limited us to cruising and driving to those cruises, so we decided to forego passports until the time we could actually travel internationally. That time is actually tomorrow since we are flying to France and Germany.

At this point yes. All 11 cruises have been out of us ports except the 2 Hawaii cruises that left out of Ensenada. When I decide to do any Europe cruises, then yes i will get a passport.

Plus a $25 processing fee, $540; photos $10 to $20, $580-$620; $14.95 for trackable mailing of passport $640-$680.;)

Edited by sparks1093

Traveling internationally without a passport is not a wise move period. Sure, people here will come up with justifications for it, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

If I travel domestically, I always put my passport in my bag. It never hurts to have a second form of ID. Besides, in this crazy world, who knows when my travel plans might change on a whim. Just last year, I was in Miami for what was supposed to be a week. After two days, the opportunity came up to sail to The Bahamas. Glad I had my passport!

And let's not even get started on the "wisdom" of bringing a passport with you on a cruise and then leaving it on board when you wander through a borderline third world village... ---shudders!!!----

Traveling internationally without a passport is not a wise move period. Sure, people here will come up with justifications for it, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

If I travel domestically, I always put my passport in my bag. It never hurts to have a second form of ID. Besides, in this crazy world, who knows when my travel plans might change on a whim. Just last year, I was in Miami for what was supposed to be a week. After two days, the opportunity came up to sail to The Bahamas. Glad I had my passport!

And let's not even get started on the "wisdom" of bringing a passport with you on a cruise and then leaving it on board when you wander through a borderline third world village... ---shudders!!!----

Why is it unwise? The most that will happen if you don't have a passport is that you will be delayed if you have to solicit the aid of the Consulate to get you home in the event something happens and you have to fly home. Certainly not the end of the world. As for travel plans changing on a whim that is only a consideration if you are in a position to be able to just jet off on a whim in the first place. I know for me our travel plans are made a year or more in advance and we do not have the ability to just take off on a trip.

Why is it unwise? The most that will happen if you don't have a passport is that you will be delayed if you have to solicit the aid of the Consulate to get you home in the event something happens and you have to fly home. Certainly not the end of the world. As for travel plans changing on a whim that is only a consideration if you are in a position to be able to just jet off on a whim in the first place. I know for me our travel plans are made a year or more in advance and we do not have the ability to just take off on a trip.

It is unwise unless you enjoy sitting in a consulate office with the chance of flying home or as you say......no big deal:confused:

It is unwise unless you enjoy sitting in a consulate office with the chance of flying home or as you say......no big deal:confused:

IF something goes wrong. Most people can figure out what their individual risk is and their acceptance of that risk.

There may not be a consulate where the traveler is.

Why is it unwise? The most that will happen if you don't have a passport is that you will be delayed if you have to solicit the aid of the Consulate to get you home in the event something happens and you have to fly home. Certainly not the end of the world.

Don't forget that the Consulate charges for this service. And the forms of payment they accept varies by location. Unless it is a medical emergency, it can take several days for the process. So this "delay" can turn into hundreds or even thousands of dollars in extra costs for the passport, hotel rooms, ground transportation, etc. Don't get me wrong - I am nor admonishing anyone for not getting a passport. It's just best to fully understand the risk and what the process and cost will be in the case that something goes wrong.

Don't forget that the Consulate charges for this service. And the forms of payment they accept varies by location. Unless it is a medical emergency, it can take several days for the process. So this "delay" can turn into hundreds or even thousands of dollars in extra costs for the passport, hotel rooms, ground transportation, etc. Don't get me wrong - I am nor admonishing anyone for not getting a passport. It's just best to fully understand the risk and what the process and cost will be in the case that something goes wrong.

A good case for good cruise insurance which I believe was mentioned earlier in the thread. The Consulate charges the normal passport fee IF an emergency passport needs to be issued, but if they issue an emergency travel document then it is my understanding there is no charge.

Been on 11 cruises and never once with 4 peeps in our family have we ever had a problem. Very rarely do you hear of issues of people being stuck in a foreign country because of "some issue or emergency " on a cruise and now they'll never be able to come home.

Come on people, if it were necessary then the government wouldn't allow it.

No need to spend $440 if I don't have too for the miniscule chance of something happening.

Rant over..... Sorry

It's always the ones with this viewpoint who think other people are saying "you'll never be able to come home."

If you're in a foreign country and encounter an issue that requires you to get home, you'll be spending MORE than that $440 to get the emergency, temporary, passports to do just that. Doesn't sound like fun to me!

I had a client who lost her DL on a trip to my office and it was an absolute nightmare for her to get home. I had to rent a car for her in my name and let her drive home (800 miles).

Why was it a nightmare? you can fly domestically without ID. Just give yourself lots of extra time.

My dad has no DL, no ID, no passport (all on purpose because he is "tilting at the windmills" of the California DMV), and he flies at least once a year.

...but people get on here and act like the sky is falling or will be falling if you don't have a passport.

I am a pro-passport person, and I take part in such threads, and I have never seen anyone act like that. I see people REact the way you are, thinking that people are saying the sky is falling, but all I ever see is people who are trying to HELP other people. "this is required, this is what would be required if you have to fly home suddenly". This is helpful and useful.

Yes, that is a factor that needs to be considered.

Woo, you think about a LOT of factors! I could have paid for passports with all the time spent on researching where consulates are (spelling "consulates" vs "consultates" as my fingers want to type), etc etc.

Rather just get the passport.

Currently waiting on DS's new passport...we were 3 days too late to safely order it normally, so we tacked on the darned $60 expedite fee. Grr. All because of Alaska's amazing 5000 mile sale from SEA to YVR! Our plan had been the train, for which he could have used BC (he's 11), but noooo, I had to buy the plane tickets...

Due to DH's job and the miles he accrues (and that I don't work outside the home and that we homeschool), we are, happily, in a position where travel COULD happen at any moment. Passports are good for us. :)

Edited by mollyeilis
It's always the ones with this viewpoint who think other people are saying "you'll never be able to come home."

If you're in a foreign country and encounter an issue that requires you to get home, you'll be spending MORE than that $440 to get the emergency, temporary, passports to do just that. Doesn't sound like fun to me!

Why was it a nightmare? you can fly domestically without ID. Just give yourself lots of extra time.

My dad has no DL, no ID, no passport (all on purpose because he is "tilting at the windmills" of the California DMV), and he flies at least once a year.

I am a pro-passport person, and I take part in such threads, and I have never seen anyone act like that. I see people REact the way you are, thinking that people are saying the sky is falling, but all I ever see is people who are trying to HELP other people. "this is required, this is what would be required if you have to fly home suddenly". This is helpful and useful.

Woo, you think about a LOT of factors! I could have paid for passports with all the time spent on researching where consulates are (spelling "consulates" vs "consultates" as my fingers want to type), etc etc.

Rather just get the passport.

Currently waiting on DS's new passport...we were 3 days too late to safely order it normally, so we tacked on the darned $60 expedite fee. Grr. All because of Alaska's amazing 5000 mile sale from SEA to YVR! Our plan had been the train, for which he could have used BC (he's 11), but noooo, I had to buy the plane tickets...

Due to DH's job and the miles he accrues (and that I don't work outside the home and that we homeschool), we are, happily, in a position where travel COULD happen at any moment. Passports are good for us. :)

So let me ask you, how many cruises have you been on and how many of those were you stuck in a port where u whipped out your passport and flew home? Just wondering? Actually I will ask anyone on this thread who has already replied that same question? How many of you have been stuck in a port from a domestic cruise and needed to fly home? Just wondering?

Really?!?! Just get your passport people! Then no more questions, "Is my DL good enough?"

Just get it and you can cruise anywhere instead of the short list of where you can go.:cool:

That's a silly statement, I don't plan my cruise destinations because I don't have a passport. I plan my cruises on my economics. Again, when I can triple my cruise budget and cruise Europe, I will get a passport. It's not needed for u.s. based cruises and that's all my budget allows, just flying to Europe woukd cost me 4k not counting the cruise.

And when I'm stuck in tropical port waiting to fly back home with my drink in hand, I will let everyone of you tell me "I told you so" and I will bow my head in shame 😆(if I even can, I may have to set up residence there)

So let me ask you, how many cruises have you been on and how many of those were you stuck in a port where u whipped out your passport and flew home? Just wondering? Actually I will ask anyone on this thread who has already replied that same question? How many of you have been stuck in a port from a domestic cruise and needed to fly home? Just wondering?

While I personally have never been in this situation, on three separate occasions those I have been traveling with have had to return prematurely. One was due to illness. The other two were medical emergencies involving a loved one at home.

Not a criticism, but a legitimate question: I thought that government-issued ID was pretty much a requirement to fly nowadays. How does your Dad get around that?

Just curious.