Retired Military Wearing Uniform on Formal Night

Joedog

I don't care who is on the ship!! I would be proud to see you on formal night in your dress uniform.

My new son-in-law wore his kilt to get married and then wore it on formal night on their honeymoon cruise.

After all........ANYBODY can wear a tux!!

I don't care who is on the ship!! I would be proud to see you on formal night in your dress uniform.

After all........ANYBODY can wear a tux!!

Quite agree, if you wish to wear the uniform that you are entitled to, then do so with the pride that goes with it. If you are not proud of the military organisation to which you belong, then you should not be in it. The choice to wear uniform at a civilian social occasion is your choice.

I do however object to the thought that people should be put off because there may be EUROPEANS on board. This really winds me up.

I fully understand the security risk assessment that must be made regarding advertising your military status, but that would be the same no matter what nationalities are aboard. We have lived with that particular threat as a part of daily life in the UK for 30 years.

EUROPEANS are not the enemies of the USA, as far as being confrontational is concerned, even if one disagreed with US foreign policy, it would be totally innapproriate to confront anyone with your beliefs on a cruise ship no matter which country you were in.

Also, you would not have to be European to do so, you would just have to be rude.

I am sure that there are plenty of such people of your own nationality that would be prepared to have a pop at your military. Especially when they know that they are too disciplined to respond.

I know that there are plenty of people in my country who would do likewise, to their shame.

I just don't like to be branded as some Vulgarian spy committed to embarrassing US service personnel.

It really isn't USA versus the rest of the world, you know:)

The only person who said Euro's might get offended was only reporting comments from another board devoted to a particular very upscale cruiseline, didn't say it was their own opinion.

No one in this discussion echoed those sentiments.

Conclusion: Wear the uniform!

Thank you for starting this thread. My husband is a commissioned Naval officer, and I think he will be wearing his dress on the Dawn on 10/30 (ends day before Vet's day). We are taking this family vacation before he re-deploys to Iraq. Two of our children, ages 7 & 4 will be along and I think it is important for them to see this side of their dad (he is currently a reservist).

I think your reasons for wearing your uniform are admirable, and not at all flashy, political or boastful. As far as uniforms from other countries go, I would love to see some onboard. I would find that very interesting and would enjoy pointing them out to our children. And yes, it is a VERY big part of who you are, no matter your current status. Thank you for your service to our country, you are appreciated! ;)

Joan

Thank you for starting this thread. My husband is a commissioned Naval officer, and I think he will be wearing his dress on the Dawn on 10/30 (ends day before Vet's day). We are taking this family vacation before he re-deploys to Iraq. Two of our children, ages 7 & 4 will be along and I think it is important for them to see this side of their dad (he is currently a reservist).

I think your reasons for wearing your uniform are admirable, and not at all flashy, political or boastful. As far as uniforms from other countries go, I would love to see some onboard. I would find that very interesting and would enjoy pointing them out to our children. And yes, it is a VERY big part of who you are, no matter your current status. Thank you for your service to our country, you are appreciated! ;)

Joan

Glad your husband will be wearing his uniform! Drop by the roll call and join in the fun with us, there are quite a few of us traveling with you on 10/30! Come and get to know us before we sail, and introduce yourself too! :D

Joan

Joan, this may or may not be the place for this but I'm using it anyway-I hope that I can speak for every member of this board by saying that we are proud and indebted to the brave men like your husband who are willing and proud to serve their country. God bless him, you and your babies.

14_1_101.gif

You will all be in MY thoughts and prayers.

I guess as Tony says it rankles to be generalised as Europeans (whatever that may mean). Culturally the Brits are different from most of the European mainland countries and we often understate things, we don't tend to fly the flag or wear our uniforms when retired except at military remembrance functions. We usualy leave that to our full time military who don't do too bad a job on Horseguards parade. Oh and our football hooligans wave the flag a bit.

As for the threat to us and our families we have lived with it for many years in the U.K and we fight that by getting on with the job as normal and if that means wearing a uniform for work or socially so be it. Terrorists only win when they make you change your way of life.

Glad your husband will be wearing his uniform! Drop by the roll call and join in the fun with us, there are quite a few of us traveling with you on 10/30! Come and get to know us before we sail, and introduce yourself too! :D

I really appreciate your response! I thought about signing the roll call previously, but felt a bit foolish being a total cruise newbie, and new to this site. Most of the people on this site seem to be just great & no doubt alot of fun. I have appreciated all of the info available just for the looking. We CAN NOT wait for this trip!

Regards,

Joan

Joan, this may or may not be the place for this but I'm using it anyway-I hope that I can speak for every member of this board by saying that we are proud and indebted to the brave men like your husband who are willing and proud to serve their country. God bless him, you and your babies.

14_1_101.gif

You will all be in MY thoughts and prayers.

Unbelievably gracious and so very, very much appreciated! Thank you for making my day!

Regards,

Joan

I really appreciate your response! I thought about signing the roll call previously, but felt a bit foolish being a total cruise newbie, and new to this site. Most of the people on this site seem to be just great & no doubt alot of fun. I have appreciated all of the info available just for the looking. We CAN NOT wait for this trip!

Regards,

Joan

Joan, no need to feel foolish signing up on the Roll Call!!!!! ALL of us were new to cruising once, and believe me, we all want to help you enjoy your experience! Please, come and sign on with us, and join in on the fun - we'd love to have you! :D

As one who did 5 and out at spouses request, but is a proud member of the "Last to Leave Club" club of Peshawar AS, Pakistan (circa 1970), I wish we were on a sailing together. Mess Dress (if that's what Navy calls it), would be spectacular. My last boss was a Navy Captain,and I assure you plenty will "have your 6".

Boomer,

Just a quick question.....did you ever run into a PMEL guy by the name of Tom Hemmerling? He was in Security Service at Peshawar about the time you were there and then joined me in Iraklion, Crete. He was one of my frequent diving buddies and a great guy. His wife's name was Laura. :)

• 2 weeks later...

For Retired U S Army cruisers, the short answer is NO! Per Army Regulation 670-1, Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia, 3 February 2005, page 315....

Retired personnel may wear the uniform " 1. while attending military funerals, memorial services, weddings, inaugurals, and other occasions of ceremony. 2. attending parades on national or state holidays, or other patriotic parades or ceremonies in which any active or reserve United states military unit is taking part. Wear of the Army uniform at any other time, or for any other purpose than stated above is prohibited".

The other US armed forces may have different rules, but the US Army is pretty clear. That's why you do not see many older cruisers in Army blues.

• 2 years later...

I read this post and theer is some disagreement as to whether it is proper for military uniforms at the formal gatherings.

My husband is an active duty Commander in the US Navy. He has the full Mess Dress Blue uniform, which is basically a tuxedo, although far nicer than most you can rent.

Is this uniform accceptable at the formal occasions? Do other people wear them? Is it deemed acceptable?

We are first time cruisers, so I am a little nervous. We are not looking to make a political statement - rather I am proud of him, and the uniform is a part of who he is (and I think it looks really good, too!)

Thanks!

Also, I prefer the Mess Dress Blue as opposed to the Mess Dress White. Is there regs that he would have to wear one or the other?

Please do and wear it proudly. You've earned it, and I'm so thankful for all of the Men and Women in military uniforms serving our country everyday all over the world. Seeing someone in uniform on My cruise vacation would make me even more thankful that I'm able to enjoy my freedom and vacations in peace.

THANKYOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just please be prepared to be approached by folks like me and dh and thanked for your service. Many of us are very well aware that we owe our freedoms to folks like you who put their lives on the line to protect us all.

Wear it with pride!

Archived