Why all the Carnival Sunshine hate? Should I avoid it?

dulcemariamar

Thanks for posting the pics. That does seem small.

Personally I was never a fan of moving the comedy shows from the show lounge to the small room venue. Why does Carnival insist on reminding you that you are on a 3,500 person cruise by squeezing everyone into such a small space.

I think they were counting on diversifying crowds, which just didn't happen. Putting all the features on one "small" ship just didn't work, so it just made the areas that people congregate in that much smaller. Supposedly this was what the Vista was made to do, as a build incorporating all these areas, plus some additional like the sweat in the sun air bikes.

But we found out quickly that the Sunshine was not the success Catnival was hoping for. Any plans to "sunshine" other ships were quickly tossed in the garbage.

I think that a big reason why the Sunshine gets disproportionate negative reviews is Carnival's fault for advertising Sunshine as a brand new ship and creating false expectations.

Magic is a brand new ship. Sunshine is a 20 year old ship which got a name change, was refurbished, cabins were added, and public areas removed, which gave it one of the worst space to passenger ratios in the entire cruise industry.

In my opinion, you will enjoy it as long as you go with REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS, in other words, not expecting the Magic.

Exactly. Taking the worst ship in the fleet, renaming it and calling it brand new was a joke. And yes, it most certainly is one of the most crowded ships at sea. It was crowded when it was Destiny. It is one ship I can say with confidence I will never sail again.

I think they were counting on diversifying crowds, which just didn't happen. Putting all the features on one "small" ship just didn't work, so it just made the areas that people congregate in that much smaller. Supposedly this was what the Vista was made to do, as a build incorporating all these areas, plus some additional like the sweat in the sun air bikes.

But we found out quickly that the Sunshine was not the success Catnival was hoping for. Any plans to "sunshine" other ships were quickly tossed in the garbage.

huh, did not know you sat in on those meetings.....thanks for the inside information.

Exactly. Taking the worst ship in the fleet, renaming it and calling it brand new was a joke. And yes, it most certainly is one of the most crowded ships at sea. It was crowded when it was Destiny. It is one ship I can say with confidence I will never sail again.

By reading your post I can't tell of you sailed on the Sunshine or the Destiny, or both.

• 2 months later...

Just did 5 day b2b with 8 day. My gripe would be the public areas seemed to be less user friendly than other ships I have been on. Seats seemed to always be a premium in buffet and ion deck. Experience tells that is often a problem but it semd to me to be a bigger problem. Comedy was just too small for that many people. But as I say any day icrusing is a good day some may be better than others but any day is good.

Have to admit the Sunshine was our least favorite ship by far. Yes it has the new upgrades and she looks modern inside but boy oh boy the negatives outweighed the positives.

As others have stated the public spaces do not accommodate the number of people like other ships. Did we still have a great vacation, Absolutely! Did we enjoy our time on the Sunshine, Absolutely Not!

You may like the ship, try it! Decide for yourself.

we had planned on going on the Sunshine last year in October, but because of all the negative reviews we decided not to go and booked another ship instead. This September I booked anyways and my husband and I absolutely loved it. We have been on many cruise lines such as RCCL, NLC, PRINCESS, CELEBRITY AND DISNEY..... So we have an idea what to compare it to and my husband loved the Sunshine... We are planning another Sunshine cruise for next year. All I have to say is DO NOT listen to negative reviews. Always experience it on your own.... There are lots of people that are never happy no matter how great the ship may be....

We sailed on the Sunshine last spring break with two teens. We never found the public ares to be crowded, maybe the comedy club but that was it. There was plenty of seating, we went to the the Havana bar at the back behind the Lido buffet and there were always lots of tables. The Havana bar was actually my favorite place on the ship.

Best advice I have read here....

To all the Sunshine evangelists, I booked this cruise with eyes wide open. I knew it was a refurbished ship and had read through the reviews, positive and negative. It was still our worst Carnival cruise ever. For anyone cruising on the Sunshine, or considering it, by all means, go on the Sunshine with an open mind but the negative reviews are just as valid as the positive ones. Weigh the issues and decide what you are willing to put up with after paying your hard earned money.

Never discount negative reviews! Always weigh them all, positive and negative and decide for yourself!

Best advice I have read here....

Never discount negative reviews! Always weigh them all, positive and negative and decide for yourself!

The key there is reviews....not the bashers that have never stepped on the ship.

just got off the Sunshine. We had a great time despite very rough waters. Yes some venues are crowded but we found seats wherever we went.

Crew as always was great. Always a smile and Danielle in the Java spot actually remember us from last Dec..how do they do it..it magical.

you will have a great time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We were on in 2013 right after the refit and LOVED her!! We had one of the new deck 5 cabins and really liked the location. I never felt crowded and there was tons for my kids to do. She was our favorite Carnival ship so far (Ecstacy, Conquest, Magic are the others we've done).

Firstly... I'm not a seasoned cruiser and have only done 2 cruises. First was Hawaii on RCL vision class and second was CCL Dream. This Feb will be my third cruise and we selected it based on the extra day and itinerary and price (8 day, southern carib, $2144 for family of four plus $1000 for air).

Secondly, I have NOT sailed nor do I know anyone who has sailed the Sunshine so my concerns and opinions are based only on speculation.

It seems to me that when you shrink the public areas, you're going to have more crowding. The same would hold true if you were to increase the capacity without increasing public areas.

In the case of the Destiny/Sunshine, they did both. They increased capacity by almost 400 and decreased the public areas considerably. Now, I also understand that a business must always be looking for ways to increase revenues. However, I would be lying if I didn't say I was a bit worried about the crowding. I think having to "get there early" to get a chair or seat contradicts what cruising is supposed to be (or once was) all about. That's something I would expect if WalMart ran a cruise line...but then, I wouldn't book a WalMart cruise...lol. I think one general pool is WAY too few. Two would be my minimum with a third for adults only.

Generally speaking, I've seen some changes in cruising since our first cruise. With the increased availability of third party excursion companies, I'm betting they are losing excursion revenues. Also, I believe ships are adding more revenue centres... Paid dining, coffee shops, milkshake stands, etc. I also read that CCL is experimenting with something called "American" dining where it may be more of a "family style" service rather than "a la carte".

From the outside looking in, it seems to me like there is a shift happening where we may see cruising scale down the "all inclusive" side in an attempt at "squeezing" more revenue from the vessel. If I had to venture my own 5 year outlook, I think you will see a more "nickel & dime" approach to cruising with the basic rate to only cover boarding the ship and enjoying basic dining and drinks. A la carte dining will only be available in paid restaurants.

It is what it is... I'm not going to get all bent out of shape until I experience it for myself. If it turns out to be too much "revenue" and not enough "space", I'll simply avoid booking with CCL again and move on. I heard from a local travel agent that one of the VP's of CCL lives in my neighborhood...maybe I'll arrange to bump into him and do some probing...:D

Firstly... I'm not a seasoned cruiser and have only done 2 cruises. First was Hawaii on RCL vision class and second was CCL Dream. This Feb will be my third cruise and we selected it based on the extra day and itinerary and price (8 day, southern carib, $2144 for family of four plus $1000 for air).

Secondly, I have NOT sailed nor do I know anyone who has sailed the Sunshine so my concerns and opinions are based only on speculation.

It seems to me that when you shrink the public areas, you're going to have more crowding. The same would hold true if you were to increase the capacity without increasing public areas.

In the case of the Destiny/Sunshine, they did both. They increased capacity by almost 400 and decreased the public areas considerably. Now, I also understand that a business must always be looking for ways to increase revenues. However, I would be lying if I didn't say I was a bit worried about the crowding. I think having to "get there early" to get a chair or seat contradicts what cruising is supposed to be (or once was) all about. That's something I would expect if WalMart ran a cruise line...but then, I wouldn't book a WalMart cruise...lol. I think one general pool is WAY too few. Two would be my minimum with a third for adults only.

Generally speaking, I've seen some changes in cruising since our first cruise. With the increased availability of third party excursion companies, I'm betting they are losing excursion revenues. Also, I believe ships are adding more revenue centres... Paid dining, coffee shops, milkshake stands, etc. I also read that CCL is experimenting with something called "American" dining where it may be more of a "family style" service rather than "a la carte".

From the outside looking in, it seems to me like there is a shift happening where we may see cruising scale down the "all inclusive" side in an attempt at "squeezing" more revenue from the vessel. If I had to venture my own 5 year outlook, I think you will see a more "nickel & dime" approach to cruising with the basic rate to only cover boarding the ship and enjoying basic dining and drinks. A la carte dining will only be available in paid restaurants.

It is what it is... I'm not going to get all bent out of shape until I experience it for myself. If it turns out to be too much "revenue" and not enough "space", I'll simply avoid booking with CCL again and move on. I heard from a local travel agent that one of the VP's of CCL lives in my neighborhood...maybe I'll arrange to bump into him and do some probing...:D

Interesting post, all cruise lines are for profit, it what makes them work. Carnival is the value leader, plain and simple. Are there more people on the Sunshine compared to when she was the Destiny, yes again without a doubt. The point though is at what expense. Having sailed her under both names and ships, I can tell you from my perspective, I can't see the difference. Free space is often quoted and mis-used statement. Having a chapel on a ship that is never used, is that a good use of space? Same could be said for main lounge. Cruising is evolving, whether we like it or not. Carnival ranks low on the nickel and diming compared to their two main competitors.

Our first cruise on the Sunshine, two prior cruises on the Destiny. We are currently on the Sunshine, 3:35pm. The only negative issues are the slow internet, despite their excuse that their internet is satalite based, non-sense.

Avoid at all costs their Pour Your Own Beer, PYOB. A rip-off. You have 23 seconds to pour a 14 oz. beer for $3.95. The beer lines are warm and the glasses are warm, (I have experience in the beer and bar business) so, one gets two half glasses of foam and far less than 14 oz. of beer.

Other wise, the staff is friendly, food is good, and so, far, so good.