Carnival Sunshine 8 Day Picture Review with Funtimes, Menus and much more!

Seany527

Sean, thanks for all the work you're putting into this great review.

We're supposed to embark this Friday on the Sunshine for an eight night cruise to Bermuda. We are anxiously watching the weather reports about the storm, Joquin, which currently is hovering around the Bahamas.

Any news about this from the ship? Thanks for any info you can pass along.

Just reading through this amazing review and caught your name/location. I am here in the Villages - well, right on the edge of the Villages!

• 5 weeks later...
Our appitizers had now arrived. Matt order the Il Capitano's Signature Arancini and I had the Calamari Fritti. Both were very, very good. I really enjoyed the calamari; it was cooked just right and now chewy at all. The portions are not what I would have called family-style, though. I've had larger portions at a land restaurant that didn't serve family-style. Matt’s, on the other hand, I wouldn’t even consider a single portion. It was like a child's appetizer. It consisted of 4 balls, a little bit smaller than a golf ball. Maybe the portion size increases if there are more diners but, from what I have seen online, the portion sizes all look the same. The arancini were also delicious, just wish there were more of them.

P9131006_zpsvgsdebqg.jpg

P9131008_zps5138i2pi.jpg

Next, obviously were our main entrees. We each ordered a side as well. Matt had the Spaghetti Carbonara with Broccoli with Peperonata and I ordered the Pollo Parmigiana Della Cucina with Rosemary Potatoes.

P9131014_zps5gh4zp6p.jpg

P9131015_zpshink4jwf.jpg

P9131016_zpsr8rvy4nz.jpg

P9131017_zpsdzshd1vi.jpg

Again, I’m not entirely sure how this was family style either. Like I had said, mine was just one large piece of chicken. But even Matt’s- there was nothing to serve his pasta from the main entree plate to an individual plate. Plus there are only three stalks of broccoli. What happens if there is a family of 4? Mom and Dad both have a stalk and brother and sister share a bite? Just a weird concept.

My chicken parm was very good. It was not overly fried and did not have a super fried taste to it. The potatoes were fine. Matt thought that his spaghetti carbonara was one of the best pasta dishes he's ever had. It was very creamy and tasty with just the right amount of pancetta. The broccoli was pretty bland and nothing special.

I agree. when we visited this place on the magic, we were taken back by the portions.

I am wondering if the portions are now just individual portions but the menu still says served family style. I say this because initially when the American Table menus came out, the flatbread and I think salads were served or to be served family style, but due to complaints, they were changed to individual servings?

Another guess, and it's just a guess, is that if served family style, there was a lot of food wasted as the portions would have had to be larger per item. By looking at the pictures you posted, there is no way those are family sized portions.

I do have to say that the food does look good and I am looking forward to going to the restaurant later this year. Thanks for posting the pics.

I can't believe i didn't see this review earlier when you posted it. Very, very nice and detailed review. We are doing the same ship and venue in April, except we stop at Curacao first ... By reading your review ( 2x the past 4 days) I am sure you enjoyed it alot . The Italian restaurant you can just book on board ?? And i see you tried the Shake Spot a few times, We will as well. Did you try a spiked version ?? Also by looking at your pictures of all the food, and you guys not complaining of nothing really , the menus and food seems to be rather pretty good we presume .. I will definitely try a piece of that Cappuccino pie you posted, and we always liked the baked Alaska :)

I can't believe i didn't see this review earlier when you posted it. Very, very nice and detailed review. We are doing the same ship and venue in April, except we stop at Curacao first ... By reading your review ( 2x the past 4 days) I am sure you enjoyed it alot . The Italian restaurant you can just book on board ?? And i see you tried the Shake Spot a few times, We will as well. Did you try a spiked version ?? Also by looking at your pictures of all the food, and you guys not complaining of nothing really , the menus and food seems to be rather pretty good we presume .. I will definitely try a piece of that Cappuccino pie you posted, and we always liked the baked Alaska :)

Are you on the roll call or fb page? Lots going on, many events planned for the 4/8 cruise.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

I agree, his review is fantastic! However, I don't know if you know this, but starting with the March 5 cruise, the Sunshine will be getting the American Table menus. No Cappucino pie or baked Alaska for you!

looks like the same for as well ... let us know for sure when you get back, we didnt know that, and just searched the net and cant find the info you have ... but, did see a smores parfait and chocolate pie and pie a la mode, seen all these pics .. you can tell us what they taste like .. lol :)

Where did you read this, cant seem to find info on this for the Sunshine

Edited by griz400

looks like the same for as well ... let us know for sure when you get back, we didnt know that, and just searched the net and cant find the info you have ... but, did see a smores parfait and chocolate pie and pie a la mode, seen all these pics .. you can tell us what they taste like .. lol :)

Where did you read this, cant seem to find info on this for the Sunshine

Here you go! I copied this from his Facebook page.

John Heald

February 1 at 12:28pm · Miami, FL, United States ·

The next two ships to receive the American Table menus will be the Carnival Miracle and Carnival Sunshine both on March 5th

cheers

Edited by Jeafl

And some more...

P9120726_zpsxgmhlpbb.jpg

P9181936_zpsa6moysh9.jpg

And now the ropes course and everything Sport Square has to offer.

P9181944_zps3zjryx1z.jpg

Kinda random...soda machines.

P9181937_zpsmdk3sb8c.jpg

P9181952_zpswsvmtjf8.jpg

P9181951_zpsw2du5evp.jpg

Do you know if the soda machine go with the bottomless bubbles soda package?