Feeling the Breeze again - a review

summercruisin'

Our next stop was in San Juan, for a short day (like 7-2). As I briefly mentioned before, DH and I had cruised out of San Juan before with our son (who was then not quite 4 - his first cruise!) and several members of my family. My mom had recently passed away after fighting cancer, and my dad took us all on a cruise. My little family flew in the day before, but DH accidentally left one of our bags in the taxi (the most important one.....the one with the cruise tickets - and back then they sent them via mail - and our passports, meds, plane tickets, and other documents :(), so we spent the entire evening trying to get those things back. By the time we did (thankfully!!), we were so exhausted we just turned in for the evening. The rest of the family joined us the next day, and we went on with the cruise without seeing much of San Juan. Soooooo, I was looking forward to making up for that a bit, even though we knew we would be rushed.

There's the Sheraton....where we stayed last time we were here!

20150723_073751_zpsdx8ipcx2.jpg

I remembered San Juan having these beautiful old buildings and cobblestone streets.

DSCF9389_zpsyty0arc2.jpg

And I knew there were forts nearby. Since we didn't have very long in the old city, and I was in a funk and not eager to plan, I decided we would just wander around the city and perhaps visit a fort. I knew DS would be okay with a walking tour (although he was not very excited about my lack of a plan).

We set off towards one of the forts...

DSCF9390_zpsul2n3apx.jpg

It took about 10-15 minutes of easy walking with some pretty sights...

DSCF9392_zpstk3yqp8y.jpg

we found the old fort, surrounded by newer structures.

DSCF9395_zpsryt0zu4q.jpg

DSCF9396_zpskhekwr7u.jpg

For $5 per adult (and no charge for children 15 and under), you can get entrance to both forts (Castillo San Felipe del Morro and Castillo San Cristobal)....save your receipt as you travel from one to another. You can walk from one to another or catch the free trolley. We chose to walk.

DSCF9412_zpsuhhrpkmy.jpg

Both forts are beautiful and worth seeing!

a bathtub with an ocean view :p

DSCF9413_zpsrhhyeus4.jpg

soldiers' living quarters

DSCF9467_zpsefxktz6y.jpg

This wall was supposedly rebuilt/refinished to look as closely as possible to its original appearance

DSCF9472_zpssmuvbsnk.jpg

The cistern/well for catching fresh water

DSCF9476_zpsjmtiv1sh.jpg

This carving in the wall meant that there were explosives stored in this area

DSCF9478_zpsbpwwrqa2.jpg

Cool tunnels to explore

DSCF9479_zpskxlxlvt6.jpg

and then this.....oh my goodness! So cool! So, supposedly this is the dungeon where they kept prisoners. And supposedly, a captured sea captain was kept here, and he created these sketches that have been preserved! What an amazing opportunity to experience history and feel a connection with someone from the past!

DSCF9481_zpswmxadhsk.jpg

DSCF9482_zpsh8aofuqe.jpg

DSCF9485_zpscpcs2ryg.jpg

After spending about an hour and a half at the first fort, we headed to the second. We decided to walk and got to see lots of pretty buildings and views.

DSCF9500_zps5u0ifxpa.jpg

When we got to the second fort, we went to the cemetery by the sea, Santa Maria Magdalena de Pazzis Cemetery.

DSCF9506_zpsbrdxpdws.jpg

Unfortunately, there are several tombs that have not been kept up as well as one might expect. DD was a little nervous that some spirits had escaped! :eek:

DSCF9521_zpsc7gsytwz.jpg

Nonetheless, there were lots of beautiful, intricate statues

DSCF9523_zps4l79c4w1.jpg

DSCF9526_zpsey0ekbpn.jpg

the triangular staircase was really cool!

DSCF9594_zpsfulfdrfu.jpg

After a fairly quick tour of San Cristobel, we knew we had to head back to the ship, all too soon. We thought about waiting for the free trolley, but after a few minutes of waiting, we decided to walk instead. I preferred that anyway, because I wanted to savor every last minute of our short day there. Off we went, back through the old city....

DSCF9606_zpsiht0bkly.jpg

We got to see several parts of the old wall

DSCF9616_zpswknm95in.jpg

And, how lucky are we? We got to catch a glimpse of the Attessa IV, a yacht owned by a billionaire! (Of course, not so lucky as those who get to see the inside or travel on her!). Impressive!

DSCF9617_zpsmhcpdqp7.jpg

We got back onboard, and then DH and I decided to go try out the Italian restaurant (free for lunch, but dinner costs extra), located above the Lido buffet. We did not get to try it out last year on the Breeze, so we were really looking forward to trying it out on this trip. DD agreed to go to Camp Carnival for a little while after a quick lunch, so DH and I had a lunch date

20150723_131532_zpsp7tx37ka.jpg

20150723_131540_zpska8zxr6q.jpg

We both decided to have the feature for the day, which was lasagna. But, it is not traditional lasagna. Carnival's lasagna in Cucina del Capitano includes yummy chunks of pumpkin and very little sauce. It was absolutely delicious!!

Our next stop was in San Juan' date=' for a short day (like 7-2). As I briefly mentioned before, DH and I had cruised out of San Juan before with our son (who was then not quite 4 - his first cruise!) and several members of my family. My mom had recently passed away after fighting cancer, and my dad took us all on a cruise. My little family flew in the day before, but DH accidentally left one of our bags in the taxi (the most important one.....the one with the cruise tickets - and back then they sent them via mail - and our passports, meds, plane tickets, and other documents :(), so we spent the entire evening trying to get those things back. By the time we did (thankfully!!), we were so exhausted we just turned in for the evening. The rest of the family joined us the next day, and we went on with the cruise without seeing much of San Juan. Soooooo, I was looking forward to making up for that a bit, even though we knew we would be rushed.

There's the Sheraton....where we stayed last time we were here!

20150723_073751_zpsdx8ipcx2.jpg

I remembered San Juan having these beautiful old buildings and cobblestone streets.

DSCF9389_zpsyty0arc2.jpg

And I knew there were forts nearby. Since we didn't have very long in the old city, and I was in a funk and not eager to plan, I decided we would just wander around the city and perhaps visit a fort. I knew DS would be okay with a walking tour (although he was not very excited about my lack of a plan).

We set off towards one of the forts...

DSCF9390_zpsul2n3apx.jpg

It took about 10-15 minutes of easy walking with some pretty sights...

DSCF9392_zpstk3yqp8y.jpg

we found the old fort, surrounded by newer structures.

DSCF9395_zpsryt0zu4q.jpg

Awesome pics thanks for posting--gotta add San Juan to my destination list.

Come Back! I'm having review withdrawls! You left us with promises of more Matt!!! lol

LOL! :p Okay, okay! I just had a crazy weekend....I was the matron of honor in a wedding and then I drove my teenager and his bff to an amusement park 5 hours away to ride "the best coaster in the world!"....so worth it! We went to Carowinds and rode their new Fury 325......a gigacoaster with a 325 foot drop (more than 2x the height of the Statue of Liberty!) at 81 degrees, reaching speeds of some 95 mph.....woot! Good times! Okay.....so Matt will show up in my Grand Turk pics! :D

LOL! :p Okay' date=' okay! I just had a crazy weekend....I was the matron of honor in a wedding and then I drove my teenager and his bff to an amusement park 5 hours away to ride "the best coaster in the world!"....so worth it! We went to Carowinds and rode their new Fury 325......a gigacoaster with a 325 foot drop (more than 2x the height of the Statue of Liberty!) at 81 degrees, reaching speeds of some 95 mph.....woot! Good times! Okay.....so Matt will show up in my Grand Turk pics! :D[/quote']

Omg I so wanna ride that!!! I love rollercoasters, especially gigacoasters! Between cruising I have to get to Six flags over TX to ride the Bat Man 4D spin coaster. When they figure out how to put a rollercoaster on a cruise ship my name will be first on the roll.

LOL! :p Okay' date=' okay! I just had a crazy weekend....I was the matron of honor in a wedding and then I drove my teenager and his bff to an amusement park 5 hours away to ride "the best coaster in the world!"....so worth it! We went to Carowinds and rode their new Fury 325......a gigacoaster with a 325 foot drop (more than 2x the height of the Statue of Liberty!) at 81 degrees, reaching speeds of some 95 mph.....woot! Good times! Okay.....so Matt will show up in my Grand Turk pics! :D[/quote']

Oh wow! What a weekend! I was just messing with ya - I know your review will be worth the wait - I'm loving it so far!!

Omg I so wanna ride that!!! I love rollercoasters, especially gigacoasters! Between cruising I have to get to Six flags over TX to ride the Bat Man 4D spin coaster. When they figure out how to put a rollercoaster on a cruise ship my name will be first on the roll.

Ha! Funny! That is exactly what DS says.....put a gigacoaster on a cruise ship! It's so odd that he is overly cautious about many things, but once he started riding coasters, he has no fear with them. :D I'm hoping it will help him face other things he is afraid of.

You're a wonderful reviewer. My grandson is autistic and he's with me nearly every day so I totally 'get' your stories. Such an affectionate child disputed his meltdowns. We will be on the Breeze January 2nd. Thanks for a lovely review

Awww, thanks! :) It is always good to find someone who understands, because so many people do not. I do love the moments of affection as well :). My DS has grown in so many ways, and it is getting a little easier. Then again, maybe I am the one who has grown and just know how to manage a little better. ;) You probably feel the same on that too!

Hope y'all have a great time on the Breeze (I know you will!)