SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

Quite correct, I worked in the USA as an alien,for several years on an H1B visa. I had no representation, could not vote, but got to pay taxes !! OK; the dual taxation agreement made sure I only paid one lot of "federal taxes" BUT, I got to pay dual taxes on State taxes, and I had to pay SS and Medicare, and am prohibited from ever receiving 1 cent of those. So' I'm a little tetchy about this and generally do NOT tip, unless there's exceptional service. I lost many thousands of dollars on this deal (to the exclusive benefit of the US taxpayer), and figure that the state bureaucrats could craft a way to get some of this money into the hands of the workers in the approximately 10 restaurants I visited and "stiffed" the wait staff. After all these bureaucrats give themselves great salaries, grand titles and lots of holidays!

And lets just add it into the fare and pay them a decent wage! Oh yes, I've read all the reasons why this "can't work" and its all horse manure. Gee, the world financial mandarins, can bring the world almost to a financial meltdown, and still walk away with obscene bonuses!!!!! Surely one of them could produce a workable system?

But anyway, I've sailed on several lines, and usually halve the tip/HSC/whatever, after 35 years in the miltary, I don't need my bed turned down with a chocolate, I keep my own bathroom clean, and usually eat at the buffet (just like the mess-hall) never buy drinks, non-alcoholic or alcoholic, and don't need pampering.

If there was a choice, I'd cruise on a ultra basic line, Like the EasyCruise one, but I'm not aware of these anymore.

An ultra basic line sounds great for me, except that HAL seems to have the ships that I like (promenade, etc.). DW and I would have no problem without any cabin service for a week, although a couple of fresh towels midweek would be nice. Nevertheless, we've been keeping the HSC as-is. If they could offer a stateroom category with limited service and a low HSC, we'd surely go with that.

For the majority of HAL cabins each person is paying somewhere between $100 and $200 per day. In a hotel in most US states the state taxes on a room would be about $8 to $15 per day for far less service. Stop whining about the HSC! :mad:

If they could offer a stateroom category with limited service and a low HSC, we'd surely go with that.
But only about 1/3 of the HSC is for cabin service.

Edited by jtl513

• 2 weeks later...

SO, if the daily gratuities on many ships is from $12-14 pp/day what would be a fair ADDITIONAL amount for your room and dining room stewards.

I NEVER have taken off the daily gratuity on our 25+ cruises and ALWAYS (except on one miserable NCL cruise) give EXTRA tip to the above and never have been comfortable if it was too little or too much.

I am not poor nor wealthy and would like to pay extra tips on top of the daily pp amount so what is a reasonable amount that most people give for a 7, 12 or 14 day cruise for example, since the tips would increase proportionate to time onboard I feel

SO, if the daily gratuities on many ships is from $12-14 pp/day what would be a fair ADDITIONAL amount for your room and dining room stewards.

I NEVER have taken off the daily gratuity on our 25+ cruises and ALWAYS (except on one miserable NCL cruise) give EXTRA tip to the above and never have been comfortable if it was too little or too much.

I am not poor nor wealthy and would like to pay extra tips on top of the daily pp amount so what is a reasonable amount that most people give for a 7, 12 or 14 day cruise for example, since the tips would increase proportionate to time onboard I feel

Notionally since you've already tipped through the HSC you're not under any obligation to tip additionally. It's not like before the HSC where there was a suggested or typical amount per person calculated on the number of days to tip. Personally I sometimes give an additional tip but no always and not a fixed per day amount. It takes my wife and I agreeing that the service is above and beyond and that it has made a significant difference for our cruise.

My family and I have sailed on Norwegian Getaway a few times and thoroughly enjoyed it. We were looking at another but my eyes popped out of my head when I saw the new gratuities rates. Almost $18 Canadian per person per day. For us that's $72 per day or just over $500 for a 7 day cruise. I appreciate the hard work of the staff and I would tip on my own. I'm not trying to opt out and pay nothing. But I also have a budget per cruise/vacation. Two years ago, the auto gratuity cost us $336. Last year $378. This year $504. That's a 50% increase vs. 2014 and a 33% increase vs. last year. A 33% increase seems excessive. Norwegian is offering the drinks package as well. We aren't big drinkers but it has a service charge as well. On top of the $72 per day gratuity, with the drinks package my wife and I would pay $215 in gratuities. So I'm up to $715 in tips and I haven't given my room steward anything. Keep in mind that 2/3 of our meals will be buffet/self serve. It's very expensive and probably a deal breaker.

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't see the fuss you pay thousands of dollars on tours and the booking of the cruise and your going to soule over a couple of hundred dollars. I'm canadian and our dollar has fallen quite dramatically I now pY 1.417 canadian dollars for 1 US dollar. It has always been my policy to tip 20% for good service and as little as 10% for poor service. In alot of industries tips are now shared so everyone who participates will receive a gratuity even the pot washer or bus boy etc. Most of the people bust their buts to make your occasion enjoyable and I beleive they should all be rewarded. If you receive poor service let the manager know the name who did not deliver and this person should receive less of the gratuities than his or her counterparts

I really don't see the fuss you pay thousands of dollars on tours and the booking of the cruise and your going to soule over a couple of hundred dollars. I'm canadian and our dollar has fallen quite dramatically I now pY 1.417 canadian dollars for 1 US dollar. It has always been my policy to tip 20% for good service and as little as 10% for poor service. In alot of industries tips are now shared so everyone who participates will receive a gratuity even the pot washer or bus boy etc. Most of the people bust their buts to make your occasion enjoyable and I beleive they should all be rewarded. If you receive poor service let the manager know the name who did not deliver and this person should receive less of the gratuities than his or her counterparts

It's not about opting out or not wanting to tip. WE WILL GLADLY TIP. I thought that I had articulated my position. In fact I had a very civil discussion about it with NCL and they understood perfectly. As a fellow Canadian the exchange rate is also factoring into this decision. I made it clear to NCL that I love the service and appreciate the hard work of staff but as a family we have a budget. Committing to spending $735 before I have set foot on the ship, or tipped my cabin steward, or booked an excursion caused us as a family to step back and say wait a minute. We have a budget and this is getting pricey. Long story short we have booked a cruise on RC at the recommendation of a friend and have already pre paid gratuities which were less than NCL. I hope Pebles that you have a great cruise on your next voyage.

I agree with the HSC for the ship staff, and $20 or so for each room attendant, and 2 MDR waiters, if one attends the MDR mostly. The drink staff still get another 15% from you.

I think everyone pays what they can, and there should be no judgments made on anyone.

As they say: Keep your eyes on your own fries :)

• 3 weeks later...

I understand the pain of the Canadian dollar as we have friends in Quebec that remind us often why they have stopped cruising. Those were the only comments about why some may not want to add to the pain of the daily pp gratuity charges.

But, anyone care to comment about MY question #152 about additional tips over the daily amount for cabin attendants and waiters? Particularly, what would be a fair tip for a 14 or 21 day cruise vs. a 7 day one?

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Generally we calculate on a per diem basis, which accounts for the length of the cruise. For stewards who go "above and beyond" an extra $2-3 per day feels appropriate.

Generally we calculate on a per diem basis, which accounts for the length of the cruise. For stewards who go "above and beyond" an extra $2-3 per day feels appropriate.

Is that per passenger or per cabin? And would that also be for the dining stewards? Just curious (and looking for a bit of clarification), so if you don't want to answer I won't be fussed :)

Is that per passenger or per cabin? And would that also be for the dining stewards? Just curious (and looking for a bit of clarification), so if you don't want to answer I won't be fussed :)

Per couple for both dining room and cabin crew. Note that there's usually two of each who should be tipped accordingly if they so deserve.

Just wanted to confirm what I think I've read. :o

First, we always have had wonderful service on our cruises & have always tipped above the daily charged amount.

On longer cruises with several segments, I understand it is good if giving an extra tip, to do so at the end of each segment. This is in case a crew member leaves at the end of one of the segments and won't be there at the end of your cruise. Correct??

And when in Europe-USD or Euros?

On longer cruises with several segments, I understand it is good if giving an extra tip, to do so at the end of each segment. This is in case a crew member leaves at the end of one of the segments and won't be there at the end of your cruise. Correct??

Correct.

US dollars, if you have them. Leftover Euro (I see you're American) can be given earlier in the season, as there's a chance the recipient can use them while still there. Otherwise, save them for your next trip. ;)

If I was a steward I would prefer Euro to $US anytime in the season anywhere in the world because the Euro is worth 9% more. Even if it costs me 4% to exchange it somewhere, I'm still ahead!

Edited by jtl513

On one of our cruises, we asked our cabin steward if they kept the tips passengers gave them and their reply was no, it had to be declared and included in the gross gratuities. We were told that if we wanted to give them something, to buy them gifts like maybe a scarf, SIM card for their phone or camera, piece of jewellery etc, just something small that they could keep, that's what we do now.

I totally agree with you. I have said for a long time that I wish the cruise lines would include the fare in the price of the cruise, or at least give the passenger the ability to prepay it as part of the fare. I think its crazy that it is added to your on board account each day.

I can't for the life of me understand the cruise lines thinking on this.[/

I have always prepaid our gratuities on our Royal Caribbean and Carnival cruises.

I totally agree with you. I have said for a long time that I wish the cruise lines would include the fare in the price of the cruise, or at least give the passenger the ability to prepay it as part of the fare. I think its crazy that it is added to your on board account each day.

I can't for the life of me understand the cruise lines thinking on this.[/

I have always prepaid our gratuities on our Royal Caribbean and Carnival cruises.

Pax can prepay HAL HSC by purchasing OBC ahead of time. Not rocket science here.

As for HSC, I compare HAL prices to other lines sans HSC for equivalency, and still find HAL a better bargain.

On one of our cruises, we asked our cabin steward if they kept the tips passengers gave them and their reply was no, it had to be declared and included in the gross gratuities. We were told that if we wanted to give them something, to buy them gifts like maybe a scarf, SIM card for their phone or camera, piece of jewellery etc, just something small that they could keep, that's what we do now.
On HAL? :eek: If so, that goes against everything I've ever heard in 10 years on this forum and 14 years of cruising HAL! Namely: (1) stewards can keep cash as long as the HSC is not altered and (2) they don't want stuff they have to store in a small cabin and then haul home at the end of their contract!

On HAL? :eek: If so, that goes against everything I've ever heard in 10 years on this forum and 14 years of cruising HAL! Namely: (1) stewards can keep cash as long as the HSC is not altered and (2) they don't want stuff they have to store in a small cabin and then haul home at the end of their contract!

Yes, it was on HAL and in fact one of the cruises was on the Nieuw Amsterdam cruising the Mediterranean with friends in 2013 who were also told the same thing and who gave their cabin stewards a scarf and a SIM card.