SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

I went and looked at your cruise history and noticed that you are not exactly a "newbie" to cruising so.......your question kind of throws me......

I will not chastise anyone for feeling the way you do, but will instead ask you a couple of questions, which I hope you can/will answer for me?

1. Why do you feel $8.00 per day is a better HSC than $12.50?

2. Did you reduce the HSC or whatever it is called on Princess on your cruises with them?

3. Do you think 15% -20% tip for a restaurant is to much to tip for great food and service provided?

Joanie

Hey Joanie! Totally agree with you. If the trip cost $2500 and you only pay $250 for HSC on a 10 day trip for 2 you're only paying 10%. We usually leave extra for the great service we enjoy. I'm sure the staff depends on these tips to survive.

When you are on a cruise, think about what the daily cost of your cabin is.. Don't believe $12.50 per day is even a 10% tip for your cabin.. The least expensive Balcony Cabin for two on our cruise is $181 a day.. A 20% tip is actually $36 per day 15% would be $27 per day..
We're not getting a balcony cabin, so the $12.50 per passenger per day is considerably more than 10 percent of our fare. But I think the cabin stewards and waiters deserve it--and we usually tip them extra. I think the OP is either incredibly cheap or else was just posting to see what the reaction would be.

Funny, I think $12.50 is FAR too low and always adjust upward.

We don't adjust, & we also tip extra in most cases..Only once on another cruise line did we not tip extra to our Room Steward.. Most hotels & cruise lines do not permit adjustments to their Service charges, but HAL does, which is fine for those who do not receive excellent service... This can be done at the front desk, but be prepared to explain why you believe your service was lacking..

IMO someone who makes a blanket statement that $12.50 a day is excessive does not travel or eat out very often.. Even one $100 meal at the least expensive restaurant in town calls for a 15% to 20% tip & you are receiving three meals per day plus make up & turn down cabin service..You don't even have to make your bed, wash your dishes or clean your bathroom.. Isn't that worth at least $12.50 a day per person to you?

We are booking car to pick us up & take us to Ft. Lauderdale..The car will cost $320.00 & the mandatory tip is $64.00 (20%) for the driver..

When you are on a cruise, think about what the daily cost of your cabin is.. Don't believe $12.50 per day is even a 10% tip for your cabin.. The least expensive Balcony Cabin for two on our cruise is $181 a day.. A 20% tip is actually $36 per day 15% would be $27 per day..

Hello Again, I take back my statement that the OP of the other thread is not an experienced traveler..We don't adjust the Service Charge but we do give extra to those who made our cruise so wonderful..

He/She is on a World Cruise & still believes that $12.50 a day Service charge is excessive.. :(

This blows my mind :eek: since even though we have never done a world cruise, we've been on some very long cruises.. One of our cruises was 68 days & we were happy to pay the "Service Charge".. We even gave additional Gratuities to Several Stewards who made our trip so special & we ARE NOT suckers..

Perhaps it's because I once had to supplement my income while working for the airlines by hat checking, & used those tips for my travel expenses..IMO $12.50 a day is very reasonable for the service we receive..

Edited by serendipity1499

I can't imagine what difference the number of days in the cruise should matter in terms of how much to pay on a service charge per day. If the level of service is consistent (and it always has been on my cruises), then the amount paid out in service charge should also be consistent.

There's no good reason for a sliding scale of a higher service charge on a shorter cruise, and a lower charge on a longer cruise.

I can't imagine what difference the number of days in the cruise should matter in terms of how much to pay on a service charge per day. If the level of service is consistent (and it always has been on my cruises), then the amount paid out in service charge should also be consistent.

There's no good reason for a sliding scale of a higher service charge on a shorter cruise, and a lower charge on a longer cruise.

I agree with RuthC - no reason to vary the daily charge depending on the length of the cruise. After all, the crew gets paid for the number of days WORKED, not by the job.

I think that the issue for the OP is the TOTAL amount for the service charge on a long cruise gets to be very large and this likely concerned them. While I understand this, I do not agree with their solution (reducing the service charge).

Volume discounting is pervasive, whether buying at a big box store, staying at some hotels (stay "x" nights and get your "y" night free) or paying less per slice when buying an x-large pizza. The "per night" cost is often less for longer cruises, so maybe jrblach thought this should apply to the HSC. I totally disagree, but there may be a sort of twisted logic behind it.

• 1 month later...
Your names will be passed onto all supervisors who in turn pass your names onto the staff that works under them.

And then... your tipping pattern gets entered into the crew managed database that can track past patterns and see who's cheap and who's a George. Might not the attention level be just a little lower for the habitual HSC removers? Or a little better for the tip adders? Not saying the black list people would not get "bad" service but maybe not the "extra mile". No reason they could not track this - even across the fleet.

For that matter what if HAL HQ tracked it? Welcome to the era of Big Data. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Good points. Carnival Corp was incorporated in Panama which adds credence to your remarks. I had assumed they were a US company. Dumb assumption!
Carnival Corp. shares sell on the U.S. Stock MarketgMarket.

CCL hsasd headaquarrters in Miami, Fl, U.S.

Edited by sail7seas

Firstly, I want to disclose I haven't read the entire thread, so this may have been explained.

Secondly, my upcoming cruise on Holland America is only my second cruise ever and the first did not involve service charges.

Question 1. I've seen in a few threads the mention of people "making friends" with a bartender or room steward through tips. What is appropriate at the beginning of the cruise?

Question 2. At the end of the cruise, if I give cash to a room or dining steward, bartender, et cetera, is it true they are not allowed to keep it and must put the money in a pool?

Question 3: Is it better to plan on increasing the HSC (which is not a tip) or to plan on tipping with cash?

Thanks, in advance, for any insight you can offer.

Firstly, I want to disclose I haven't read the entire thread, so this may have been explained.

Secondly, my upcoming cruise on Holland America is only my second cruise ever and the first did not involve service charges.

Question 1. I've seen in a few threads the mention of people "making friends" with a bartender or room steward through tips. What is appropriate at the beginning of the cruise?

Question 2. At the end of the cruise, if I give cash to a room or dining steward, bartender, et cetera, is it true they are not allowed to keep it and must put the money in a pool?

Question 3: Is it better to plan on increasing the HSC (which is not a tip) or to plan on tipping with cash?

The bartenders and wine stewards are not included in the HSC pool. A 15% charge is added to each purchase to cover the tip.

As long as you have left the HSC in place the room steward, waiter etc. will be allowed to keep any extra tip you may give. If you remove the HSC then they are required to turn the cash tip into the pool.

Extra tipping is not required. If, however, any staff member goes above and beyond to make your cruise enjoyable you may want to leave an extra tip at the end of the cruise. We usually extra tip the room stewards, waiters, (if we have fixed dining), wine steward, the Lido attendant who "adopts" us at the start of each cruise and our favourite wine waiter in the Ocean Bar. I also take some cash on each cruise to tip some crew member who wouldn't ordinarily be on the receiving end of tips but who went out of their way to be helpful and pleasant each day. We also slip a tip under a plate when we dine in the Pinnacle Grill.

None of the aforementioned extra tipping is required. I do find, though, that the service aboard is usually so exceptional that I really feel good about rewarding the people who look after us with a little extra. It is a rare occasion when I don't leave extra.

15 per cent is added to every bar drink you purchase. I don't feel the need to "butter up" a bar tender.

Cruise lines started adding the HSC to your account to alleviate the guesswork in when and how much to tip. You are not obligated to tip beyond that. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't tip extra to employees getting a cut of the HSC. Not all cruise experiences are equal.

I agree with Sapper about tipping the little people who do not get a cut of the HSC. We've given cash to the diminutive painters who hang over the side of the ship to paint. We've tipped the diminutive guys who scramble up outside ladders to fix whatever. We've given cash to a window washer celebrating the birth of a new baby.

15 per cent is added to every bar drink you purchase. I don't feel the need to "butter up" a bar tender.

Cruise lines started adding the HSC to your account to alleviate the guesswork in when and how much to tip. You are not obligated to tip beyond that. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't tip extra to employees getting a cut of the HSC. Not all cruise experiences are equal.

I agree with Sapper about tipping the little people who do not get a cut of the HSC. We've given cash to the diminutive painters who hang over the side of the ship to paint. We've tipped the diminutive guys who scramble up outside ladders to fix whatever. We've given cash to a window washer celebrating the birth of a new baby.

Although I agree with most of what has been said regarding the HSC I have also been told that a % of the HSC does go to the "behind the scenes" or "little people" as you put it but not near as much as the Cabin Stewards or Dining Room Staffs. The little people received zilch prior to the HSC because they are usually hidden. At least now we believe it is fair to all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything else you asked has been well covered, but this was mentioned only by one person.

So, to reiterate, giving money to a bartender or steward in advance is a matter of decorum. Some people are opposed to the very thought; I am one of them. If a "tip" is a way to say "thank you" for a service well done, it would seem that it's better to wait until the service has been rendered. Otherwise, it could appear to be a bribe.

If you choose to tip a bartender or lounge steward, you can do so each time, or each day. You can also wait until the end of the cruise (or leg of the cruise on longer cruises). Many, if not most, people do it this way.

Ruth, I must be that person. I always respect your opinion, however, call it a bribe if you want, but it's "Pavlovian" to respond positively to positive reinforcement.

We know the bars we're going to frequent from past experience on HAL. I find well placed tips to a server or bartender early on puts you on their "A" list for the rest of the cruise. Last January our server at our pre-dinner stop also worked the Queen's Lounge. A word before dinner as to which Blues Review show(s) we planned to attend meant seats saved in the front row and drinks as soon as we sat down. It's the same the world over. When you take care of bar or service staff they usually take care of you. I do reinforce things throughout the cruise. I always give a little extra to the room service guys as they are low on the Totem. I may over tip in some cruisers' eyes, but we get above-and-beyond service in return. Taking the time to hand out end of cruise envelopes makes a crew member's day and we're remembered when we run into them on later cruises. I always tip a bit to our suite steward on day one when going over our habits and preferences and I always make sure to remember names and use them with a smile. Whenever possible, we try to get to know our favorite crew members. Showing interest in them and their families and showing appreciation for their being away from their loved ones goes a long way IMO.

Edited by blizzardboy

I find well placed tips to a server or bartender early on puts you on their "A" list for the rest of the cruise.

I've received that kind of treatment consistently from HAL staff without paying up front. It's nice to know that I am so well taken care of as a matter of course.

Taking the time to hand out end of cruise envelopes makes their day and we're remembered when we run into them on later cruises.

I've been well-remembered on subsequent cruises, too. They KNOW they'll be getting something extra at the end of the cruise.

I've received that kind of treatment consistently from HAL staff without paying up front. It's nice to know that I am so well taken care of as a matter of course.

I've been well-remembered on subsequent cruises, too. They KNOW they'll be getting something extra at the end of the cruise.

Absolutely agree. We tip after we have received wonderful service. I have never tipped up front in my life. It is a little "too too" for my taste.

i've received that kind of treatment consistently from hal staff without paying up front. It's nice to know that i am so well taken care of as a matter of course.

i've been well-remembered on subsequent cruises, too. They know they'll be getting something extra at the end of the cruise.

absolutely agree. We tip after we have received wonderful service. I have never tipped up front in my life. It is a little "too too" for my taste.

^^yes^^

omg call me what ever but it you cruise -- I don't care what country you are from -- you pay gratuity -- You know it going in and it is just cheap to not pay it -- there are on excuses that work for me. If you are willing to pay a greater fare and not call it a tip -- really -- than just pay the fare. Can not get over how cheap and selfish some people are.

omg call me what ever but it you cruise -- I don't care what country you are from -- you pay gratuity -- You know it going in and it is just cheap to not pay it -- there are on excuses that work for me. If you are willing to pay a greater fare and not call it a tip -- really -- than just pay the fare. Can not get over how cheap and selfish some people are.

This thread is very old. I didn't read it all the way back today. I did not read any recent comments where people say they do not tip. We all pay tips via the HSC. Cruise lines rolled out the HSC about fifteen years ago to eliminate guessing and talking about how much to tip. It is not required to tip beyond that. I am not cheap and selfish if I just pay the HSC.

Edited by sammiedawg

This thread is very old. I didn't read it all the way back today. I did not read any recent comments where people say they do not tip. We all pay tips via the HSC. It is not required to tip beyond that.

This thread will go on as long as there is a Cruise Critic Forum. I could care less what other folks' tipping preferences are as I'm sure folks don't care about mine.

As have we. We tip at the end as well. We have never been left "looking" for a waiter. They know who is doing what and take care of you.

I was shocked when I was welcomed back on the Prinsendam and the Westerdam. both stewards who welcomed me were NOT my stewards this time but they were last time. The list went on for the welcomes. I don't think the crew expect anything more but I do think they know who tips at the end. (JMO) and anything is appreciated. We tip extra because of the exceptional service. No obligation. No requirement so no need if you don't want to. It's all optional.

LIfe is good on a HAL ship and the HSC is a LOT less than on some ships like Oceania which provided no service at all when we were on. Enjoy :)

This thread is very old. I didn't read it all the way back today. I don't read any recent comments where people say they do not tip. We all pay tips via the HSC. It is not required to tip beyond that.