Carnival Ectasy riding out Rita: very funny

Don Haynes

This would be a good site for people who have had their ship diverted to a place where they didn't choose to go. I won't mention any ship names or port names, but there was one not long ago with very angry pax! I sure wouldn't want to be on a cruise ship in weather like that!

I could get seasick from just looking at those pics!

I've been in seas that rough twice, it's actually a lot of FUN!!! I love it so much I've taken the QE2's North Atlantic crossing in winter just FOR the rough seas. It's very disappointing though when it's not as rough as that.

I've been in seas that rough twice, it's actually a lot of FUN!!! I love it so much I've taken the QE2's North Atlantic crossing in winter just FOR the rough seas. It's very disappointing though when it's not as rough as that.
Yes - that is what I call a real cruise! None of this namby-pamby flat-as-a-millpond stuff, which is for wimps. What's the point of being at sea if the ship doesn't move? Might as well fly there and be on dry land ... :D

The photo's are of Ecstacy taken from Sensation during Rita. The ships are chartered to FEMA and it was decided that it would be safer for them to ride it out away from Galveston docks where they are being used for temp housing from Katrina. IIRC there are approx 500 crew and 200 pax on each ship at the time these photos.

There was another thread about the photos on the site somewhere.

These photos bring back childhood memories!! My dad was in the British Merchant Navy and always took lots of photos and cine films (remember those anyone??) - all of the sea but usually only when it was rough or very rough (nothing quite as interesting in the pictures as another ship, ever). My aunt could never watch his cine films as she became very seasick just watching them.

i think for those pax on board -they at least deserve a free cruise for the pain and suffering. :D :D
Fortunately*, no passengers. These were two of the FEMA ships that simply left New Orleans for the safety of the open sea, just for the duration of the hurricane. I believe that they only had crew on board.

* I personally wouldn't have minded - I'd have loved it. If I'd been thrown off the ship before it sailed, I'd have said "unfortunately".

I know this is a stupid question. but how does the ship not fall over on it's side
If rolled far enough, the ship will eventually "fall over" and capsize. I think that every ship has a critical roll angle beyond which it will do that. But the angles are far greater than you might suppose, because their centres of gravity are lower than a first glance at the ship might suggest.

I have had a very satisfying number of CC visitors on my weblog from that thread, but if any NCL folk want to see a nice picture of the same ship in Aruba, taken coincidentally a year ago today, it is posted on my weblog.

The address is http://fin.journalspace.com, and is now the second or thirid entry. And thanks to those of you who have clicked by.

Archived