question about bed on Starr

msbhaven1974

I will be traveling with another female companion and wanted to know if the King bed can be separated into 2 singles - we will be in cabin 3012 if that helps to answer this question. This is not a major issue but due to restless leg syndrome it might be difficult for my companion should the beds not be able to be separated

No problem - just tell them once onboard. You can also call and add this to your profile, but when we boarded the Star the bed was made up as a single "king" bed, despite our profile. So, just let your steward know and they usually do this while you're at dinner the first night when they go around to do the turn-down service.

Be aware however, that these are not really king sized beds if you're from the US. The bed is 60" across which more closely corresponds to an American Queen. So when the beds are separated, they are only 30" wide as opposed to an American twin which is 36" wide. So while the single beds are comfortable, they are a little narrow if you're used to a bigger bed. I have ranted about this issue in my Viking Star review - that Viking continues to advertise "king-sized" beds in the US, when they are not by US standards - misleading at best and false advertising at worst. But others have pointed out that it's a typical size for European kings.

This seems really strange.....I know that some of the 'king' beds are US standard sized kings. I am aware that some are not. How that is determined by cabin I have no idea. I just know for certain that it is true - I know that Elizabeth measured hers and it was not. Ours absolutely was, as were a couple others of people that we know......makes no sense but it is.

That said, all the 'king' beds are supposed to be able to be two twins and can be designated prior. Now whether that trainslates to different widths of twins.....I suppose that it must?

Viking I know that you are on cc. Maybe you could address this - because it is pretty confusing.....

Edited by Vineyard View

Ours (DV 3024) seemed a bit larger than queen, but I didn't measure it.

The confirmations of Oceania cruises I get from my travel agent always list, "Bedding - King" although I don't know if that wording comes from Oceania or the TA, and whether that's supposed to indicate the actual bedding size or the fact that we do NOT want the beds separated into 2 singles.

It is strange VV as we were in a Penthouse Junior Suite with PLENTY of room in the cabin so you'd think if there was a true "king" bed it would be in the Junior Suites! I measured the bed when we got there and it was made up as a King and it was 60". All they do when they split them is pull the two sections apart and make them up with different mattress pads and sheets / duvets (at least that was according to our cabin steward - I asked). What we did do that helped things rolling off the bed at night (moi - :)) was put one of the suitcases laying on its side between the beds. That helped quite a bit. The beds themselves we found really comfortable though.

Dear Vineyard View,

All of the beds aboard Viking Star are European King and, as others have indicated, can be separated into two, single beds.

We hope this helps clear up any confusion. Please don’t hesitate to contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com for any additional clarification.

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

This seems really strange.....I know that some of the 'king' beds are US standard sized kings. I am aware that some are not. How that is determined by cabin I have no idea. I just know for certain that it is true - I know that Elizabeth measured hers and it was not. Ours absolutely was, as were a couple others of people that we know......makes no sense but it is.

That said, all the 'king' beds are supposed to be able to be two twins and can be designated prior. Now whether that trainslates to different widths of twins.....I suppose that it must?

Viking I know that you are on cc. Maybe you could address this - because it is pretty confusing.....

Yep - that's what I was told. But European King is not the same as American King. So, Viking - when you are advertising in the US that you have King-sized beds, this is very misleading. You do not clarify in your advertising that this is the case - I suggest you state EUROPEAN King. They are not the same! From a loyal Viking customer!

Dear id4elizabeth,

As we hope we’ve made clear, your comments are truly valued and recommendations to improve are both heard and appreciated.

Should you have any additional comments, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

We are looking forward to welcoming you aboard again in 2016!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Yep - that's what I was told. But European King is not the same as American King. So, Viking - when you are advertising in the US that you have King-sized beds, this is very misleading. You do not clarify in your advertising that this is the case - I suggest you state EUROPEAN King. They are not the same! From a loyal Viking customer!

Thanks Elizabeth....and Viking.....for clearing this up! As I said, I didn't measure ....we were okay with the size.... it was comfy and we slept well. And now we all know that it is a Euopean King.

Edited by Vineyard View

• 2 weeks later...