St Andrews Golf in Scotland

We are going on a British Isles cruise with Celebrity in August 2016. We would like to do a walking tour of the old course . I know these are available in August 2016 daily at 11am & 2 pm.

Does anyone know how far this golf course is from where Celebrity will tender? Would public transportation be an option or would a rental car be better ?

Hi surebeatssailing

You mention tender so you will either be anchored at South Queensferry or Newhaven. However I suspect it's Newhaven, as that's where Celebrity was this year.

Assuming that, if you wanted to go by public transport, you would need a taxi to the railway station (10 mins) then it's around 90 mins by train. The return fare would be about £30 each and £10 each way for a taxi. To be honest a rental car would be a much better option and would give you much more freedom and time to enjoy the journey along the coast on the North side of the Forth which is lovely. Enterprise Rentals has an office not too far from the port and as they are a national chain, should be reliable.

Then I'd definitely hire a car. There is so much to do in the area and being so far North we have really long daylight hours in Scotland in Summer. I'd recommend you try to visit Elie, St Monans, Pittenweem, Anstruther and Crail en-route to St Andrews. They're very pretty traditional and unspoilt fishing villages. Not too long a detour and plenty of time to do it.

If you decide to book a car the nearest Enterprise branch is in Salamander Street Leith

Then I'd definitely hire a car. There is so much to do in the area and being so far North we have really long daylight hours in Scotland in Summer. I'd recommend you try to visit Elie, St Monans, Pittenweem, Anstruther and Crail en-route to St Andrews. They're very pretty traditional and unspoilt fishing villages. Not too long a detour and plenty of time to do it.

If you decide to book a car the nearest Enterprise branch is in Salamander Street Leith

We had a timeshare week in Kilconquhar and one day we walked the coastal path from St. Monan's to Anstruther, where we had a wonderful fish & chips lunch, and back.

We also walked St. Andrew's on a Sunday- have a photo of us and our friends taken on the Swilcan Bridge that was the best souvenir ever.

The coastal path is just amazing. Our house-sitters from BC managed all of it when they were here last year but St Monans to Anstruther is one of loveliest parts.

There's a great fish and chip shop in St Andrews too if the OP is interested. It\s called Tailed and it's on Market Street

The coastal path is just amazing. Our house-sitters from BC managed all of it when they were here last year but St Monans to Anstruther is one of loveliest parts.

There's a great fish and chip shop in St Andrews too if the OP is interested. It\s called Tailed and it's on Market Street

We are interested ...thanks for all this info.