Flight Delays and Europe - EU 261 and compensation

Valley Girl of VA

I had this information embedded in my post about my AMA Prima river cruise but thought it might be important enough to have its own thread.

Basically if you have a flight delay flying to the EU on an EU carrier or if you are flying from EU country to EU country OR flying from an EU country to home, there are compensations that you are entitled to under EU Rule 261. It also deals with cancellations, being seated in a class below what you booked and involuntary bumping. This applies to purchased tickets as well as award tickets (I had an award ticket).

If you want to read more about EU Rule 261 and how it applied to us and the outcome, please go to my blog:

https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/10/12/eu-rule-261-important-if-you-fly-into-or-out-of-europe/

Jane

We had a similar problem on USAir coming home from Ireland. We were given no choice but to be re booked on the same flight 24 hours later. Supervisor on the phone refused us any hotel or food said we needed to go to the airport and said couldn't get us on any other flights. Well, next day the flight was overbooked by 40. We took the bumb and then got our hotel and food that nite paid for and an amount for being bumped, but didn't know about eu 261. When we got home wrote to US Air/American and had to sen another e mail stating EU 261 and then got a response, offered $1000 in flight credit each which we took.

The Supervisor on the phone when the cancellation due to mechanical happened was very insincere and said "you wouldn't want to fly on an unsafe airplane"?

Good info for all European travelers, especially on US Airlines. Thanks Valley Girl

We had a similar problem on USAir coming home from Ireland. We were given no choice but to be re booked on the same flight 24 hours later. Supervisor on the phone refused us any hotel or food said we needed to go to the airport and said couldn't get us on any other flights. Well, next day the flight was overbooked by 40. We took the bumb and then got our hotel and food that nite paid for and an amount for being bumped, but didn't know about eu 261. When we got home wrote to US Air/American and had to sen another e mail stating EU 261 and then got a response, offered $1000 in flight credit each which we took.

The Supervisor on the phone when the cancellation due to mechanical happened was very insincere and said "you wouldn't want to fly on an unsafe airplane"?

Good info for all European travelers, especially on US Airlines. Thanks Valley Girl

We've benefitted from EU261 twice. Once on Lufthansa when our plane from St. Petersburg to Frankfort was delayed 3 hours due to a strike by LH cabin attendants that resulted in our missing our flight to JFK. As we approached Frankfort, we were told that we had already been rebooked on tomorrow's flight, hotel rooms were reserved and meal vouchers prepared. We were met at the gate by an LH rep. who took us through passport control and, since I use a w/c in airports, we were taken to our hotel room! I was also given 1 hour free internet (my request) to notify car service of change of arrival. Our last experience was with KLM last month when our inbound plane from Hong Kong was delayed 3 hours by weather causing our outbound from Amsterdam to JFK to also be delayed. We didn't need any kind of food vouchers since we were in business class and had been eating all day long, but our flight to NY took off 3 H 45 M late! Our cabin attendant explained that they actually changed planes because that was cheaper than refunding all 300+ passengers! I was surprised to discover that EU 261 applies to all planes licensed to fly in or out of EU airports. I had no idea it applied to US airlines as well.

Edited by Hydrokitty

We've benefitted from EU261 twice. Once on Lufthansa when our plane from St. Petersburg to Frankfort was delayed 3 hours due to a strike by LH cabin attendants that resulted in our missing our flight to JFK. As we approached Frankfort, we were told that we had already been rebooked on tomorrow's flight, hotel rooms were reserved and meal vouchers prepared. We were met at the gate by an LH rep. who took us through passport control and, since I use a w/c in airports, we were taken to our hotel room! I was also given 1 hour free internet (my request) to notify car service of change of arrival. Our last experience was with KLM last month when our inbound plane from Hong Kong was delayed 3 hours by weather causing our outbound from Amsterdam to JFK to also be delayed. We didn't need any kind of food vouchers since we were in business class and had been eating all day long, but our flight to NY took off 3 H 45 M late! Our cabin attendant explained that they actually changed planes because that was cheaper than refunding all 300+ passengers! I was surprised to discover that EU 261 applies to all planes licensed to fly in or out of EU airports. I had no idea it applied to US airlines as well.

Took me a while to figure out "w/c" from the context!

We've benefitted from EU261 twice. Once on Lufthansa when our plane from St. Petersburg to Frankfort was delayed 3 hours due to a strike by LH cabin attendants that resulted in our missing our flight to JFK.

Our last experience was with KLM last month when our inbound plane from Hong Kong was delayed 3 hours by weather causing our outbound from Amsterdam to JFK to also be delayed.

I was surprised to discover that EU 261 applies to all planes licensed to fly in or out of EU airports. I had no idea it applied to US airlines as well.

I am surprised to hear you received anything under these circumstances. EU261/2004 does not require the airline to provide compensation, etc. for circumstances not under their control, such as strikes and weather.

I am surprised to hear you received anything under these circumstances. EU261/2004 does not require the airline to provide compensation, etc. for circumstances not under their control, such as strikes and weather.

You are right about that. Perhaps the compensation received was because they were in Business Class?

You are right about that. Perhaps the compensation received was because they were in Business Class?

Nope, everyone who missed their flight to US due to the delay caused by the strike was put up overnight, given vouchers for dinner and breakfast and a free phone call. Only difference between business and economy was the hotel. We were in the airport hotel and to be honest there were only two couples with one person in each couple using a wheel chair, so I'm not sure if the hotel was because of the wheelchairs or because we were business or both. It was not a formal strike...at the time the cabin attendants were having random job actions so LH had no way of knowing where they would be....I guess they felt responsible...I would have really been upset had they NOT provided us with rebooked seats, hotel and meals since it wasn't our fault. This is one of the many reasons LH is my airline of choice for overseas.

As for KLM we didn't receive any compensation, nor were we entitled to any, because we departed 3 hours 45 minutes late! They used what they called an "emergency" plane that they keep on hand (according to the cabin steward) for just such occasions because our flight, which originated in Hong Kong, still hadn't arrived in Amsterdam. However, I do think the European airlines are better than we are when it comes to customer service.

Edited by Hydrokitty

It actually covers you if you are on an EU airline flying into Europe. If you were on United flying from the US to Europe and had a delay, you would not be covered.

Jane

Aha! So that's why when Vantage booked us on Delta, we were on a Delta plane from JFK to Amsterdam and when we returned we were on a KLM plane from Basel to JFK through their Star Alliance. If the plane is delayed or over-sold, Delta avoids having to pay the EU 261 penalties!

The EU261 directive has been mentioned a fair amount on British Television over the past few months. Some passengers delayed on the cheapo no frills airlines have had compensation higher than the cost of their original flights. Also certain airlines who have offered credit have come unstuck and have been told compensation can be claimed as cash. I cannot remember the limitation for claiming but I think you can claim upto 7 years ago.

Delta came through last summer when our Zurich to Atlanta flight was cancelled due to mechanical problems. Hotel rooms for all (Hilton and Radisson Blu), dinner and breakfast, plus food vouchers, transportation, .....all rebooked together for a special flight the next morning, plus a bunch of FF miles and a letter of apology from Delta. This was Delta, not a European airline......They did more than was necessary resulting in a planeload of very pleased passengers.

I had this information embedded in my post about my AMA Prima river cruise but thought it might be important enough to have its own thread.

Basically if you have a flight delay flying to the EU on an EU carrier or if you are flying from EU country to EU country OR flying from an EU country to home, there are compensations that you are entitled to under EU Rule 261. It also deals with cancellations, being seated in a class below what you booked and involuntary bumping. This applies to purchased tickets as well as award tickets (I had an award ticket).

If you want to read more about EU Rule 261 and how it applied to us and the outcome, please go to my blog:

https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/10/12/eu-rule-261-important-if-you-fly-into-or-out-of-europe/

Jane

Thanks for all the good information! I will save this for future information and hope I never have to use it!.

Liz

Delta came through last summer when our Zurich to Atlanta flight was cancelled due to mechanical problems. Hotel rooms for all (Hilton and Radisson Blu), dinner and breakfast, plus food vouchers, transportation, .....all rebooked together for a special flight the next morning, plus a bunch of FF miles and a letter of apology from Delta. This was Delta, not a European airline......They did more than was necessary resulting in a planeload of very pleased passengers.

They did not do more than necessary. They did what they had to under EU 261. You were in an EU country flying more than 3500 km and had a longer than 3 hour delay. It didn't have to be a European carrier if you are in Europe. You could have filed for compensation from Delta in the amount of 600 euros.

The EU261 directive has been mentioned a fair amount on British Television over the past few months. Some passengers delayed on the cheapo no frills airlines have had compensation higher than the cost of their original flights. Also certain airlines who have offered credit have come unstuck and have been told compensation can be claimed as cash. I cannot remember the limitation for claiming but I think you can claim upto 7 years ago.

Yes, compensation is in cash. For me, since I live in the US, I will get compensation in a VISA debit card. Citizens of other countries will have a bank draft sent to them. The compensation is not tied to what you paid for a ticket (in my case, it was an award ticket) but more tied to the distance you were flying and the length of the delay.

I just wrote about two companies that will help you get your compensation via EU 261. Your flight must qualify and it must have flown within the past three years. They do earn a commission for the settlement out of the settlement proceeds so if you get nothing, they get nothing as well. I have not used them so I cannot vouch for them but have heard of both of them from reputable people. Read my blog for more information:

https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/10/20/eu-261-help-for-those-who-need-making-a-claim/

If you use them, please let me know how successful it was and about your experience.

Jane