jn2003

Mare Island, New Caledonia

Has anyone been to Mare?

I know the ship usually organizes a trip to the beach, but has anyone done any other sight seeing.

The tourism website lists some operators but I can't find any info or know of anyone who has used them. Or even if it is worth doing.

Let me know...

http://www.iles-loyaute.com/En/Mare/Prestataires

We were there in July. I believe the ship 'uses' all the local transport for their shuttles to Yedjele Beach from Tadine. We also looked for private tours without luck prior to sailing. On arrival we did not see any vehicles for private hire, as they were all lined up ready for cruisers to hop on. I suggest you look at the small market before heading to the beach. It won't take long! The drive is quite nice. Sit on the righthand side going there, and left hand side on return. If the weather is wet/windy, your stay at this beach will def be a quick one. Allow approx an hour on return to have a small walk around the general pier area.

It was cool and extremely windy the day we went, but I can see that it would be a nice beach day in perfect weather. It was good to get off the ship. We thought the shuttle cost too much for this destination, esp if you have a family (hopefully the locals get a good cut!).

Thanks bobhsv. I wasn't thinking that the ship would be using all the transport. That would explain why nobody does the site-seeing listed on some of the transport operators info page.

G'day, on Noordam in April 2019, Syd-Honolulu. Ship stops at Tadine….do medium - large ships generally tender in there or berth? Thanks.

Hi NSWP- According to my booking confirmation from HAL, for this itinerary we will tender at Tadine, Mare and Easo, Lifou, New Caledonia and also Savusavu, Vanua Levi, Fiji. Maybe I'll see you on board!

~Nancy

G'day, on Noordam in April 2019, Syd-Honolulu. Ship stops at Tadine….do medium - large ships generally tender in there or berth? Thanks.

Les,

All ships tender at Tadine, as it is just like at Lifou, Mystery Island and Isle of Pines where there is not a proper dock, just a pier big enough for the tenders.

Leigh