HAL's new partnerships, upgrades, branding initiative

InTheWASide

]

Sorry, that money has been earmarked to upgrade the suites. :rolleyes:

I recall hearing about new drapes, carpets, USB ports, a reading light......... I didn't hear anything about upgrading plumbing and HVAC. Did Mr. Ashford mention such work being planned?

I suggest all you Mariners go look at your email and see the latest missive that just arrived in your inbox from Mr. ash ford telling you you about the exciting news for Mariners.

Terri

Thanks Terri, but in no email in my inbox! :( Why am I not surprised! :rolleyes:

No e-mail in my box from Mr. Ashford or Mariner's Society.

Do we know, though, that they are not planning on spending money in maintenance? It seems like hardly the kind of thing you'd announce...

<snip>

I would have expected that could/would have been mentioned in all the excitement of the announcement. :)

Edited by sail7seas

waiting for that video to appear online because I want to study it closer

The video is up on the HAL site and shows that the ship is clearly either EURODAM or Nw A. As I said yesterday. The other little ship on the horizon is the Halve Maen, waiting for the EURODAM ship to catch up.

For those who did not receive the email, here it is:

The Title of the Email is "Exciting News for Mariner Society Members"

A Special Announcement from Orlando Ashford

October 30, 2015

When we have thrilling news, I naturally want to share it with our Mariner Society members first! Holland America Line is embarking on a plan to make your cruise experience even better. You’ll soon be enjoying the benefits of some significant enhancements we’re making to our website, onboard programs, and luxurious suites.

We’ll be offering Destination Guides in partnership with AFAR and powered by Utrip. Specially curated by AFAR’s network of local experts, these online guides provide “insider” recommendations for the most authentic and engaging attractions, restaurants and shopping experiences for all of our 400 ports of call and scenic cruising. Destination Guides will be available on hollandamerica.com in early 2016.

We’re also partnering with award-winning BBC Earth to bring world-class fun and informative entertainment, including concerts, shows, children’s activities and more, to our fleet of premium ships. BBC Earth will start rolling out across Holland America Line’s fleet in April 2016 and will be available on all ships by September 2016.

Finally, we’re planning exciting enhancements for our luxurious suites, including new furnishings, décor, and upgrades for all suites on our Signature-, Vista- and R-Class ships. The first ships to undergo the suite transformation will be ms Eurodam in December 2015 and ms Oosterdam in April 2016. We’ll also be adding enhancements to our current amenities starting in January 2016. These will include premium duvets, superior bathrobes and slippers, a Bose docking station, binoculars for use during the voyage, complimentary mimosas with in-suite breakfast and an in-suite coffee and espresso machine.

It’s an exciting time to be a Mariner Society member. We hope to welcome you aboard soon.

Thank you for your loyalty,

Orlando Ashford

President

Holland America Line

Edited by Cruzin Terri

I suggest all you Mariners go look at your email and see the latest missive that just arrived in your inbox from Mr. ash ford telling you you about the exciting news for Mariners.

Terri

Yep, we both received one this afternoon. Nice and to the point, with links.

It is the thought that counts. Without Cruise Critic I would certainly never have known a thing about this press conference, so it is a smart move on HAL's part to send out the emails to Mariners.

Terri

Read the first couple of lines. Seems the buzz word is now "thrilling" in place of "exciting". I didn't see the presentation but after reading this thread don't see any reason to. It's not of interest to me.

Do we know, though, that they are not planning on spending money in maintenance? It seems like hardly the kind of thing you'd announce...

If I were a new cruiser, I think I'd avoid like the plague any ship announcing they are spending a lot of money just to ensure their ageing fleet/systems are functional. Given the concerns many newbie cruisers voice here, I'm guessing there would be considerable concern, since many have heard of the problems of ships going dead in the water.

These sorts of events are mainly held in order to get the media to write nice things about you in their paper/magazine/blog. I'm guessing few companies would announce something as unglamorous as "needed repairs to our infrastructure".

Yes. THAT ^^

Terri

I got the e-mail. It told me that Mr. Ashford wanted loyal Mariners to be the First to know about the new enhancements!!! Only about 36 hrs after the rest of the world found out! I'm feeling really special right now after that e-mail NOT!

If you (Mr. Ashford) wanted me to be one of the first to know you should have sent the e-mail on Wednesday for the big announcement on Thursday not on the Friday after!!!

I got the e-mail. It told me that Mr. Ashford wanted loyal Mariners to be the First to know about the new enhancements!!! Only about 36 hrs after the rest of the world found out! I'm feeling really special right now after that e-mail NOT!

If you (Mr. Ashford) wanted me to be one of the first to know you should have sent the e-mail on Wednesday for the big announcement on Thursday not on the Friday after!!!

That's a very good point. He (or his minions) should pick his words more carefully.

That's a very good point. He (or his minions) should pick his words more carefully.

Given all the technical glitches during the presentation, the email may have been written correctly and intended for delivery at the time of the presentation. Knowing the strength of the IT group, I'd suspect the late delivery - or non-delivery still for some of us - might well be yet another technical issue. :rolleyes:

I was in one of the focus groups. There were about 10 or 12 of us and all were repeat HAL cruisers and I'd guess ages ranged from 50 - 70. I don't recall being presented any examples of logos. We were asked to evaluate various concepts.

I got a call about being in a focus group for HAL, but it was for a day I couldn't get off work (and as I told the woman, I try not to drive into Seattle unless absolutely necessary). It's interesting to hear what it was about though. I wonder if all of the focus groups were held in Seattle, limiting the participants to local HAL cruisers?

The logo change makes me think of the current kerfuffle in Seattle -- The Seattle Public Library spending several hundred thousand dollars to develop a proposal for rebranding. The exciting new proposal was to change the name to Seattle Public Libraries (plus another several hundred thousand dollars to do the rebranding, new logo, etc). The proposal was turned down.

Perhaps it is because we are returning to Holland America after a long absence since we sailed on the maiden voyage of the Eurodam, but I was impressed with the video announcements and the partnerships detailed. If AFAR and UTRIP are able to give us insight into ports we have not experienced before on our upcoming Koningsdam cruise in April and save us time researching, all the better. And I think the tag line "Savor the Journey" is brilliant!

Read the first couple of lines. Seems the buzz word is now "thrilling" in place of "exciting". I didn't see the presentation but after reading this thread don't see any reason to. It's not of interest to me.

They heard about the drinking game and want to keep us sober.

I didn't get the email, so I'm feeling even less special.

We did not receive an email. From what I hear the new partners and logo are no big deal for us. We cruise based on timing, itinerary, and price. We are more loyal to a great deal than a specific line. Friendly helpful staff, great food, and a soothing atmosphere mean much more to us than a computer planning tool. Hopefully it's just the beginning of more enhancements.

I don't think I get any emails from HAL; I have only recently started getting mail from HAL.

I get a lot of mail from HAL and no emails. I would rather it was the other way around, emails and no mail, but for some reason HAL won't change it. At least I am getting something. I expect what they sent in the email is on the way in the mail. [emoji47]

We did not receive an email. From what I hear the new partners and logo are no big deal for us. We cruise based on timing, itinerary, and price. We are more loyal to a great deal than a specific line. Friendly helpful staff, great food, and a soothing atmosphere mean much more to us than a computer planning tool. Hopefully it's just the beginning of more enhancements.

I read what was posted here and in the Cruise Critic article about the supposed enhancements and was less than impressed. I like HAL as it is except for one policy which I won't name. But until they enhance HAL by changing that policy I likely won't choose HAL even when things are less than equal. I am paying more to cruise on Celebrity in December than it would have cost me for the same type cabin on HAL because of that policy.

Edited by Charles4515

Who would have anticipated that the logo would be the biggest talking point out of the whole BIG announcement? Kinda sad, really.

So Agree Lizzie.. LOL ..Can't believe all of this discussion about a Logo & a poorly planned presentation..:eek:

SIZE]

Terri

We haven't received the e-mail either..[:D

I didn't hear the broadcast...Instead read the release posted here..by

InTheWASide.. Thanks for posting it..

IMO the new partnerships are interesting but not earth shattering..

/SIZE]