Taking wine on board Royal Carribean

maxx

Hi all

Has anyone taken wine on board from Australia? This is new to me but perhaps someone can confirm this.

Ā 

Ā 

Q: Can I bring alcohol or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) on board?

Ā 

A: Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Ā 

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

Ā 

Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids.

So just to clarify....

Ā 

You can take two bottles onto a Royal Carribbean ship and they wont charge you any corkage?

Does this include the restaurants etc? I was under the impression you could take it but need to take your own bottle opener and enjoy your wine anywhere but the restaurants because there is a large corkage fee.

Ā 

Thanks for anyone who can clarify this for me

So just to clarify....

Ā 

You can take two bottles onto a Royal Carribbean ship and they wont charge you any corkage?

Does this include the restaurants etc? I was under the impression you could take it but need to take your own bottle opener and enjoy your wine anywhere but the restaurants because there is a large corkage fee.

Ā 

Ā 

Differing lines have different policies, for RCI it is 'Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom'. :D

So just to clarify....

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Definitely no corkage fee. Our last 2 cruises we have taken our own bottles into the MDR and Izumis without any problem.

Pity RCL is not like P&O UK. We had a 14 day cruise from Venice in August/September this year and were able to take on wine and beer at embarkation as well as top up at each port as necessary.

Ā 

The do have a corkage charge if you consume your take on in the dinning rooms etc.

Ā 

Also for some reason their cabin fridges worked extremely well and the beer and wine was very cold to drink without the need for ice.

Pity RCL is not like P&O UK. We had a 14 day cruise from Venice in August/September this year and were able to take on wine and beer at embarkation as well as top up at each port as necessary.

Ā 

The do have a corkage charge if you consume your take on in the dinning rooms etc.

Ā 

Also for some reason their cabin fridges worked extremely well and the beer and wine was very cold to drink without the need for ice.

Ā 

While that is nice, P&O Australia doesn't allow any alcohol to be taken on board, not even the 2 bottles that most cruise lines allow. Luckily, I really don't mind buying drinks when on board, I just budget for it, although I wouldn't knock back the freebies either.:D

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

We were also on P&O UK this Sept and was allowed to take sprits as well. Brought a bottle of gin, tonic water and some lemons. We were also allowed to fill up a glass and drink it anywhere on the ship. Never come across this before. Good for us as paying in English pounds would have been expensive.

On RCI we took a couple of bottles of wine on embarkation. Tried bringing more wine on in other ports ,went through scanner didn't try to hide it and they were not confiscated. No one made any remarks and I was not alone.

Using that logic you can put 2 bottles in each checked in bag and also two in each persons carry on luggage. making 8 for the cruise. People can and do smuggle bottles on board in all sorts of ways but why bother, more hassle than it is worth.

It's all about the $$. We like wine and the prices of bottles on board as we all know are exorbitantly high. Where we start and end our cruise in our home city it's no hassle and we don't go overboard in trying to get around the cruise lines policy. Yes we probably could take more on board but I guess the more you take the more you risk being found out and having the excess confiscated.

It's all about the $$. We like wine and the prices of bottles on board as we all know are exorbitantly high. Where we start and end our cruise in our home city it's no hassle and we don't go overboard in trying to get around the cruise lines policy. Yes we probably could take more on board but I guess the more you take the more you risk being found out and having the excess confiscated.

Ā 

I suppose I don't worry about it for some cruise lines due to either having a free (included in fare) drinks package or loyalty status fro free drinks in the evening lounges. But on those where this isn't the case, we bring our two bottles for the cabin and buy as we go.:D

Really you can get 4 bottles on board. Pack 2 in your suitcases and take 2 in your carry on. They can't correlate the two at all. (Though now I've said it they'll probably figure out a way:()

Ā 

If they find the bottles in your checked in luggage it is an automatic confiscation and in fairness to them, they do warn you and I know many people who have been "done". As far as not being able to correlate the two, the rule is simple, if it's found in your "check in luggage" it's confiscated:(. They don't care whether it's an innocent mistake or not.

Ā 

I just wish they would adopt the Princess policy and charge corkage after your first two but Royal are hellbent on ripping us off and after our Explorer cruise, I doubt we will cruise with them again - damn, so close to Pinnacle. I also wish they would offer some decent Australian and NZ wines instead of the offensive rubbish they try and flog.

Ā 

Cheers

Di

Did not put in checked luggage as I only brought 2 bottles on embarkation. At other ports brought 1 or 2 bottles just in my tote bag which went through scanner quite easy to see. Maybe I was lucky they were not confiscated. Must have been seen. We just took the wine for dinner in mdr no corkage fee. Other than that we paid for drinks but looked out for 2 for 1 deals.

Did not put in checked luggage as I only brought 2 bottles on embarkation. At other ports brought 1 or 2 bottles just in my tote bag which went through scanner quite easy to see. Maybe I was lucky they were not confiscated. Must have been seen. We just took the wine for dinner in mdr no corkage fee. Other than that we paid for drinks but looked out for 2 for 1 deals.

Ā 

It really depends on the security staff on the day/cruise as some will enforce the rules and others do not.

It really depends on the security staff on the day/cruise as some will enforce the rules and others do not.

Ā 

I guess that's true. The worst that can happen to you is they confiscate and give it back to you on the last night.