Bad knees?

beachbum53

All the creams, lotions, injections etc, aren't going to do a thing if you're bone on bone. I had my left knee replaced in October '16, and it was like a miracle. I have (most) of my life back. My right knee will be replaced in November '17.

My only regret is that I wish I had done it years ago instead of wasting time and money chasing symptoms.

All the creams, lotions, injections etc, aren't going to do a thing if you're bone on bone. I had my left knee replaced in October '16, and it was like a miracle. I have (most) of my life back. My right knee will be replaced in November '17.

My only regret is that I wish I had done it years ago instead of wasting time and money chasing symptoms.

Just curious. How long was your rehab? Haven't decided on it yet.

They said on my rehab it would be 90 days before full activity (I play tennis) but on the second replacement I was playing again in about a month. They make you walk (assisted) almost immediately after the surgery and physical therapy within a day or two. Physical therapy was 3 times a week for 10-12 weeks.

This type of recovery is not typical, my Dr. told me, everyone is different. But the advances they have had between my first knee replacement and my second were like night and day. In Memphis, they are doing full knee replacement surgery on an out patient basis.

Find a good Orthopedic Surgeon you trust and do everything they say.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It really depends on several factors, your overall physical condition, skill of the surgeon, skill of your physical therapist, and how determined you are to succeed.

I have always been active, so for me not being able to do the things I wanted to do was driving me nuts. I took up swimming for exercise because I couldn't walk more than a block without being in pain and swimming was the best way to stay fit in a low-impact manner. Turns out it had the added benefit of strengthening my legs and that really helped my recovery. At three weeks post op I was walking without a cane and at eight weeks my surgeon and p/t discharged me, saying there was no reason to come back to see them unless I had a problem.

Now, six months later, I am pretty much back to doing whatever I want, limited somewhat by my right knee, which will be replaced this coming November '17.

Pick your surgeon and physical therapist carefully, and exercise your legs prior to surgery and I think you will find your recovery will be quick. Best of luck!

Bio Freeze is the best. You can get it at drugstore.com, Bed Bath and Beyond and Target.

Bio Freeze has worked well for me. I'm a retired Occupational health nurse and it worked good for work related aches and pains that I treated for workers in the carpet plants

It really depends on several factors, your overall physical condition, skill of the surgeon, skill of your physical therapist, and how determined you are to succeed.

I have always been active, so for me not being able to do the things I wanted to do was driving me nuts. I took up swimming for exercise because I couldn't walk more than a block without being in pain and swimming was the best way to stay fit in a low-impact manner. Turns out it had the added benefit of strengthening my legs and that really helped my recovery. At three weeks post op I was walking without a cane and at eight weeks my surgeon and p/t discharged me, saying there was no reason to come back to see them unless I had a problem.

Now, six months later, I am pretty much back to doing whatever I want, limited somewhat by my right knee, which will be replaced this coming November '17.

Pick your surgeon and physical therapist carefully, and exercise your legs prior to surgery and I think you will find your recovery will be quick. Best of luck!

Thank you for the response, and sharing your experience as well. I now have a fair idea on the factors to a full recovery.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got osteoarthritis in both knees. Because of a history of ulcers I can't take the majority of arthritis meds that are currently available. I'm pretty much limited to Tylenol. I'm finding that a routine of steady physical therapy designed to strengthen the surrounding muscles helps me more than anything else. Therapy sessions are almost always followed by ice and elevation.

For my cruise last week, I chose to go have cortisone shots the week before I left in both knees. I'm so glad that I did that. I had a fantastic week and by 1 o'clock every afternoon I had met my step goal for the day. I even managed the stairs when going up or down 1 flight. More than that and I chose the elevator.

Everything was great until I got out of the Van Sunday night when I got home. My left knee has decided to really hurt and swell up. At least it waited til I got home.

- Iris

I've got osteoarthritis in both knees. Because of a history of ulcers I can't take the majority of arthritis meds that are currently available. I'm pretty much limited to Tylenol. I'm finding that a routine of steady physical therapy designed to strengthen the surrounding muscles helps me more than anything else. Therapy sessions are almost always followed by ice and elevation.

For my cruise last week, I chose to go have cortisone shots the week before I left in both knees. I'm so glad that I did that. I had a fantastic week and by 1 o'clock every afternoon I had met my step goal for the day. I even managed the stairs when going up or down 1 flight. More than that and I chose the elevator.

Everything was great until I got out of the Van Sunday night when I got home. My left knee has decided to really hurt and swell up. At least it waited til I got home.

- Iris

Try Aloe Vera juice for your stomach. I too have osteo and just had a partial knee replacement. I couldn't be happier and pain free. No swelling anymore. I do take Celebrex when I really ache and it has never bothered my stomach. They say that is why so many folks like it because it is easy on the tummy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would kneel, and feel like a hammer was beating on my knees. By chance, I started taking Move Free Triple Strength once a day, and that particular pain was history in a month.

Understand, this stuff doesn't work for everyone, but it did for me. :)

(Now, my knuckles are a different story!;p)

• 6 months later...

Looks like a lot of us are in the same boat. I've had one knee replaced, but in spite of pain the Dr. says not to do the other. I think he feels I'm too old (77) to get all the benefit.

I'm tired of tours that act as if we are all Olympic walking stars. So this trip (especially for stops in Luxor and Petra), I'm organizing special "turtle tours." These will be private with no more than six people with the same problems. The tour operator will understand our guidelines, and we should have a comfortable trip for about the cost of the cattle-call ship tours.

Good luck with your knees!

My knees are bad....by Labour Day weekend I was taking Tylenol with the Codine and Advil.......physio couldn't help me anymore....by the time I got I to the Wally store from the parking lot I had to drive one of the scooters.....,

I went to a different drug store and looked around for a brace (the metal bars down the side physio gave me dug in...) I discovered this type of tape called KT tape Pro....comes in pre-cut strips. Not sure the price down your way, but it's $25.00/roll here). I came home and watched the instructions on their web site, and since Sep 3rd, I have not had to take anything for pain for my knees and can get upstairs OK (down still huts a bit but nothing like it did).

I find the tape lasts about 6 days, so I paid about $5.00/week. You can swim, shower, hot tub....it doesn't feel hot or restrictive. I bought 2 rolls to bring on my 10 day cruise as I'll be swimming, hot tubbing, sand, etc and may need to replace more often, but it's been a wonderful solution for me that is drug free. Comes in beige, black, some other colours....I stuck with beige.

Also has videos on line for shoulders, arms, hips, back, ankles...

Edited by Shih-tzu
Spell check is killing me!
  • Like 1

Looks like a lot of us are in the same boat......., I'm organizing special "turtle tours." These will be private with no more than six people with the same problems. The tour operator will understand our guidelines, and we should have a comfortable trip for about the cost of the cattle-call ship tours.

Good luck with your knees!

TURTLE tours!!!!! Love it!!!!!!:D

- Iris

I can't take NSAIDS either. My doctor sent me to physical therapy & keeping on the exercises helps a lot. Also applying cold helps so I travel with an ice bag - 20 minutes on each knee if the day was hard on them.

My issue with NSAIDS isn't stomach - I can take aspirin occasionally so use that if icing isn't enough.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I'll add a vote for the Bio-Freeze. If you live in a state where cannabis is legal and you are OK with topical use, we've had the best luck with infused creams/gels. We had one we love called CEREs, but they aren't making the same formula. And I don't think it's legal a lot of places so travelling with it might be dicey. The other is a brand called Flow.

• 4 weeks later...

After my cruise in February my knee swelled so bad I could barely walk on it I finally went to an orthopedic who gave me a shot that last five months. I am now getting ready for another cruise but this time I will have a walker that also has a seat on it so I’ll be able to rest in between walking around the ship.

• 4 weeks later...

My meniscus' in both knees degenerated in 2011 so I take ibuprofen and wrap them in ace bandages when I work (I'm an RN walking for 12 hrs a day at the hospital). Walking up stairs isn't fun, but walking down stairs is much more difficult. I try to take the elevators on the ship because I want to keep my knees as pain free for the duration of the trip and, hopefully, avoid surgery.

I am the guy who had his left knee replaced and got a staph infection. Was on a pic line for 2.5 months and after 3 more surgery's I can bend my knee about 65 degrees. My advice is not only look into the surgeon, but also look into the history of the hospital. I didn't and it had a history of staph and it changed my life. I was never in a hospital till I was 57 and have had only one day in the last 10 years without pain.

Get more than one opinion also.

I am the guy who had his left knee replaced and got a staph infection. Was on a pic line for 2.5 months and after 3 more surgery's I can bend my knee about 65 degrees. My advice is not only look into the surgeon, but also look into the history of the hospital. I didn't and it had a history of staph and it changed my life. I was never in a hospital till I was 57 and have had only one day in the last 10 years without pain.

Man, I am so sorry for your results. I guess that I just got lucky with my two knee replacement surgeries, actually, my surgeon said I was the exception to the rule. I have never had any issue with either of my knees since my replacements.

Shipper

In 08 when I had my rt hip done, they almost killed me. Gave me too much anesthesia put me in ICU. It now time for the Lt one same surgeron different hospital. He had a big falling out with the old hospital. So I drive an hour for surgery

What a sobering post. I’m sorry you have been through all of this. I won’t rush for sugery on my knee then.

Shipper

In 08 when I had my rt hip done, they almost killed me. Gave me too much anesthesia put me in ICU. It now time for the Lt one same surgeron different hospital. He had a big falling out with the old hospital. So I drive an hour for surgery

Good luck with the next one. They say you don't go to hospitals to get well? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone try the relatively new "minimally invasive" total knee replacement?

Like the idea of smaller incision and pushing muscles, tendons & kneecap aside in lieu of the normal cutting & dislocation of the knee to install prosthetic. Also, significantly less recovery time.

Downside is lack of long-term studies for operation long-term success and the like. Also, heard that doctors favor younger (<65 years), lighter and fitter patients.