Bad knees?

beachbum53

I had it done robotically a year ago for bone on bone in my left knee. It was amazing. I am pain free. I would highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for you,glad it worked out. But my surgeon was not the problem, it was the hospital that most people don't look into ahead of time.

Go on-line and see if you can find some "Dr. Sloan's Liniment for Man or Beast". It comes in a bottle that has a picture of Dr. Sloan who looks like one of the Smith Brothers cough drop guys. On the front of the bottle it used to give you the amounts to use for your various ailments and on the back you can add a few tablespoons to five-gallons of water to ease the pain of your horse's fetlocks or something along those line!

Wow they still make that? My grandfather swore by it. Aspercreme works pretty good and no odor.

Arthroscopy didn't help my knee but a total joint replacement did. It's 18 years old and I'm hoping it will outlive me.

The other knee got too painful and my orthopedist gave me SynVisc injections 10 years ago. That's still working. He always says if the pain destroys your joy in living, it's time for a replacement, till then, live with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Diclofenac, also know as Voltaren, is an over the counter gel rubbed into the skin, but it is also available in RX strengths, and helps my hubby's joint pain a lot. We try not to take the elevators unless we are on a very low deck going to a very high one. For your type of pain, an RX might be helpful. Nicole

• 1 month later...

I use Bio-Freeze not only on my knees but on my shoulders as well. Had a knee replacement several years ago and while most of the pain is gone I have some limitations with that knee. I can't bend it all the way so going up and down stairs I'd slow going. But I had something unusual happen with my knee replacement. I have tissue infusion into the new knee. Yes it can be repaired but it means more surgery and no guarantee it won't happen again. So I live with it like it is and decided not to have the other knee done.

I use Bio-Freeze not only on my knees but on my shoulders as well. Had a knee replacement several years ago and while most of the pain is gone I have some limitations with that knee. I can't bend it all the way so going up and down stairs I'd slow going. But I had something unusual happen with my knee replacement. I have tissue infusion into the new knee. Yes it can be repaired but it means more surgery and no guarantee it won't happen again. So I live with it like it is and decided not to have the other knee done.

Well, that’s bad news! My metal knee is 19 years old and stiffens up if I’m in one position very long. My other knee is awful but I’ve been able to deal with it.

I pitched my Biofreeze a couple of years ago, but I’ll buy some more and try it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Scheduled for a Mako Robotic total knee replacement for my left knee on August 25th. Wish me luck. Had my blood draws & CT scans today.

Right knee has a couple of more years left. Now taking a 5-shot regimen (every six months) of viscosupplementation (Hyalgen) which keeps me pretty much pain free, for now.

I had the Mako robotic surgery in April for a partial knee. I have had both knees done a year apart. I am pain free. I can climb stairs ride a bike and have done up to 7 miles this summer. Good luck and be sure to do everything they tell you to do in therapy. I also had the ice machine wrap with the pump. It sure helped a lot!!

• 2 weeks later...

Had my total knee replacement surgery this morning. Resting comfortably at hospital, will stay overnight. Moving in bed as much as possible while awaiting nerve block to wear off a bit. Stood up this afternoon to see in a bottle. Leg is like a noodle and won't take much weight until nerve block is gone or reduced. Bring on PT!

Do your therapy religiously and you’ll eventually forget you ever had a problem with that knee.

I concur. I have had replacement surgery on both knees, did the PT religiously and never looked back. Playing tennis (on hard courts) 4-6 times a week without issue.

Had my operation on Monday. PT is coming to my house tomorrow for two weeks. Already have two days of DYI PT.

Trick for me will be how hard to push myself. Don't want to tear anything or make myself so sore that the next session will be ineffectual.

Gotta do better with getting quality sleep. Tried my doctor-recommended method of sleeping on on my back with no pillow under the knee -- not so good. Tonight, will try a pillow under lower leg.

Some PT say that sleeping on the non-operated side with the operated knee over a pillow over non-operated knee is OK too.

Also, still waiting for MiraLAX & Metamucil to move me along. ;-)

I can’t sleep on my back, though I was forced to do it for a few weeks after my hip replacement. For my right knee replacement, I slept on my left side with a pillow between my knees and it was great. Still doing it!

If you put a pillow under your lower leg while on your back, you might strain your knee. Ask your Dr before you do it.

Had my operation on Monday. PT is coming to my house tomorrow for two weeks. Already have two days of DYI PT.

Trick for me will be how hard to push myself. Don't want to tear anything or make myself so sore that the next session will be ineffectual.

Gotta do better with getting quality sleep. Tried my doctor-recommended method of sleeping on on my back with no pillow under the knee -- not so good. Tonight, will try a pillow under lower leg.

Some PT say that sleeping on the non-operated side with the operated knee over a pillow over non-operated knee is OK too.

Also, still waiting for MiraLAX & Metamucil to move me along. ;-)

Try warm prune juice and Senokot. Those pain pills make it so much more difficult.

I had my knee replaced when still in my 40's (53 now) -- and now looking at hip replacement -- but I would die without Bio Freeze. It's available in several different places -- got mine at Sam's. The best thing to help with knees is to keep moving.

I use Bio Freeze Roll On ,a great product.

Still lots of pain 6 days after TKR. But PT has me at 70 degrees of flexure. 90 degrees is goal for post op visit net Friday.

Was taking my 325mg Tylenol two at a time and oxycodone one at a time. Today, will switch to one and one of each to even out the pain control.

What doesn't kill me will make me stronger, right? ;-)

Still lots of pain 6 days after TKR. But PT has me at 70 degrees of flexure. 90 degrees is goal for post op visit net Friday.

Was taking my 325mg Tylenol two at a time and oxycodone one at a time. Today, will switch to one and one of each to even out the pain control.

90 degrees will make you stronger because it will try to kill you!

I dreaded having that measurement taken.

You’ll survive and thankfully the memory of the pain won’t.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the more you work it the more you will gain in the long run. It will hurt, but you will be surprised when it doesn't hurt and you can bend it 100 plus.