Life Jackets in cabin

SAS21

It has just come to my attention the there are no life jackets in the cabins on Oasis and Quantum class ships.

My DH and I have our first cruise on Allure in 2016. The fact that there are no life jackets in the cabins concerns me. I realize that they are available thru out the ship and at the muster and lifeboat stations, but I would really like to have one in my cabin (I'm one of those just in case OCD people). When I think of the Costa ship that went down and how the evacuation was mishandled, it would be comforting to know that I could grab a life jacket during the night if needed.

Having said that I don't think RCL would ever put our lives in danger in that manner, but one never knows what will happen.

Do you think if I asked the stateroom attendant for life jackets they would comply or deny my request?

No bashing please.

Thanks

Edited by SAS21

It has just come to my attention the there are no life jackets in the cabins on Oasis and Quantum class ships.

My DH and I have our first cruise on Allure in 2016. The fact that there are no life jackets in the cabins concerns me. I realize that they are available thru out the ship and at the muster and lifeboat stations, but I would really like to have one in my cabin (I'm one of those just in case OCD people). When I think of the Costa ship that went down and how the evacuation was mishandled, it would be comforting to know that I could grab a life jacket during the night if needed.

Having said that I don't think RCL would ever put our lives in danger in that manner, but one never knows what will happen.

Do you think if I asked the stateroom attendant for life jackets they would comply or deny my request?

No bashing please.

Thanks

You could buy one and bring your own.

novicetraveller got it right. That´s one of the main reasons they don´t have life jackets in the cabins anymore.

Imagine 6,400 people running up and down trying to get to their cabin just to grab the life jacket when the general alarm rings! Then all those people try to rush to their muster station with the strips hanging down and other people dripping and falling... On such large ships it´s safer and faster to have the people move directly to their muster station and provide the life jackets there (and they are there, I saw a storage room on deck 6 near the Photo Shop). People can move faster without their life jackets and there´s no need to go back to your cabin (unless you need medication). So you don´t have a "two way traffic" on the stairs.

The other point is that - believe it or not - a lot of life jackets are stolen by passengers or just damaged. No jackets in the cabin is reducing this risk. Even when you have a life jacket in your cabin the cruise line needs to store almost the amount of life jackets as the number of passenger somewhere near the muster station as not everyone is able to return to his cabin (and actually you should not return to your cabin to grab your life jacket - this was one of the major mistakes on the Costa Concordia - there the passengers were advised to go to their cabins, lots of people drowned in their cabins). So with jackets in the cabin and at the muster station you need a lot more jackets in total.

There´s definitely no need to feel unsafe - it´s the opposite way - having no jacket in your cabin is much safer as the evacuation goes faster (no, you don´t need to evacuate the ship when the general alarm rings, you only go to your muster station but this process is much faster when you get your life jacket at the muster station and in most of the cases you don´t need the life jacket during a general alarm situtation).

steamboats

No bashing please.

Thanks

So here is a serious question. Your stateroom is on the 6th floor and you are getting a tan on the 15th. The evacuation siren goes. Are you going back to your room to get the life jacket, or are you going to the Muster station?

OP did specify that they wanted it for nighttime security and not if they were on the pool deck.

OP did specify that they wanted it for nighttime security and not if they were on the pool deck.

This is what I initially thought also....BUT.....if that alarm goes off in the middle of the night..are you not supposed to immediately go to your muster station? Hence, this is where all the life jackets are, no?

I think if you ask you will get one. However, bring their own pillows so why not their own lifejacket? If it provides personal comfort why not, espically if you can drive to port.

It isn't something I would do, but if it works for the OP then go for it.

Edited by A&L_Ont

I used the wrong example. I wonder how many people would remember to pick up their lifejacket during an emergency if their room was their starting point? Or, if the OP went to the late night comedy club, would they go back to their room? Ok, I concede some will remember, but how many times RCI had to issue a lifejacket because people forgot? Not trying to have a dig at the OP, but I think they should ne ok.

This is what I initially thought also....BUT.....if that alarm goes off in the middle of the night..are you not supposed to immediately go to your muster station? Hence, this is where all the life jackets are, no?

I used the wrong example. I wonder how many people would remember to pick up their lifejacket during an emergency if their room was their starting point? Or, if the OP went to the late night comedy club, would they go back to their room? Ok, I concede some will remember, but how many times RCI had to issue a lifejacket because people forgot? Not trying to have a dig at the OP, but I think they should ne ok.

Oasis and Quantum (?) class ships are the ONLY ships that, I have recently found out, do not have life jackets in the staterooms.

But even on the ships where you do have them, there are ALSO lifejackets all over the ship.

So RCI has to "issue" lifejackets anyway, when people aren't in their rooms when the sirens go off (however often that happens).

I personally don't like that they don't have them on those ships. I'm not actually planning on going on those ships, so until it trickles down to the other classes it's not going to affect me. But I still think it's odd.

If they OP feels more comfortable with a life jacket in the cabin and can get one or two from the attendant then I'm not sure why there's any debate. People ask their attendants for all kinds of things and a life jacket is probably low on the difficult to provide scale.

I think I prefer to not have to deal with a life jacket until reaching a muster station. In an emergency I think it would be much easier to maneuver around the ship not wearing one especially if there is smoke and you are crawling around on the floor.

I would suggest that anyone contemplating the purchase of a "lifejacket" spend a few minutes on the USGC web site reading up on the subject. A poorly chosen model may be worse than none at all.
I agree with the first sentence, however any PFD is better then none.

Thank you!

Although, I knew there would be some bashing, NEVER FAILS! That's why I usually just lurk.

I asked a simple question, no one knows how to reply in a genuine way. I know there are numerous ones available for the times I am on a pool deck, at dinner or in a show.

I want one for when the alarm may go off in the middle of the night.

Edited by SAS21

Thank you!

Although, I knew there would be some bashing, NEVER FAILS! That's why I usually just lurk.

I asked a simple question, no one knows how to reply in a genuine way. I know there are numerous ones available for the times I am on a pool deck, at dinner or in a show.

One thing you must understand about passenger muster. There is no direct correlation between the signal for passenger muster and the decision to abandon ship. You could be sent to muster stations because of a fire, which the crew could fight for hours, before the Captain ever considered putting the passengers into the boats. Muster is for accountability, not for getting into lifeboats or jumping in the ocean. As I seem to have posted quite a lot this week, the signal that passengers relate to muster (more than six short blasts and one long blast) is actually the signal for "fire and general emergency". So needing a life jacket immediately upon hearing the muster signal should not be a first priority. The priority is getting to the muster location so that a head count can be made, and crew assigned to locate those missing. This also frees emergency teams from having to look for casualties in fires, etc, where none would be if the accountability is completed.

This is always am interesting discussion. My thought has always been why not have them in the cabins? But, as someone said, they are stolen or damaged. If that's the case, why are they in cabins on other classes of ships? Are they just trying to cut expenses on the larger ships?

I just hope they call Muster at the earliest possible time (Concordia).

Plus where do they store the life jackets in the theater? A lot of passengers don't actually go to a lifeboat station.

There is no such thing as a perfect emergency, if half the ship is underwater does the other side have enough for everyone? I have to go to deck 4 anyway, why not stop? They always tell you to stop and put on warm clothes, and bring medications.

Just food for thought.

This is always am interesting discussion. My thought has always been why not have them in the cabins? But, as someone said, they are stolen or damaged. If that's the case, why are they in cabins on other classes of ships? Are they just trying to cut expenses on the larger ships?

I just hope they call Muster at the earliest possible time (Concordia).

Plus where do they store the life jackets in the theater? A lot of passengers don't actually go to a lifeboat station.

There is no such thing as a perfect emergency, if half the ship is underwater does the other side have enough for everyone? I have to go to deck 4 anyway, why not stop? They always tell you to stop and put on warm clothes, and bring medications.

Just food for thought.

Perfect segue.

Our Muster station on the Oasis class is in the dining room. In the dining room there are closets full of life jackets, hidden behind dark wood like panels. They would be handed to you if you need them prior to getting into a life boat or leaving the ship in some ther fashion. :eek:

I would believe that at every station on the Oasis Class as well as Quantum Class there are thousands of life vests "hidden" behind panelled doors. I think I remember seeing the one for the aqua theatre close to the bus and mini cars by Johnny Rockets. I think there is an image of a life vest where they are stored.

Perfect segue.

Our Muster station on the Oasis class is in the dining room. In the dining room there are closets full of life jackets, hidden behind dark wood like panels. They would be handed to you if you need them prior to getting into a life boat or leaving the ship in some ther fashion. :eek:

I would believe that at every station on the Oasis Class as well as Quantum Class there are thousands of life vests "hidden" behind paneled doors. I think I remember seeing the one for the aqua theater close to the bus and mini cars by Johnny Rockets. I think there is an image of a life vest where they are stored.

Thank you, Good to know.

I've seen that symbol around the ship and I guess I never paid attention.

I understand the OP's concern.

It is approved by the USCG and I think you have a better chance of winning the lottery than those cruise ships sinkng

Our Muster Station on the Allure Ta was the ice rink. The PFD's were in closets.

I know what a CF lines were at guess services and booking shows. I can only imagine if I really needed one.

Next time I sail on the Allure I will bring my white hat and dungarees as I know I can float with those:D:p

Edited by jonbgd

Thank you!

I don't see where anyone bashed you. Maybe not understand why you want one in your room but no nasty comments.

Just because someone questions you or doesn't agree doesn't equal bashing.

I understand the OP's concern.

It is approved by the USCG and I think you have a better chance of winning the lottery than those cruise ships sinkng

Our Muster Station on the Allure Ta was the ice rink. The PFD's were in closets.

I know what a CF lines were at guess services and booking shows. I can only imagine if I really needed one.

Next time I sail on the Allure I will bring my white hat and dungarees as I know I can float with those:D:p

You should have told the rude passenger that was no life jacket for him. :D