LIVE From the Serenade of the Seas with Trainman-2 & Judith

Trainman-2

I love the dog cam from your pet sitter! I wish ours had something like this. It would be wonderful to be able to check on her, while we are away.

The Web Cams are new this year. They send us a photo every day and sometimes comments on how Booty is doing.

You just got turned around, it happens to a lot of people cruising @ Port Everglades :)

I see now that you are right!

Judith asked where all of the people who are usually waving were and I figured out that they were on the other side of the ship.

That happened to us once when we were on a 10 night cruise on the Jewel some years ago. The parking next to the terminal seemed to be just for regular ships Allure and Oasis, while there were obvious empty spaces we noticed, and could also see them from the deck of the ship.

We now use off site parking, but your situation is not easy to use that venue I assume. Shame they did not let you use those empty spaces.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but a Simple ADA lawsuits against Port Everglades and Broward county will take care of that. Only a matter of time before someone files one. The spots should be available to those properly licensed to use them not reserved for certain people.

I have always been diverted to the alternate parking area if not departing on Oasis/Allure - and this goes back to when the port first opened this area for both Celebrity and RCI ships on non-Sat/Sun arrivals/departures.

I believe that part of the problem is staffing - while it may make sense that someone at one gate or the other gate doesn't really matter - the port probably has a really good idea of those drivers requiring parking spaces and wants to ensure parking space is readily available for both Allure/Oasis drivers. We ran into similar parking issues at Port Liberty, specific parking areas per ship.

Security also comes to mind as this is a working port - no one should be wandering around a bunch of parked cars on days when no one should be there.

I believe we were on Allure while Oasis was in Europe (or other way around!) - the other lot of parking spaces was covered with cargo units. I also would have liked to have been able to park closer rather than walk the extra distance to the auxiliary parking area.

Handicap parking is available and was used by Trainman at the alternate parking area - no ADA issues there.

Judy

We had dinner at Giovanni's Table tonight and over all, we were disappointed.

The food ranged from pretty good to excellent!

We had two appetizers

DSCN0962_zpssirqga7s.jpg

DSCN0961_zpsjjlp8kbe.jpg

We both had the Lamb Chops (our favorite) and I asked for an extra chop

Judith

DSCN0963_zpsjpy7elx3.jpg

Me

DSCN0964_zpsf8t00bzk.jpg

So why were we disappointed?

- It was so dark in the restaurant that it was really hard to read the menus. Everyone was holding them close to their face and tilting them around to get the best light.

- The last time we were in a Giovanni's we were served sides of asparagus and corn and the lamb chops were stacked up above a scoop of mashed potatoes.

- This time we all we got was some half cooked (crunchy) mixed vegetables hidden under the lamb chops. They were good but we don't like half cooked vegetables. No, we didn't ask for fully cooked but we sure will next time. Our bad!

- Service was only fair. Our waiter was trying to serve too many tables.

Edited by Trainman-2

We sailed the Serenade last April on a repositioning cruise from New Orleans to Boston and we shall sail the same itinerary as you folks in mid-January. This will be our first stop at Antigua and St. Kitts. If you are taking the train tour on St. Kitts, I would be interested in your thoughts and any photos.

I look forward to checking in and reading your comments each day.

P.S. We found that the Park Café is a great place for a light lunch on a sea day.

Day 2, Saturday, November 14, 2015 - At Sea

Good Morning Everyone,

Early in the morning the most important spot on the ship is the morning coffee area next to the entrance to the Windjammer!

DSCN0965_zpsaozj2te5.jpg

Today is a Sea Day and tonight we turn out clocks and watches forward one hour when we go to bed.

Tonight is the first Formal Night.

It is sort of nice being an early riser because I have the whole ship to myself!

I am sure that security person is watching me on the ship's cameras and wondering what I am up to.

I walked (hobbled) very slowly for one lap around the jogging track on Deck 12 (it was really windy) between my first and second cups of coffee. I only had to stop and rest (sit down) twice!

When on the ship I don't use my Rollator. I use my cane because there are always plenty of places to sit down and rest.

Edited by Trainman-2

Good morning trainman-2. Your menus came out clear. I'm also an early riser and love to get pictures of empty venues. Can't beat the sunrise over the ocean. We will be sailing on December 4, our 1st time on Serenade but we have sailed on the other 3 of that class. They are beautiful ships. Thank you for your wonderful review and happy sailing. Johanne.

Great photos! Watched the sail away on the web cam.

Enjoy seeing the pictures of Booty at play. Our cat sitter sends us photos of our kitty while she is staying at her B&B. It would be cheaper to pay for her to cruise. LOL

Have fun!

LOL! Our cat sitter does the same thing! I can't wait to check emails each morning to get the kitty report and the 3-4 pictures she sends us! :)