Email about Legionnaires

ddawson711

Thanks for suggesting I do research. Why didn't I think of that. :rolleyes:As someone who has respitory issues and have had them my entire life I can tell you that this is down right negligence.

Now we hear that Royal is now offering to change ships for people? Are you kidding me? I want to also know how many were confirmed and why they didn't notify us before the trip on the 9th when clearly this was being investigated. Hot tubs were close before boarding AND I saw a man testing them during our trip.

And I think u are the one who is embarrassing urself with your lack of compassion for individuals medical conditions. Plenty of seniors on this ship as well Captain. Email clearly states this has been as issue for months. All I'm saying is that I would hope a huge company like Royal would have contacted me and let me know there was a possible medical threat onboard so I could have determined the action I needed to take for me and my family. Obviously I'm not alone here.

First off, the information about offering to change ships is hearsay; another poster heard this from a customer service rep, on the phone, but we all know how little the phone reps really know.

There are NO confirmed cases from the Majesty. Two people who were on the Majesty are confirmed cases, but again, they are not confirmed to be caused by the Majesty, though the coincidence lends credibility to it being the ship, which is why the USPH/CDC is monitoring the ship.

Not sure of your cruising history, but with or without legionella, you would have seen a crew member testing the hot tubs. All pools and public hot tubs must be tested manually every 4 hours, for pool chemistry, in addition to the automatic/continuous monitoring, not for bacterial contamination. Bacterial contamination tests take 18-24 hours to perform, and are regularly done in the ship's medical center, where the monthly water samples are tested.

Yes, we do agree to make the best use of resources for education.

I have never had to have this conversation, thank god, with my family Dr. so I am not quite sure how much knowledge he has on this subject. He may or may not have the ability to drop as much knowledge on me as you have!!! :)

Well, having been a cruise ship senior officer, it is required that we are all trained by the USPH in sanitation and basic epidemiology, and then you tend to live it every day on the ship, so you accrue experience to go with the training.

Well, having been a cruise ship senior officer, it is required that we are all trained by the USPH in sanitation and basic epidemiology, and then you tend to live it every day on the ship, so you accrue experience to go with the training.

Totally respect your first hand knowledge on this.

With that being said.......you, of all people, should understand the risk of taking medical advice on an internet cruise forum!! That's been my point from post one of mine. For everyone that has real concerns, to educate themselves and then if still having concerns, reach out to the professionals for advice that they can see in person might be the best way to go.

Totally respect your first hand knowledge on this.

With that being said.......you, of all people, should understand the risk of taking medical advice on an internet cruise forum!! That's been my point from post one of mine. For everyone that has real concerns, to educate themselves and then if still having concerns, reach out to the professionals for advice that they can see in person might be the best way to go.

Absolutely. As I posted in my first post on this thread, I make no recommendations for anyone, I will only give facts and experience with the world class professionals at USPH/CDC.

When we sailed Enchantment of the Seas the condition of the shower was appalling with rust all over the shower head and stains on the shower curtain. Majesty is another old ship being milked for the last $ before going to dry dock for rehab. As for the pseudo experts on CC naysaying sensible concerns about corporate responsibility I suggest you buy a V W diesel.

Freedom of the Seas was clean and an example of how a ship should always be.

This site is a joke. No one has compassion they just want to sit and try to argue a point. What babies!!! I have cancelled the cruise on the 16th and was accomedated. I book another on a different ship for a different month. Good luck to all and GOD SPEED!

This site is a joke. No one has compassion they just want to sit and try to argue a point. What babies!!! I have cancelled the cruise on the 16th and was accomedated. I book another on a different ship for a different month. Good luck to all and GOD SPEED!

We actually do. Did you receive an email from Royal Caribbean, or did you change your cruise booking because of what you read on here?

What about the people they knowingly sent on a contaminated ship? I wouldn't trust a company that did that. health is where I draw the line. This is very messed up. Negligent and almost criminal if u ask me. They have a responsibly to let me and my family know pre boarding. I'll never take another cruise again.

First of all I applaud your decsion to never cruise again and I´m very happy to hear that.

On a second note fortunately I´m not asking you and the majority won´t ask you either.

My family is schedule to set sail on 11/20. I just read the message about the Legionella Virus this morning. I was immediately alarm when I read that they found traces of it from the showering system and that investigation is still ongoing. I was further alarm when I learned that it's a severe type of Pneumonia and that most everyone in my party are at high risk. I then contacted a consulting nurse and asked her if there was a vaccine or vitamins (to boost our immune system) or anything we could do to reduce our risk. Unfortunately there isn't any and she highly suggested that we don't take the cruise given that the issue is not completely resolve and that we're at a high risk. We've been excitedly looking forward to taking this cruise and cancelling it is the last thing we want to do. I called Royal Caribbean hoping they would assure me that the ship is free of Legionella and everything is good to go, but instead I was given the run around. After spending couple hours on the phone I was told that they are looking into alternatives such as giving refunds and considering putting us into another ship (this prompted me to think that the problem is more serious and that no further actio is being taken). I was happy to hear the latter. I told them that most likely there are others who feel the same way because people don't book cruises only to cancel. In addition, I think it'd be more ideal to just board the passengers in another ship and not take the chance, because if anybody is to get really sick or worst die then it'll be a bigger problem for them. They were already negligent in not informing us in a timely manner so I hope that they would look into a more accommodating approach to make their customers happy and to compensate for the stress that they're putting on us. I don't think that simply giving a refund will leave a good impression.
This post is ridiculous....Put you on another ship, really, how would you propose that?????? Compensate you for stress, really, get a l:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:ife, please....

I was on the 10/31 cruise and received the email on 11/13. The hot tubs were open the first day but closed the last two. I will be on the Majesty again on 11/23 and have full intentions of sailing on her. I feel if there is still an issue the hot tubs would be closed. After reading how you can contract the disease I feel safe going on the Majesty and will take my own precautions.

Edited by cruisinwithmaandpa

If you can drown out the white noise and that can often surround some posters in threads, you will see some tried to take you in a direction that helped you make up your mind without being condescending. CC also has a habit of some posters jamming their opinion down your throat also.

Don't count this site out yet. Weed through the crap-there is a shower at the end!!! :D

What about the people they knowingly sent on a contaminated ship? I wouldn't trust a company that did that. health is where I draw the line. This is very messed up. Negligent and almost criminal if u ask me. They have a responsibly to let me and my family know pre boarding. I'll never take another cruise again.

Have fun existing isolated in your little safe house, never going anywhere. There is risk in stepping outside of your house - much more risk than the think chance of being affected by something that might or might not (remember, the cases have NOT been genetically linked to the stuff found on the ship at this point) vibe the root of TWO cases out of THOUSANDS of exposures. As has been stated, if the CDC felt there was a clear and present threat to the public, they would have shut the ship down.

You'll probably want to avoid showering in your own home as well... unless you're testing on a daily basis.

One of my favorite sayings is "The leading cause of death? Is life." Enjoy!

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

I just returned today and left the Majesty around 9 AM only to receive this email around 4:20 pm. Since boarding the ship on the 9th we noticed that both hottubs were indeed closed. However, didn't think much of this since this is my first cruise and I figured they were just broken.

After 4 days at sea (and multiple showers), I'm am a bit concerned to say the least. Mostly I'm pretty outraged that there were no signs, no announcements and no email until today, after I'm off the ship, when clearly this was confirmed and known since October, and I booked in July.

Any one else feel like they rolled the dice with our health??? .What do you guys think? I would have canceled the cruise having known this and now am questioning that motion sickness i felt on the boat.

Yes it would have been nice to know in advance. Feeling motion sick has NOTHING to do with Legionnaires disease. takes at least a week to get sick. Think how many people were on the ship in the past month, only one sick. It seems like they have caught it and stopped the spread.

We traveled on this ship Nov.6-9 2015. Just today we received this email you are all talking about.

I specifically asked customer service why the hot tubs were closed. " His reply was. They are working on them, they do not have the proper flow rate, they will be repaired by days end."

This was a well rehearsed bull faced lie!!!!!! Never again they get my money or referrals. I have not felt real good since this trip, now getting this email almost a week later, wonder if indeed I do have Legionnaires disease.

We traveled on this ship Nov.6-9 2015. Just today we received this email you are all talking about.

I specifically asked customer service why the hot tubs were closed. " His reply was. They are working on them, they do not have the proper flow rate, they will be repaired by days end."

This was a well rehearsed bull faced lie!!!!!! Never again they get my money or referrals. I have not felt real good since this trip, now getting this email almost a week later, wonder if indeed I do have Legionnaires disease.

It makes me wonder if the employees know what is actually going on. Maybe that is what they are told, it's hard to know for sure.

Edited by cruisinwithmaandpa

Sailed on Majesty Nov 2nd. My wife and I are both on cpaps that were clearly visable the whole time in the cabin. Sure would have been nice to have known about the problem so we could have gotten some distilled water rather than use the tap water. To get an email this late is ridiculous when they've known about the problem this long!

Sailed on Majesty Nov 2nd. My wife and I are both on cpaps that were clearly visable the whole time in the cabin. Sure would have been nice to have known about the problem so we could have gotten some distilled water rather than use the tap water. To get an email this late is ridiculous when they've known about the problem this long!

As I've stated previously, there was no positive test for legionella from any source other than showers, and the breeding of legionella in the shower heads in no way affected the water you used in your cpap from the sink tap.