Cruise Critic Community
fyree39

Did you plan a special retirement cruise?

When we retired I made a bucket list and number one was HAWAII now i can say ( been there done that ). I have number 2,3,and 4 booked and more to come.

Well Done. Hawaii is on my list and hope to go there in 2018 when I retire.

Care to share what some 2, 3 and 4 are ?

Regards

Ron

Edited by ronpes

Well Done. Hawaii is on my list and hope to go there in 2018 when I retire.

Care to share what some 2, 3 and 4 are ?

Regards

Ron

#2 ALASKA here we come August 16, 2016

#3 Southern Caribbean from San Juan November 13, 2016

#4 Southern Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale ARUBA April 28,2018

i am looking at what to do in 2017 first on my list PANAMA CANAL then a

MEDITERRANEAN CRUISE that should hold me over for awhile

Great list and thank you for sharing.

Alaska is also is on ours at some point. It would be nice to see it before it melts !

We have done Southern Caribbean out of San Juan. Great itinerary and some beautiful islands.

We did the Panama Canal in 2005 from San Diego to San Juan on Serenade of the Seas. We would love to do it again. Great cruise.

For 2018 I am considering Seattle to Sydney which also combines Hawaii and Fiji etc. Ideally from there we would love to go to New Zealand and do a land tour before flying home. We will see.

Great list and thank you for sharing.

Alaska is also is on ours at some point. It would be nice to see it before it melts !

We have done Southern Caribbean out of San Juan. Great itinerary and some beautiful islands.

We did the Panama Canal in 2005 from San Diego to San Juan on Serenade of the Seas. We would love to do it again. Great cruise.

For 2018 I am considering Seattle to Sydney which also combines Hawaii and Fiji etc. Ideally from there we would love to go to New Zealand and do a land tour before flying home. We will see.

This will also be our second time doing the Southern Caribbean from San Juan price was right so i jumped at it.

Can you tell me the difference between FULL TRANSIT and PARTIAL TRANSIT for PANAMA CANAL cruise, looking @ what cruise line to book.

We always extend our cruise with a land portion

HAWAII was total 17 days

San Juan was 14 days

ALASKA will be 16 days

ARUBA will be 22 days

Have you done a B2B cruise?

We did a Full transit where we entered the Canal from the Pacific side (From San Diego) and exited on the Atlantic / Caribbean Sea side to San Juan. We went through the locks at both ends of the canal.

It is more common these days to do the Partial or Half Transit trip where the ships tend to enter from the San Juan / Caribbean side and only go through the locks at that side and into Lake Catun. Then after a stop, turn and go back.

I guess that is for logistical reasons ie that way the ships can always be based in San Juan or Miami etc etc etc but still provide the experience of the canal. When we did it , it was a re-positioning cruise.

Yes, as we fly from the UK we have done several B2B's in the Caribbean. We tend to mix it with a Eastern and then a Western or vice versa. The majority of our cruising with friends tend to be of around 7 days duration. It is simply not worth the cost of the airfair for that relatively short length of time so we tend to extend the cruise experience if we can.

A B2B is great at the end of the first week when you know you are staying on when the vast majority of folks are leaving. Obviously it is preferable if you can stay in the same cabin but that is not always possible.

You still have to go though immigration but the ships staff will walk you down to the immigration staff after everyone else has left. You also get new Sea pass cards for the 2nd cruise etc.

As I am still currently working, the vast majority of our vacations are of two week duration. We can stretch it out to three weeks if I give sufficient warning but that then leaves little vacation time remaining in the year.

I retired in May after 37 years in nursing. I have the Harmony transatlantic booked for my celebration. I added the 3 night Rome cruise prior to the TA. A transatlantic cruise has been on my bucket list for a long time. I am beyond excited!:D

I retired in May after 37 years in nursing. I have the Harmony transatlantic booked for my celebration. I added the 3 night Rome cruise prior to the TA. A transatlantic cruise has been on my bucket list for a long time. I am beyond excited!:D

Good for you Tibtee. We have done 3 (Eastbound) so far and love them. We have another booked for next year on Independence.

Yes, a lot of sea days but,… soooo relaxing.

I am sitting at my computer looking at vacationing in Europe preferably near or around Paris 2017 but after what is happening there today MONTREAL, OTTAWA, QUEBEC seems a better choice

I am sitting at my computer looking at vacationing in Europe preferably near or around Paris 2017 but after what is happening there today MONTREAL, OTTAWA, QUEBEC seems a better choice

I recognize your feelings but if we all felt the same way then "they" win. Which for me at least is unacceptable. After all it was Nice last night, Orlando last month, but why would Montreal, Ottawa or Quebec be any less a target tomorrow?

I recognize your feelings but if we all felt the same way then "they" win. Which for me at least is unacceptable. After all it was Nice last night, Orlando last month, but why would Montreal, Ottawa or Quebec be any less a target tomorrow?

I definitely don't want them "they' to win

I still think I have more chance getting killed driving to work.

Keep calm and carry on.

I will be in Italy for a couple of weeks on a land vacation and then a few days in Switzerland in a couple of months traveling with my daughter and we have absolutely no qualms about traveling over there. We have traveled quite a bit and are just always aware of our surroundings. My daughter tells her co-workers that she is not worried when they question why she would want to go there. If it's her time, it's her time and she just hopes that if something happens it's at the end of the trip so she got to at least enjoy her vacation;)

Rita

DW retired last September and I followed in March. We started our retirement with a few days in Sydney followed by a B2B New Zealand and Transpacific Sydney to Seattle, 35 days on the Explorer OTS.

The next 18 months will include a number of B2B's, 6 trips totaling 200 nights.

When my husband retired we did a Star Clippers B2B Istanbull to Athens. Next year I will be 60 and we are returning to Star Clippers on Royal Clipper Rome to Venice having 3 nights in Rome to start and 2 in Venice at the end. Star Clippers are just the best for a celebration!

I retire in Dec 2016 and have a Baltic cruise booked in May 2017. We will spend a few days in Amsterdam pre cruise and a few nights post cruise in Stockholm. Very excited about the great itinerary w 3 days in St Petersburg. To celebrate in January we are planning a road trip down the East coast to Florida for a few weeks. Travel is such a passion and it will be nice to come home after a trip and not have to go back to work

Edited by Love 2 Travel

I retire in Dec 2016 and have a Baltic cruise booked in May 2017. We will spend a few days in Amsterdam pre cruise and a few nights post cruise in Stockholm. Very excited about the great itinerary w 3 days in St Petersburg. To celebrate in January we are planning a road trip down the East coast to Florida for a few weeks. Travel is such a passion and it will be nice to come home after a trip and not have to go back to work

We both retired in 2014 and we did a family road trip to Niagara Falls, I love this place. That same year we did the Southern Caribbean from San Juan we also do 3 to 5 days pre cruise and 5 to 7 days post because we can no job to come back to. 2015 we did 10 day Hawaii with 8 day pre-post stay 2016 In 7 days we will be on the Legend for a 7 day Alaska cruise 7 days pre-post stay because we can no job to come back to. 2016 November return to 7 day Southern Caribbean cruise with 8 days pre-post stay. that is what i did since retirement now if i can only remember what day it is that is what you will have to look forward to in retirement

Current plan is to retire in Dec 2017, after 36+ years. Have a Crown Loft Suite booked on the Oasis of the Seas for January 2018.

Just in case the plan gets accelerated to a June 2017 date, I have the westbound TA on the Freedom of the Seas booked in October 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Retiring April 2017, 25 night cruise from Rome to the us, then board in LA on a 28 day Tahiti cruise! Color me happy!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Retiring April 2017, 25 night cruise from Rome to the us, then board in LA on a 28 day Tahiti cruise! Color me happy!

That is an interesting itinerary. May I ask which line would that be on ?

Right now my thoughts for Oct 2018 is the 23 day Seattle to Sydney and am also thinking of extending it to include New Zealand. But this is also an interesting option.

Right now my thoughts for Oct 2018 is the 23 day Seattle to Sydney and am also thinking of extending it to include New Zealand. But this is also an interesting option.

We started our retirement last spring in the opposite direction. We started with New Zealand and continued on to Seattle.

Princess lines!

My wife retired a couple of years ago. I retired in August. Our 39 day cruise from San Diego to Auckland is our retirement cruise. Four days each in Auckland, Sydney, and San Francisco post cruise.

Next year I'm cycling across the USA from San Diego to St Augustine.

The 39 day cruise morphed from a 14 day cruise since we didn't want to fly both ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums