Forum Maintenance: Wednesday March 20 @5:00 am ET Read more... ×
Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pocka

What's the Story on Diamond Princess Sewage Smell?

O.K., I've heard about this smell from a number of posters. How bad is it in the theater? Where in the theater is the smell? It seems that the theater is where it is primarily lurking. What is being done about it? and, most importantly, can one avoid the odor without giving up some of the entertainment? Have never been on a ship before with a sewage smell problem. Thanks for everyone's input, cruising soon--hope no smell!

I'd like to know too. Rumors like that are really nasty and I doubt Princess will come out and explain, so I'm hoping passengers will continue to report what's happening on board.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;5;22;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Diamond Princess HERE WE COME! Alaska has never been so cool! 5/22/04

May 31, 2003 Carnival Triumph to Western Caribbean.

I was on the 4/10 cruise, and while I am embarrased to say I never went into the Princess Theatre once - we had late seating, and the shows never seemed to work out :-(

I did notice an "outhouse" smell when walking through the photo area sometimes. But maybe only about 3 times?? And, each of those times the people I was with did not smell it or notice it until I pointed it out. Maybe I have more of a nose for that kind of smell, who knows. (Is that a good or bad thing??!!)

Maybe someone else can provide some insight on the Princess theatre situation.

Casey

We were on the 4/10 sailing as well, and I never noticed a sewer smell at all, including in the Princess theater (we were there for 4-5 shows). Various famiy members on Caribe deck did say that they noticed a slight sewage smell coming from the toilets, but nothing more was noticed by us the entire week.

I was in the princess theater a number of times, 2 shows, comedian show, welcome aboard show, backstage tour, and I had no idea there was a problem. My allergies and/or stuffed up nose I normally have at home were nice and clear for the whole trip, so I think I would have noticed something. The only "smell" I can say I experienced was in the restrooms just outside the Club Fusion. For those of you on the April 10th sailing, did you notice when you got off the lifts at floor 7, you could only turn towards the stairs and not go the other way because the carpet was torn up and big dryers were at work? That was because of a leak in the restroom. It was fixed days later and I couldnt smell anything after that.

Janelle

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Diamond Princess

Thanks for the imput - I sure hope it isn't an issue on my cruise. Wish I knew what the real story was from Princess! Just curious! Mitsubitsi can build cars but can they build a problem free cruise ship?

Crystal Harmony was built by Mitsubishi. If the ship yard is good enough for Crystal.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Mitsubitsi can build cars but can they build a problem free cruise ship? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Cruise News Daily reported on the building of Diamond Princess and apparently the cruise line was very impressed on the level of quality that was put into the ship...far more than what they expected and what they got from Fincantieri. Since sewage is treated on board, it might be that someone isn't doing it properly. I wouldn't lay fault with the ship.

I was on Sun Princess about a month ago - there were a lot of posts about sewage smells before I went, so I was conscious of it and I didn't smell a thing.

-------------------------

Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

Pocka:

When we were on the Diamond - on Friday 4/2 a pipe broke and caused a flood on the 7th deck. The smell started on Saturday and now I see posts from several people who say the smell is still around. The Princess Theater is at the front of the ship and the flood was at the rear of the ship. The flood was pretty bad, and I spoke to several people (crew) who explained to us what happened. I don't know what they are smelling, but I don't think it's anything too serious.

I don't think the shipyard they were comparing to was Fincantieri - I think it was Chantiers 'd Atlantique in France. Princess has a very strong relationship with Fincantieri and they even said during the christening of Caribbean Princess that without F. there wouldn't be a Princess. THe issues with Chantiers was the late delivery of COral and Island Princess and the poor state they were in when delivered.

Cruisin' Chris

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;5;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0000  5/19/04 Grand Princess Baltic Heritage

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

We were on the Caribbean Princess last week and at the aft pool (sometimes) and at the minature golf the sewer smell was awful. Mostly up top at the minature golf.

Caribbean Princess 4-10-04

Royal Caribbean 11-01

Celebrity 6-99

Sun Princess 3-98

We were on the 4/3 cruise and there was a leak from the day we boarded near the dining areas. The area was cordonoed off and they took up the carpeting and had blowers. It was still there when we got off the ship the following week. I noticed others on the 4/10 cruise noted that the area was still off limits. Not sure how long it was like that. I also noticed the sewage smell in different pockets throughout the ship--definitely noticeable in the Princess Theatre but also in stairwells and various places. I actually thought it was that my smeller was off (my husband did not notice anything), but during the week, others mentioned the odor as well--a relief to me since I was beginning to wonder. No response came from Princess regarding the flood or the sewage smell even though I asked (and apparently others) without success. I didn't know if they were related. Can't tell you where or what caused it (or is continuing to cause it). The people in the cabin next to us smelled it in their cabin--we did not. That's all I know, but it's interesting that it is still around

I was also on the 4/3 cruise and never noticed any smell in the theatre or any where else. No one in my group mentioned it either. Noticed the off limits area the last day, back of the ship.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

April 3, 2004 Diamond

I was on the 4/10 cruise and did not smell anything in the theater. I Did smell an ammonia/urine smell on a Lido deck staircase (going up to the jogging track)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I don't think the shipyard they were comparing to was Fincantieri - I think it was Chantiers 'd Atlantique in France. Princess has a very strong relationship with Fincantieri and they even said during the christening of Caribbean Princess that without F. there wouldn't be a Princess. THe issues with Chantiers was the late delivery of COral and Island Princess and the poor state they were in when delivered. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Right - and apparently Mitsubishi delivered a higher quality product than did Fincantieri.

Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

Maybe?

Love that "new car smell" Then you'll love these ships!

from

http://www.7blueseas.com/hotweeklydeals/7BV_NewShips_15DEC03.asp

and had that smell that you get from a new car

from

http://cruisemates.com/articles/memreviews/princess/diamond2.cfm

That's all I found for smell on "Diamond Princess"

USS Chilton APA-38 1966-1968

USS Guam LPH-9 1968-1970

Pacific Princess Oct 21 2001 Bermuda

Golden Princess Dec 7 2002 "Eastern Caribbean"

Coral Princess Dec 9 2003 "Panama Canal"

Carnival Miracle 17 Oct 2004

NOT UPDATED again 25 Feb www.geocities.com/fsbsdel

Just off the 4/17 sailing, no sewer smell in Theatre or the photo gallery, we "looked" for it in fact. There was an odd smell on Lido by the main outdoor pool which the accomodations manager said was carpet that didn't get fully dry but was only bad when the pool was crowded.

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04

Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98

Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02

Vision o.t. Seas 04/02

Star Princess 12/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

Vision o.t. Seas 10/02

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

Re: Mitsubishi being a good enough yard for Crystal...

Crystal is a Japanese owned cruise line. I doubt that any ship purchased new by them would be built except in the land of the rising sun... Given the way the country works, I doubt a major works type project like shipbuilding would be allowed to go offshore.

The Crystal Harmony was built at the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries shipyard in Japan, and the Crystal Symphony was built at the Masa-Yards in Finland.

from

http://www.us.mycity.com/globalcruisecenters/CrystalCruises.html

USS Chilton APA-38 1966-1968

USS Guam LPH-9 1968-1970

Pacific Princess Oct 21 2001 Bermuda

Golden Princess Dec 7 2002 "Eastern Caribbean"

Coral Princess Dec 9 2003 "Panama Canal"

Carnival Miracle 17 Oct 2004

NOT UPDATED again 25 Feb www.geocities.com/fsbsdel

Not to keep pushing a point, but Cruise News Daily - in their Diamond Princess photo story - again indicate the highly detailed work that Mitsubishi did for Princess. Things like hand laid tile and stone work, the fact the passenger cabins were built into the ship rather than being prefabricated...etc.

I was on the 4/10 Diamond cruise. I did notice a sewage type smell mostly outside on the top deck. (near the jogging track and sometimes while you were outside near the front of the ship) I did go to one show in the theatre and didn't notice a smell in there.

Diamond Princess 04/04

Star Princess 03/03

Rhapsody RCCL 11/00

Rhapsody RCCL 10/99

Viking Serenade RCCL 05/96