Live from Summit 9/30

janrj7

Having a great Mexican Riviera cruise on Summit!

We had our Cruisecritic party Saturday at Michael's Club, very well-attended. The Food and Beverage Manager, Didier Vacher, and head Chef even attended, which we really appreciated. We are planning a room tour Wed. for our Roll Call group.

We missed Cabo San Lucas yesterday (Sunday) because of Hurricane Otis, but those things happen! Hey, it's a good excuse to take another cruise down here some day. Captain Karatzas steered us far west to skirt the storm, and then brought us into Mazatlan exactly on time this morning. We really appreciated how he kept us so well-informed, both through annoucements and a TV appearance showing and explaining our altered route.

Today we are in Mazatlan. We just finished riding on the beach with Randi's Happy Horses (terrific!) and are doing a little shopping. There is an internet station here at the cruise shopping area that is a real bargain, hence this update ;) .

So far the highlights of our cruise have been listening to a fabulous guitarist, Paul Strowe, and attending an interesting Cabernet blending seminar by sommelier Ivo. (sp?). Oh, and of course the Martini Tasting with our Cruisecritic buddies was fun too. And the food is fantastic, as always on a Celebrity cruise.

Will post a little review when we return. This is our first time to have an aft cabin (7208) and we are LOVING it ... lots of room for little parties on that balcony! I really appreciate all the advice here on the Cruisecritic boards that have helped make this cruise so great for us.

Regards,

Jan

Sure thing, Adam, glad to! (You know that 7208 is not the accessible cabin, right? That is next door to us, though.)

I'll measure it and post when I get a chance, probably in a few days, if that's okay.

If you're in this cabin on an upcoming cruise, you will love it!

Regards,

Jan

Thanks for your update. We got off the Summit the day you got on. Figured that you would miss Cabo but great that you were in Maz right on time.

Didier is fun and interesting. If you go to Michael's club, tell Betsy the entertainer in that room that Ed and Cathy from the last cruise said "hey!"

Have a great cruise!

Ed and Cathy

Sure thing, Adam, glad to! (You know that 7208 is not the accessible cabin, right? That is next door to us, though.)

I'll measure it and post when I get a chance, probably in a few days, if that's okay.

If you're in this cabin on an upcoming cruise, you will love it!

Regards,

Jan

Jan,

Thanks! No, your's (the non-accessible one) is what I'm interested in. Have a great remainder of your cruise!

Hi, we also got off the summit when you got on.

Didier Vacher is a very interesting person. Ask him about his new project.

He realised a tour of the ships kitchen. This was a great experience for us.

If you meet him once please greet him from the honeymoon couple from Luxembourg.

Have a wonderful cruise, greetings

Norbert

Hi Jan,

Thanks for taking the time to post! Glad to hear that you are having a great time. We will be on the Summit when you return and are getting excited now -- we also have an aft cabin a few down from where you are! We wanted to try Cirque and understand it has been pulled, but the Cabernet tasting and martini bar aound great! Enjoy the rest of your cruise - leave some martinis for us! :)

Hi Jan, another Thank You:) for the posting!

I am on Summit next week too!

Love those Martini and Wine Tastings:D

Glad you are having such a wonderful time!

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the great post. We'll be boading next Monday. :D

We also love the Aft cabins, and look forward to looking at the wake and enjoying a drink on the huge balcony.

The Summit sounds great, and I hope the rest of your cruise is also wonderful.

Mari

to watch our whales from Hawaii in Alaska feeding. Curious on something I am noting from Char's photo of the AFT cabins on M Class. 7th Deck has 3.5 panels as the separator between cabins on the balcony. 8 & ( have 2.5 panels. So is 7 larger??? Do a measurement please, if it is larger than 20 x 10 = 200 sq ft.

I am awaiting word from CDS on what happened. Shocked to hear they were pulled off Summit but not Connie as yet. But they are not popular with the elderly from shows I've attended all over the world. And we know how Carribean cruises draw them as well as Alaska, so maybe they complained no one was there. We don't know the truth but I am asking for everyone.

Also who is Head Chef???

ENJOY!!!

Having a great Mexican Riviera cruise on Summit!

We had our Cruisecritic party Saturday at Michael's Club, very well-attended. The Food and Beverage Manager, Didier Vacher, and head Chef even attended, which we really appreciated. We are planning a room tour Wed. for our Roll Call group.

We missed Cabo San Lucas yesterday (Sunday) because of Hurricane Otis, but those things happen! Hey, it's a good excuse to take another cruise down here some day. Captain Karatzas steered us far west to skirt the storm, and then brought us into Mazatlan exactly on time this morning. We really appreciated how he kept us so well-informed, both through annoucements and a TV appearance showing and explaining our altered route.

Today we are in Mazatlan. We just finished riding on the beach with Randi's Happy Horses (terrific!) and are doing a little shopping. There is an internet station here at the cruise shopping area that is a real bargain, hence this update ;) .

So far the highlights of our cruise have been listening to a fabulous guitarist, Paul Strowe, and attending an interesting Cabernet blending seminar by sommelier Ivo. (sp?). Oh, and of course the Martini Tasting with our Cruisecritic buddies was fun too. And the food is fantastic, as always on a Celebrity cruise.

Will post a little review when we return. This is our first time to have an aft cabin (7208) and we are LOVING it ... lots of room for little parties on that balcony! I really appreciate all the advice here on the Cruisecritic boards that have helped make this cruise so great for us.

Regards,

Jan

Hi everybody! Thanks for your replies!

We came into Acapulco early this morning and will be here until 11 tonight, so lots of time to explore! Had a wonderful sea day yesterday with lots of fun stuff to do: our rollcall room tour, lunch with our Cruisecritic friends, formal tea in the afternoon, Capt Club reception, formal night dinner ... the day went too fast! The day before, we were in Puerto Vallarta, where we went ziplining at Los Veranos (which we discovered here on CC). It was just amazing; I didn't want it to end!! Will definitely do that again some day! Met a fun couple (Bob and Gail) from the Sapphire Princess there, and it turns out they also had found los Veranos thru this site.

Adam, I checked the balcony threshold using our room card, which is the same size as a standard credit card. On both sides, it was 1/4 inch shorter than the length of the card. Hope that helps! Also, it can be locked in place at any position, so no bungee cord needed. The HC room next door has a wooden ramp over their threshold, supplied by the ship.

MACOP, I don't have a tape measure, but if I find one I'll measure the balcony for you. It looks a little bigger than those above it, as they are tiered. It is so great for sailaways! I'm afraid I'll be spoiled now, and always want an aft!! (Thanks Lori for snagging it for me, and for the Normandie!)

Phil, I will definitely post some pics of it for you when we get back. You will love that cabin. Re: the seas, there has been a little rocking and rolling, not that bad; just enough to help us sleep better! Nowhere near as rough as the Connie T/A last fall (which wasn't that bad either, just bigger waves.)

Norbert, we are hoping to get an invitation to tour the kitchens too! (We really enjoyed the backstage tour night before last.) So if we see Didier Vacher again, will ask about his project and pass on your greetings!

Conan, we had hoped to see the Cirque thing too, and even brought white clothes and masks, but oh well! There has been mention of some kind of masked ball later this week, though. The Bar at the Edge is still decorated the way people described it for Cirque. I asked at the backstage tour what was going to happen with Cirque, and they said that it was being re-evaluated or something like that; no definite plans yet.

Ed and Cathy, will pass on your greetings to Betsy! She passed us last night as we waited in line before the Captain's reception, and joked that she'd like to see a line that long outside of Michael's! We are hoping to hear her there tonight.

Mari and Lois, have a terrific cruise! Wish we could just turn around in the terminal and re-board with y'all.

MACOP, I can't recall the head chef's name just now, but will find out for you.

Looks like the rain is letting up a bit, so I'm heading into town!

Regards,

Jan

Hi,

I'm planning to bring my laptop onboard our cruise next week. Is it worth it to buy the Connect@Sea kit? I'm told it costs $100 for 7 days which includes 50 minutes per day. Celebrity couldn't tell me what exactly is in the kit so if anyone has info, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm planning to bring my laptop onboard our cruise next week. Is it worth it to buy the Connect@Sea kit? I'm told it costs $100 for 7 days which includes 50 minutes per day. Celebrity couldn't tell me what exactly is in the kit so if anyone has info, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Connect@Sea is a good bit more than that. You can find all the info here. ($10 per day for the kit + .75/minute.) If you have WIFI, you can avoid the $10 kit charge but access fees are the same. WIFI is best mid-ship, atrium, Library, Michaels, etc. although we were able to connect from our balcony (virtually full aft) but did not stay on because if you involuntarily become disconnected (which is easy with a weak signal) the clock might still be ticking until you log off).

Have a great cruise!

Connect@Sea is a good bit more than that. You can find all the info here. ($10 per day for the kit + .75/minute.) If you have WIFI, you can avoid the $10 kit charge but access fees are the same. WIFI is best mid-ship, atrium, Library, Michaels, etc. although we were able to connect from our balcony (virtually full aft) but did not stay on because if you involuntarily become disconnected (which is easy with a weak signal) the clock might still be ticking until you log off).

Have a great cruise!

So if I have a wireless card, I don't need to get this kit? Our cabin is pretty far forward and I'm leery of those outages you mentioned. Thanks for the quick reply, by the way! The $100/7 day w/50 minutes/day quote was given to me today over the phone by the Celebrity reservations desk. Maybe the $10/day rental doesn't include any minutes.

Hi to those on the Summit -

I'm bringing my 8 year old son on next week's Mexico sailing. Just wondering if you've noticed lots of kids or just a few. We only have Disney cruises to compare to and I know it won't be like that.

Thanks!

HI All

Hi Jan!! (thanks for the red wine!)

I'm in an intertnet cafe in ACAPULCO (10 PESOS AN HOUR!) and can tell you its a great cruise apart from the weather. Acapulco has had a drenching this morning but the cliff divers were not to be missed. Summit looks great, the cruise critic guys are a great bunch and all so good looking!!, the food is better than on Galaxy last year, Normandie was one of the best meals I have had, the cocktails are amazing, our cabin 6131 is beautiful, our waiyer and assistant Colombian, Fernando and Philippine Arnold and the best. So all up I am hating this cruise (not!). I will never sail on Summit again until next time!

I have vowed never to read a posting complaining of the condition of a Celebrity Ship. This one is in great condition and a delight!

Michael :D

PS Very few kids :) and hardly any at school age this cruise.

PS2 I am using onshore cafes and it is hard to beat $1.00 per hour. I have heard compliments for the speed of on board connections this trip when weather conditions have been ok but it is very expensive as stated earler.

PS3 Aunt Debba is lovely!

how did you make arrangement to have a cabin tour we are going to have a nice size group on our April Infinity panama canal cruise. Also if we wanted to have lunch together how do we go about making arrangement for that on a sea day? We have about 30 people of more signed up so far and someone posted that we had enouft for a cc party already.

Archived