Cruise Critic Community
OceanTraveller4ever

Overly-strong US dollar eliminating many cruisers

Thanks for adding your comments Kazu and cruz chic on my post. Cruz chic, just curious what month and itineraries you are looking at and did you see any Princess promotions? I've only compared Alaska and Mexico for May June September and December and Princess was $300-$800 (2 persons) less Mini Suite vs Signature Suite comparison.

I was primarily looking at Mexico. I wasn't doing any comparing between the two lines, just comparing email "deals" to pricing on the website. It's been quite high. I need to watch my money right now so it would have to be a smoking price for me to go.

We have to buy some USD next week for a cruise and it is going to hurt. We have already opted to not book any excursions on Half Moon Cay and instead will make our fun that day. You know, walk on the beach etc. It was more interesting find a cruise at a good price when we did, but at least HAL and others are flexible with their prices. For interest sake I looked at a Disney cruise. Good thing we have universal health care here because the exchange rated price gave me chest pain.

Canadian Cruisers Eh !!!

We have to buy some USD next week for a cruise and it is going to hurt. We have already opted to not book any excursions on Half Moon Cay and instead will make our fun that day. You know, walk on the beach etc. It was more interesting find a cruise at a good price when we did, but at least HAL and others are flexible with their prices. For interest sake I looked at a Disney cruise. Good thing we have universal health care here because the exchange rated price gave me chest pain.

Canadian Cruisers Eh !!!

No, it won't be pleasant, that is for sure, buying USD anytime soon.

I looked up my old files and the most we've paid for USD was $1.54 so I suppose it could be worse, but let's not think about that!

Have a good cruise and enjoy your day at HMC. What you plan there is a good deal!

Last Saturday there were 6 or 7 ships docked in Port Everglades

Last Sunday there were 7

Last Monday there were 3

Including the mega ships. I, of course, have no idea of the occupancy rate of the ships but if you do some capacity addition -- result is a lot of people !!

Perhaps the xchange rate was not a factor due to early bookings, etc.

Happy Boxing Day to our Canadian cruise pals and neighbors

Last Sunday there were 7

Last Monday there were 3

Including the mega ships. I, of course, have no idea of the occupancy rate of the ships but if you do some capacity addition -- result is a lot of people !!

A lot of pax, definitely. I wonder what percentage were Canadians?

Edited by SilvertoGold

Last Sunday there were 7

Last Monday there were 3

Early bookings do make a difference. If they were booked early and booked in Canadian dollars the exchange rate was much better.

Our Westerdam cruise is up around $3,600 (Cdn) from when we booked because of the increase in the interest rate. Big difference for sure.

Last Sunday there were 7

Last Monday there were 3

A lot of ships alter their regular schedules this time of year to optimize Christmas and New Years sailings

Early bookings do make a difference. If they were booked early and booked in Canadian dollars the exchange rate was much better.

Our Westerdam cruise is up around $3,600 (Cdn) from when we booked because of the increase in the interest rate. Big difference for sure.

We booked our cruise in the Med for April a year ahead when the Aussie dollar was higher. Interestingly, the price being advertised had gone up but is now down to almost what we have paid despite the dollar still being low.

I know it is a whole different topic, but I wonder if all the trouble in Europe is having an impact? From what I have heard it is on general tourism. Our local destinations are getting a real boost from the combination of the lower dollar and people being cautious.

We booked our cruise in the Med for April a year ahead when the Aussie dollar was higher. Interestingly, the price being advertised had gone up but is now down to almost what we have paid despite the dollar still being low.

I know it is a whole different topic, but I wonder if all the trouble in Europe is having an impact? From what I have heard it is on general tourism. Our local destinations are getting a real boost from the combination of the lower dollar and people being cautious.

that's a good point and I think it is. When other global currencies are causing worries, it can affect other currencies as well.

There are a lot of things that affect exchange rates and currency valuations. By the way, I believe the forecast is that the only two currencies to improve agains the U.S. $ are the Canadian and Aussie dollar. That is, if you can believe encomists' forecasts.

that's a good point and I think it is. When other global currencies are causing worries, it can affect other currencies as well.

There are a lot of things that affect exchange rates and currency valuations. By the way, I believe the forecast is that the only two currencies to improve agains the U.S. $ are the Canadian and Aussie dollar. That is, if you can believe encomists' forecasts.

I certainly hope that either the forecasts are correct or that we at least see some positive benefits from the weak dollar.

For example, we are considering a visit to the Maritimes in lieu of a cruise, and perhaps others will follow suit.

But I can't resist revisiting George Bernard Shaw's old saw to the effect that, "If you laid all the economists end to end, they'd never reach a conclusion."

Reading the Toronto G&M will confirm that view :).

I certainly hope that either the forecasts are correct or that we at least see some positive benefits from the weak dollar.

For example, we are considering a visit to the Maritimes in lieu of a cruise, and perhaps others will follow suit.

But I can't resist revisiting George Bernard Shaw's old saw to the effect that, "If you laid all the economists end to end, they'd never reach a conclusion."

Reading the Toronto G&M will confirm that view :).

LOL on the economists and GBS was absolutely right :)

Do come to the Maritimes. There are so many wonderful things to see and some scenery that can take your breath away. Maritimers are a pretty friendly bunch too and will do their best to help you have a good time ;)

LOL on the economists and GBS was absolutely right :)

Do come to the Maritimes. There are so many wonderful things to see and some scenery that can take your breath away. Maritimers are a pretty friendly bunch too and will do their best to help you have a good time ;)

Lots of good memories of Mactaquac Park, so it's time to return.

And if we can't afford to meet the wonderful Maritimers on a cruise, then it's time to return to their "lair" on a cheaper expedition.

You might have a point that the combination of poor exchange rate for two countries which provide a number of cruisers as well as the recent terrorism attacks could be impacting bookings. Some people are choosing to not travel because of terrorism fears and when added to poor exchange rate, not a good combination for leisure/discretionary travel bookings.

I also think the unknown is a factor. There likely are a number of people who are willing to travel to Europe etc next spring/summer but they are reluctant to book itineraries that could be changed with or without notice. If they want to travel to Turkey, Greece, Israel, Egypt etc they may be willing to book those itineraries but don't want to risk a lot of money and end up going to entirely different ports.

Edited by sail7seas

We are staying local this year. Cruising Aust/NZ in March. We will probably just buy a FCC and hope that things settle down in Europe.

The last three years we have flown to either US/Canada or to Europe - I just couldn't face more long flights again this year. Our decisions did not have anything to do with Currency rates.

Absolutely agree with the comments about changing itineraries.

Black Sea cruise was high on our to do list of to do cruises.

As luck would happen when we were ready the area experienced political challenges. Cruise lines changed their itineraries to the point that we could not see any point in moving forward with our cruise plans. Fortunately we had not booked a cruise or air.

We are very much predisposed to return to Australia and NZ in the near term. The currency is reasonable for us and the country/people are wonderful. Good beer too (other than VB). Given the choice between there and the US, OZ and NZ would win hands down for us if only for the currency exchange. And as long as we stopped over in Hawaii for a day or so to break up the trip.

Edited by iancal

Absolutely agree with the comments about changing itineraries.

Black Sea cruise was high on our to do list of to do cruises.

As luck would happen when we were ready the area experienced political challenges. Cruise lines changed their itineraries to the point that we could not see any point in moving forward with our cruise plans. Fortunately we had not booked a cruise or air.

We are very much predisposed to return to Australia and NZ in the near term. The currency is reasonable for us and the country/people are wonderful. Good beer too (other than VB). Given the choice between there and the US, OZ and NZ would win hands down for us if only for the currency exchange. And as long as we stopped over in Hawaii for a day or so to break up the trip.

You are aware that Hawaii is part of the US. :eek:

Alas yes. We spent two wonderful days and one night there on our way back this past Easter. Not too bad either, thanks to a great Hotwire win.

Thanks for the link. Good to see this all consolidated.

Some of these prices are down, indeed, but have been for quite a while. With the exchange down to around 30% from over 40%, I guess they should be.

Still, the pricing for the cruises I am looking at are mostly the same old. I can ride this out, however!

We already made alternate plans for our current vacation. We looked at adding a cruise to our SE Asia trip but the prices and the prices adjusted for currency made no sense. So we extended our land trip to eight weeks.

Now planning tentatively planning a Greece trip for the fall and a South Ameican in Jan/FEb. We would like to include a cruise in both. Our dollar is going up a little and Med cruise prices are dropping so we may pick up a last minute deal. Not sure about SA.

One thing for certain is that our trips to Florida, WA/Or/Cal are off the table. No U.S. cross border shopping for us either. We will simply wait until our dollar improves civ a vis the USD. We are still spending the same on travel but other travel options are becoming more competitive partly because of currency.

Edited by iancal

Thanks for the sale notice. Wish the itineraries went into the summer but they end in early June which isn't good for us with 2 in school. But appreciate HAL trying to address the currency issue on early season cruises. Our plans don't involve US travel either.

We already made alternate plans for our current vacation. We looked at adding a cruise to our SE Asia trip but the prices and the prices adjusted for currency made no sense. So we extended our land trip to eight weeks.

Now planning tentatively planning a Greece trip for the fall and a South Ameican in Jan/FEb. We would like to include a cruise in both. Our dollar is going up a little and Med cruise prices are dropping so we may pick up a last minute deal. Not sure about SA.

One thing for certain is that our trips to Florida, WA/Or/Cal are off the table. No U.S. cross border shopping for us either. We will simply wait until our dollar improves civ a vis the USD. We are still spending the same on travel but other travel options are becoming more competitive partly because of currency.

My brother skis in US every year and he still finds it much cheaper than here. Whereas last year we found Maui horrifically expensive compared to comparable locations in North Queensland. So I guess it depends on which experiences you seek. But our dollar has gone up somewhat and we have the usual guessing game of will it continue? When do I buy some credit for our cruise, should I get some cash for the safe for my planned trip to Utah and Montana next year? If only I had a crystal ball!

Currency plays a part in our travel decisions.

A few years ago we delayed a four week to South Africa by one year. Why? Our currency was going up, theirs was going for. We saved 12 percent simply on currency. We avoid the UK when the GBP is strong and visit Europe when the euro is down and when tourism is down.