Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPORTSTER

Jewel Garden Cafe Breakfast

My wife and I have returned from the Canadian trip on the Jewel and we enjoyed it tremendously. One thing I haven't seen on these posts is the fact that you can take your breakfast from the Garden Cafe to MaMa's where we always found a window seat. Sometimes the cafe was very crowded while MaMa's was usually very light.

The most difficult thing we found was getting one of those green relaxing couches in the Spinnaker lounge during the day.

Other than that what a great ship.

My wife and I have returned from the Canadian trip on the Jewel and we enjoyed it tremendously. One thing I haven't seen on these posts is the fact that you can take your breakfast from the Garden Cafe to MaMa's where we always found a window seat. Sometimes the cafe was very crowded while MaMa's was usually very light.

On Majesty we would take our meals from the Cafe Royal down to the Observatory Lounge and sit at one of the window tables they use in the evening for the Pasta Cafe.

Great idea. We were also on the same cruise on Sept 18th. We never thought of taking braeakfast to Mama's italina Kitchen. They were so close and it would really work well.

Great idea. We were also on the same cruise on Sept 18th. We never thought of taking braeakfast to Mama's italina Kitchen. They were so close and it would really work well.

I should have made it clearer in my top 10 list posted when we returned from the Transatlantic. I ate breakfast at Moma's most mornings.

Here are some random things that I found better on the Jewel.

1. Garden Cafe - the station layout really makes the flow better. No more standing in line.

2. The Great Outdoors - back from the Sun - this will be a popular space once the ship gets to Miami.

3. Mama's Kitchen - the toughest reservation on the ship - far better then the dressed up area of the buffet on the Dawn. Great spot for breakfast. Many used it as a game room during the day.

4. The pool area - much more room - Two full sized pools - the water slide was a blast - it is fresh water. With almost no kids onboard the adults got to use it.

5. The massive areas on the Sun Decks - you should have no problem finding a chair to sit in the Sun.

6. In general all the additional seating in all the specialty restaurants makes last minute reservations very easy. Lower cost then the Dawn Bistro $10 Cagney’s $15

7. The balcony in Stardust has much better sight lines. Many complained about the lack of a center or side aisles on the main level. No issue for me.

8. The information systems will be better on the Jewel - the restaurant status boards, the pagers allowing you to wander off until your table is ready, interactive TV is coming to check you bill, book shore excursions and order room service.

9 the restaurant reservations are now all online. A card swipe and a couple of touches on the screen and you are booked.

10. In general the Jewel has better outside space and technology, In my view the Dawn better inside space.

We will be on the Jewel for 11/6. I have enjoyed your posts and look forward to seeing it all in person. One question. We like to find a quiet place to read when we are at sea. Any suggestions?

Louise

We are going on the Jewel and leave Monday. Just wandering if you could comment on the formal nights. How fancy were the nights? Did women wear long, beaded gowns?...men tuxes??

Also, did they offer soda pop cards for the entire cruise? If so, do you know how much they were?

We are very excited to hear all of the good news about the ship.

Thanks so much for you post.

We will be on the Jewel for 11/6. I have enjoyed your posts and look forward to seeing it all in person. One question. We like to find a quiet place to read when we are at sea. Any suggestions?

Louise

Louise,

I hadn't noticed you had been on so many cruises, what do you suggest for our formal night on our 11/6 cruise?:confused: I'm packing for 2 weeks total and trying to make sure I pack correctly for both the Cruise and Dominica. Thoughts on packing in general for a cruise. Also, do we only get one suitecase? or a couple?:eek:

Li'l Red<---------being a first timer I feel I need some good advise and am just not sure what to do!

Thanks!:)

Kim

9 the restaurant reservations are now all online. A card swipe and a couple of touches on the screen and you are booked.

What does this mean that reservations are now all online? Online where? Where do you swipe your card? Is this done in your room or outside of the restaurants?

What does this mean that reservations are now all online? Online where? Where do you swipe your card? Is this done in your room or outside of the restaurants?

As soon as the software is completed you will be able to do it on the TV in your cabin.

Right know the reservation desk and all the restaurants are linked and the reservations are no longer on paper. When you go to the desk in the atrium, request a time and place, they swipe your card and you are booked.

Much faster then the current paper system on the other ships and less chance of "lost" reservations.

Shoreguy,

Bless you! Again you come across with valuable information which will make our cruise that much more enjoyable. Just 14 days to go.

It seems I've been elected to set up our meet and greet. In reading these boards I've saved information about how to go about it. I just wanted to clear it with you before I do it. I have 2 e-mail addresses. Which one do you think would get the better results?

1) Yulexi-Yperez@NCL.com (I'm not sure I copied this one correctly)

2) PassengerCourtesyJewel@NCL.com

Please get back to me as soon as you can. I'd like to e-mail them today. If you have a better 'tried and true' e-mail address for setting up the 'meet and greet' please share it with me. I'm sure others will benefit from this post also.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Happy cruising!

Shoreguy,

Bless you! Again you come across with valuable information which will make our cruise that much more enjoyable. Just 14 days to go.

It seems I've been elected to set up our meet and greet. In reading these boards I've saved information about how to go about it. I just wanted to clear it with you before I do it. I have 2 e-mail addresses. Which one do you think would get the better results?

1) Yulexi-Yperez@NCL.com (I'm not sure I copied this one correctly)

2) PassengerCourtesyJewel@NCL.com

Please get back to me as soon as you can. I'd like to e-mail them today. If you have a better 'tried and true' e-mail address for setting up the 'meet and greet' please share it with me. I'm sure others will benefit from this post also.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Happy cruising!

No need to clear anything with me :D I am just a bunch of words on a message board ;)

Yulexi is resposible for the Dawn I believe. You need to contact Mayra who is the Passenger Courtesy rep for the Jewel. The second address will work or her direct email is Mateiro, Mayra <MMateiro@ncl.com>.

Onboard the Jewel the Group Services Coordinator is Gary Alldredge. He should contact you to confirm the meeting.

A week has gone by and I am getting fuzzy about the cruise we got back from on the 29th, need to keep a log.

We often read in the library and found it very comfortable. At first the chairs seemed awkward but actually they were comfortable, at least for me. Tere is often time in the Spinakker to read and if you can manage it those green couches are great.

One more thing if you are an early eater all the specialty restaraunts are 50% off.

Just found your post here. Sounds like formal on this cruise can go either way. Very dressy or cocktail dressy. I know my sister Huwub (Deby) who is going with us is planning to really dress up. Very sparkly dress. I find a long black skirt and dressy top works. I also have a pair of black evening pants that I can dress up. Just a fancy top will work. Some people will dress to the nine's.

As for packing, we take 2 bags and a large carry on. We have all bags with wheels. Easier to handle. One of them is a folding garment bag that holds lots. On our last cruise, I checked the carryon when we embarked and only carried a small backpack aboard. Remember, it may take a while for you luggage to arrive at your cabin. I pack medicine in my backpack. When we disembarked, I used the carryon at that time. You have to put out your luggage the night before in the hall so they can have it taken off early. You will need a bag to put in your night clothes, cosmetic bag, meds if any and anything you have bought that is fragile. You will have to carry this off with you in the morning.

I found that I also take a night light. Sometimes the cabins are very dark. I also took a mesh laundry bag for dirty clothes. This is handy during the cruise as all are in the same place. We just dumped this in the small suitcase when we packed to leave.

As for what to bring, you will need long pants for the evening - both of you. They son't want shorts or tees in the dining rooms. I usually save my nicer tops to wear in the evening around the ship. Casual is the word. Don't worry about it.

Any other questions, just ask. Hope this helpes.

Louise:D

Formal Night:

This last curise on the Pacific Coastal (9/25/05) was the only cruise that we opted NOT to go formal. We enjoyed it, but dressed nicely for dinner so's not to look terribly out of place.

In the past, I've taken very formal attire, but have since toned down to black palazzo pants and a sparkly top. Black, royal blue, red, or gold all work well. I even took a plain black shell and dressed it up with a fancy sparkly shawl (red or gold). I always always wear black flats, as I've been at sea during a storm on formal night - it ain't fun in heels!

I'm booked on the Jewel (Istanbul to Barcelona) a year from tomorrow (my that's a long wait), and I plan to do the black palazzos, a plain black top and a black beaded long sleeve jacket with black sequins. The jewelery for formal night will be lots of glittery rhinestones. (I leave all my jewelry at home in the safe when I travel. Over the years though, I've purchased faux jewelry and I have a lot of fun with it while traveling.)

My husband used to wear Tuxedos, but now just takes a black suit. Our photos look fine.

Packing:

I used to be the world's biggest over-packer! I've learned. I shop at travelsmith.com, or magellans.com and I buy lots of mix and match travel wear. I buy ExOfficio clothing as well and love it. ExOfficio clothes typically dry in an hour. I do rinse clothes every evening on long trips (anything over 8 days), but I don't mind. NCL makes it very convenient with the line cord in the shower. I have used the laundry facilities on the Dawn, but only to iron clothes after unpacking. (There's NOBODY in the laundry facilities on embarkation day!)

When we go to Istanbul, we will each take our 22" Travelpro suiters, and 2 rolling totes, and I'm seriously considering buying one 24" or 26" Travelpro suiter just for the heck of it. We plan to wear jeans and tees from Istanbul to Bacelona.

No matter what you pack, what you decide to do, just have fun! :D

One more thing if you are an early eater all the specialty restaraunts are 50% off.

Is that 50% off for the entire cruise? Ours is 11 days. I'm assuming this is between 5:30 and 6:30.

Louise made a suggestion about a night light because of the dark cabin. Just wanted to share what I found works for me. On most all the NCL (and Celebrity) ships, there is about a 1 inch opening at bottom of bathroom door (for vetilation).

If you leave the bathroom light on when you go to bed and close the door, it acts as a great night light! I have done this on most of my trips....helps when getting up at 3am and not knowing my way around a dark cabin. Also, the light isn't so bright that it disturbs sleepers in the room...just bright enough to light the floor area particularly around the bathroom! :)

Just a suggestion I am passing along.

Thank you to all of you! I so appreciate the comments and suggestions I find on these boards. I like the black pants w/ a nice tip idea and had not thought about flats due to rough seas or slippery decks.

See you soon Louise!

Kim