Cruise Critic Community
johnjen

Anthem Negative Reviews - A Letter to Royal Caribbean

I've been reading some of the negative Anthem reviews. We're booked on Anthem June 16th and I've written a letter voicing concerns. Letters showing concern, MAILED, not emailed, are far more effective than regular email because someone must open the letter. You want RCL corporate to read these and take a serious look at current problems and correct them.

Royal Caribbean

Customer Service Department Head

1050 Caribbean Way, Miami, FL 33132

To Whom it May Concern:

I've been reading a lot of reviews on Anthem on the forum located at cruisecritic.com, and I believe attention from you needs to be addressed at one of your 10 o'clock meetings.

Lots of reviews revealing that Anthem is short staffed. I have read reviews where customers were querying wait staff why things were taking so long in getting food to tables, who were telling them that they simply need more people working on the ship to help accommodate even basic needs and that your existing staff are unable to meet the basic needs of your customers. This would also include the room attendants. Cause: Understaffing. Effect: Less satisfaction from your customers and more bad reviews.

I've also been reading a lot of negative reviews on Chops Grille. The majority of complaints discuss the quality of meals - cold plates arriving at tables and I see a lot of complaints about steaks not being cooked to requests and overall, people are telling us that a visit to Chops Grille simply isn't worth it. Cause and Effect: Because of these negative reviews, we do not plan on booking Chops Grille until we begin seeing positive reviews - or, a replying letter showing me that you plan on looking into this and fixing the problems there.

Please review these situations with management at a meeting and I'd recommend these points be investigated. We sail on June 16th on Anthem, and hope that these area problems have been addressed by then and that we have a pleasant cruise and get what we are paying for.

One of my more displeasing events in life is not getting what I paid for due to understaffing. You, being the department head of a large company - you're a consumer as well. Please relate to this and take appropriate action in correcting the situation. I am not only speaking for myself, but for future cruisers on Anthem. Like myself, we look forward to hearing what you have to say about these problems and what you intend on doing to correct them.

Sincerely,

/s/

my name, address, phone number

I will post RCL's response - that is, if they do.

I've been reading some of the negative Anthem reviews. We're booked on Anthem June 16th and I've written a letter voicing concerns. Letters showing concern, MAILED, not emailed, are far more effective than regular email because someone must open the letter. You want RCL corporate to read these and take a serious look at current problems and correct them.

Royal Caribbean

To Whom it May Concern:

I've been reading a lot of reviews on Anthem on the forum located at cruisecritic.com, and I believe attention from you needs to be addressed at one of your 10 o'clock meetings.

Lots of reviews revealing that Anthem is short staffed. I have read reviews where customers were querying wait staff why things were taking so long in getting food to tables, who were telling them that they simply need more people working on the ship to help accommodate even basic needs and that your existing staff are unable to meet the basic needs of your customers. This would also include the room attendants. Cause: Understaffing. Effect: Less satisfaction from your customers and more bad reviews.

I've also been reading a lot of negative reviews on Chops Grille. The majority of complaints discuss the quality of meals - cold plates arriving at tables and I see a lot of complaints about steaks not being cooked to requests and overall, people are telling us that a visit to Chops Grille simply isn't worth it. Cause and Effect: Because of these negative reviews, we do not plan on booking Chops Grille until we begin seeing positive reviews - or, a replying letter showing me that you plan on looking into this and fixing the problems there.

Please review these situations with management at a meeting and I'd recommend these points be investigated. We sail on June 16th on Anthem, and hope that these area problems have been addressed by then and that we have a pleasant cruise and get what we are paying for.

One of my more displeasing events in life is not getting what I paid for due to understaffing. You, being the department head of a large company - you're a consumer as well. Please relate to this and take appropriate action in correcting the situation. I am not only speaking for myself, but for future cruisers on Anthem. Like myself, we look forward to hearing what you have to say about these problems and what you intend on doing to correct them.

Sincerely,

/s/

Considering that there are thousands of passengers per cruise, it always amazes me how the negativity of such a small % (even if 100% rightfully critical) creates a 'broad brush about the whole ship.

Our recent sailings on Breakaway, Getaway, Quantum, and upcoming Anthem and Harmony, all new ships, seem to get the most experienced cruisers who very high expectations and it takes just a little 'misdirects to get all riled up.

The ratings on the ships, when we booked, were not good. Reading the reviews, some were downright silly. There isn't an eatery in the USA that does every plate correct every night. Same for a cruise ship, especially considering the demographics of the cruise ship staff. On the cruises we noticed some really petty behavior by passengers; once a lady screamed at breakfast because her whipped butter wasn't soft enough to spread. Seriously, she didn't mind the potential of creating a negative breakfast experience for everyone in the dining room over her butter. Especially traveling out of NY or NJ, the treatment "of the cruise ship staff" is noticeably very intimidating to the staff. It didn't bother us as we are used to traveling with urban area demographics (and enjoy them); but it can be brutal to the crew.

Generally, unhappiness can manifest and snowball. Our experience is, if something isn't right, we tell them and they try to 'make it right. It might take longer, it might not be perfect, but we're on a cruise ship (for example, Italian dining isn't expected to equal 'little Italy or the 'North End, the lobster will never be the same as if one is on the coast of Maine, and a Filet simply won't be like the aged ones at Shula's, Ruths or the Palm).

So, my recommendation would be to 'make the best of it, expect some missteps but point them out right off and don't let it ruin your overall experience. Not to use a broad brush, if you really are getting repeated quality issues, take it up to another level with 'managers at the venues versus the staff.

These are BEAUTIFUL SHIPS. They are UNBELIEVABLE in amenities, activities, escape, weather, entertainment and 'hopefully dining. Wish you the best.

Considering that there are thousands of passengers per cruise, it always amazes me how the negativity of such a small % (even if 100% rightfully critical) creates a 'broad brush about the whole ship.

Our recent sailings on Breakaway, Getaway, Quantum, and upcoming Anthem and Harmony, all new ships, seem to get the most experienced cruisers who very high expectations and it takes just a little 'misdirects to get all riled up.

The ratings on the ships, when we booked, were not good. Reading the reviews, some were downright silly. There isn't an eatery in the USA that does every plate correct every night. Same for a cruise ship, especially considering the demographics of the cruise ship staff. On the cruises we noticed some really petty behavior by passengers; once a lady screamed at breakfast because her whipped butter wasn't soft enough to spread. Seriously, she didn't mind the potential of creating a negative breakfast experience for everyone in the dining room over her butter. Especially traveling out of NY or NJ, the treatment "of the cruise ship staff" is noticeably very intimidating to the staff. It didn't bother us as we are used to traveling with urban area demographics (and enjoy them); but it can be brutal to the crew.

Generally, unhappiness can manifest and snowball. Our experience is, if something isn't right, we tell them and they try to 'make it right. It might take longer, it might not be perfect, but we're on a cruise ship (for example, Italian dining isn't expected to equal 'little Italy or the 'North End, the lobster will never be the same as if one is on the coast of Maine, and a Filet simply won't be like the aged ones at Shula's, Ruths or the Palm).

So, my recommendation would be to 'make the best of it, expect some missteps but point them out right off and don't let it ruin your overall experience. Not to use a broad brush, if you really are getting repeated quality issues, take it up to another level with 'managers at the venues versus the staff.

These are BEAUTIFUL SHIPS. They are UNBELIEVABLE in amenities, activities, escape, weather, entertainment and 'hopefully dining. Wish you the best.

Agree that people like to complain, but I also think that feedback, both good and bad deserve to be heard.

I also think that each person's experience will be different and they are all valid.

Their thoughts and opinions are no less important or valid than yours.

For people to shoot down others because they voice their opinion or perspective is disrespectful and puts you in a bad light.

Good for this poster for sending their comments to the attention of Royal Caribbean.

I would encourage that people send positive and negative feedback, as they see fit.

I'm sure that the crew are working extremely hard and probably only hear things when they don't go well.

I'm sure they would appreciate hearing about the good things as well.

On the flip side, unfortunately, there are always bad eggs, and maybe it's because they had a bad day or are stressed or maybe their over-worked, or genuinely are not customer service oriented.

It's important that people who can do something learn about those people as well.

I certainly am interested in hearing what (if anything) comes of your letter.

Fingers crossed!

Here's my take (and I'm currently sitting in the Royal Theatre on Anthem waiting for a show to begin). I think that a letter from someone who has actually experienced these problems rather than reading about them is going to be much more effective. They can easily brush off your comments as being from a small minority of guests. And I disagree that a written letter would make more of an impact given that you can email it directly to the CEO (who your letter should have been addressed to). They can just as easily ignore your printed letter, especially when you addressed it to the equivalent of "To whom it may concern".

For the record, I have not had any service problems in the dining rooms or with my cabin steward. Things are not perfect (especially in terms of food) but they're not as bad as I was led to believe.

Edited by MisterBill99

For people to shoot down others because they voice their opinion or perspective is disrespectful and puts you in a bad light.

Sorry, but that's your insertion. I did not "shoot down" the post; you did in my stead. Geeze, isn't that "shooting down" my post? Per you, that would be my opinion or perspective is being disrespected? Oh. A bad light?

RELAX.

OR, write all the letters complaining about everything all the time ad infinitum ad nauseam if you want. Doesn't matter to me. Life is too short, time is too precious. I simply pointed out that 'everything (on a cruise ship) will not be perfect, never is and never will be. It is not on land either. My recommendation, make the best of it and enjoy. It is what it is.

ENJOY.

Royal Caribbean

To Whom it May Concern:

Sincerely,

/s/

Try actually getting on the ship first before you make assumptions based on CC reviews........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Maybe then just maybe your letter would warrant a response!:eek:

If I were to receive this letter, I wouldn't take it seriously. It's much more effective to complaint based on your personal experience rather than hearsay. I also wouldn't read it beyond the first paragraph because of all the grammatical errors.

If I were to receive this letter, I wouldn't take it seriously. It's much more effective to complaint based on your personal experience rather than hearsay. I also wouldn't read it beyond the first paragraph because of all the grammatical errors.

Totally agree!

I see no downside to writing a letter.

In 2002 our first cruise was on Radiance and we loved it. Our at-the-time teenage children talked us into going for our Christmas family vacation. I thought it was going to be horrible. We loved it and booked Adventure the following year for Christmas. We had a number of issues on that cruise. I wrote a letter to whomever was CEO at the time (can't remember who). I got a response along with a sizable credit to be applied to our next cruise.

As a result, we continued to cruise with RCCL and have enjoyed each one (although none of them could ever be as good as the first ;). Point is that management cares, and a letter is probably a good way to get attention.

Separately, as a New Yorker, I don't think we have a monopoly on rude behavior to staff.

First a "complaint" letter from someone who has never been on the ship will carry zero weight. Second, not sure why you think snail mail is better than email. DH emailed a letter directly to Richard Fain and Michael Bayley and subsequently (within 48 hours) got a call from one of Michael Bayley's assistants. Our email was about our actual cruise and issues we had onboard. More than anything it was to inform them of where they missed the mark on a couple of things with us and others. It was a well balanced email and was very well received. My point is they were glad to hear from someone who had actually been on a cruise and had experiences to discuss.

Edited by BND

I see no downside to writing a letter.

In 2002 our first cruise was on Radiance and we loved it. Our at-the-time teenage children talked us into going for our Christmas family vacation. I thought it was going to be horrible. We loved it and booked Adventure the following year for Christmas. We had a number of issues on that cruise. I wrote a letter to whomever was CEO at the time (can't remember who). I got a response along with a sizable credit to be applied to our next cruise.

As a result, we continued to cruise with RCCL and have enjoyed each one (although none of them could ever be as good as the first ;). Point is that management cares, and a letter is probably a good way to get attention.

Separately, as a New Yorker, I don't think we have a monopoly on rude behavior to staff.

Yes, but you wrote your letter AFTER you had been on the ship, not before.

a few observations:

- there may/may not be a difference in effectiveness between the medium by which the letter was sent.

I personally believe a physical letter is more effective because (a) it's portable and does require an Internet connection to view, (b) there's no risk that it goes to spam or is accidentally deleted and © the things that stand out are things that are not common. It takes a lot more effort to hand write something, get an envelope, stamp and mail it. Those things make a difference and at least initially get more attention.

- The takeaway, if I were the person getting this letter, is about making this person's (and every other passenger's) experience the best that it can be. That means paying attention to the comments and reviews that are alluded to in this letter so that I understand and can conduct my own investigation and validation in order to make sure that any issues are addressed going forward.

Royal Caribbean

To Whom it May Concern:

Sincerely,

/s/

Wow a letter of complaint about a ship you haven't yet sailed on! Im sure RC pay more attention to their own post cruise surveys than a very small percentage of cruisers who use cruise critic as the sample size is too small.

Im new to cruising, having only been on Enchantment. Some of the reviews of Enchantment before we cruised had it painted as a tatty old ship with major issues. For us, it was a great cruise. Holidays / vacations are what you make of them..getting yourself worked up before you go would, I think, make it very hard to enjoy yourself and relax!

Hope the cruise is great and the shortcomings you think are there don't come to pass. :)

Edited by FirstCruise2331

I'm certain our cruise will be fantastic! Thanks everyone for your feedback, but I didn't want this to turn into a flaming argument. But, this is expected from some of you here, sadly. Smooth sailing, I merely wanted to attempt that some changes be made in a positive manner for those of us who are going on this ship.

Ok first it is Cruise Critic so complaints are to be expected. Second I am not sure a future customer gets no attention - they are, unlike people that have already cruised in a position to talk with their money. Once you cruised Royal has your money. Will the letter make a difference - have no idea but it might just get someone's attention. :cool:

I think the only really valuable advice is to understand that negatives always overshadow positives. And it is your expectations that has the greatest effect on if you enjoy or do not enjoy your vacation - be positive. Last do be kind, but do point out issues when they happen - but be kind - like my mom always said you catch more flies with honey then you do vinegar. Ask for help, do not demand service!:)

Have a great cruise - I intend to this Feb 6th. Look out Anthem here I come. :D

Update - I've decided not to send off such a letter; thanks for all of your responses. My only main concern was (hoping) that RCL might look into some of the feedback on the complaints about shortcomings on staff (due to a shortage of staff) and (maybe) correct some of them - or at least, look into it.

Thanks so much again for the feedback on all of this.

And, most of all, thanks to admin for their assistance on this thread as well.

Edited by johnjen

Royal Caribbean

To Whom it May Concern:

Sincerely,

/s/

Well, I also had concerns for upcoming cruise on Anthem in April and I emailed Michael Bayley. I got a phone call back from one of his boys...

He was surprised to hear that there are negative reviews on CC ( I suggested for him to take look) and he said that majority of responses are VERY positive and every one like the ship. I tried to explain that it is not a ship is in question, but quality of food and luck of service. He "sounded" surprised. But I got a feeling that they are aware that there are issues, but since people still booking, there is nothing will be done. I did say to him that I have 3 Anthem cruises booked, but that will depends on how my April cruise will go....It was nice PR phone call.

Am currently on board Anthem and will write review later on. Dynamic Dining Choice has worked well and food has been good - some couple items which we didn't like but otherwise food has been surprisingly good. We have had couple hick ups concerning our accounts but those have been corrected right away after mentioning (have had same issues also in previous cruises - so Anthem isn't exception).

Ship is clean and cabin is really nice - we have regular balcony cabin.

Personnel is helpful and serves with a smile, haven't seen grumpy faces or bad service.

RoyalIQ app works well - Escape room had a hick up and couldn't be booked using the app, but otherwise app has worked as expected. Also the internet works well.

We still have 3 sea days left on our cruise and so far we have gotten what we expected and also exceeded the expectations - so we are happy customers. We will be back to Quantum class in 2018 when Ovation starts cruising from Australia.

There are of course few cons also - ships photographers are quite aggressive compared to Celebrity. And endless amount VIP shopping coupons for "deals" are also quite annoying - and their bogus sales on the ship. But we aren't into ships photos or diamond shopping - so maybe someone else likes those things. This ship has surely something for every one.

Well, I also had concerns for upcoming cruise on Anthem in April and I emailed Michael Bayley. I got a phone call back from one of his boys...

He was surprised to hear that there are negative reviews on CC ( I suggested for him to take look) and he said that majority of responses are VERY positive and every one like the ship. I tried to explain that it is not a ship is in question, but quality of food and luck of service. He "sounded" surprised. But I got a feeling that they are aware that there are issues, but since people still booking, there is nothing will be done. I did say to him that I have 3 Anthem cruises booked, but that will depends on how my April cruise will go....It was nice PR phone call.

Nice work, Isabella. It's good to be proactive, especially if we see potential upcoming issues that some may just brush off - and hope for the best.

I'm just not like that. If I see potential problems ahead I usually try addressing it earlier on. Just letting them know there's been things said on here should have alerted them.

There are of course few cons also - ships photographers are quite aggressive compared to Celebrity. And endless amount VIP shopping coupons for "deals" are also quite annoying - and their bogus sales on the ship.

Yes, the sales are bogus but I continue to be amazed by the throngs of people who show up to buy large quantities of the "stuff" (a nicer word than I'd normally use for it). We were looking at the "clearance" Anthem t-shirts out on the sale tables and they were $18 and up. We found a couple of nicer ones for $15 each in the normal shop. Had hoped to find them for $10 - maybe we should have held out. And the lines at the shopping guide's desk was as long as the checkout line for the aforementioned "sale".

As for the photographers, they don't seem any worse than normal and they take "no" for an answer and leave you alone.

Am currently on board Anthem and will write review later on. Dynamic Dining Choice has worked well and food has been good - some couple items which we didn't like but otherwise food has been surprisingly good. We have had couple hick ups concerning our accounts but those have been corrected right away after mentioning (have had same issues also in previous cruises - so Anthem isn't exception).

Ship is clean and cabin is really nice - we have regular balcony cabin.

Personnel is helpful and serves with a smile, haven't seen grumpy faces or bad service.

RoyalIQ app works well - Escape room had a hick up and couldn't be booked using the app, but otherwise app has worked as expected. Also the internet works well.

We still have 3 sea days left on our cruise and so far we have gotten what we expected and also exceeded the expectations - so we are happy customers. We will be back to Quantum class in 2018 when Ovation starts cruising from Australia.

There are of course few cons also - ships photographers are quite aggressive compared to Celebrity. And endless amount VIP shopping coupons for "deals" are also quite annoying - and their bogus sales on the ship. But we aren't into ships photos or diamond shopping - so maybe someone else likes those things. This ship has surely something for every one.

This cruise for us is the first in quite a few years. Traditionally, at the end of the cruises, there was always the last night sales, where merchandise prices were slashed. I wonder if this is still in practice?

As for the pushiness from photographers - I've found it best to just be courteous, eye to eye and tell them "not now, but thanks" usually does the trick.

They know there are issues on Anthem. I was on the 12/12 sailing and there were a bunch of RCI people that came on when we docked back in Bayonne (they had badges). We were asked our opinion on the food while having breakfast in the windjammer. I really hope they did improve the food. The ship has such potential, but the food was pretty bad. Leaving from NY, we can get amazing food almost anywhere here, why would I want less on vacation?

They know there are issues on Anthem. I was on the 12/12 sailing and there were a bunch of RCI people that came on when we docked back in Bayonne (they had badges). We were asked our opinion on the food while having breakfast in the windjammer. I really hope they did improve the food. The ship has such potential, but the food was pretty bad. Leaving from NY, we can get amazing food almost anywhere here, why would I want less on vacation?

Encouraging news!

Was this more of a post-cruise interview or just a 1 question inquiry?

Was there more of a conversation about the overall cruise experience?

Did you get the feeling that they were asking others about things like entertainment and other offerings?

Off the Anthem this morning. I guess after reading many of the negatives before the cruise, we did not have high expectations. Thus, in many categories including dining room service, our expectations were greatly exceeded. Hats off to the high morale and professionalism of service throughout the ship. One disappointment: until the last day or two, the captain and senior officers were not visible, at least to us. In fact, there was no list anywhere providing the names and backgrounds of any of the senior officers. On Celebrity, you get these bios included in the first daily. There were no introductions of senior officers at the first few shows and only the Cruise Director showed up for a few minutes at the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle.

I think that Royal Caribbean should be mostly concerned about the aggregate opinion of Anthem and Quantum. If you go to the section of Cruise Critic where you can see the ships of a given line and their ratings "XX% Loved It", you will see that among Celebrity, Norwegian, Carnival, Holland, and Royal Caribbean, only two ships are rated below 50%: Anthem and Quantum. Sure there are some negative folks, but there don't seem to be enough positive folks to balance them out for these two ships.

But, hey, I'm open minded. I plan to go on Anthem in March, and I plan to have a good time. Always enjoyed RCI.