Travel to POM

vacatlover

My cruise is leaving POM on a Saturday at 4 p.m. I'm flying from the D.C. area and am somewhat of a newbie, having only cruised the Baltic Sea before. Do I need to get there the evening before and stay in a hotel, or is it safe to fly the morning of the cruise? This will be in late Feb so there's a chance of weather issues in DC or elsewhere. Thanks.

The smart cruiser always arrives at least one day early to avoid flight delays and cancellations causing you to miss your ship! :eek:

Hotels in south FLA will be expensive because Feb is peak tourist season. Besides MIA I would also look at flying into FLL (usually cheaper due to Southwest effect) -- 1000's do this every week. Lots of shuttle services (SAS, QLS, Go Airport, etc.) will transport you from your FLL hotel to POM for about $15 per person. The drive takes about 45 + minutes.

http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist & hotel info. Search this board for Miami hotel suggestions.

The safest way to travel by air in the winter is to fly into your port area the night before. If you must fly the morning of your cruise only book direct flights and as early as possible. Eliminating all potential delays is a must flying the same day.