Amber Cove Cabana Review (& more!)

Fufunia

Hi all! I recently got back from a cruise on the Carnival Breeze with a stop at Amber Cove, Dominican Republic. This is a new port, so not much info was available while I was planning so I decided that I would post when I returned to help fill in some blanks for people.

Amber Cove was beautiful. It was similar to Grand Turk, or Half Moon in that there is a shopping area close to port that is brand new. We didn't do much shopping though, so I can't comment too much about that.

Going into the main part of Amber Cove, you pass by the Oceanside Cabanas. These four cabanas face the ocean, with beautiful long range mountain views, and have a private swimming area (ocean). The cabanas each have their own pier and ladder to go down into the water, no shoreline that I saw. The swimming area is roped off.

I noticed the Hillside Cabanas while walking towards my poolside cabana. They were higher up than the poolside ones, and looked empty. It also looked like it would be a trek to get up to those.

Now, for the Poolside Cabanas at Amber Cove. We were so happy we booked one. It was a bit pricey at $249, but we felt it was worth it. For the price, you got unlimited zip-lining for those in the cabana (I think the limit is 6), a/c, tv, a few sodas and waters in the fridge, a bag of chips and Tostitos Salsa con Queso, a basket of fruit, internet access codes, and pool noodles and floats (those mat things).

The cabanas are located somewhat above the pool area, as you have to climb about 20 or so stairs to get to the cabana. There are only 4 of these cabanas. 2 cabanas share a set of stairs. There is a shower located at the top of the stairs that you would share with the occupants of the other cabana. I loved that the cabana had stairs. We didn't have to worry about other cruisers getting too close to the cabanas for shade or because the area was crowded. Even though we were right where all the action was happening, we still felt like we had a very private space. I would recommend booking the 2 closest to the bathroom. They aren't that close, so don't worry about the foot traffic!! BUT, they offer a spectacular view of the mountains and the sea beyond Amber Cove. The 2 furthest from the bathrooms had the view somewhat obscured by the roof of the pool bar.

The cabana was well appointed with the seating available. There were also 2 loungers on the deck of the cabana, and a hammock under the deck that is reserved for you as well. There are misters on the deck that provide some lovely cooling in that Dominican sun. They are also relatively close to the bathrooms which was a plus!

Overall, Amber Cove offered a large pool area, some in water loungers, swim up bar (great entertainment from the staff), a kids area with slides and such, and tons of loungers available around the pool. The pool is chlorinated.

We had a great time. The only hiccup was the internet was spotty and we could only get a good signal on the edge of the deck. But, the General Manager came around to talk to us about our cabana, and we did let him know about the internet issue. He seemed like he was trying to fix it right then and there! So hopefully it will be resolved for future cruisers!

The link is to my Google drive with photos of the cabana. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7CHoq6CYCgZVzI5ZVEtX0JXZVU/view?usp=sharing

Hope this helps!!

Thanks so very much for your time for this review!

Many of us have been anxiously waiting to hear a report from someone who has actually had a port stop there! :)

LuLu

You are very welcome! I know that I was scouring the forums for any info on the port and especially the cabanas. Glad to help others!

Thanks! I know at HMC people have said they were able to bring a 5th person without paying extra. Would this have been possible at Amber Cove? How did you find the waiter service?

The waitstaff waited in between the cabanas until they were needed usually. They had a decent drink menu and food menu. The prices were reasonable. I think the buckets of beer were $20? (5 beers in a bucket) We ordered some food off the menu and were happy with taste and portion size. The bucket beers were a local brand and very good as well. Our waitress was prompt and so very nice!

When you check in for the cabana, they give you wristbands. One person in our group was still on the ship, so we had her wristband in a purse. When she finally made it to the cabana, we never gave her the wristband because we simply forgot. No one questioned it. :) We also had 4 adults and 1 child.

Hope that helped!

Thank you so much for your review! I check daily between here and FB for reviews and this is the first one I've found with pictures! I have a few questions as well. You recommended the cabanas closest to bathrooms so if you're facing the pool those would be the ones starting to the left right? Another poster had said they felt those would be worse than the first two because the zipline is straight overhead and lots of screaming. Did you find that bothersome? Also, did anyone from Carnival or the waitstaff ever come up to check how many were in your cabana? We have 4A and 2C in our party but only paid the $249 for 4 because I imagine the kids will be on zipline and in the pool and will rarely be in the cabana. Just wondering how strict they will be about checking! Also, are any of the lounges in front of the cabana (poolside) reserved just for cabana renters or are they open for anyone to use? Thanks again!

The waitstaff waited in between the cabanas until they were needed usually. They had a decent drink menu and food menu. The prices were reasonable. I think the buckets of beer were $20? (5 beers in a bucket) We ordered some food off the menu and were happy with taste and portion size. The bucket beers were a local brand and very good as well. Our waitress was prompt and so very nice!

When you check in for the cabana, they give you wristbands. One person in our group was still on the ship, so we had her wristband in a purse. When she finally made it to the cabana, we never gave her the wristband because we simply forgot. No one questioned it. :) We also had 4 adults and 1 child.

Hope that helped!

Did you pay additional for the fifth person? When I booked mine (a couple of months ago) it said cabanas hold six people but price was based on four and there was an extra charge for more than four. I noticed recently that the cabana description doesn't say that now.

Thank you so much for your review! I check daily between here and FB for reviews and this is the first one I've found with pictures! I have a few questions as well. You recommended the cabanas closest to bathrooms so if you're facing the pool those would be the ones starting to the left right? Another poster had said they felt those would be worse than the first two because the zipline is straight overhead and lots of screaming. Did you find that bothersome? Also, did anyone from Carnival or the waitstaff ever come up to check how many were in your cabana? We have 4A and 2C in our party but only paid the $249 for 4 because I imagine the kids will be on zipline and in the pool and will rarely be in the cabana. Just wondering how strict they will be about checking! Also, are any of the lounges in front of the cabana (poolside) reserved just for cabana renters or are they open for anyone to use? Thanks again!

Yes, I would recommend those cabanas because of the view. And, yes, facing the pool, they are the leftmost cabanas. If you see from my pics, even my view was a bit obstructed from the roof, but nothing like it would have been if we were in the first 2 cabanas (furthest from bathroom). They are beneath the zip line, but I found that between the music, kids, and everything else going on, I rarely heard anyone on the zip line itself. I heard more of just a whoosh sound when they went down (that wasn't loud or bothersome at all). Most people didn't scream, just laughing.

No one actually checked the people in the cabana, and no one mentioned that we had 5 (4 allowed without paying extra). You do get the wrist bands in the beginning, but I would assume that no one would bat an eye for the children especially. Mine didn't wear a wristband. We also forgot to give the 4th adult hers, and no one said anything about her either.

You have 2 loungers on your deck and a reserved LARGE hammock below the deck that are yours. Unfortunately, none of the loungers right on the pool are reserved. I will mention here that the cabanas are VERY close to the pool (not like at Grand Turk where they seemed a bit further removed).

We really loved these cabanas, but I remember being VERY nervous renting bc there was so little info! So, I hope that I helped others!

Did you pay additional for the fifth person? When I booked mine (a couple of months ago) it said cabanas hold six people but price was based on four and there was an extra charge for more than four. I noticed recently that the cabana description doesn't say that now.

No, we didn't pay for the 5th person. Which, I guess would have been my child.

I think they changed the info recently because the GM was acting on some feedback he was got from people. I actually spoke to the GM of Amber Cove and told him that he needed to put more info out there because people weren't booking bc no one knew exactly what they were buying!! He came up to our cabana himself to ask us about our opinions and seemed genuinely interested and ready to take action. Lo and behold, info is now much more detailed on the Carnival site! :cool:

Yes, I would recommend those cabanas because of the view. And, yes, facing the pool, they are the leftmost cabanas. If you see from my pics, even my view was a bit obstructed from the roof, but nothing like it would have been if we were in the first 2 cabanas (furthest from bathroom). They are beneath the zip line, but I found that between the music, kids, and everything else going on, I rarely heard anyone on the zip line itself. I heard more of just a whoosh sound when they went down (that wasn't loud or bothersome at all). Most people didn't scream, just laughing.

No one actually checked the people in the cabana, and no one mentioned that we had 5 (4 allowed without paying extra). You do get the wrist bands in the beginning, but I would assume that no one would bat an eye for the children especially. Mine didn't wear a wristband. We also forgot to give the 4th adult hers, and no one said anything about her either.

You have 2 loungers on your deck and a reserved LARGE hammock below the deck that are yours. Unfortunately, none of the loungers right on the pool are reserved. I will mention here that the cabanas are VERY close to the pool (not like at Grand Turk where they seemed a bit further removed).

We really loved these cabanas, but I remember being VERY nervous renting bc there was so little info! So, I hope that I helped others!

You sure helped me! Thanks again for all the first-hand information. I emailed the shore excursion department and asked if you still have to pay for the 5th and 6th person since they removed that wording from the cabana description. A few more questions I thought of....Was there a tv in the cabana and if so what did it play (English or Spanish channels)? Also, did you use the wifi and how was the speed and connectivity?

You sure helped me! Thanks again for all the first-hand information. I emailed the shore excursion department and asked if you still have to pay for the 5th and 6th person since they removed that wording from the cabana description. A few more questions I thought of....Was there a tv in the cabana and if so what did it play (English or Spanish channels)? Also, did you use the wifi and how was the speed and connectivity?

Glad to help.

There was a tv, but it was all Spanish channels that we saw so we didn't have it on.

The internet was my biggest complaint. We couldn't really connect unless we were at the edge of our deck. Once there, though, it was a good connection. I will mention that we did bring this up to the GM when he visited us. He seemed to want to fix it immediately. He left, came back and then asked us to try again. It still didn't work inside, but he said they were going to fix that immediately. They probably just needed a signal booster or something like that. He did then give us his business card and told us where his office was if we wanted to utilize his internet! :D I did try to utilize the wifi for a video skype call, but couldn't connect (even while on deck) so there might be some restrictions on the connection. BUT, we did have a villa (one of those big house type cabanas) on HMC and I don't recall getting internet there, so this was a nice plus anyway.

Edited by Fufunia

Glad to help.

There was a tv, but it was all Spanish channels that we saw so we didn't have it on.

The internet was my biggest complaint. We couldn't really connect unless we were at the edge of our deck. Once there, though, it was a good connection. I will mention that we did bring this up to the GM when he visited us. He seemed to want to fix it immediately. He left, came back and then asked us to try again. It still didn't work inside, but he said they were going to fix that immediately. They probably just needed a signal booster or something like that. He did then give us his business card and told us where his office was if we wanted to utilize his internet! :D I did try to utilize the wifi for a video skype call, but couldn't connect (even while on deck) so there might be some restrictions on the connection. BUT, we did have a villa (one of those big house type cabanas) on HMC and I don't recall getting internet there, so this was a nice plus anyway.

Thank you so much for the info!! I am sitting here today so close to booking a poolside cabana :) Can you please tell me more about the zip lines? How many lines? Is it just zipping over the pool area? I just don't want to tell my family wrong !

Ok so when I rented my poolside cabana about a month ago, in the description it stated good for 4 guests and the 4th and 5th guest would be an additional $50 per person. Earlier this week all of the descriptions were revised on the Carnival website and that verbage is no longer there. I emailed the shore excursion department yesterday to seek clarification. Today I received a response from Carnival Tour Operations. This was the response:

Dear Annette,

Please see attached document provided by the operator with all the information regarding the amenities, inclusions as well as the maximum number of guests per cabana depending on the type of cabana itself, all cabanas have been maxed at 6 guests for now and there will be no additional charge for the 5th and 6th guests.

The operator is running this as a promotional offer (no surcharge for additional guests) to gain sales for the cabanas and the promotion will be applicable for your cruise.

Best regards,

Tour Operations

Carnival Cruise Line

So that's great news for me anyway!

Thank you so much for the info!! I am sitting here today so close to booking a poolside cabana :) Can you please tell me more about the zip lines? How many lines? Is it just zipping over the pool area? I just don't want to tell my family wrong !

There are two zipines but they are identical (meaning they start and end at the same spot as the other). They run side by side so two people could go right next to eachother at the same time. It runs from the hilltop above the pool cabanas to the other side of the pool.

Ok so when I rented my poolside cabana about a month ago, in the description it stated good for 4 guests and the 4th and 5th guest would be an additional $50 per person. Earlier this week all of the descriptions were revised on the Carnival website and that verbage is no longer there. I emailed the shore excursion department yesterday to seek clarification. Today I received a response from Carnival Tour Operations. This was the response:

Dear Annette,

Please see attached document provided by the operator with all the information regarding the amenities, inclusions as well as the maximum number of guests per cabana depending on the type of cabana itself, all cabanas have been maxed at 6 guests for now and there will be no additional charge for the 5th and 6th guests.

The operator is running this as a promotional offer (no surcharge for additional guests) to gain sales for the cabanas and the promotion will be applicable for your cruise.

Best regards,

Tour Operations

Carnival Cruise Line

So that's great news for me anyway!

Great info! Thanks, Imluvncruzn!

How are the cabana rentals listed on the excursions page? All I am able to find is the Grand Cabana.

Thanks!

Click on amber Cove and look through all of the pages. I noticed that the cabanas are no longer all together on the last page like they used to be. They are scattered throughout. When is your cruise? If you look through and don't see them at all, maybe they are sold out.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Cruise is in June. I thought maybe at first they weren't showing because they were sold out, but there are other excursions shown as sold out and I don't recall seeing any cabana rentals when I have looked before (other than grand cabana).

Cruise is in June. I thought maybe at first they weren't showing because they were sold out, but there are other excursions shown as sold out and I don't recall seeing any cabana rentals when I have looked before (other than grand cabana).

Hmmm....how many ships are scheduled to be there that day I wonder. If two, is your ship last to arrive?

Just us and Adonia, who looks to be there all week. :confused:

Whatttttt?

Well they could have made the cabanas only available to that ship then. If they will essentially be there before you guys arrive.

I noticed this when I was originally booked on the Valor. The grand turk cabanas were showing under the excursions. Then when we got switched to the Magic, that ship gets in second at Grand Turk that day and none of the poolside cabanas were available. I emailed the excursions department and they confirmed that because the Magic gets in second, the cabanas are only available for the first ship to arrive. Sure enough if you look on the excursions for my sailing, you won't find any grand turk cabanas. I pleaded with them to let us reserve one and finally they did. You might want to email excursions. shoreexcursions@carnival.com

Thanks! I will email them. I really hadn't thought too much of it because we haven't made final payment yet. Seems like once you are paid in full more excursions open up (at least that is how it has been for me in the past). But I will contact them just to be sure. :)