Bringing Alcohol on NCL ship

las52

I agree with TrinaLC and toysrme, we ordered a bottle of gin and all the prices quoted were for litre bottles.

We always order Dewars White Label and they are always 750ml.... Maybe other different liquor comes in different sizes.... I can always hope that they may have changed their policy.... but I doubt it for Scotch since when I asked 2 weeks ago when I placed the scotch order, they told me 750ml.

We just returned from the 11/19 Spirit sailing and had a box of wine in our checked luggage, a bottle of wine in a plastic carrier/shopping bag which was open and we didn't even try to hide the wine. We also had a mini bottle of liquor in our jeans pockets. We got through without any problems, nothing was confiscated.

• 4 years later...

I’m not intending to bring in a bottle of liquor, but a small container during embarkation (maybe the size of a flask) and my question is if I should carry it in my suitcase or carry it with me? Does the cruise line check any bags that we carry on?

Any suggestions?

I’m not intending to bring in a bottle of liquor, but a small container during embarkation (maybe the size of a flask) and my question is if I should carry it in my suitcase or carry it with me? Does the cruise line check any bags that we carry on?

Any suggestions?

Yes. Carry on bags go through a scanner like at the airport. In fact, your carry ons will need to fit through it the same way. We've had to go through metal detectors at some ports as well.

beachchick

It's amazing that a thread from 2005 has been resurrected. :eek:

Well, some posters are always telling others to search before they ask, so it's good to know someone did! ;) Especially, since the same question is still perfectly relevant.

Well, some posters are always telling others to search before they ask, so it's good to know someone did! ;) Especially, since the same question is still perfectly relevant.

No, I think this is the ultimate in pot stirring.

I mean, really, resurrecting a 4 1/2 year old booze smuggling thread. There have probably been a hundred since then and now.

PE

I am still confused. :confused: If you buy some cheap (say less than the $15 corkage fee) local wine to drink in your stateroom, would there still be a corkage fee?

Are you able to purchase a drink at a bar and then bring it in to the dining room with you? So could you not walk into the dining room bringing your glass of wine from your room to enjoy with your dinner?

I am still confused. :confused: If you buy some cheap (say less than the $15 corkage fee) local wine to drink in your stateroom, would there still be a corkage fee?

Avoid the corkage fee by avoiding the cork.

Okay, off the Jewel on Sunday and here's what happened. I brought a bottle of champagne on with me, carry on. I planned on paying the corkage and did, but the security guy was a bit of a jerk like I tried to hide it from him. I did not. He didn't even speak to me, he just took my bottle and walked away to the table where you pay. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

We chose to smuggle alcohol. This was in our checked luggage. We brought on the cruise ship package of filled rum runners and a box of wine. We had 5 checked bags between our two rooms so each suitcase had some contraband in it. Nothing was found. Thank goodness because the wine was so horrible that if I had to go to the naughty room of shame for that crap I would have had to throw myself overboard.

The last couple of posts asked newbie questions. You pay a corkage fee anytime the cruise line finds you carrying on (or in checked luggage) any bottle of wine. Corkage is just a term for a tax on your beverage so that it is no longer cheaper to bring your own with you.

Yes you can prepare a drink for yourself in the room or buy one at the bar and bring it with you to the dining room. They have no way of knowing nor do they care.

Rum runners worked well for us, even on NCL. Have a good trip everyone

to Nashcan

I didn't like your first reply but your second (although difficult to read) I have a new respect for you and your point of view. I hope you have a good cruise. I too remember the old seated dining and last year was my first freestyle experience. We really liked it alot. Since you said you were with a big group, if you choose to eat in the main dining room call ahead and let them know you are coming. We never waited for our table it was always ready.

We also found the majority of the food to be very good in the MDR. There were a few send backs but the servers always came thru with something better. I also missed the cold fruit soups which to me was always part of cruise culture(but I realize is not very upscale and a little corny). But I found they served them daily on the buffet, so I had them when we ate lunch there.

So good luck, I too believe if we told companies more often what we think, things would change. We dont eat at the specialties out of principle and our vacations have been just great.

• 1 year later...
Friends of ours cruised the Dawn out of NYC and here is what happened.

( I neither endorse or condemm what they did. I am just reporting the facts.)

They took tons of booze, a BLENDER and bottles of pina colada mix, etc. etc.

They split this portable cocktail lounge between 6 different checked suitcases.

They were a family of 4 in two seperate cabins.

Five suitcases went through without incident.

One suitcase was nabbed,

A note was put on their cabin door to report to xxx room on Deck 2....

My friend reported to the room and was asked to ID his suitcase. He was told that security had detected "contraband". He was asked if he had alcohol in the bag and if so, it would be held to the end of the cruise.

The suitcase contained 2 bottles of gin and 1 vodka.

He opened the suitcase just enough to grab one of the bottles of gin and gave it to security.

They DO NOT hand search your bag.

They gave him a receipt and he took his bag.

LMAO - Sounds like my kinda party :D:D:D

In some parts of the country they sell beer in plastic bottles. Those should pass thru better than cans.

However, at a price of about $18 for a 6-bottle bucket of beer on board, is it worth the hassel and the chance it will leak. Not to mention the added weight of bag you will have to carry for awhile.

I cruised on the Jewel in June and a bucket of beer was $33 for Coors lite. Funny part was that Corona lite was $28.

I cruised on the Jewel in June and a bucket of beer was $33 for Coors lite. Funny part was that Corona lite was $28.

I didn't realize this was such a old thread. No wonder the difference in beer bucket prices. The original post was from 2005. Also they were a normal size bottle of beer.

• 5 months later...

I'm determined at this point. It's what made me pick the cruise over an all-inclusive for this summer. I'm stoked about the challenge. I'm thinking Camo Caps, rum-runners, plus a couple other little tricks I may try.

Game on!

• 5 months later...
Chill out!!!

Yes but I just got an alert that someone had posted on it so thought I would add this information.:cool:

But the last post was back in February. You just now got a notification? :confused:

Plus your information was already added to this thread.

John

Archived