Diabetes

rnrcruzin

Good Day everyone. I thought I'd ask this question to the collective. My DW was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Now I know thousands of folks live with this all the time and a lot of them cruise, but it's a new experience for us.

We have almost a year before our next adventure so I'm fairly certain we have enough time to train ourselves. However we were wondering how difficult it’s been for folks in the same situation to dine either in the MDR or Blu? Does Celebrity make any accommodations by way of a special menu or were you on your own? Any help would be appreciated.

I was diagnosed last year and sailed on the Constellation. There are so many food choices, you just use your own judgement and stay away from the bad foods or balance your plate. Make good use of the fitness equipment because exercise is key. Don't stress about and just enjoy.

Good Day everyone. I thought I'd ask this question to the collective. My DW was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Now I know thousands of folks live with this all the time and a lot of them cruise, but it's a new experience for us.

We have almost a year before our next adventure so I'm fairly certain we have enough time to train ourselves. However we were wondering how difficult it’s been for folks in the same situation to dine either in the MDR or Blu? Does Celebrity make any accommodations by way of a special menu or were you on your own? Any help would be appreciated.

We can accommodate most special dietary requirements in our main dining room where there is a greater degree of control over the production and service of special meals. Unfortunately, due to the limitations of the Specialty Restaurants' galleys, we cannot customize the offerings in these locations.

Please contact our Access Department at (866) 592-7225 for further assistance.

We can accommodate most special dietary requirements in our main dining room where there is a greater degree of control over the production and service of special meals. Unfortunately, due to the limitations of the Specialty Restaurants' galleys, we cannot customize the offerings in these locations.

Thanks

Interesting response. So will those with gluten issues still be accommodated in Blu?

Some good advice overall. And yes, people are supportive because we want your wife to live a long and healthier life, and now she will because you are both pro-active about this diagnosis.

I was diagnosed 6 years ago and have cruised and taken land vacations many times since then. As mentioned, it is a matter of knowing what you are putting in your body. Yes, she will count carbohydrates. And as mentioned, the "sugar-free" options should be carefully considered. The sugar-free desserts on board still have carbs, so plan carefully.

I absolutely recommend nutritional/diabetes counselling. It is vital to help her (and you) read food labels, understand what carbs do in the body, and to make good choices. Mine was covered through my medical plan (in western Canada); it was a 2 day course at the hospital.

Exercise is important also. The weight loss she will have is an added bonus, plus her blood pressure should come down as well. After my diagnosis I lost 45 pounds and have kept healthy since then.

Blessings to you both - this is a new adventure for you! And yes, she and you can both still enjoy cruising. :)

You'll find lots of low-carb options for any meal. Skip the desserts (someone here mentioned sugar free desserts, but sugar free does NOT mean low carb...stay away from them). Enjoy walking and use the stairs to keep the metabolism going.

Edited by ehfl

I forgot to mention that the buffet really has become my friend. While many people might claim that you can't control yourself in the buffet (!), I contend that it is easy for me to pick out low carb options like plain chicken breast, cheese, salad, etc. If I want a sandwich I choose one piece of multigrain bread and fill it with cheese and veggies. Then I take the unsweetened iced tea and add a Splenda. It's all good and very yummy. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I have a question about offerings on the Reflection on a similar topic. I am T2 and my brother is pre-diabetic. He's cruised many times on X prior to his diagnosis,and this will be my first time on an X cruise. My question is, what are the sugar free and low sugar drink options? We both want to get non alcoholic beverage packages, but I don't wanna be stuck paying over 150.00 for just coffee, tea, and premium water.

I'll echo what everyone else has said.

I was diagnosed as a T2 diabetic about a year and a half ago... just before a Mediterranean cruise with many ports in Italy. I thought I was doomed. :(

In fact, it was MUCH easier to find things to eat on the ship than it was on land. Plenty of choices at the buffet. Always the ability to order multiple vegetables in the MDR. Eggs in many forms for breakfast (just avoid the pastries, cereal and for some of us, the fruit). It worked out absolutely fine for me.

If your wife hasn't found the community forum at the ADA website, I highly recommend it. The bottom line is that each one of us as diabetics will react differently, and the only way we learn to manage our disease (not cure it, but manage it) is to test our blood glucose regularly at appropriate times, watch the carbs carefully and exercise.

You sound like a wonderful support for her -- that will make all the difference in the world. I know I can't do it without my family of choice helping me every day.

And not to pat myself on the back (too much), but I've lost 60 lbs. and my A1c has been 5.5 -- in the normal range -- for 6 months now. :D