Freedom of the Seas - Labadee issues today

28_cm_gun_at_oscarsborg_fortress.jpg

i hear to prevent future attacks from the sea, royal caribbean is currently installing coastal artillery to the hills surrounding labadee. This will allow the machine-gun-toting fence guards to continue to focus on land based attacks while adding the ability to fend off boats coming in from the ocean. We should all be safer from now on.

On peaceful days you'll be able to pay $100 to fire a shell into the ocean. Just don't forget to bring extra money to tip the guy who loads the shell for you.

lmfao....:d

Wonder how carnivals new Haiti port is progressing, just up the coast?
Well, their port is actually on the Atlantic side of the Dominican Republic portion of Hispaniola. DR is a much more stable country including having a democratic government with peaceful turnover of power for decades. They called the new port Amber Cove and there are a LOT of excursions that are available so it is more than a beach port. (Not that I don't love those!)

How much is a cabana on HMC?

About $250 which includes water gear, snacks, soda and water. Same for Amber Cove.

We are scheduled to go to Labadee, but not til Nov. seems back in the 90's stops there got put on hold for several years. It will certainly bear watching this time around. For the people of Haiti, I hope things settle soon.

It accomplishes the raising of the world's awareness of their plight. If they weren't being disruptive, we would all be going on in happy ignorance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so happy you said this. I am reading all of the comments, and I urge everyone to do your RESEARCH on Haiti. And not just a wikipedia research, a deep research of its history, its culture. You will understand things a whole lot better. I am of Haitian descent, I have never been there and I plan on cruising to Labadee in April; while I am sad I may not be able to go there if this continues, I completely understand why the protests are going on. It's too long of a story/history to delve into, but the belligerent protests are merited. Haitian people do not like to be abused and lied to and are very prideful, to the point where they rather starve but have dignity, I will just leave it at that...

Well, their port is actually on the Atlantic side of the Dominican Republic portion of Hispaniola. DR is a much more stable country including having a democratic government with peaceful turnover of power for decades. They called the new port Amber Cove and there are a LOT of excursions that are available so it is more than a beach port. (Not that I don't love those!)

A while ago, Carnival announced plans to build a private Haitian port similar to Labadee. I believe that's what setsail was talking about.

A while ago, Carnival announced plans to build a private Haitian port similar to Labadee. I believe that's what setsail was talking about.

The Carnival investigation of a port in Haiti is actually on Tortuga Island off the northern coast of Haiti. If you sail into Labadee from the west, you will see the island on the port side of the ship - about an hour or so before docking at Labadee. The western beaches were once named in the top 10 beaches in the Caribbean. But, there is some squabble over rights with some Texan family who was granted a 99 year lease by Papa Doc (Duvalier) back in the day.

I am so happy you said this. I am reading all of the comments, and I urge everyone to do your RESEARCH on Haiti. And not just a wikipedia research, a deep research of its history, its culture. You will understand things a whole lot better. I am of Haitian descent, I have never been there and I plan on cruising to Labadee in April; while I am sad I may not be able to go there if this continues, I completely understand why the protests are going on. It's too long of a story/history to delve into, but the belligerent protests are merited. Haitian people do not like to be abused and lied to and are very prideful, to the point where they rather starve but have dignity, I will just leave it at that...

You're right the history of Haiti is one that is long and sad in many ways. The issues there go back a long way, both internal and external forces have played a part for 200 years or more. It's sad that there doesn't seem to be much hope for positive change anytime soon:(

I wonder if Royal will make the decision to temporarily replace Labadee with a different cruise port during the turmoil. Thoughts anyone?

Hard to say. I hope it's resolved by the time of our cruise in April. I read where RCL was unable to use Labadee for several years about a decade ago, what did RCL do at that time? Did they do a stop in Grand Cayman or some other place nearby?

Hard to say. I hope it's resolved by the time of our cruise in April. I read where RCL was unable to use Labadee for several years about a decade ago, what did RCL do at that time? Did they do a stop in Grand Cayman or some other place nearby?

The problem is that RCL did not have "Oasis" class ships in their fleet. Wonder what they would do in this case if Labadee is not available for some time.

Someone on FB said that they had been notified from RC that they were going to Belieze over Labadee. Their cruise was in the near future, but not this week. Their sailing was not an Oasis Class ship.

Oasis class ships could go to Costa Maya, like previously to the pier's consrtuction in Labadee.

It accomplishes nothing. However from what I have read there are protests all over the country not just Labadee. So sad because it just hurts people that have a job at Labadee.

That is not true. First rule of protesting it to get media attention. If there were protesting in their villages, we wouldn't even know about it. By protesting the cruise terminal, they got coverage in USA Today.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/cruiselog/2016/01/20/royal-caribbean-ship-drops-haiti-amid-protests/79056806/

I wonder if Royal will make the decision to temporarily replace Labadee with a different cruise port during the turmoil. Thoughts anyone?

Where are they going to go? They could try Coco Cay on days it is not being used, however the Allure and Oasis cannot go to Coco Cay. They could stop in the Bahamas, but those islands are a poor substitute for Labadee. They could stop in Ocho Rios, again if it is not being used. But, who wants to go to Jamaica twice?

Grand Cayman is already on the western itinerary except for Allure and Oasis and those two ships cannot stop there anyway. They could add Costa Maya ...

..... Oasis .......... or other ships

1) Homeport ..... or Homeport

2) Day at Sea ... or day at sea

3) Falmouth ..... or Falmouth

4) Day at Sea .. or Grand Cayman

5) Costa Maya . or Costa Maya

6) Cozumel ..... or Cozumel

7) Day at Sea .. or day at sea

8) Homeport .... or Homeport

Edited by Cuizer2

The Carnival investigation of a port in Haiti is actually on Tortuga Island off the northern coast of Haiti. If you sail into Labadee from the west, you will see the island on the port side of the ship - about an hour or so before docking at Labadee. The western beaches were once named in the top 10 beaches in the Caribbean. But, there is some squabble over rights with some Texan family who was granted a 99 year lease by Papa Doc (Duvalier) back in the day.

It is interesting that you mention this. The last time we went to Labadee I wondered what this land was and had meant to do some research when I got home but I forgot all about it.

What does "PUSH" mean in this context?

Based on what I've read, seen and heard, my personal interpretation of the word PUSH in the "Continue the PUSH for development" protest signage is that locals want RCL to honor agreements that were made to continue development and expansion of Labadee.

Also, what the photos and videos of the protest don't show is that the boats first circled the Freedom in the early morning hours just after our arrival. Signage and verbiage were directed towards the ship. A little while later, security boats arrived to herd them to an area near the wave runner dock.

The problem is that RCL did not have "Oasis" class ships in their fleet. Wonder what they would do in this case if Labadee is not available for some time.

Yeah, because 2 ports on a 7 night cruise to the Caribbean would be pretty sad...

Grand Cayman is already on the western itinerary except for Allure and Oasis and those two ships cannot stop there anyway. They could add Costa Maya ...

..... Oasis .......... or other ships

1) Homeport ..... or Homeport

2) Day at Sea ... or day at sea

3) Falmouth ..... or Falmouth

4) Day at Sea .. or Grand Cayman

5) Costa Maya . or Costa Maya

6) Cozumel ..... or Cozumel

7) Day at Sea .. or day at sea

8) Homeport .... or Homeport

Or add Nassau on day 2 or day 7 (depending on clockwise or counterclockwise trip):

Day 1 Homeport

Day 2 Nassau (would likely be an early stop from maybe 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM)

Day 3 Day at Sea

Day 4 Falmouth (might require a slightly later arrival than normal)

Day 5 Day at Sea (or Grand Cayman for non-Oasis class)

Day 6 Cozumel

Day 7 Day at Sea

Day 8 Homeport

OR

Day 1 Homeport

Day 2 Day at Sea

Day 3 Cozumel

Day 4 Day at Sea (or Grand Cayman for non-Oasis class)

Day 5 Falmouth (might require a slightly earlier departure than normal)

Day 6 Day at Sea

Day 7 Nassau (would likely be a late stop from maybe Noon to 8:00 PM)

Day 8 Homeport

Or add Nassau on day 2 or day 7 (depending on clockwise or counterclockwise trip):

Day 1 Homeport

Day 2 Nassau (would likely be an early stop from maybe 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM)

Day 3 Day at Sea

Day 4 Falmouth (might require a slightly later arrival than normal)

Day 5 Day at Sea (or Grand Cayman for non-Oasis class)

Day 6 Cozumel

Day 7 Day at Sea

Day 8 Homeport

OR

Day 1 Homeport

Day 2 Day at Sea

Day 3 Cozumel

Day 4 Day at Sea (or Grand Cayman for non-Oasis class)

Day 5 Falmouth (might require a slightly earlier departure than normal)

Day 6 Day at Sea

Day 7 Nassau (would likely be a late stop from maybe Noon to 8:00 PM)

Day 8 Homeport

A day at sea on the Allure, Oasis or Harmony is better than Nassau.

Someone on FB said that they had been notified from RC that they were going to Belieze over Labadee. Their cruise was in the near future, but not this week. Their sailing was not an Oasis Class ship.

Oasis class ships could go to Costa Maya, like previously to the pier's consrtuction in Labadee.

I was told today by an RCL agent that most ships (including the Indy which I'm going on next month) will be going to Belize. Hopefully, this mess will be settled soon. Belize and Falmouth are my least favourite ports so I was hoping for at least one where we could have a nice beach day.