Is the bag limit on NCL enforced?

If you're planning on bringing 4 full-sized bags you are not going to have room to physically put them in the room. This is another extremely important thing to consider. You can put 1 full-sized bag under each bed, and you could probably put one more (standing) elsewhere in the room without obstructing the entire walking space, but beyond that would really be pushing it, IMO.

I took my daughter to China for 2 1/2 weeks. We took one backpack and two carryons. I'd taken a packing class and used those folders and cubes and it was awesome, BUT a lot of work to keep things organized and compact for the long (no laundry available).

That said, when we cruise we take a crapload of luggage and extra stuff because why not? Your in one room, your not lugging stuff from airport to airport! Take as much as you want!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think the OP was asking, or cares, what other people are packing or how many suitcases they take or don't take. She asked if she can board with 3 suitcases. By the sound of it the simple answer is yes. She seems like a smart enough person to know what she wants and doesn't want on board. Congrats to all of you for taking a backpack for a month and a half on your travels, and congrats to the OP for taking what she wants on her travels.

Congrats to all of you for taking a backpack for a month and a half on your travels...

Yes! Congrats to those people for wearing the same smelly clothes day over day. That shirt still looks fabulous on day 7. Congrats to wearing nasty loafers with no socks. Congrats to having no room in the bag for some Speed Stick. Congrats to Birkenstocks during formal dinner. Congrats to washing your underwear in the sink with shampoo. While on vacation. Congrats to dizzying clothing patters that hide stains. Congrats to hairy armpits. Congrats to the broken promises that wool won't ever stink.

Congrats!

Thank god for booze... :eek:

My name is Tara and I'm a chronic overpacker.

Seriously, how do you pack in 1 carry on.

At least 2 swimsuits (3 is better) cause I'm not pulling on a wet one...ewwe.

2-3 sun dresses or cover-up, same reason.

5-7 nice outfits for dinners which is at least 3 slacks/capri/skirts and tops to mix

But I'd prefer fresh each day. I hate rewearing and don't want to spend vacation sink washing clothes.

Shorts and tank for ruins excursion

Anther set for rock climbing and putt putt.

A third for zip lining and monkeys

Undies and bras

Pjs

Don't get me started on shoes. I need two pairs flip flops ( otherwise one will break our rub weird guaranteed) water shoes, dressier shoes for dinner (probably at least a black and a tan) tennis shoes. Yes I NEED 6 pairs of shoes.

Ship blow dryer will do nothing for my daughter's butt length thick thick hair, need that.

Straight iron. No way I'm going anywhere without that.

Conditioner

Toiletries ( just wow) day cream night cream, face wash,...I'll stop there but leave it to say, soaps, lotions, make up, hair products, and first aid for our family is a full carry on with a week vacation.

Medicines

Bug spray

Sunscreen

Sun hats

Camera and extra lenses (most of another carryon)

Book (kindle)

Thank god the formal nights are gone.

I don't get it. What are you just leaving behind? Say what you will, I CAN NOT do it.

Edited by elliotterae

Glad to hear they aren't overly strict on the limit.

I'm always amazed how people can get away with a single carryon. I always find shoes to be a hassle.

After you pack 2-3 pairs of men's size 12 (dress, athletic and sandals) the carryon bag is nearly full!

If it were me, I'd pack light and I do for work. I take a small roller carry on and backpack for a week of work travel. I could do it for vacation too but my family doesn't so I tend to bring more then. We just bought two 26 inch rollers to carry most of our clothes for the four of us for upcoming Escape cruise. And geez, it feels like we're brining steamer trunks along. But do what makes you happy on vacation.

Glad to hear they aren't overly strict on the limit.

I'm always amazed how people can get away with a single carryon. I always find shoes to be a hassle.

After you pack 2-3 pairs of men's size 12 (dress, athletic and sandals) the carryon bag is nearly full!

I cheat for work travel and tie my monster size tennis shoes around the handle of my roller. I pack one pair of dress shoes full of socks and underwear until they're about ready to burst inside the bag. And wear the other on the plane.

If you're planning on bringing 4 full-sized bags you are not going to have room to physically put them in the room. This is another extremely important thing to consider. You can put 1 full-sized bag under each bed, and you could probably put one more (standing) elsewhere in the room without obstructing the entire walking space, but beyond that would really be pushing it, IMO.

We travel 4 to a room, and we carry a lot of luggage. I've got one big rolling duffle just for my scuba gear. And I leave it fully packed and in the bottom of the closet. You can get a lot of bags under the bed and some in the closet. My room steward even asked if he could store some of my bags once, but I didn't need to. We found room to store all of them. And these days, many bags are soft, and can be store inside other bags. A lot of hard luggage can be stored that way as well.

My name is Tara and I'm a chronic overpacker.

Seriously, how do you pack in 1 carry on.

At least 2 swimsuits (3 is better) cause I'm not pulling on a wet one...ewwe.

2-3 sun dresses or cover-up, same reason.

5-7 nice outfits for dinners which is at least 3 slacks/capri/skirts and tops to mix

But I'd prefer fresh each day. I hate rewearing and don't want to spend vacation sink washing clothes.

Shorts and tank for ruins excursion

Anther set for rock climbing and putt putt.

A third for zip lining and monkeys

Undies and bras

Pjs

Don't get me started on shoes. I need two pairs flip flops ( otherwise one will break our rub weird guaranteed) water shoes, dressier shoes for dinner (probably at least a black and a tan) tennis shoes. Yes I NEED 6 pairs of shoes.

Ship blow dryer will do nothing for my daughter's butt length thick thick hair, need that.

Straight iron. No way I'm going anywhere without that.

Conditioner

Toiletries ( just wow) day cream night cream, face wash,...I'll stop there but leave it to say, soaps, lotions, make up, hair products, and first aid for our family is a full carry on with a week vacation.

Medicines

Bug spray

Sunscreen

Sun hats

Camera and extra lenses (most of another carryon)

Book (kindle)

Thank god the formal nights are gone.

I don't get it. What are you just leaving behind? Say what you will, I CAN NOT do it.

Yippee Tara! My name is Linda and I pack extra...just in case I change my mind on what to wear. :)

Fewer bags does not equal smarter packing. Who needs to watch a You Tube video to figure out how to pack? Jeez. Some people like to have lots of options and no repetition in their vacation wardrobe. Others will wear dirty underwear and the same pants for 10 days in a row. Everyone is different.

Obviously, you do... Overpacking is a complete burden on the ships crew. Learning that your entire wardrobe need not be packed like you will never be returning home, is just another example of selfishness, and lack of respect for those who have to transport your crap from shoreside to cabin. And I've noticed that the heavy packers usually are the worst tippers to the stevedores at pier side.

And YES, learning how to maximize packing a suitcase properly is smarter. And learning how to pack correctly you will notice your clothing comes out without looking like an elephant stepped on them.

I don't think the OP was asking, or cares, what other people are packing or how many suitcases they take or don't take. She asked if she can board with 3 suitcases. By the sound of it the simple answer is yes. She seems like a smart enough person to know what she wants and doesn't want on board. Congrats to all of you for taking a backpack for a month and a half on your travels, and congrats to the OP for taking what she wants on her travels.

You hit the nail on the head! Thank you!!!

On that note, I am exiting this thread, because I received my answer and this is becoming Bag-Gate 2016.

Edited by wecanlivelikejackandsally
Because this has gotten cray.

Wow, I had no idea that many people took TWO bags each on a cruise.

We tend to take trips that go at least three weeks, up to five weeks in duration and take ONE bag each, with DW taking a carry on. I take a small briefcase which carries travel docs, earphone for air travel, camera, a couple of small books and extra set of glasses.

We always have to send about two bags of laundry, but manage quite well. I cannot imagine why anyone would need two, three or four bags each.

We always have to fly to our cruise location and paying for extra luggage that we don't need is foolish.

Can I ask some of you multiple bag persons what it is that requires so much luggage?

We don't fly.

I need 1 large rolling bag just for 3 sets of snorkel gear, neet sheet, and beach gear . Flipper's take up most of it. And 1 empty for stuff we buy on the trip. and a rolling cooler. ;)

Edited by biker@sea

We don't fly.

I need 1 large rolling bag just for 3 sets of snorkel gear, neet sheet, and beach gear . Flipper's take up most of it. And 1 empty for stuff we buy on the trip. and a rolling cooler. ;)

Can't you rent that snorkel gear on location?

Because we often drive to port and other family members we are traveling with fly, we frequently pack items for all of them to avoid them needing to put those items in their limited in number and size luggage to fly. As a result, we sometimes check 4-5 bags with the porters. If we were just packing for ourselves, it would be one bag each.

No, NCL will not limit the number of bags you can bring on board.

If you pack multiple bags, try to have them of various sizes that will nest, when empty, into your two largest bags (make sure the largest bag heights will fit under the bags).

I know I'll be chewed out for my comment but the porters at the pier are already paid a nice salary. Tipping excessively if you have over 2 bags is not going to make a difference. Or is tipping them a lot because you're sneaking in stuff is not going to help -- they are not ship security. They don't care how many bags you have or what you have in the bag. They are solely responsible for getting your bag in to the pier. Heck, they are not even responsible if your bag gets lost or stolen. I've seen many unattended luggage carts all over the pier during embarkation/debarkation days. Anyone can just walk by and take a bag and leave.

They literally walk less than 10 feet, place your luggage in a cart, and someone else moves the cart in to the pier. When I was cruising on the BA in 2014, I decided to place the luggage on the cart myself since I'm perfectly able to carry and lift my own bag. The porter yelled at me saying I can't do that since they have a "system." Yeah right, they just want to touch my bag so I can give tip them. So as I stood there, waiting for the rest of my family to arrive, everyone getting dropped off just had their bag placed on the cart and when it was full, a empty cart took its place, and more bags placed on top -- no "system."

Sure, tip them a buck or 2 per bag drop or per bag if that makes you feel better. If they helped you unload your trunk and dragged it to the cart, sure, a tip is appreciated. If they literally have to lift your bag 6" off the ground from the front of the cart to the top of the cart, tip at your discretion. Your bag WILL still make it to your room, unless of course it goes missing (see first paragraph).

Now when we left the BA, we got a porter and utilized his cart and we tipped generously since we felt that was deserved. He helped us locate our bags, put our bags on top, waited for us while we went through customs, then dragged all our stuff upstairs to the arrival hall.

Edited by pr0pel