Magen's Bay or Sapphire Beach

SeaHoliday

Thank you for your advice. I have been stressing over what to do this time in St Thomas, we arrive in a few weeks at NOON. Only ship in port that day! Freedom of the seas. I have been to Magens Bay on Sunny Liston tours (1st trip) 2nd trip chartered sail boat for the day and went AROUND ST john, too stressful getting cab back from Red Hook, almost missed the ship...last year tried Coki Beach, Just OK. Want to go to : Sapphire, Lindquist OR Emerald. After seeing your photos and reading your advice I have decided to now go to Emerald. Don't want to waste so much time and energy going somewhere far and I also would like to have time to do the sky tram. Thank you :) I think Emerald it will be!

Sapphire is way to far for me during a cruise vacation. If I'm staying in St Thomas it won't be a problem but a 2 hrs drive it's a lot for me specially when a cruise ( that's doesn't wait) is waiting for you

Sapphire is about 30 minutes and Megans is about 20. Not really that much difference. Sapphire is a much nicer place for snorkeling and activity in the water. Megans is like being in a big bath tub.

Sapphire is about 30 minutes and Megans is about 20. Not really that much difference. Sapphire is a much nicer place for snorkeling and activity in the water. Megans is like being in a big bath tub.

That's what I wonder about Megans...if it'll be almost too calm (and so not much fun)

• 2 weeks later...
Neither!

Megans is a tourist trap probably because it was voted best 10 beaches in the world. That was years ago. Now it is too crowded

Sapphire? Been there twice and never caught on to liking it

Here is where we go

How about a nice (usually quiet) stretch of beach with facilities, chairs for rent, food and bar?

Emerald!

Faster to get to also

Also where the ship's crew (singers and dancers) often go to relax

Emerald_View_1.jpg

Emerald3.jpg

Emerald2.jpg

THank you so much for this post. I have been reading and reading and comparing and was losing myself in the beaches of St. Thomas! Hahaha...We have 12000 passengers in port on our day, so you helped me decide that Emerald is the best option. Thanks!

Holly

Neither!

Megans is a tourist trap probably because it was voted best 10 beaches in the world. That was years ago. Now it is too crowded

Here is where we go

How about a nice (usually quiet) stretch of beach with facilities, chairs for rent, food and bar?

Emerald!

Faster to get to also

Emerald_View_1.jpg

Emerald3.jpg

Emerald2.jpg

Is the first picture Magens or Emerald? It looks like Magens as there is zero waves.

Emerald does look nice (second and third pictures).

Edited by LuCruise

Both of her photos are of Emerald Beach. The water is typically pretty calm there, too, but not as calm as Magens.

I was at Emerald the other day and posted a sideshow on ramblr.com. You have to search for it if you want to see it now, because I don't have time to post the link, and I haven't had a chance to add the comments to the photos. It was a little windy that day - looks like there was less wind in the photos posted.

Is the first picture Magens or Emerald? It looks like Magens as there is zero waves.

Emerald does look nice (second and third pictures).

You can tell the first one is Emerald because the large island looking thingy isn't in the center. (Magens has that big round island thing)

You can tell the first one is Emerald because the large island looking thingy isn't in the center. (Magens has that big round island thing)

There is no "island looking thing" at Magens. Are you thinking about the cays that are off shore at Trunk and Cinnamon on St John? Actually, you can tell that the first picture is Lindbergh because there are no houses on the left side as you look out to sea.

Sapphire is way to far for me during a cruise vacation. If I'm staying in St Thomas it won't be a problem but a 2 hrs drive it's a lot for me specially when a cruise ( that's doesn't wait) is waiting for you

Sapphire is a 20 min taxi from Havensight, maybe 30 from Crown. Not much longer than Lindbergh (aka Emerald) or Magens and much nicer.

Hello-we will be arriving at St Thomas in the afternoon and I was wondering which beach would be better--Megan or Sapphire?

Thanks!

Kari

Can't help Lisa because she already sailed. But Sapphire is definitely worth another 10 minutes of travel time from Crown, same distance to Magens from Havensight. Just a gorgeous blach with beautiful views of STJ and the BVI!

Magens is beautiful from the hills but boring IMHO. Lindbergh (aka Emerald) is a nice spot if you are docked at Crown and want something close or a beach for just a couple hours with a hotel feel.

Sapphire is more laid back and followed by Paradise Point can't be beat!:)

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

Edited by blue_water

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you for your advice. I have been stressing over what to do this time in St Thomas, we arrive in a few weeks at NOON. Only ship in port that day! Freedom of the seas. I have been to Magens Bay on Sunny Liston tours (1st trip) 2nd trip chartered sail boat for the day and went AROUND ST john, too stressful getting cab back from Red Hook, almost missed the ship...last year tried Coki Beach, Just OK. Want to go to : Sapphire, Lindquist OR Emerald. After seeing your photos and reading your advice I have decided to now go to Emerald. Don't want to waste so much time and energy going somewhere far and I also would like to have time to do the sky tram. Thank you :) I think Emerald it will be!

Well? Did you go? and if so, how was Emerald Beach?

• 2 weeks later...

We are docking at Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas how far would Emerald Beach be vs. how far Saphire Beach?

Also we have small kids do you think both places would be safe ?

Neither!

Here is where we go

Emerald!

Faster to get to also

Emerald_View_1.jpg

Emerald3.jpg

Emerald2.jpg

I can't speak to Magen's Bay as we decided to avoid crowds and went to Sapphire instead. I CAN tell you that Sapphire Beach is my new happy place :D Positively gorgeous beach, white sand, perfect turquoise water, very friendly people, good rum punch, and not at all crowded. Lots of shade provided by trees (no umbrella needed). For me, Sapphire Beach was the highlight of my trip. We like a relaxed, laid-back, empty beach personally. Took us about 20 minutes by taxi from pier. Hope that helps. :cool:

I can't speak to Magen's Bay as we decided to avoid crowds and went to Sapphire instead. I CAN tell you that Sapphire Beach is my new happy place :D Positively gorgeous beach, white sand, perfect turquoise water, very friendly people, good rum punch, and not at all crowded. Lots of shade provided by trees (no umbrella needed). For me, Sapphire Beach was the highlight of my trip. We like a relaxed, laid-back, empty beach personally. Took us about 20 minutes by taxi from pier. Hope that helps. :cool:

That's the report I expect to see from someone who visited Sapphire! You have the same impression as most of us. Hard to believe some folks are focused on the closed restaurant and pool bar with such a gorgeous, quiet beach to enjoy!

Thanks for your post!

That's the report I expect to see from someone who visited Sapphire! You have the same impression as most of us. Hard to believe some folks are focused on the closed restaurant and pool bar with such a gorgeous, quiet beach to enjoy!

Thanks for your post!

I see you mentioned a closed restaurant and bar.... is there any food or drink venues at saphire? How about loungers to rent? We are thinking of going here on our cruise stop in St. Thomas, I like the idea of a less crowded beach and ability to snorkel (bringing own equipment) but i would also like to get food and drink as well.

thanks

We were in St Thomas in January and had a bad experience. We went to the taxi area and requested Sapphire Beach but none of the drivers wanted to go there. After walking up and down for about half an hour in the heat, asking the guys in charge if they could help us find someone to take us to the beach we were eventually told to get on one of the jitneys which they said would go to Sapphire, but the driver was very unhappy about it, and argued loudly with the guy in charge. He was then very angry and extremely rude to all the passengers. He drove to Coki Beach first and the whole trip took nearer to an hour.

We would have preferred to have gone in our own taxi rather than a jitney but there didn't seem to be any alternative. Does anyone know the best way to find a taxi rather than a jitney? We were at Crown Bay on Regal Princess and are due back on Oasis in a couple of weeks.

We found Sapphire to be very crowded, there was very little beach as the tide was so high. The sea was very rough as it was windy and there was a steep drop close to the shore which made it doubly difficult to get in and out of the water. It was so rough we only stayed in the water for a few minutes. There were loungers to hire but many of them were very dirty, in bad condition, and covered in iguana droppings.

Maybe we'll try Emerald next time!

Edited by ellie1145

We were in St Thomas in January and had a bad experience. We went to the taxi area and requested Sapphire Beach but none of the drivers wanted to go there. After walking up and down for about half an hour in the heat, asking the guys in charge if they could help us find someone to take us to the beach we were eventually told to get on one of the jitneys which they said would go to Sapphire, but the driver was very unhappy about it, and argued loudly with the guy in charge. He was then very angry and extremely rude to all the passengers. He drove to Coki Beach first and the whole trip took nearer to an hour.

We would have preferred to have gone in our own taxi rather than a jitney but there didn't seem to be any alternative. Does anyone know the best way to find a taxi rather than a jitney? We were at Crown Bay on Regal Princess and are due back on Oasis in a couple of weeks.

We found Sapphire to be very crowded, there was very little beach as the tide was so high. The sea was very rough as it was windy and there was a steep drop close to the shore which made it doubly difficult to get in and out of the water. It was so rough we only stayed in the water for a few minutes. There were loungers to hire but many of them were very dirty, in bad condition, and covered in iguana droppings.

Maybe we'll try Emerald next time!

Not a fun day at all!!! :(

I see you mentioned a closed restaurant and bar.... is there any food or drink venues at saphire? How about loungers to rent? We are thinking of going here on our cruise stop in St. Thomas, I like the idea of a less crowded beach and ability to snorkel (bringing own equipment) but i would also like to get food and drink as well.

thanks

Yes there are food/drink options at Sapphire as well as restrooms/changing stalls and a dive center renting lounges, snorkel gear, floaties, kayaks, and other items.

Sapphire is a gorgeous beach with snorkeling at the reef and sea grass areas, nice island views, and lots of natural shade along the shore to toward the condo bldgs. Banana Cabana is a beach grill selling excellent sandwiches (the mahi mahi is great), beers, and tropical drinks, and the dive center also sells rum punch and beer. Both BC and a restaurant on the hill behind the marina has a runner taking food and drink orders on the beach.

I have to say Ellie's report from her January visit is shocking to those of us who enjoy Sapphire. Of course any bay can be rough with some sand movement when the sea or wind is up and that could have been a bad day during the winter. But we've stayed at Sapphire a few times and the only section we saw get crowded (on huge ship days) was in front of the dive center where the sandier swimming beach is. There is room to move away from there and find a nice shaded spot by the water.