Train Southampton to Waterloo

lcumpire

We are on a cruise out of Southampton leaving on Tuesday June 28, 2016. We are flying during the day from the US to LHR on Sunday arriving at 9:00PM. Planning on taking a car service from LHR to hotel in Southampton Sunday after we land.

Plan on getting up Monday and taking the direct train to London/Waterloo and spending the day until we feel tired and train back to Southampton.

We realize we might be exhausted Monday morning and, if so, probably take the train to town near Stonehenge instead.

Would like opinion if going into London would be to much or possible if we take it easy.

Thanx

Well, on the surface the whole back-and-forth between London and Southampton seems quite inefficient. Much better to just stay in London upon arrival, stay and tour on Monday, then take the train to Southampton on Tuesday morning and go straight to the dock.

By the time you have cleared immigration and customs followed by the drive to Southampton-or transport into the city-- it will be late.

Perhaps consider touring London after your cruise and use your free day to take a train to Salisbury (for Stonehenge) , Winchester, or Chichester; All are cathedral towns and very interesting. You can then call it a day whenever you get tired. I would use the morning of your cruise to wander around Southampton.

I agree that staying in London is a better option. I'd probably just check in to an airport hotel and then get into London on the tube with no luggage, spent the day there then back to the hotel late that night. Next day I'd get the hotel shuttle to the National Express bus station or get the car you had booked to take you to Southampton. Seems a more efficient way of doing things to me

I agree that staying in London is a better option. I'd probably just check in to an airport hotel and then get into London on the tube with no luggage, spent the day there then back to the hotel late that night. Next day I'd get the hotel shuttle to the National Express bus station or get the car you had booked to take you to Southampton. Seems a more efficient way of doing things to me

This would save you lots of travel time the night of your arrival at LHR.

As other posts, it's inefficient - and expensive - to travel from Heathrow to Southampton (about 65 miles to the south-west), then next morning travel back past Heathrow to central London (about 15 miles east of Heathrow) then return to Southampton.

You have a range of options, though your arrival time at Heathrow (through airport formalities by 10 - 10.30pm) makes life a little difficult.

A Heathrow hotel on the sunday night, then on the Monday the tube (metro) or Heathrow Express (train) into London and back to the same Heathrow hotel that evening, then travel to Southampton on the Tuesday by private transfer or rental car or direct to Southampton by National Express bus (about £18 pp) Or there's the Cruise Bus (via Stonehenge if you wish) but for four that's probably not economical.

Heathrow hotels are much cheaper than central London, though airport hotels have a pretty sterile atmosphere surrounded by parking lots, & they gouge customers on food & drink.

The tube into London costs about £12 return & takes about 40 minutes & takes you direct to a choice of half a dozen central London tube stations, they run every five minutes. Buy tickets on the day.

Or the Heathrow Express takes you direct to central London's Paddington station, they run every ten minutes or so, take 15 minutes, & cost about £24 return if you buy on-line at least 90 days out (but a lot more if you buy closer in or on-the-day).

Even for four of you, without luggage a private transfer from Heathrow to central London doesn't make sense - more expensive & takes longer.

Renting a car from a Heathrow base the drive to Southampton is pretty easy, you need a driver happy in city traffic if you rent from a central London base.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_from_london_shared_bus.html

Or:

Private transfer (about £50 the car) from Heathrow to a central London hotel on sunday evening.

At that time of night & with luggage the Heathrow Express or tube or National Express bus would be a pain unless you had a hotel close to Paddington station or a suitable tube station or Victoria coach station.

Two nights in that central London hotel. You can get around the sights by a combination of shanks's, tube, bus, ho-ho, river boat & mebbe the odd short black-cab ride.

Then tuesday morning to Stonehenge & on to Southampton by rented car (pick up the car tues morning, not mon evening).

Or if no-one volunteers to drive in London, start the day with a private transfer from your central London hotel to a Heathrow car rental depot.

Or if you choose to pass on Stonehenge, even for four of you direct to Southampton is cheapest pre-booked for either National Express coach (bus) from Victoria coach station at about £12 pp, or train at about £10 from Waterloo station. That train price only booked through the megatrain website - on the regular National Rail website or walk-up it's around £40 pp, though there are a lot more train times to choose from..

Or again, you could book direct to Southampton or via Stonehenge with Cruise Bus or a private transfer.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

https://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

For private transfers Heathrow or London to Southampton (direct or via Stonehenge) try http://www.smithsforairports.com or http://www.aquacars.co.uk or http://www.westquaycars.com They're all based at the Southampton end, all used by CC members, and likely to give best value. But because they're not London-based they're no good for Heathrow to London. You're likely to find, as one CC member did recently, that the ones advertised on https://www.londontoolkit.com/ are over-priced. But that website contains a stack of great tourist info & is well worth browsing.

You need about 90 minutes at Stonehenge, and if you have the time then drop into Salisbury for an hour or two.

You're strongly advised to pre-book your Stonehenge tickets (already included in the Cruise Bus price).

Alternatively on the Monday evening travel to a Southampton or Salisbury hotel (various transport options) & visit Stonehenge from either on tuesday morning.

Or skip central London altogether & make life a lot cheaper & easier - though if you've not been to London it does tend to be the number one British destination.

Hertz, Europcar, National & Alamo have depots handy to Southampton's cruise terminals, Avis is rather inconvenient out at Southampton airport.

Browse the various websites, check prices, don't commit to a hotel until you've chosen a basic transport plan, come back with any questions or plans.

Better brew a large pot of coffee first ;)

JB :)

I am inclined to listen to everyone and stay either at LHR or in London and use Smiths to get to the port. My friends have never been to London and I would like to show them around - I have only been once. The advantage of staying in London is we could take a nap before going out in the evening.

I am thinking of a car service from LHR to London but would like a recommendation of one. I have used Viator service in other parts of the world so I trust them unless someone has a recommendation.

Thanx

It looks as though you are on a Baltic cruise --ours was very port intensive, wonderful but tiring.

I realize that you are flying from the US to LHR during the day time but do consider the time change effect, and how you will be feeling, before making pre-cruise plans that are strenuous and potentially expensive. I'm ready for bed by about 8 pm on my first night in the UK even after an afternoon nap ( I grew up there and visit as often as I can). Admittedly my time lag is greater than yours....

Edited by Alaskanb

I apologize but the more I think the more options I find. How about we stay at one if the hotels in a LHR terminal on Sunday night. Monday morning maybe around 10:00 (after rush hour) and take either a car service or the Heathrow express and get a hotel in London - we can then visit the rest of the day, etc. Then take a car service Tuesday morning to the port.

Sound like a compromise?

Thanx

I apologize but the more I think the more options I find. How about we stay at one if the hotels in a LHR terminal on Sunday night. Monday morning maybe around 10:00 (after rush hour) and take either a car service or the Heathrow express and get a hotel in London - we can then visit the rest of the day, etc. Then take a car service Tuesday morning to the port.

Sound like a compromise?

Thanx

The problem with staying at LHR and switching to a central London hotel is that a significant chunk of your touring day will be occupied with the switch, taking away touring time. There's really no reason not to go straight into town (remember, while you will be arriving relatively late at 9 pm, body time it will be 4 pm, so you should be in relatively good shape). How to get there is largely a personal preference - I'm a big fan of the Heathrow Express for speed and comfort (and in terms of cost, you can get 90-day advance purchase tickets online for as little of 5.50 pounds), and you can stay at either the Hilton Paddington or another of the nearby hotels. That said, there's certainly something to be said for a private transfer - and if you're staying in an area other than Paddington, the time difference will be less.

Yes, just the one hotel.

An airport hotel is likely to work out cheaper, both the room cost & travel costs. For instance a private transfer to Southampton will be about £40 - £50 cheaper. But it'll cost you up to an hour from hotel to central London.

A central London hotel gets you out of bland & desolate airportland, gives you more time in the city, and the opportunity to freshen up & change between day & evening - if you stay awake that long ;)

One night at each location would fall between two stools. Departing your Heathrow hotel by private transfer at 10am as you're considering, then registering at your London hotel, wouldn't put you on the street in London much before noon - wasting half of your only day in London.

Sorry, can't suggest a car service Heathrow to London, it's out of my patch. There are stax of operators, I suggest you google then look for independent reviews on likely prospects. Bear in mind the popular ones will have hundreds of reviews, & all are capable of fouling-up & getting a proportion of bad reviews.

JMHO - ATOOEE :)

(just my humble opinion and the opinion of everyone else)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

OK you talked me into staying both nights in London. I will switch to Trip Advisor and the TA Forum to locate a hotel and possible a car service.

I would like to thank everyone you provided information and guidance to help with my trip.