over the door organizer and outlet adapter

bubba83

We will be on grandeur in April and it will be 4 of us in one room (two kiddos two adults)

What is a cheap over the door shoe organizer we can put on inside of bathroom door?

and what outlet adapter would be good to charge a couple cell phone and a couple tablets?

thank you kindly :D

We will be on grandeur in April and it will be 4 of us in one room (two kiddos two adults)

What is a cheap over the door shoe organizer we can put on inside of bathroom door?

and what outlet adapter would be good to charge a couple cell phone and a couple tablets?

Not sure what you mean by outlet adapter. There are US type outlets near the desk area.

I would just bring a small power strip to charge multiple devices. I bought one through Amazon a few years ago. The cord wraps around the strip so it stores nicely. Can't speak for the over the door organizer, but there are plenty out there.

I think you can get cheap over the door organizers (made for shoes) at dollar stores or target type stores.

I bought this; http://smile.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector-Charging/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1454088496&sr=8-10&keywords=usb+power+strip for our cruise and it worked really well. 3 power spots and two usb spots. :D

I think you can get cheap over the door organizers (made for shoes) at dollar stores or target type stores.

I bought this; http://smile.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector-Charging/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1454088496&sr=8-10&keywords=usb+power+strip for our cruise and it worked really well. 3 power spots and two usb spots. :D

This is the adaptor that I use. It has never been questioned after 4 cruises. You can find it at brick and mortar stores.

Edited by Cruisin Dave

I own the Belkin that is in the link in one of the posts. It is plugged in in my kitchen right now, it has surge protection. Two USB's in the end, 3 outlets and you can push a button on the side where the plug is and turn it to whatever way suits you best. The only thing that limits plugging in 3 items is whether or not the plugs are large. Right now I have my computer and a phone plugged in, a normal small plug would still fit in the middle, but not a larger one. It always goes in my carryon, I haven't had an issue taking it on the ship, but I have heard of people having problems taking on a power bar. Hope this helps.

I bought my organizer years ago at Wal Mart but I don't think that they carry them now, mine is clear, it hangs on the little knobs on the inside of the bathroom door. Our dollar store has organizers for $2 and they are really really light fabric, made for shoes, but it works really well. If the plastic one wears out I will start taking the fabric one with us. Right now I keep the fabric one on the back of the spare bedroom door and when I'm gathering things for a cruise I use the pockets to gather my evening bags, shoes and accessories. Then when I am ready to pack I just pull the stuff out of the pockets and pack with the outfits.

Dee

Thanks the outlet charger you posted was exactly the one I had seen on here before and forgot what it was called...I probably confused some by saying outlet adapter...

I own the Belkin that is in the link in one of the posts. It is plugged in in my kitchen right now, it has surge protection. Two USB's in the end, 3 outlets and you can push a button on the side where the plug is and turn it to whatever way suits you best. The only thing that limits plugging in 3 items is whether or not the plugs are large. Right now I have my computer and a phone plugged in, a normal small plug would still fit in the middle, but not a larger one. It always goes in my carryon, I haven't had an issue taking it on the ship, but I have heard of people having problems taking on a power bar. Hope this helps.

I bought my organizer years ago at Wal Mart but I don't think that they carry them now, mine is clear, it hangs on the little knobs on the inside of the bathroom door. Our dollar store has organizers for $2 and they are really really light fabric, made for shoes, but it works really well. If the plastic one wears out I will start taking the fabric one with us. Right now I keep the fabric one on the back of the spare bedroom door and when I'm gathering things for a cruise I use the pockets to gather my evening bags, shoes and accessories. Then when I am ready to pack I just pull the stuff out of the pockets and pack with the outfits.

Dee

that's a great idea!

that's a great idea!

Thanks :) it works great for me! PLUS it helps with my obsession to gather things long before a cruise which helps me with the excitement :D.

The Belkin is also available at Home Depot, that is where I bought mine. Probably cheaper to buy it in the US (I'm in Canada).

I'm kind of obsessive with organizing and tidying. I am hooked on the KonMari method (books by Marie Kondo).

Dee

I got this one after Bob recommended it. Being able to rotate the plug is great when you have multiple devices to plug in depending on the orientation of the ship's outlet on a small vanity.

Just remember to unplug all charging devices when you leave the cabin unattended. This is for fire prevention!!!

Thanks :) it works great for me! PLUS it helps with my obsession to gather things long before a cruise which helps me with the excitement :D.

The Belkin is also available at Home Depot, that is where I bought mine. Probably cheaper to buy it in the US (I'm in Canada).

I'm kind of obsessive with organizing and tidying. I am hooked on the KonMari method (books by Marie Kondo).

Dee

I just bought the Belkin on amazon for like $9, very reasonable I think....then I couldn't help myself but I bought some luggage tags and some beach towel clips so I can lounge all day by the pool without fussing with my towel :)

Im going to look for the shoe organizer at the dollar stores here in our area!

I bought the Belkin as well. I haven't taken it on a cruise yet, but it USBs won't charge my iPhone/iPads. I've had this problem before with some non-Apple charging devices. It works fine if I use the plug adaptor.
This is the one that will charge any iPhone/iPads, looks the same as others but note the 2.1 amp output. http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-SurgePlus-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector/dp/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=pd_sim_23_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=31yEk7KsNFL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0TWJ98X7A5RQJ8VJ2XCP

T

his is the one that will charge any iPhone/iPads, looks the same as others but note the 2.1 amp output. http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-SurgePl...X7A5RQJ8VJ2XCP

This must be the one I have too, because I've never had a problem charging my iPhone or iPad with the usb ports in mine. It's one of the best purchases I've made from a recommendation here! (Thanks, Bob!!) ;)

I should buy that Belkin for regular travel with my dh since he takes up all the outlets!!!

On the over the door thing, are you guys talking about a full one? or like half the door? And the hooks will fit on the door and you can close it? Funny thing is I've always cruised with my dh & 2 ds' so I'm the only one with "stuff" so I have plenty of bathroom space. My next trip is with my mom & sister so I was thinking the door thing is a necessity.

I have a cruise box full of goodies. I have that same charger but for the over the door I have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002V91962/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the mesh pocket outside the main pocket so double storage.

I also purchased this for the shower rod (if there is one)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003PGQHRG/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then since I have girls I always need more hangers so I have the magnetic hooks and I have the folding hangers which work great for all the extra sun dresses

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00WJ6FXDC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1454123318&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=folding+hangers+for+travel

I think you will find the over the door organizer a Godsend with 4 in the cabin. DH and I cruise alone these days but back in the day when we had kids with us I would always bring it. Make sure you get one with CLEAR pockets so you can see what you're looking for instantly. I kept all of our "accessories" in that thing.

Do RC ships not have outlets next to the bed? I can't remember.

I'm not sure about all ships/staterooms, but the last couple of times we've sailed on FOS in a JS and OS, we've had to request an extension cord for my husband's CPAP machine.

For all of those who use or intend to use the Belkin USB charger noted above, please be advised that it is a surge protector, and while it very frequently passes security (because it does not look like a power strip on x-ray), it is still a potentially dangerous device to use onboard. And, in fact, the longer you use it onboard, in the ship's electrical system, the more likely it is to fail catastrophically.

Here is a thread where I was helped out by CaveDiving, who researched the facts to the experts and came away convinced of the dangers:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2271143

Post #10 is long and dry, but it explains the dangers of long term use of a "perfectly functioning" surge suppressor in shipboard wiring.

For those who are worried about protecting their electronics, know that none, zero, nada of the electronics onboard a ship, from the Captain's laptop or cell phone, to the navigation equipment, safety equipment like radios, the POS registers, or the computers that control the entire power plant onboard are, or ever were protected by surge suppressors. The wiring differences onboard that make surge suppressors dangerous are also the ones that make them not required.

It takes some searching, and actually going to the manufacturer's websites to confirm, to find power strips and USB ports without surge suppressors. I have found, for example, that "powercube-usa.com" has a line of both multi-outlets, and combination outlet/USB wall warts, and short corded adapters that are not surge suppressors.

Edited by chengkp75

I just bought the Belkin on amazon for like $9, very reasonable I think....then I couldn't help myself but I bought some luggage tags and some beach towel clips so I can lounge all day by the pool without fussing with my towel :)

Im going to look for the shoe organizer at the dollar stores here in our area!

Excellent deal!!!!!! My bet is that you will love your new Belkin! I haven't ordered luggage tags, I still use packing tape to cover the paper tags and then tape them on. We cut them off in the cabin, so no worries that they will be yanked off :D.

I bring little dollar store magnets and hooks to hang up invitations, the daily compass, our calendar if I have a lot planned in advance and any other things we need to keep track of but want off of flat surfaces. We put these on the wall beside the cabinet with the tv. All of the walls are metal so perfect for magnets. Sometimes when we are traveling with friends we all decorate our cabins (most recent was Halloween....what a blast!!!!) so the little magnets from the dollar store take up very little space and weight to pack and are perfect for putting things on the walls. I have little hooks to hang hats and jackets near the door. When we travel with friends we always have a magnetic write on wipe off board and marker on the door so they can leave us notes. We get some pretty interesting notes at times :eek::p.

I have a super lightweight hanging thing that I use in the closet for my evening bags and shawls. When we are doing a B2B or a longer cruise it helps immensely to keep things neat and organized. I got it on clearance at Wal Mart.

Dee