Visa-free transit in Shanghai extended

TravelMore&More

Starting February 1, 2016, the visa-free transit will be extended from 3 to 6 days (144 hours).

In addition, and more relevant to the readers here, the transit was previously limited to the Shanghai airports. Now it is extended to the airports in Nanjing and Hangzhou and to trains and cruise ships.

see this article:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/legal/2016-01/26/c_1117898349.htm (Chinese)

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/metro/Shanghai-Hangzhou-Nanjing-to-offer-sixday-visafree-transit-to-51-countries/shdaily.shtml

The reference to the port is in the Chinese link.

Travelers will also not be limited to the city of Shanghai as they can travel to the provinces of Jiangsu and Zhejiang where these other airports are.

It remains to be seen how this will apply in practice to cruises. The TIMATIC database (the place where airlines get their information) has been updated but makes no mention of ships. Until this happens it will probably be impossible to board a plane and later join a cruise in Shanghai.

We'll have to wait for more details.

What we just spent $263.00 for the 2 of us to get visas for one day in Shanghai cruising in on the QM2, nothing said from consulate re this?

What we just spent $263.00 for the 2 of us to get visas for one day in Shanghai cruising in on the QM2, nothing said from consulate re this?

You apply for a visa so they give you one. They do not provide advice. Maybe you want the visa so you can visit again. They have no way to know your intentions.

Secondly, read this thread carefully, while it is now allowed, it does not mean that the cruise companies cares. They need to change their policies or they won't let you on board without a visa.

Right, obviously a typo. 10 years is the standard.

Well, 10 years is an option. I don't know how "standard" it is because someone else makes that decision. And since they've been making all sorts of changes, it's not out of the realm of possibilities they added 20 yrs, which is why I asked for clarification....

Yes Subaru

We also paid for our visas for our one day stop. I am not prepared to risk being denied boarding as per the email received from Cunard. Maybe if we were sailing in a couple of months things might be clearer.

Yes Tara Jane,

We have friends who are going to contact Cunard as they have seen as from 1st February visas will no longer be needed for transit I said get something in writing from Cunard otherwise get visa, if we had more time then I would investigate on a couple of forums they said Chinese Embassy don't keep up with the latest information which is a shame for us including you that have spent the dollars. It is all clear as mud isn't it :rolleyes:

Sure is Subaru however how would we be stranded at the wharf in brisbane for the sake of $109.50.

Did you get the email from Cunard advising we would be denied boarding without the visa?

One of our group hasn't yet obtained her visa, would be nice to know the true situation however I am not going to recommend she doesnt get one. Unfotunately I feel we have to go with Cunards orders even if they are "old hat" I'm sure cunard really dont care that 2600 passengers have spent $$$ that they really didnt need to.

When trying to explain to a cruise company that you think a visa is no longer required. send them this official link: http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=40&id=4421

Obviously, you also need to show them a copy of your flight out of Shanghai to a third country.

Thanks Travelmore too late for us as we paid $263.00 for visas for one day in Shanghai but have friends contemplating whether to get visa. Will tell them to forward to Cunard and Chinese embassy here in Australia and see their response to hopefully clear up the confusion.

We are traveling late April out of Singaore, thru various countries, disembarking in Shanghai on Princess. We are aware of the new 144 hr. visa. But today we went to the Chinese Consulate here in Los Angeles, and they knew nothing about such a visa! We wanted to get a confirmation from the Chinese visa office to show to Princess. They refused even to look at the new policy post directly from the Chinese Immigration Bureau. I printed out a copy for them to keep to further investigate. They refused. It is quite frustrating when two branches of govt. don't talk to each other (in the US as well). I am still waiting to hear from Princess on this matter.

I believe one person said that Princess wouldn't deny you boarding, but I need more concrete notification than that.

Also, I need to know from someone who has been thru the Shanghai Cruise port since Jan. 30th if there is a dedicated visa-free immigration line in arrivals at the port.

I hope we continue this discussion here as we have several weeks before we absolutely have to pay $140 p/p for a visa to go sit in the airport for 6 hours.

We are traveling late April out of Singaore, thru various countries, disembarking in Shanghai on Princess. We are aware of the new 144 hr. visa. But today we went to the Chinese Consulate here in Los Angeles, and they knew nothing about such a visa! We wanted to get a confirmation from the Chinese visa office to show to Princess. They refused even to look at the new policy post directly from the Chinese Immigration Bureau. I printed out a copy for them to keep to further investigate. They refused. It is quite frustrating when two branches of govt. don't talk to each other (in the US as well). I am still waiting to hear from Princess on this matter.

I believe one person said that Princess wouldn't deny you boarding, but I need more concrete notification than that.

Also, I need to know from someone who has been thru the Shanghai Cruise port since Jan. 30th if there is a dedicated visa-free immigration line in arrivals at the port.

I hope we continue this discussion here as we have several weeks before we absolutely have to pay $140 p/p for a visa to go sit in the airport for 6 hours.

Embassies issues visa. They are not familiar with visa exemption and will not help you on this. By the way, this is not a 144-hour visa, it is a visa exemption. Similar rules have been in places for years in others cities and embassies are never of any help on this.

I'm sorry. I'm not understanding you. The Chinese Consulate office in Los Angeles is where we go to get a visa. My question to them was whether we needed a visa or not because of the new 144 HR. rule, not wanting to be stranded in China with no visa.

I missed the time line to obtain a visa prior to flying to Hong Kong. I am really getting apprehensive about applying in Hong Kong as I only have Monday to apply and request a fast trac as ship leaves on Tuesday. I have been told so many conflicting advice.

I called Canada who said to apply in Hong Kong, others say it cannot be done.

The scenerio is this. Boarding Silver Cloud for three back to back cruises. only one of which visits main land China but home port is Hong Kong

I'm sorry. I'm not understanding you. The Chinese Consulate office in Los Angeles is where we go to get a visa. My question to them was whether we needed a visa or not because of the new 144 HR. rule, not wanting to be stranded in China with no visa.

Embassies or Consulates are not familiar with the various visa exemptions (there are many). You will never get a straight answer from them on this topic. All they know about is what is needed to get a visa. If you want an answer on this, you need to call the immigration office in Shanghai (in Mandarin only).

As already said, it is the cruise company or airlines that you need to convince, not the consulte. If the cruise company says that you need a visa or you can't get on board then that's it whether or not you will actually need one once you get there.

These sort of exemptions have been in place for years for flights and airlines are quite familiar with them. Cruise companies do not appear to want to bother to accommodate their clients.

I missed the time line to obtain a visa prior to flying to Hong Kong. I am really getting apprehensive about applying in Hong Kong as I only have Monday to apply and request a fast trac as ship leaves on Tuesday. I have been told so many conflicting advice.

I called Canada who said to apply in Hong Kong, others say it cannot be done.

The scenerio is this. Boarding Silver Cloud for three back to back cruises. only one of which visits main land China but home port is Hong Kong

If you want a quick turnaround (possibly same day), it may be best to use an agent. These guys are very reliable. As a Canadian, you'll get a 10-year multiple entry visa (the lesser of 10 years and the remaining life of your passport).

http://www.fbt-chinavisa.com.hk/

Princess just sent to its passengers booked on cruises ending Shanghai information re the new 144 hr visa exemption.

For those for whom this works, we are thankful that Princess acted and willfully posted this info for its clients.

Princess just sent to its passengers booked on cruises ending Shanghai information re the new 144 hr visa exemption.

For those for whom this works, we are thankful that Princess acted and willfully posted this info for its clients.

This is good news that it is finally sinking in.

Understand that the visa exemption is not automatic. To qualify you need to immediately come from a country different than the one that you are going to next. If the cruise is making a stop somewhere in China (like Beijing) just before or just after Shanghai, then you cannot get the exemption. As the name says, it has to be a transit.

Thanks for all this helpful info.

What about a 12-night cruise that STARTS in Hong Kong (to which we fly from our home in the USA) and includes a port call for Shanghai (and for Taiwan)--ending in Tokyo? All the other ports along the way are in Japan.

I realize HK and Taiwan are separate from China--but just wonder if those stops make a difference.

Fortunately, it's a year away (2017), so time is on our side--for now. ;)

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou

Edited by DrFUN

When it comes to the visa exemption rules for transits, Hk and Taiwan are considered as different countries and not part of China. This has been clearly determined in the past.

Thanks so much!

Does this mean that we probably would not need to get regular visas (presuming that by next year the ship will be up to date)?

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou

Hi DrFun,

Just wondering how your trip to Japan went last year? We ended up getting a last minute deal on diamond princess around Japan in July last year for 8 days followed by 10 days doing our own thing. Hubby's first time in Japan and he fell in love with the place and the people withing 24 hours. We are planning to go back for longer in Spring over the next year or so. Nice to see you posting here again.

Edited by Tara Jane