Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

Apparently tripto is suggesting it means the bow is already underwater or something. :rolleyes:

Turning on emergency lighting as a precaution, be it in one zone (and if you don't think a ship is zoned, trust me, it's not me who doesn't know what they're talking about) is hardly an indication of impending disaster.

But keep fearmongering, it's very helpful!

3:00 was before the passengers were asked to head to their staterooms. My boyfriend and I were watching a show in the theatre that was cancelled shortly after it started and we just decided to head up to our room while we figured out what to do instead. The lights were on as we walked up the stairs. We made a comment about them being on but didn't think anything of it really.

Seriously?! These are the "corners they cut" that cause you to believe the captain knowingly put the lives of thousands of people at risk?

Are you for real?

Of course I am. They're examples of how they are all about the dollar and don't put care towards their passengers, while also trying to pull the wool over their eyes. It's poor customer service. The fact that they sailed through the storm and took a risk also demonstrates lack of care for passengers. Anytime they reroute or change ports or delay, etc, etc, it's costing them a ton of money. Don't think that they aren't thinking about that bottom line. In my opinion, RC going through the storm is a very extreme example of that. They wanted to get there and stay on their timeline to avoid delays.

Glad to hear that cruiselou[emoji3] We are thinking of you and will be thrilled when you write and say that all is well and your anxiety has passed. Try to get some rest - easier said than done, I'm sure. Thinking happy thoughts for you and everyone on anthem! .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The ship was turned into the wind to best fight the storm. It appears to be heading very slowly north. The storm is pulling away, slowly. Looking at your location and the wind field data I have from weather web sites. You should start to see conditions improving very soon. Stay calm, follow the crew's instructions. I believe you have seen the worst of it.

QM2 passenger capacity, 2620.

AOTS passenger capacity, 4180.

Need I say more?

Ocean liners are built differently, absolutely, but the tradeoff of a nice narrow cutter style hull is passenger capacity. In the traditional routes most cruise ships (NOT liners) travel, that tradeoff is not justified.

Yes, you need to say more. Otherwise, I will say...

Uhhh... NO! WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

It is called LUXURY, and space = luxury. QM2 could certainly hold 4180 pax, but then it would just be another mass market cruise ship. And as to her "narrow" hull, I would not call a beam of 135 feet "narrow", as it is the SAME beam as Anthem! :D

Now, Anthem is bigger than QM2, at 167,800 tons, vs around 148,000 tons for QM2. However, Anthem has two 27,500 hp Azipods. That's 55,000 hp total. QM2 has FOUR pods that produce 157,000 horse power.

QM2 could easily carry 4180 pax, even more, and still blow the doors off of Anthem in these sea conditions, or any sea condition.

Please get your facts straight. :cool:

A lifeboat is NOT safer than the ship and will only be deployed as a last measure. It may not seem like it now but ships are BUILT for this, and much worse, weather!! Just hunker down in your cabin, know the crew is TRAINED to handle this and you are safe and will have many stories to tell. And above all...LISTEN TO THE CREW ONBOARD.....not the arm-chair captains here who have no experience or good advice except to be safe.

Edited by SakeDad

Just an update on the current situation on board. The winds are at this time 80 kts. It's still a pretty bumpy ride and I'm still not feeling completely safe, yet so much better than earlier this evening. The captain stated around 10 pm that he will update next at 08:00 in the morning as long as conditions keep improving.

Thanks for everyone's prayers and concern.

You will be fine. While not built for such conditions, she has certainly survived, which is a credit to her design. With 80 kt winds, you are just getting back into the top of the Beaufort scale, and out of hurricane winds.

Frankly, as much as I brag about ocean liners such as QE2 and QM2, I would not have wanted to suffer these conditions on either of those ships. It's hard to imagine what you went through on a ship of that type.

My kudos to you! Yes, I love rough seas, but...:eek:

No life jackets in the cabins. Beginning with the Oasis class all life jackets are stored in closets near the life boat stations to save space in passenger cabins. Passenger cabins are getting smaller (so as to add more cabins). We've all seen RC adding more cabins on new ships and adding more cabins on older ships during renovations.

Not really accurate. Anthem cabins can't be as small as Majesty or Empress. Adding new cabins doesn't mean the cabins are smaller

Edited by John&LaLa

I pray for all of you on Anthem of the Seas right now. There is a snow storm headed north to hit me tomorrow I'm Connecticut. The storm was really swirling out there they said on the news. I hope you will be out of these conditions shortly. I hope the rest of your vacation will be peaceful.

Anxious to read what details the Captain’s Announcement consist of at 0800.

Those passengers have to be exhausted from worry and all that adrenaline flowing.

The Captain and crew have to be exhausted.

I cannot imagine this being a crew member or passenger’s first cruise.

Hope some are able to get sleep as they feel the rocking improve.

Laura

Edited by Arizona Laura

Yeah... but look closer at that photo. See those green lights along the floor? Do you know what those are? What do those lights tell you about the state of ship?

They are the emergency lights. They are on a lot of the time. Most nights, when I am out late, they are on in the hallways.

How are you getting the pictures? I thought for your safety, you are supposed to stay in your cabin. Just remember if something falls and hits you on the head, it's your own fault, not RCI they warned you.

Let me just fill you in, I'm loyal to RC also (Diamond Plus and been sailing with them since 1987) but here's the facts: My 89 year old aunt's closet door flew off the hinges and was sliding across the cabin floor, she uses a walker and was afraid to try to get out of bed, she had the only key to her cabin with her as RC only gave her one (only one passenger in the cabin so one key), she pushed the medical alert button in her cabin, someone called her to ask what the problem was but after 2 hours no one showed up to help so I went out looking for a security person who could open her door. That is when I saw the ceiling and also encountered three crew members who when I told them no one responded the told me about the 2 heart attacks and that they were responding to the most severe emergencies first. So as other have said, if you don't know all the facts you shouldn't comment!

For those on this cruise I just feel terrible! I sure hope things are okay so if you wish you can continue on your vacation.. One of the things I love being on the ship are those moments enjoying how beautiful Mother Nature is, and how small we are in the scheme of things. She is also powerful and unpredictable to a degree. Look at Hurricane Sandy, she caused more destruction and damage in extremely low risk areas then could have been imagined.

I usually sail on NCL and there are life jackets under the bed. I was just recently on the Breakaway, they are there. I was under the rule of in cabin and emergency place jacket on and head to muster. Or if out and about go directly to muster where they will be provided.

We have a boat, 21 foot and the coast guard laws require certain items to be within reach at all times. Even if we are 2 minutes from the dock in the quiet bay they must be within reach. Happy to have the life jackets in the room as well..

Lots of crew members lining stairs handing cases of water and food from crew member to crew member forming supply chain up stairs to be distributed to cabins. As I'm on the ship I'll lighten up the situation, I think the supply chain is going to the suites and Costal Kitchen first.

I am not a RC cruiser, no other reason than I have worked my way through the different levels on CCL, but your post made me think. On CCL, not sure RC, you can remove the tips from your S&S card (card that you charge everything to). I would hope those that do remove the tips read your post. The crew on that ship aren't immune to sea sickness or stress. They seem to be doing a very good job and working straight through the rough seas. Probably with a frightened smile on their face. Think about the crew even on those picture perfect cruises.

So as other have said, if you don't know all the facts you shouldn't comment!

Just down on deck 4, looks like a war zone, passengers holding onto seat cushions since all the life vests are safely locked up in storage closets so that RC can fit more cabins on the ship!

We are on the Anthem right now, left NY yesterday, we sailed in a storm that intensified very quickly, Captain tried to turn ship but waited too long.

We'll be disembarking tomorrow, ship is too damaged to continue. Ceiling collapsed on deck 14.

Yes, just my opinion walking around the ship. I was on a 16,000 ton ship in the 1992 hurricane that hit Hawaii and this was far worse.

Sounds like someone should heed their own advice. :rolleyes:

Let me just fill you in, I'm loyal to RC also (Diamond Plus and been sailing with them since 1987) but here's the facts: My 89 year old aunt's closet door flew off the hinges and was sliding across the cabin floor, she uses a walker and was afraid to try to get out of bed, she had the only key to her cabin with her as RC only gave her one (only one passenger in the cabin so one key), she pushed the medical alert button in her cabin, someone called her to ask what the problem was but after 2 hours no one showed up to help so I went out looking for a security person who could open her door. That is when I saw the ceiling and also encountered three crew members who when I told them no one responded the told me about the 2 heart attacks and that they were responding to the most severe emergencies first. So as other have said, if you don't know all the facts you shouldn't comment!

Sorry, I understand now why you were out of your cabin, but why in the world would you leave an 89 year old aunt with a walker alone in her cabin in a storm like this? I sail solo, and I'm much younger than 89, and I wouldn't want to be alone. When I was on the Jan 15th cruise, and thought we might be sailing through a blizzard, everyone that I met that was sailing solo, made plans to buddy up so we wouldn't be alone. Luckily we didn't need to.

She can also just go to Guest Services and ask for an extra key to give to you.

Edited by gaylemh