Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

The letter was under my door when I got back from Waitakere. Apparently Solstice is leaving port an hour earlier so I will be picked up an hour earlier from the hotel at 1055.

The email was sent yesterday and was in my junk mail folder. I only checked there when I got back from dinner and heard of others getting it. They have staggered boarding times dependant on deck. Being on deck 3 my check in time is 4pm.

I'll be checking in along with my luggage when I'm picked up. Zenith, Elite plus and Suite Guests can board at will. This should be interesting as I'm only Elite.

Depart from your accommodation to commence your half day Auckland West Coast Afternoon Tour. Be amazed by Auckland's famous West Coast with its subtropical rainforest including magnificent Kauri trees, soaring cliffs, roaring surf and stunning black sand beaches. Walk along the deserted shore, with the sound of the sea in your ears, the wind in your hair and the salt spray on your face.

Tour highlights: Drive through Titirangi (Maori for Fringe of Heaven) - the artists’ enclave on the Manukau Harbour, The Arataki Visitor Centre at the gateway to Auckland's famous West Coast, spectacular ocean vistas in the famous Waitakere Ranges, unique indigenous flora and fauna, soaring cliffs, roaring surf and spectacular, volcanic black sand beaches; visit famous West Coast black sand beaches, ancient native rainforest including our New Zealand Christmas Trees (Pohutukawa Trees) and the amazing Kauri Trees. Tour concludes with a drop-off at your accommodation.

According to the voucher the tour is operated by 'Time Unlimited Tours'; there will be 12 of us. And thanks for reminding me that I need to take the voucher out with me today!!

The above tour was amazing. Will be heading over to Tripadvisor imminently to rate it 5 *

Ceillhe (pronounced Kayleigh), the owner, and Neil, who is an expert on ANZAC, trees and so much more, gave us an amazing afternoon in 2 vans. Cannot recommend highly enough. I found their website here. Will share the pics with you in due course.

Enjoy your cruise on solstice we did South Pacific last year onboard and had a fabulous time, we are boarding in freo on the 3rd March for the top end leg can't wait. We're in our mid to late 40s expats hailing from Bonny Scotland, and we're now hooked on cruising this will be our 3rd in 2 yrs

Breakfast is included in my package (any tips on how to take good menu pics would be appreciated.... have never acquired this skill.....) The restaurant rates highly in Tripadvisor I believe..... It doesn't disappoint.

DSCN5881.jpg

DSCN5882.jpg

DSCN5880.jpg

DSCN5879.jpg

In the interests of research you understand...... on a bed of Gluten Free toast.

DSCN5883.jpg

Outside the hotel Chinese New Year is in evidence.

DSCN5884.jpg

The mighty Civic Theatre on the corner on Queen Street, a fine survivor from cinema's Golden Age.

DSCN5885.jpg

Albert Park, a Victorian garden bordering Auckland University's campus. In 1845 this was the site of a military barracks and an original fortification wall still exists on the campus.

DSCN5888.jpg

DSCN5889.jpg

DSCN5890.jpg

The Art Deco University Clock Tower is closed so I'm not able to go up.

DSCN5892.jpg

Well if that's not an incentive I don't know what is!! Do they do trivia on Celebrity Mark? :p ;)

I'm not sure. I've never been on Celebrity so I'm very interested to see what you think about it. I'm like you and always get an inside room which is all that I need.

Wow, NorbertsNeice!. Fabulous photos of your time in my home city! You have captured brilliant photos and, dear I say, some images that I have never seen or perhaps just didn't notice....... and I've lived in Auckland all my life!:o - guess there is truth in the saying....."it pays to be a tourist in your own home town/city" lol.

Glad you have experienced our nice weather too! February is our hottest month and the weather is much more settled.

I hope you enjoy Solstice and your back to back trips. We did Solstice from Freemantle to Sydney last year and LOVED it. :)

Well if that's not an incentive I don't know what is!! Do they do trivia on Celebrity Mark? :p ;)

Definitely lots of trivia on Celebrity which we really enjoy! Love your blog Linda, I'm checking in every day. We did this cruise on Celebrity Century in 2012 with our own three week road trip in New Zealand before the cruise. Really love New Zealand. Looking forward to meeting you on the second leg of your trip on March 3rd. We leave on Feb. 15 to start our road trip from Melbourne to Adelaide and then flying to Perth. Bags are packed and we're anxious to get going, just not looking forward to the long flight. Thanks again for taking the time to blog, enjoy your cruise. Sandra

The leaves of the kawakawa bush are used to make tea and is said to help digestive problems...... they use leaves that appear to have been enjoyed by insects as that means they are ripe.

DSCN5968.jpg

DSCN5969.jpg

Sir Edmund Hillary, the renowned mountaineer, loved the area and the trail is arduous and under normal conditions can take 4 days to walk. We walked 5 minutes to a lookout.

DSCN5973.jpg

DSCN5974.jpg

DSCN5975.jpg

DSCN5976.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

The preservation of the forest is a primary focus..... were we to walk further we would need to spray our shoes to kill any potential dangerous substance.

DSCN5984.jpg

DSCN5986.jpg

For this detour we do have to have our shoes sprayed.

DSCN5987.jpg

DSCN5989.jpg

Quite probably the tallest tree I have ever seen and definitely the oldest at an estimated 1000 years..... seriously.

DSCN5990.jpg

DSCN5991.jpg

You can read more about the kauri here

I couldn't see this at the time I took the picture but there there are blooms up there.....

DSCN5992.jpg

We drive to Muriwai / Maukatia bay renowned for its black sand and its gannets..... the smell near where they roost is quite overpowering!

DSCN5995.jpg

DSCN5996.jpg

DSCN5997.jpg

DSCN6000.jpg