Since when does it cost more for a handicap room?

sassy~one

What a disgusting human being you are. Karma is a bitch!

D why, because THEY dared to speak the truth out loud?

I am still limping from being hit from behind by one 3 or 4 years ago on a cruise.

If you are on a scooter, you better stay away from me.

I think the problem is, gma who doesn't have one at home rents one to use on the ship. Fair enough. But had no idea how to operate the thing, is given no practice and is just turned loose.

For the record, my mom uses one occasionally. We took her to the mall every day to teach her how to operate the thing. It took a week for her to learn how. Now imagine if we had just turned her loose with no practice.

Her very words were, there is more to it than it seems.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I don't know why this thread turned so nasty.

I was backed into and pinned against an elevator wall behind someone using a scooter. I know they didn't do it on purpose although this was during a convention last year when people were renting them left and right. This same woman was running into people all week!

But if a person needs one then sobeit. And it's not up to a stranger to decide or assess their need. Stay clear. And those in scooters, don't forget your manners. You're not the only person trying to get around and you don't get to be obnoxious and run over people.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I am still limping from being hit from behind by one 3 or 4 years ago on a cruise.

If you are on a scooter, you better stay away from me.

I think the problem is, gma who doesn't have one at home rents one to use on the ship. Fair enough. But had no idea how to operate the thing, is given no practice and is just turned loose.

For the record, my mom uses one occasionally. We took her to the mall every day to teach her how to operate the thing. It took a week for her to learn how. Now imagine if we had just turned her loose with no practice.

Her very words were, there is more to it than it seems.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

So, because you had a bad experience with one person on a scooter, then it's okay for someone to say that they hate all scooters (and those who use them)? In my experience, most users of scooters are polite and well-mannered. I wish that I could say the same for some of the able-bodied that we ran into on our last cruise.

Are there some who could use some instruction? Of course! Are there some able-bodied who could use some instruction in manners? Absolutely. Where do you fit in?

k

No. Im just sick and tired of just because someone decides they dont like something. it should be banned :rolleyes: That goes for guns or anything else. To "outlaw" durable medical equipment that is medically necessary to most of those who use them is the most absurd thing Ive ever read. If you dont like that, sorry. My opinion.

So, because you had a bad experience with one person on a scooter, then it's okay for someone to say that they hate all scooters (and those who use them)? In my experience, most users of scooters are polite and well-mannered. I wish that I could say the same for some of the able-bodied that we ran into on our last cruise.

Are there some who could use some instruction? Of course! Are there some able-bodied who could use some instruction in manners? Absolutely. Where do you fit in?

2015-10-21-1445455426-5159507-facebook_like_button_big.jpeg

Be careful! Not everyone who is handicapped and obese is handicapped because of their obesity. Sometimes, the obesity is a a result of their handicap, or the two are mutually exclusive. Your temporary disability doesn't give you the right to be offensive to others who are disabled full-time.

Oh Lordy, the PC Police are out again. :rolleyes:

You are not rambling, and I think that you fairly represented all of those who cruise responsibly with a scooter. DH is in the same boat (pun not intended), although his disability at age 53 is due to severe arthritis and a bulging disc. We always reserve a accessible or modified cabin. He is very considerate of others when on his scooter (I wish that I could say the same of the able-bodied who walked all over him at the lido buffet and cut in front of us repeatedly for elevators).

The problem is many, if not most, scooter users are NOT responsible with a scooter. I have seen it and so have many others here. Personally, I agree with SDG and wish that scooters left in hallway would be removed from every evening and not returned until the end of the cruise. If one can't be responsible with their scooter one shouldn't be allowed to have on on board.

Not the PC police, just someone who is personally affected by this situation. You could keep your :rolleyes: to yourself, thank you.

Thank you for your opinion. But, just like mine, it's simply your opinion, nothing else. And as long as I live in a free country I'll keep my :rolleyes: wherever I choose. ;)

The problem is many, if not most, scooter users are NOT responsible with a scooter. I have seen it and so have many others here. Personally, I agree with SDG and wish that scooters left in hallway would be removed from every evening and not returned until the end of the cruise. If one can't be responsible with their scooter one shouldn't be allowed to have on on board.

The comments that created such a backlash were not directed at those who leave scooters in the hallway. They were directed at scooter users in general.

IMO, scooters belong in the stateroom, per the rules set forth by Carnival. This is for everyone's safety and to remain in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.

FWIW, we always (as I stated before) travel in an accessible or modified cabin so that we can do exactly that.

Regardless of which cabin you are in you will not be permitted to park your scooter in the hallway due to public safety concerns and regulations.

We don't get to cruise often, but I have been on at least 3 cruises where scooters were left in the halls, and I was almost run down by folks on scooters on the public decks as well. I wished they would have been required to park these things in their cabins. My daughter had a cabin at the end of a hallway, and had to climb over a scooter belonging to the person across the hall to get or out of her cabin.

Also, OP, if you knew you were planning to use a scooter and had some needs for a handicap accessible cabin, why didn't you book one on ANY deck to begin with? But at least now you know to request one if you need it and that cabin prices increase as the deck #s go up.

There is definitely some nastiness on this thread, as well as a lot of justifiable, real emotion, and also some common sense being demonstrated. There are obviously very strong opinions on all sides of this issue. I agree with those that say compassion and empathy is required for others - from all of us.

Here are some truths as I see them:

• Scooters parked in the hallways are not only breaking Carnival's rule, but are a hazard and an inconvenience to many. It is selfish and inconsiderate to leave your scooter in the hall.
  • I have personally witnessed able-bodied people being obnoxious and rude on cruises, including shoving in front of people with walkers/on scooters/in wheelchairs. It is reprehensible.:mad:
  • This one I have kept to myself for a long time, but have just been rubbed wrong one too many times now and must finally tell: DH and I personally witnessed a person that has posted on this very thread, who was morbidly obese (not a judgment, just a fact, mentioned because it contributed to the maneuverability of the scooter and the space that was taken up in the elevator that said person was backing out of), run over a lady's foot on their scooter and not even apologize. The CC member on the scooter knew what they had done, as the woman screamed out in shock and pain. The CC member just zoomed away without so much as an apologetic glance at the injured lady. This act was shocking in its rudeness. ETA: I will not mention the person's screen name or any hint at id. The person knows who they are.
  • Rudeness and selfishness happens on both sides (scooter drivers and walkers). If we all just try to be decent to each other and employ a little empathy, the whole situation could be greatly improved.
  • Also, as others have noted: scooter driving instruction pre-cruise would probably help avoid a lot of injuries.

Edited by ShakyBeef

Scooters have very little to do with being disabled and lots to do with marketing. They are not a necessity for those who have trouble walking or standing...there are many more items that do the job better.

When I go to the grocery store it is rarely a disabled person who chooses to use the scooter-cart. The person just walked from his/her car and plopped down on the scooter.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I too am able to walk into a grocery store. Usually it is with the assistance of a grocery cart. Disabilities are not always visible. If you looked at me you'd never know I have one. But the inoperable pain I experience on a 24/7 basis makes it necessary for me to use a scooter.

My observation since I started using one is that the rest op the pedestrians totally disregard my existence and just walk right in front of me. They would never walk that close to a person of foot without expecting a collision. Granted my scooter stops pretty fast but not exactly on a dime. Still I have never run into anyone.

Why you think there may be a product that does a better job I don't know but I suppose your expertise on the subject warrants your statement. There isn't another product that gives me freedom to go places I previously could not. Just because you are walking doesn't mean you shouldn't be as courteous to a scooter user as another pedestrian.

Oh and by the way I think that smart a$$ know-it-alls should be outlawed.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I too am able to walk into a grocery store. Usually it is with the assistance of a grocery cart. Disabilities are not always visible. If you looked at me you'd never know I have one. But the inoperable pain I experience on a 24/7 basis makes it necessary for me to use a scooter.

My observation since I started using one is that the rest op the pedestrians totally disregard my existence and just walk right in front of me. They would never walk that close to a person of foot without expecting a collision. Granted my scooter stops pretty fast but not exactly on a dime. Still I have never run into anyone.

Why you think there may be a product that does a better job I don't know but I suppose your expertise on the subject warrants your statement. There isn't another product that gives me freedom to go places I previously could not. Just because you are walking doesn't mean you shouldn't be as courteous to a scooter user as another pedestrian.

Oh and by the way I think that smart a$$ know-it-alls should be outlawed.

Just like the way some people driving in cars don't 'respect the personal space' of a motorcyclist. This behaviour can and does lead to injuries (and deaths, in the case of cars vs. motorcycles).

In regards to booking a handicapped cabin.....I booked a cruise for this coming Saturday back in December. There were no handicapped cabins available. We don't plan at a long distance so I expect they will already be booked by someone else who needs them. There aren't many on a ship. They will move people out of those cabins if they need them but I have a feeling people fib about the actual necessity of needing one. So with that in mind, and knowing my scooter takes up a considerable amount of room in an already tiny cabin, we book a suite. I would never leave my scooter in the hall. First of all I own mine and I don't trust it out in the hallway, nor do I want to inconvenience anyone by its presence. I am also discreet about where I park it around the ship. I can walk a short distance and don't need to ride it all the way thru the dining room etc. It is parked in an out of the way place. I am hoping that I will be capable of walking thru the buffet line after I park it. Last cruise I could but my condition has worsened some so time will tell.

All I ask of other cruisers is that you allow me to take my turn when an available elevator becomes available and don't run in front of me t take my place. You just may be in this situation yourselves some day.......but I hope not. The pain nor the inconvenience is fun.

Just like the way some people driving in cars don't 'respect the personal space' of a motorcyclist. This behaviour can and does lead to injuries (and deaths, in the case of cars vs. motorcycles).

On this we agree. My husband rides a motorcycle occasionally and I worry all the time about just what you said.

But I doubt my scooter is going to cause a death or head injury.......it doesn't go that fast. LOL

On this we agree. My husband rides a motorcycle occasionally and I worry all the time about just what you said.

But I doubt my scooter is going to cause a death or head injury.......it doesn't go that fast. LOL

I'm not trying to equate the seriousness of the injuries between the two situations, but rather, the behaviour of the pedestrians and the car drivers in both situations. I think it's a similar obliviousness/disregard going on in both situations.

I'm just a car (SUV) driver, not a motorcyclist, but I am aware and considerate of motorcyclists that share the road with me, just as I am aware and considerate of the scooter drivers that share the cruise with me. It doesn't come without effort on my part - I have to be aware of my surroundings and not too wrapped up in my own wants and needs. I just wish all in both groups would work a little at being more aware and considerate.:o Man, I sound so flower-child, peace-and-love dorky.:rolleyes:

With all due respect! When my daughter got run over by the lady and her out of control scooter. She could have hit her head on any part of the ramp, railings, etc. She didn't but could have. Crazy accidents happen all the time.

I'm not trying to equate the seriousness of the injuries between the two situations, but rather, the behaviour of the pedestrians and the car drivers in both situations. I think it's a similar obliviousness/disregard going on in both situations.

I'm just a car (SUV) driver, not a motorcyclist, but I am aware and considerate of motorcyclists that share the road with me, just as I am aware and considerate of the scooter drivers that share the cruise with me. It doesn't come without effort on my part - I have to be aware of my surroundings and not too wrapped up in my own wants and needs. I just wish all in both groups would work a little at being more aware and considerate.:o Man, I sound so flower-child, peace-and-love dorky.:rolleyes:

I would imagine that peoples behavior would probably be the same whether they are in a car or on a scooter, motorcycle or bicycle. The people who are generally considerate will be no matter what vehicle they are in. Likewise the inconsiderate ones will also be the same no matter their mode of transportation or if they are walking. People are just "all about me" nowdays and lots of parents don't teach manners which is where it all starts.

By the way you sound like a very considerate person. I hope I cruise with you or people like you someday.

I am honestly surprised this thread is allowed to continue while other on-topic threads get moved and deleted.

Although this thread took a major turn from it's OP (as CC threads will often do), it is still on a pertinent topic that is worth discussing here. If we can all keep it civil, I see no reason why it should be deleted.

I am honestly surprised this thread is allowed to continue while other on-topic threads get moved and deleted.
Well there has been a lot of venom expressed but this is an important rarely discussed issue . I don't believe it is off-topic . I hope it doesn't Edited by richstowe
disappear

Although this thread took a major turn from it's OP (as CC threads will often do), it is still on a pertinent topic that is worth discussing here. If we can all keep it civil, I see no reason why it should be deleted.

The thread may have taken a turn but the original question was answered in the first few posts. Only after that did it venture into the reasons why those HC rooms are so important.

In January the Sunshine did something cool for muster drill. Those that required special assistance (ie canes, wheelchairs and scooters) were allowed to go into the Limelight Lounge with one person accompanying them. The crew members checked them in and did the same talk and demonstration those on deck heard and saw. Then the room was dismissed a few minutes before the outside group so there was room in the elevators for those who were unable to climb stairs without inconveniencing the able-bodied. It was a win-win for everyone.

The thread may have taken a turn but the original question was answered in the first few posts. Only after that did it venture into the reasons why those HC rooms are so important.

In January the Sunshine did something cool for muster drill. Those that required special assistance (ie canes, wheelchairs and scooters) were allowed to go into the Limelight Lounge with one person accompanying them. The crew members checked them in and did the same talk and demonstration those on deck heard and saw. Then the room was dismissed a few minutes before the outside group so there was room in the elevators for those who were unable to climb stairs without inconveniencing the able-bodied. It was a win-win for everyone.

Right, the OP's question was answered, and then the conversation took a (still on-topic) turn in the organic way that online conversations often will. I see nothing wrong with it.

It does sound like that muster drill was handled well in regards to able-bodied / disabled.:)