Booking Next Cruise on-board. Have I made a mistake?

Aus ATC

Hello - seeking the collective wisdom of Cruise Critic here.

On a recent cruise we made a "Next Cruise Booking" - 14 nights JS on Voyager in April 2017 (SYD - SIN). In doing that we paid a reduced deposit and received $200 OBC for the cruise we were on - so far so good.

On return home, we had a further think about the cruise we booked, and decided a different cruise would be better - 13 nights South Pacific SYD-SYD. Similar price. Today I rang to change the booking.

1. Firstly I was told by the agent I could not change the booking and get the current offers (same offers we booked with - BOGOHO and $500 OBC). I insisted we were told by the agent on the ship that the bookings could be changed without penalty. The agent took it to the "team leader" and came back and all was (apparently) good. So the change (in fact processed as a cancellation and new booking) was progressed and the deposit transferred.

2. I arrived home tonight to the relevant emails to find a AUD$538 cancellation charge against the original booking. There was no mention of this when speaking with the agent when I changed the booking.

When booking on-board I was clear in my enquiries of the agent regarding changing the booking etc (that we could). Indeed I was given an information sheet which states - in part: "Remember your additional benefits include: Flexibility - Change your reservation prior to final payment"

My question is - has anyone had similar experiences, and is the AUD$538.00 an accounting trick in the system that can be ignored, or something that will "disappear" from my Credit Card if I do nothing? Should I be proactive in sorting it out.

Thanks,

Aus ATC

Edited by Aus ATC

Hello - seeking the collective wisdom of Cruise Critic here.

On a recent cruise we made a "Next Cruise Booking" - 14 nights JS on Voyager in April 2017 (SYD - SIN). In doing that we paid a reduced deposit and received $200 OBC for the cruise we were on - so far so good.

On return home, we had a further think about the cruise we booked, and decided a different cruise would be better - 13 nights South Pacific SYD-SYD. Similar price. Today I rang to change the booking.

1. Firstly I was told by the agent I could not change the booking and get the current offers (same offers we booked with - BOGOHO and $500 OBC). I insisted we were told by the agent on the ship that the bookings could be changed without penalty. The agent took it to the "team leader" and came back and all was (apparently) good. So the change (in fact processed as a cancellation and new booking) was progressed and the deposit transferred.

2. I arrived home tonight to the relevant emails to find a AUD$538 cancellation charge against the original booking. There was no mention of this when speaking with the agent when I changed the booking.

When booking on-board I was clear in my enquiries of the agent regarding changing the booking etc (that we could). Indeed I was given an information sheet which states - in part: "Remember your additional benefits include: Flexibility - Change your reservation prior to final payment"

My question is - has anyone had similar experiences, and is the AUD$538.00 an accounting trick in the system that can be ignored, or something that will "disappear" from my Credit Card if I do nothing? Should I be proactive in sorting it out.

Thanks,

Aus ATC

I am based in UK and had a similar problem. The offer on board the ship seemed to be a no lose deal. Book your cruise and you can change it at any time without any penalties.

When I made enquiries about making a change, I was told that there was a fee and the special offers were not transferrable.

In my case, lesson learnt is to keep hold of the flyer with the offer and read the terms and conditions carefully. The problem is the US have different (more favourable) terms and conditions than the rest of us.

My suggestion to you is to query the charge by email so you get a written response which you keep for future reference.

In my case, they agreed not to charge for changing the cruise but the offer was not transferrable. I could however take advantage of any UK offer available at the time. I needed to jump through a few hoops to get to this stage and the travel agents were useless.

Edited by yuvraj

Sounds like our experiences were similar. You reference the USA conditions - an interesting point, as the Next Cruise Ambassador (or whatever she called herself) also told us that the "price drop guarantees" that the USA enjoy were also coming "down under". I hope to be able to test that out later (though happy with the current deal).

It seems that having different conditions of sale in different markets is causing some issues. I did keep my flyer! and the idea of emailing is a good one. I might even send a scanned copy....

Did these cruises have OBC on the future cruise that was not lost or reduced?

Not at all, all was the same. I was told at the time of changing that I couldn't have the current deal with the one I originally signed with though (ie onboard credit, crown and anchor balcony credit).

Not at all, all was the same. I was told at the time of changing that I couldn't have the current deal with the one I originally signed with though (ie onboard credit, crown and anchor balcony credit).

Thanks, good to hear.

• 2 weeks later...

An update of sorts. Following yuvraj's suggestion I wrote to Royal Carribean. Including a copy of the flyer provided on board. After 1 week, no response so I sent a "prompt". After 3 more days - nothing.

So I rang the customer service line again and was advised that the cancellation charge on the invoice was a "fault" of the accounting system and that no charge was payable. To confirm that I sent a 3rd email including that information, and including the name of the consultant and the time of the call - hopefully that will be the end of it.

Pretty poor form on 2 counts:

1 - sending dodgy invoices that only cause concern.

2 - not responding to emails in any way.

Edited by Aus ATC