Back From the Gem Today

2boyzmom

I am tired and having PCD (post cruise depression) so I will write quickly.

Arrived at the port around 11:30 (2 hours in traffic) and found out there was a delay in boarding. NY terminal seemed a lot more dysfunctional than our past experiences. I guess the delay really backed things up. We had booked a non-haven suite (2 bedroom) so were lucky to board right away which was around 12:30 or 1. We went to Cagneys for lunch which was perfect.

Passengers- most families like us from the tri state area (it was school break). 1000 kids onboard but they were fine. In fact everyone was very nice and polite. No issues other than chair hog.

Room-Room 11006 was very nice and had new carpet. The bed was heavenly. Our butler Rush was excellent and concierge Francesco a sweetheart. We never really used the concierge since we had already made our reservations.

Food-We had booked all our dining 100 days out so had no issues, but other suite peeps thought they would walk on and get what they wanted. Well, no way- doesn't happen when the UDP was available a year ago (everyone pre-booked specialty's) so just be warned to book your dinners ahead of time so you wont be disappointed. Food was great everywhere except I noticed Osheehans could not get the appetizers out before entrée. Oh- good news- Osheehans still has pot pie:). Honestly we really did not need specialty dining for 10 nights. We cancelled a few and went to main dining room for some meals. They were very good and never felt rushed or delayed in any venue.

Booze- our biggest issue that they did not have enough bartenders at sailaway party (Spinnaker) or cold sea days when only a few bars were open. We landed up tipping a nice waiter up front and he catered to us all night. He took care of us the entire cruise by the pool on hot days too. Unfortunately we are beer drinkers and the entire tap system was broken at Maltings so there was no tap beer. Nor was there tap beer at the pool bar. We found a few drafts at Osheehans ands but they ran out of Newcastle around day 6 so only had 3 US beers available on draft.

Weather- fantastic! A bit rocky on day 2 and return but waves only about 8 feet.

Chair Hogs - Galore!! I was up at 7:15 on sea day 4 and some lady reserved 18 chairs!!!! OMG- she even put her crap at a table too. I was sickened by it. I had 2 and sat my butt there until 3pm. My husband went up there on return sea days and she was doing it again!! I don't know what to say except it is tolerated and ignored. They definitely need a new process.

Entertainment- Prism band excellent along with Leo and Reggae band. Tenors of Rock show excellent. Magika (magician) was not very good and a bit cheesy.

Ports- Definitely recommend Numero Uno Beach Club (Pamelas) in San Juan. It was a great beach day with 6 drinks, lunch, chair and umbrella for $45.00. Google it for more info but it was well worth it.

St. Thomas- 6 ships in port. Went on thriller boat ride which was excellent than a cab to coki beach. Best snorkeling spot but crowded.

St.Martin- Orient beach for the day. Unfortunately they ruined the south part of the beach where we loved to hang out. Orange Fever is gone along with some other little beach bars and replaced them with concrete structures. We went to bikini beach on the north end which was fine and the kids had a ball. $10 a chair and drinks were reasonable.

Tortola- Excursion to Jost Van Dyke. This was our 3rd time there and each time it's perfect. They only take 50 people so it books quickly. Honestly 3 hours is enough and we were back on the ship by noon. Drinking painkillers at 8am so we were ready for a little nap upon return.

All I can say is the trip was fabulous. Unfortunately I received a call that my mother was ill and hospitalized ( I'm the nurse in the family) so it put a damper on the trip for me but when I realized it was not horrible (infection only) I perked up a bit. It's just scary dealing with this in the middle of the ocean! Food, weather, service was great and cannot wait to get back on the sea next year !

Edited by 2boyzmom

I am tired and having PCD (post cruise depression) so I will write quickly.

Arrived at the port around 11:30 (2 hours in traffic) and found out there was a delay in boarding. NY terminal seemed a lot more dysfunctional than our past experiences. I guess the delay really backed things up. We had booked a non-haven suite (2 bedroom) so were lucky to board right away which was around 12:30 or 1. We went to Cagneys for lunch which was perfect.

Passengers- most families like us from the tri state area (it was school break). 1000 kids onboard but they were fine. In fact everyone was very nice and polite. No issues other than chair hog.

Room-Room 11006 was very nice and had new carpet. The bed was heavenly. Our butler Rush was excellent and concierge Francesco a sweetheart. We never really used the concierge since we had already made our reservations.

Food-We had booked all our dining 100 days out so had no issues, but other suite peeps thought they would walk on and get what they wanted. Well, no way- doesn't happen when the UDP was available a year ago (everyone pre-booked specialty's) so just be warned to book your dinners ahead of time so you wont be disappointed. Food was great everywhere except I noticed Osheehans could not get the appetizers out before entrée. Oh- good news- Osheehans still has pot pie:). Honestly we really did not need specialty dining for 10 nights. We cancelled a few and went to main dining room for some meals. They were very good and never felt rushed or delayed in any venue.

Booze- our biggest issue that they did not have enough bartenders at sailaway party (Spinnaker) or cold sea days when only a few bars were open. We landed up tipping a nice waiter up front and he catered to us all night. He took care of us the entire cruise by the pool on hot days too. Unfortunately we are beer drinkers and the entire tap system was broken at Maltings so there was no tap beer. Nor was there tap beer at the pool bar. We found a few drafts at Osheehans ands but they ran out of Newcastle around day 6 so only had 3 US beers available on draft.

Weather- fantastic! A bit rocky on day 2 and return but waves only about 8 feet.

Chair Hogs - Galore!! I was up at 7:15 on sea day 4 and some lady reserved 18 chairs!!!! OMG- she even put her crap at a table too. I was sickened by it. I had 2 and sat my butt there until 3pm. My husband went up there on return sea days and she was doing it again!! I don't know what to say except it is tolerated and ignored. They definitely need a new process.

Entertainment- Prism band excellent along with Leo and Reggae band. Tenors of Rock show excellent. Magika (magician) was not very good and a bit cheesy.

Ports- Definitely recommend Numero Uno Beach Club (Pamelas) in San Juan. It was a great beach day with 6 drinks, lunch, chair and umbrella for $45.00. Google it for more info but it was well worth it.

St. Thomas- 6 ships in port. Went on thriller boat ride which was excellent than a cab to coki beach. Best snorkeling spot but crowded.

St.Martin- Orient beach for the day. Unfortunately they ruined the south part of the beach where we loved to hang out. Orange Fever is gone along with some other little beach bars and replaced them with concrete structures. We went to bikini beach on the north end which was fine and the kids had a ball. $10 a chair and drinks were reasonable.

Tortola- Excursion to Jost Van Dyke. This was our 3rd time there and each time it's perfect. They only take 50 people so it books quickly. Honestly 3 hours is enough and we were back on the ship by noon. Drinking painkillers at 8am so we were ready for a little nap upon return.

All I can say is the trip was fabulous. Unfortunately I received a call that my mother was ill and hospitalized ( I'm the nurse in the family) so it put a damper on the trip for me but when I realized it was not horrible (infection only) I perked up a bit. It's just scary dealing with this in the middle of the ocean! Food, weather, service was great and cannot wait to get back on the sea next year !

2boyzmom,

Thanks for your review. We were on the Gem for the 1/22-2/1 sailing and the highlight for us was the excursion to Jost Van Dyke.

We are sailng the Gem again in December out of San Juan and will be in suite 11006.

We are taking my wife's parents on the cruise and wanted them to have the master bedroom so we are going to 'rough' it in the 2nd bedroom. I have seen videos, but haven't seen one of the couch made into a bed in the second bedroom. What size is the bed ? Twin, full, queen ?

Any info would be appreciated.

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

2boyzmom,

Thanks for your review. We were on the Gem for the 1/22-2/1 sailing and the highlight for us was the excursion to Jost Van Dyke.

We are sailng the Gem again in December out of San Juan and will be in suite 11006.

We are taking my wife's parents on the cruise and wanted them to have the master bedroom so we are going to 'rough' it in the 2nd bedroom. I have seen videos, but haven't seen one of the couch made into a bed in the second bedroom. What size is the bed ? Twin, full, queen ?

Any info would be appreciated.

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

My teenager says it was a queen. The couch also opens up in the living room. It was a bit firm but I think they can bring you an "egg crate" mattress topper. Loved this location. Quiet!

We were on the same cruise. I will try to post my own review later on. Can't even imagine what the pool situation would have been like if the slide wasn't working

I agree about the lack of bartenders at the sailaway and on cold days. But I was pleasantly surprised about how relatively easy it was getting a drink on most other occasions.

Best weather I've ever had leaving from NY. Really was glad with how lucky we got.

It was ridiculous as was that woman. On DAY 3 I got there by 8:30 and had no problem getting some great seats by the pool. Next day had to move two seats where they grill by the pool. For the port days we got lucky and found seats without a problem after returning from our excursions.

Entertainment- Prism band excellent along with Leo and Reggae band...

Really? I thought Prism was absolutely horrible. Never saw a band read the songs off an iPad before. Loved the reggae band New Generation. They at least performed their songs from memory.

We were in Suite 11018 and agree with all your comments....great ship and great time! I too was annoyed at the chair hogs.... I couldn't get a chair for my special needs son and my 84yr old mother! For the price we paid for the suites you would think it would include pool chairs...lol!

No one tossed her stuff on the ground or gave the towels back to the attendant?

I know some folks don't like confrontations, but all that goes out the window when it's time to get a seat by the pool. I give people their 60 minutes as outlined by the rules of the ship, but once that time expires the seat is mine and they can bugger off if they come back and say I took their seat.

Thanks so much for your review! I'm really curious- did 18 people actually show up and use the chairs? Even so- that's really excessive.

The one day I checked the chairs did get up being used. Not sure if it was from her party or other people just took them

Where on the ship is osheehans? Didn't see it on the deck layout map

On 8, right above the Atrium

The one day I checked the chairs did get up being used. Not sure if it was from her party or other people just took them

On 8, right above the Atrium

Thanks - the ships deck maps on the icruise app must be wildly inaccurate, doesn't have it on there at all

Thanks so much for your review! I'm really curious- did 18 people actually show up and use the chairs? Even so- that's really excessive.

It was usually Moms and their kids, but never any group of 18. A few men came and went. Max I saw was 8 or so...

I just came off the Gem today .Yesterday ,in the daily there was a listing of a $10 sale in the Orchid from 9:30AM to 2PM .There were signs on Deck 7 stating a $10 sale .However ,they were selling tee shirts at 2 for $20 but if you wanted top buy one shirt it was $15 .

In my opinion it should have been $10 .

I just came off the Gem today .Yesterday ,in the daily there was a listing of a $10 sale in the Orchid from 9:30AM to 2PM .There were signs on Deck 7 stating a $10 sale .However ,they were selling tee shirts at 2 for $20 but if you wanted top buy one shirt it was $15 .

In my opinion it should have been $10 .

I agree with you on the tee shirt price. Last year on Carnival it was the same thing of buying two shirts to get them at $10 each. Lucky for us the DD and I each wanted one shirt so it worked out.

Going on the Gem for the first time in early May out of NYC.

Is there a"White Night" and if so, what happens, how many passengers actually participate?

Can you go directly to your cabin when board (Platinum level)?

Thanks!

MARAPRINCE

Going on the Gem for the first time in early May out of NYC.

Is there a"White Night" and if so, what happens, how many passengers actually participate?

Can you go directly to your cabin when board (Platinum level)?

Thanks!

MARAPRINCE

Hey Maraprince, There was a white hot party when we were on the Gem about a month ago. It was in spinnaker and it was a pretty good party with many people dancing.

We could not get in our room till about 1 or 1:30.

Have fun the Gem is a great ship and imho a perfect size ship.

Rob

Edited by mrrobby

Looking for remarks from NCL Gem 2/21-3/2 Cruise. Can someone tell me how can I locate that thread. Appreciate any help. :(

I was on that cruise and the roll call. And in my opinion:

It was a fantastic cruise. I have no complaints regarding food, service, drinks, staff, chair hogs, etc etc. My only gripe is that the time in Tortola was too short.:)

I was on that cruise and the roll call. And in my opinion:

It was a fantastic cruise. I have no complaints regarding food, service, drinks, staff, chair hogs, etc etc. My only gripe is that the time in Tortola was too short.:)

In my opinion the food was good ,service excellent ,staff excellent ,entertainment fair (staff singers ,dancers and Leo were great).

I agree re the amount of time in Tortola.