All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Anita, I've thought all along that you were Soft Autumn and Yin Natural. Lace-inset tops and everything I wish I could wear. Take a look at a Sundance catalog or website for inspiration. Yummy clothes. I couldn't wear the drawstring vest but can see it working for you like a charm.

I was told to fill my v-necks with a necklace, so yesterday I wore a necklace bought on a clearance table. It must have hit my sweet spot, because I had five complements by the end of the day and only one was from my hubs. It wasn't especially memorable, but I think the aqua and turquoise stones with the gold tone chain played against my skin color well. I love when I get this stuff right!!!

Before I continue, I wanted to tell you, Anita, that I think your recent Target purchases seem very ideal for you. I find myself picking up a lot of things at Target. The C9 line from Champion that they carry is fabulous for the gym. Well fitting, long lasting and well priced. I just can't get myself to spend a lot of money for clothes to sweat in, lol. :p At the same time, I try to find styles I like because earth colors in athletic wear are very hard to come by. When and if you do, you're stuck trying to figure out what to wear with it. An example would be the cropped tights I have from Eddie Bauer. They are wonderful earthy green, but I have trouble finding anything that looks right with them. I have a somewhat muted orange top so that is what I pair with them.

The knit tops carried by Target are one of the basics of my wardrobe. Merona is great. I believe when I was in there the other day, the name of the line had changed. I really think they are still the same Merona items from before, but they changed the name. I will have to look it up. They had a cute v-neck knit top that was a little longer in the back than the front, but because it had a baggier, oversized styling to it, I went down a size. I love it, but I wish the length was a little longer so I'm still deciding.

I'm wearing a short sleeved knit top right now from Target.

That vest seems totally you.

I haven't had a chance to go through all this info on style, and I'm very curious what I will end up as. Anita, I know you mentioned that natural was probably not part of my description. I'm so intrigued, but it will be a week or so before I get back to that.

It's so nice to get those complements! Especially when you are wearing something new...not just newly purchased...but a new concept, I mean. A new look.

Sundance is a great catalog. I don't know how I got on the list...but I did get it at our last address. I took a look at the website...there are so many things there that are appealing. Some even have the double whammy of being that rare find of good color and good style/silhouette. Things I think I've learned that I should avoid:

Symmetrical pattern...like this one. I'm attracted to this...but it's a bit off on me. I've learned that an irregular or Asymmetrical pattern...like THIS one is much more me. Both of THESE are really good...for the same asymmetrical pattern...and the silhouette of these long sleeves is really good on me as well.

Overall...I think my fav top might be this one:

https://www.sundancecatalog.com/product/mindy+top.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=3&refType=

I like it better than this one...but this is my girl I've pegged for a YinN too...maybe even a Soft Autumn:

https://www.sundancecatalog.com/product/crossroads+blouse.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=4&refType=

Here she is looking not as nice in black with waist definition in a much less flattering place with too much fabric in the peplum like part of the shirt.

And AGAIN, this is a kind of shirt that I'd be attracted to but would be unhappy wearing...even when the model wears it they have to do the tuck in to show that she has a waist.

Not that white is great...but this silhouette is one I've tried in the past, thinking that it was flattering, when really...I need to be going for this one.

Sorry if this is beyond boring to read my little analysis here...but I've been picking apart this catalog and this has helped me gather my thoughts.

So where was I when talking about my cruise? I think I mentioned the first formal night, when I wore the teal dress. It's a great dress. I'm proud of the weight I've lost, but wearing an unforgiving fabric also reminds me that I have work to do!

Let me back track a moment. The first night was sailaway. 2nd day was St. Thomas/St. John, and also formal night.

3rd day was a sea day, and I wore that gold swing dress. I just love that dress.

That brings me to the 4th day, which was Curacao. I was very taken in by how beautiful Curacao is. I love all the colorful houses, the moving bridge...and that curacao factory we had samples at, lol.

Here is what we did that day: we had originally decided to explore on foot. Just prior to cruising though, I had heard about a great tour call Irie Tours. They had a few different options to choose from. The tour we chose drove us around to see things such as the bridge and we had a stop at the curacao factory. I wish we had more time there. I was enjoying the history and would have liked more time to stop. If I go again, I plan to make another stop there where I can take my time.

The tour included a stop where we could go to the beach or the aquarium. We chose the aquarium first, and then were going to heard over to the beach. the aquarium is a very neat place to see. We then stopped at a little outdoor restaurant between the beach and the aquarium called The Hemingway, or something similar to that. OMG...we were there forever, and never got to the beach! And I don't mean that in a good way. It was not crowded, but it literally took a good 40 minutes to close to an hour to get a little grilled ham and cheese sandwich.

I don't know if I mentioned this already, but I always like to ask where the locals eat, and try to find good authentic food for the area I'm in. This wasn't one of those places, unfortunately. But we still had a fun day. When we got back, we wanted to cross the bridge by foot.

Curacao was date night when we got back to the ship. We went to Giovanni's, and I wore my new yellow print dress from White House Black Market. One thing I need to do down the road is remember that RCI now has a white/Caribbean night. This dress would have been perfect for that, I think. At least for the wardrobe I have? There is another tropical print dress I have that would work also. But in any event, I wore this dress for dinner and really liked it. I felt very pretty in it. I had it taken in a lot, because there was just so much fabric. Now that I have seen pictures of me in it, I feel like I didn't seem to have a shape. Once I post pictures, I would love to get all of your comments on it.

The 4th day was Aruba. So many people have told me that they think Aruba is one of the prettiest places to go, and I have to say I agree. Bright an early we headed to Palm Beach. We hopped on the bus, and it's $5.00 for a two way ticket, as they refer to it as. It allows you to use it twice, so you can go round trip to the beach, or simply hop on and go to one place, then go to another. It was very easy to do.

When we arrived at Palm Beach, there were plenty of places to get a lounger and umbrella. For two loungers with the umbrella, it's $10.00. There is food, bathrooms and drinks to purchase. The choices were very basic, but the pricing was good. A cheeseburger, fries and soda was $10.00, and a grilled chicken sandwich with fries and a soda was more... I think $14.00?

I'm really glad we got there early, because a lot of people who got their later were not able to get one of those big umbrellas - I'm not using the right name - but the shade was so necessary.

Next up, I'll tell you about the water!

Anita, the first bunch of dresses in your post I love. And you know I don't really like or wear prints a lot. I would totally wear these. But the others are so you, but not so me. Isn't that funny to say???

But now I need to go over to that site, lol.

I should mention that the 2nd and 3rd tops are my favorites. The black top to me, is a perfect lesson that black doesn't look great on everyone. It totally takes her over, don't you think?

The two wrap shirts I'm drawn to. I honestly need to see pictures of myself so that I understand which works. I am drawn to the drapey one the most.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Anita, I really like this:

https://www.sundancecatalog.com/product/latitudes+tee.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=2&refType=

I like this tank too.

https://www.sundancecatalog.com/product/new+vanessa+sleeveless+tank.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=5&refType=

I would say no surprises there. I would really like to research this style thing.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Laurie...that yellow shirt is really nice. It's a good shape for YinN and the asymmetry of the hem is in the Natural wheelhouse, I think.

That sleeveless seems like you to me. It's so reminiscent of several of your formal dresses in my mind. I think it might be a little too fitted to be the best for me...I think it would look really good on you though...

I think I would get a bunch of wear out of those print knit long sleeves. I might have to gift myself with them as a reward. I was motivated to go to a fitness class of some sort today...DH is traveling...DS in school for a long day (drop off before 9, pick up after 7)...and I wanted to get out and move. I looked for Zumba but nothing during the day...and it sounded a bit too energetic...so I found a yoga class and it was really good. I was able to go for free as a first time visitor...and the studio is offering $30 for 30 days of unlimited classes...so I can check out the other classes now to see what others might be good.

Maybe I'll make a plan for that 30 days...and then gift myself with a shirt at the end. Maybe it would even be on sale by then...

Love reading more about your cruise Laurie!

Sundance has some really nice looking things. I wonder about the quality. Do they even have a brick and mortar store? Hm.

Stretch jersey not very forgiving. Especially when photographed. Something about the way that the stretch in the material picks up the light. And when it's fitted, it can highlight any imperfection is what is underneath...whether thats a natural bump or a an underwear/bra strap bump. I wonder if you are kind of seeing yourself in something like that for the first time, in a way. You usually wear such structured fabrics and styles...that teal jersey is a big departure from what I think of as more of your typical formal dress. Don't focus on the negative...the pictures you posted before looked so nice.

I'm baack! For real! I had some catching up to do. My right (distance) eye is back to 20/15, but I may need an adjustment to the cataract implant on my left (closeup/reading) eye. I'll know in about a month

Anita, I love the first asymmetrical shirt (for me). I can totally see you in that peasant style blouse (reminds me of what we wore in the 60's! All flowy & drapey).

Laurie, you might be the last cruise to see St Thomas for quite a long time. Our friends, that own Bumpas, I'm not sure that they'll rebuild or not; feel so badly for them

Loving your trip report. We always do the bus to Palm Beach too! Cost has gone up, but soooo worth it. Loved the Curacao factory. We have an overnight there in December

Good to be back! Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Anita, I SO loved your analysis of those clothes in the catalog. The first symmetrical top looks so much like my favorite Lucky brand tops. I've learned that symmetrical is ok for me as long as it is vertical and the pattern placement isn't awkward. The asymmetrical ones are right up my alley though... anything with a diagonal makes the eye move around and I find they are super flattering. I think I look like a big slab of torso in a solid color, though on Laurie solids are wonderful.

I was thinking about the top you were wearing when I saw you in NY... it is exactly the kind of thing I used to buy for the boho style and never wear, mostly because of the color, I think. I have something similar now but it is dark red! I have realized I just don't like to wear ivory or anything too light on top. I can see how it is perfect for you as a YinN. I can totally picture you in that green vest you just got. I am curious to hear about how you think about being YinN with regard to your love for active wear. They seem mutually exclusive?

So, I think I will backtrack through the thread and find the link for that test now that I have some time to do it. I'm curious to learn more and see what the conversation is about!

Laurie, I am so enjoying hearing about your trip. I think we will have to add an ABC cruise to our wish list. Was it Melody who mentioned that there is great snorkeling in Bonaire?

I've been trying to get to Bonaire for almost 20 years...can't wait. I do expect St Maarten to be changed to St Kitts, St Croix or Martinique. Hope for St Kitts. Melody

This is a picture from our leaf peeping yesterday...leaves not quite readycc0bb25754af84703f133ee8c2db4cee.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Margaret...it's taken a lot more reading to really feel like I've got a handle on this idea of the yang and yin. So I think a clue to keep in mind is answering the questions as they zoom in on each part...eyes for instance...but in relation to your face. I never realized before that I kind of have a big face...like the spread of my features is big on the outline of my face. If that makes sense.

This is one of those photos...this is DH and I when we were chaperoning in Chicago. I was cold and so I had my hoodie closed up tight...but the fact is that it is pretty close to being closed along my hairline...and I do believe...that you can see what I mean when I say that the layout of my features on my face pretty much takes up my face...

Full_Size_Render_13.jpg

And I think that is what contributes to the Yang in my face. They say that a higher forehead is more Yin...well, in the way that I am teaching this to myself...a higher forehead means that facial features aren't laid out to cover more of the facial area...if that makes sense to you.

SO...looking at this absolutely LOVELY picture (I admit that I do love our emotional facial expressions...even if I don't think this is the most attractive photo of myself)...now I can answer more easily...saying yes...I have WIDE eyes...I think the more apt description is to say wide SET eyes...it's easy to answer a wider nose...my face is more square with my jaw and forehead width pretty equal...and square is Natural. Natural is considered to be on the Yang side of balance, but less Yang than Dramatic.

My Yin comes in with the pointed chin...with the rounded end of my nose (not sharp or linear)...softer cheeks...high set eyebrows. Also...my body in more Yin because it's softer and less angular.

So all things considered...I'm a base of light Yang with many Yin accents...YinNatural. OR...Soft Natural.

The other thing that puts me on the Yin side of Natural is my overall coloring...which is very low contrast...which we have all talked about...which is one reason why I also fall on the Soft side of Autumn.

I'm just a big ole softie!!:')

I also lack symmetry. Laurie is really symmetrical...I thought we discussed that when we talked about the whole Type 4...which points her more toward Classic...as that is the balanced one. And because it is balanced...I think it can lean in four different directions? I know there's a Dramatic Classic and a Natural Classic...I didn't go there a whole lot because I am not symmetrical. And that's one reason why symmetrical things don't really look that great on me...it fights with my asymmetry...so it doesn't blend into an overall look...

I'd love to hear what anyone else comes up with. I think Debbie would too...she's been doing this for a while now and probably would love this conversation to bend that way a bit.

That ivory peasant/Boho top...I do love that top...the only thing that I'm wishing about that top is that the detail around the neck and shoulder line went lower and to under the bust so that the free fall of fabric started there instead of above the skinniest width of my torso. It falls from the wider width and that can create a bit of a curtain effect that isn't as flattering as it could be.

I could see ivory washing you out a bit. Your coloring is so much more contrasting than mine...your beautiful blue eyes and your auburn hair...you got that lovely redhead skin going on...the richer colors are so much more lovely on you than the washed out colors that are my bread and butter.

As for activewear...Let's say that I understand know why I love certain ones so much. I have a pair of straight leg long yoga pants. They are the best...so much better on me than the straight capris...and the tapered capris that I have with pockets creating more fullness and straightness in the leg are also so much better than any others. And the semi fitted capris that are more like pedal pushers are the best of that type. And why the Athleta/Melody short which is asymmetrical with a slight high low effect that flows over my curves and doesn't flare out at the bottom is the best...

The colors of activewear with always be a challenge for me to find, I think...especially since I don't know that I WANT lighter colored activewear...but understanding the flattering silhouettes...even in activewear...has done a lot to help me look in the mirror and think to myself that I look nice.

I love your hat Melody!

I hope Laurie has time to write more...:D

I'm doing laundry and odds and ends here, but I wanted to post a picture of what I wore for traveling when I left for vacation. It felt blah, but we were having very fall like weather here, and I saw the ability to remove layers as needed. The plane rides were both fairly cool too.

380efa2668d0f71554515bb3e8ce6ff1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

So I left off that we went to Palm Beach in Aruba. It really is a beautiful beach. It isn't rocky, and the water is beautiful. We were having beautiful, calm seas. There was no breeze that day, so the shade from the palapas as great to have.

It was the funniest thing, because after we first arrived, we were getting all comfy and discussing taking a swim. We had been watching the water for a good ten minutes or so, anxious to cool off. Then we saw this wave...boy, was it a wave! It went up on shore, past the first row of lounge chairs. We stopped and looked at each other, and discussed that maybe we shouldn't go in the water after all. A lot of people greatly underestimate the power of water, and I didn't feel confident with our limited experience.

But we watched for a while, and all was good, so I ventured down wearing my aqua colored athleta suit. I have to say, the quality of their swimwear and the fit is wonderful. I love being able to choose from the different styles to create a suit that fits me well.

The water was wonderful. A short time after I was in, a big wave came up, but not as bad as the one we saw after we first arrived. It literally picked me up and threw me on shore! I had a nice brush burn on my arm, but it didn't stop me. We were loving the water.

After relaxing there a while, we headed back to the ship in the later afternoon. While waiting for our bus, a tour bus we saw earlier was picking up people they dropped off and he invited us for a ride back to the port. That was really nice of him, and the air conditioning felt good!!

We cleaned up, got ourselves a drink at the Schooner Bar, and relaxed a bit. That evening, we had an excursion booked for a sunset cocktail cruise.

For some people, the initial focus was definitely the cocktail part of the title. :) We got our drink, and settled in to watch the sights. Truth be told, this was the best sunset we ever saw, and we had plenty of them on this cruise as well as other trips. What is nice about being on a boat in the ocean is the ability to see so much of it. I have some great pictures on my camera, so I will post those quickly, and then go back to telling you about the rest of the cruise.

Anita, was is the site you have tried for posting pictures?

And I'm so intrigued by the Kibbe conversation. I was googling it a few nights ago, but coming up with so many different things at once.

Melody, that is a beautiful.photo. I have some better ones, but they are on the regular camera and I haven't found a photo sharing site to use in place of photobucket yet. As a matter of fact, I just took photos of photos in hopes that they will look okay when I post them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app