All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Margaret, I love your photo book idea of including scans of all those mementos that we all pick up on trips. I used to include them in the picture sleeves of our trip albums but now that our albums are the printed type, I really don’t know what to do with those mementos.  I would love to see your album so will email you a bit later on today or tomorrow. My email starts with st and i use yahoo.  Thanks so much.

Sharon

Hey Sally, I'm trying to watch the forecast carefully.  I am thinking I will bring shorts if the temps are near 80 or above, but otherwise, I'm probably switching to either ankle length jeans or crops.  I avoid capri length, as it doesn't work well with my proportions.

As to tops, a few of the items in the mix are short sleeved.  A top I was waiting for came in, and it is a chocolate brown knit tee with satin trim around the neckline.  So it is very casual, but its a great color and I like the bit of trim they added.  Me and my necklaces will enjoy this. 🙂  

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/alfani-satin-trim-high-low-t-shirt-created-for-macys?ID=977105&lid=pdp_details

The Adriana Papell dress also arrived, and I really like it!  Since I have my dresses chosen and I'm happy with them, I'm not looking to replace anything with this dress at the moment.  I will try and get a picture of it on for you all though.  I think it looks nice?  I usually judge better when I see a picture of it, for some reason.  I don't know why, but I feel like I am looking at the dress and seeing how it fits and looks with my body shape, but in a third person sort of way.  I'm more objective.

I'm not sure why I am not keen on that shirt, Margaret.  Here is the thing...I bought it last year, and I've worn it a number of times.  So I must like it, you know?  I think, and I'm not certain about this, but I often am looking for things that fit an overlook I want to create or perhaps to suit a mood.  I think I look at the picture and find myself saying it doesn't belong.  That doesn't necessarily mean much.  I am pretty sure that even though I am bringing the new brown shirt, this will still go along as a backup outfit, which will probably be worn on the way home.  

I was thinking about what to wear for the trip down.  It's a long car ride - over 4 hours.  I have an olive green tshirt dress that keeps popping in my head.  I don't know what the weather will be like for next Friday yet and I really haven't checked.  When the weather is a bit cooler, I love to throw on my jeans jacket with this dress.  Although you can't see the dress here, I am wearing it with my jeans jacket.  This was taken last year on my birthday.

image.png.6c193d01d50fc1e8e4bc1f32d8db586b.png

• Like 1

Which brings me to my next topic...I will likely bring along my jeans jacket on the trip.  I have a few other things too I need to look at.  So far the forecast is calling for mid seventies and it is hard to pick clothing because I don't know if that will be a warm or cool 75 degrees or whatever. 

Sally, I know you mentioned it may be chilly.  Melody, I think you may have said it would be ideal.  I'm kind of stumped but if I bring the crops, ankle pants, jeans jacket and another type of top that can be layered, I think it will work out?  It seems like a lot of clothes to bring.  Imagine, me saying that??  🙂  

It's peak summer here so I have to keep in mind that it may be different in the ports I am visiting.

Melody, you have a lot of fun things picked out for your trip!  I don't wear a whole lot of prints, and I envy those who embrace them.  I don't think it has anything to do with things looking busy...you've seen some of my necklaces, lol.

I think your choices fit your trip and your personality perfectly.

I have wondered if I there is any consistency to what I like and dislike.  This is what I have figured out thus far:

- I generally don't like stripes, polka dots, plaids, geometrics.

- I do seem to like some tribal prints.

- I like some florals but not others. 

- I generally avoid prints on dresses.  I'd rather have separates where one is a solid color and one is a print.

Tomorrow is stent removal day!  I am excited to be without a stent after a whole month.  I'm kind of scared of the process, since they are just going to pull it out.  Yikes, I cringe at the thought.  I understand it is painful, but it is quick.  Then I will be sore for maybe a day or two.  This visit is with the nurse practitioner, but if she doesn't mention anything I am going to follow up to see what the plan is for kidney stone #2.  Sometimes, they just watch them.  

• Like 1

Laurie, Les said the stent removal was a piece of cake (of course, he really doesn’t like cake 🙄). He was less sore after it was removed than when it was in. Good luck to you. 

I love the Jean jacket, perfect to take for cooler days/evenings & great with the T-shirt dress (love that picture of you & hubby). Hmm, I think I’l wear my jeans jacket on the plane...  Laurie, the weather is very changeable, I’d bring mostly summer clothes but be sure to have the jeans jacket or sweater close by. Seriously, last August in Maine we went from 90 degrees to 45 degrees in less than an hour. 

Margaret, I too love that stripe bathing suit (bought it in Bar Harbor last September on a screaming end of year sale), the green floral; however, is my all time favorite swimsuit. It’s a cotton/spandex so doesn’t feel like normal suits. I just got the white skort to use as a coverup. I’m still waiting for my Athleta swimtop to arrive (should be today). It’s a tankini black background with floral — I may use it as a tank top instead of swimsuit. 

Thanks all on the comments on my trooical wardrobe. I’ve been looking forward to being very bright!  Melody

Laurie,

We went on a NE cruise (kind of a quick decision) this past June. We expected to be cold and have a lot of rain so, of course, we packed accordingly. We sailed out of Bayonne and our ports were Newport, Portland, Bar Harbor, Bermuda.

There were two trip reports posted right before our departure. One trip report was inundated with rain; the other had bright, hot sunshine. One trip report left Bayonne in warmth and the other returned to Bayonne in a torrential downpour.

For us... as I said, we expected rain. We were supposed to sail with rain; we didn't. We were supposed to have cool weather in Newport; we didn't... we experienced the most torrential rain of the entire trip. In fact, the morning at Newport was sunny which progressed to a pounding rain that we didn't escape because we were out on the Cliff Walk (fabulous, by the way!). Let's see... it was so HOT in Portland that I was sweating because I decided to wear a long sleeve rash guard and carry my rain jacket. We walked almost 11 miles that day because I was intent on finding a specific brewery. In Bar Harbor, we had the best weather of the entire trip. Wonderful day. Blueberry beer. Who knew it was so delicious? Which brings me to Bermuda.... so HOT. Unbearable heat. I didn't have light enough clothes to enjoy Bermuda, to be honest. It was even HOT at night. We were on an overnight so we ended up walking outside, thinking it would be comfortable, and had a shortened walk because it was still so hot (and that's saying something considering where we live, but I know it was humidity related).

So the point I have to make is to listen to the people who say the weather is highly changeable. Pack with flexibility in mind. I might even say to ignore the weather predictions because I don't think they could get it right if they were reporting on Tuesday what the weather was for Monday! Seriously.

You are on a beautiful itinerary. I know you will enjoy your trip immensely. I wouldn't mind returning for a rerun cruise (one I've seen before....)...

• Like 1

I realize weather is very related to where you live . In Florida 70's would be the start of our winter . When I was in Buffalo last week it was in the low 70's and I was chilly . My daughter made fun of me but I was coming from weather in the 90's.. We went on a New England cruise in the first week of September . Halifax was chilly and rainy . The rest of the ports were perfect early fall days .We took my grandchildren to the Buffalo science museum . What a great museum . Laurie ,you will love being a grandmother . It is so much fun.

I love seeing the fall fashions but my wardrobe does not change at all until December and then it is only a slight variation .Pretty Boring !.

Look what I just found at Dressbarn. I was literally walking to my car when I got a 40% off text for Dressbarn...of course I’m going to go in. It’s culottes. Melody

DE2778C9-FEE3-45BA-9278-BFA646C23D15.jpeg

649A34BD-5453-4C75-A765-8FC1933701B3.jpeg

• Like 1

Made a mad dash to Soft Surroundings this morning because they have some leggings (they've named them Have-to-Have) and I have a perfect top for one of the prints. Had to spare those precious moments to go try on the leggings because the size chart showed me as maybe one or maybe another size. Sizes are so horrible to figure out using those size charts! Anyway, they did have the print and they did have my size, so... score!

What I really wanted to talk about though is that when I was being helped by a salesperson, she told me that I needed to spend a LOT of time in the stores in the coming inventory season. She said that I'll be able to see a lot of warm colors that will be in a good brown, green, and red for me. She said, "I have to tell you that you shouldn't buy any color that has an undertone of blue though; make sure that you stick to the undertones of orange or yellow." I said that I knew fabulous colors were coming because Margaret told me! And I told her that I already knew that I needed warm undertones.

Then she said, "you know that 92% of people are cool undertones. That's why it's so difficult for you to find colors that work really well for you without trying to make them right by fiddling with your makeup." Which I thought was pretty interesting. But... 92%!!! Do you ladies believe that? That would mean that we're all pretty special, aren't we? And, can you imagine that clothes designers and store shoppers would cater to only 8% of the market? I'm not sure that she's correct in her data, but it sure feels that way sometimes!

• Like 1

JJill had some great options for me this summer . I really do not change my clothes but I like to add some fall colors .I bought several brown and green dresses . They are perfect for just about anything . I also bought a brownish linen shirt .I can wear that solo or layer it .

We have decided to finally down size and even though I hate moving we are going to do it . My house is 3800 sq. feet and three stories and now that we are early 70's it is just too much .We hope to find a one story 3 bedroom 2 bath in a maintenance free community .I have been tossing things like crazy . It feels so great . Our neighbor is interested in buying our house so if the offer is good we are going to do it .

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sailor_Sally said:

JJill had some great options for me this summer . I really do not change my clothes but I like to add some fall colors .I bought several brown and green dresses . They are perfect for just about anything . I also bought a brownish linen shirt .I can wear that solo or layer it .

We have decided to finally down size and even though I hate moving we are going to do it . My house is 3800 sq. feet and three stories and now that we are early 70's it is just too much .We hope to find a one story 3 bedroom 2 bath in a maintenance free community .I have been tossing things like crazy . It feels so great . Our neighbor is interested in buying our house so if the offer is good we are going to do it .

We’re getting serious about getting a place in FL; I’d like the same 1 story 3/2 in maintenance free (preferably guarded/gated) on the West Coast. Still looking at Sail Harbor in Ft Myers, but they’re all 2-story, but some have elevators. It wouldn’t be a full time, more like a 8-4. Unless our son buys our house...then I wouldn’t have to downsize as much 😉Melody 

2 hours ago, Member123 said:

Made a mad dash to Soft Surroundings this morning because they have some leggings (they've named them Have-to-Have) and I have a perfect top for one of the prints. Had to spare those precious moments to go try on the leggings because the size chart showed me as maybe one or maybe another size. Sizes are so horrible to figure out using those size charts! Anyway, they did have the print and they did have my size, so... score!

What I really wanted to talk about though is that when I was being helped by a salesperson, she told me that I needed to spend a LOT of time in the stores in the coming inventory season. She said that I'll be able to see a lot of warm colors that will be in a good brown, green, and red for me. She said, "I have to tell you that you shouldn't buy any color that has an undertone of blue though; make sure that you stick to the undertones of orange or yellow." I said that I knew fabulous colors were coming because Margaret told me! And I told her that I already knew that I needed warm undertones.

Then she said, "you know that 92% of people are cool undertones. That's why it's so difficult for you to find colors that work really well for you without trying to make them right by fiddling with your makeup." Which I thought was pretty interesting. But... 92%!!! Do you ladies believe that? That would mean that we're all pretty special, aren't we? And, can you imagine that clothes designers and store shoppers would cater to only 8% of the market? I'm not sure that she's correct in her data, but it sure feels that way sometimes!

My blue Hawaiian print dress (maxi) was from Soft Surroundings. Melody

Sailor Sally - my husband and I are in the same position.   Big townhouse and we are in Chicago.   We are thinking of a Del Webb community in Bluffton, SC.   Have always liked Hilton Head and think we would like this area.   Can’t believe I am looking at a Del Webb community but the idea kind of  appeals to me!

Sailor Sally, downsizing always seems to be on my mind. I have managed to get red of quite a bit but I still have a long way to go. Unfortunately, we have no plans  to move right now so my incentive is a limited. I admire Anita and the fact that she moves frequently. I think that  would help one from accumulating too much stuff!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Sharon

• Like 1

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

We’re getting serious about getting a place in FL; I’d like the same 1 story 3/2 in maintenance free (preferably guarded/gated) on the West Coast. Still looking at Sail Harbor in Ft Myers, but they’re all 2-story, but some have elevators. It wouldn’t be a full time, more like a 8-4. Unless our son buys our house...then I wouldn’t have to downsize as much 😉Melody 

I have an elevator but I still have steps to my third floor which we do not use .

1 hour ago, alidor said:

Sailor Sally - my husband and I are in the same position.   Big townhouse and we are in Chicago.   We are thinking of a Del Webb community in Bluffton, SC.   Have always liked Hilton Head and think we would like this area.   Can’t believe I am looking at a Del Webb community but the idea kind of  appeals to me!

I know I never thought my SO would want to move but even He is ready .We are going to open houses tomorrow to start looking at our options . All the new communities around here are out near the interstate and we have no interest in moving there . We have too many friends around were we live now .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purduemom1 said:

Sailor Sally, downsizing always seems to be on my mind. I have managed to get red of quite a bit but I still have a long way to go. Unfortunately, we have no plans  to move right now so my incentive is a limited. I admire Anita and the fact that she moves frequently. I think that  would help one from accumulating too much stuff!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Sharon

We should have moved in our 60"s because now in our 70"s it is harder .

Sally, what an exciting time for you.  You have a really big house, so I can see you downsizing easily and still having plenty of room.

I know we have talked about this before, and how our spouses have ideas that may differ than ours. Our house is about1700 square feet, I believe.  Our downstairs layout is perfect for us.  Just like Margaret once described me as thinking of clothes as a uniform, I think of my house in a similar manner.  Rooms have a function.  So my downstairs has a family room, living room, den, kitchen, half bath, dining room, laundry room and mudroom.  We use them all, each for different things.  They aren't really big rooms, but it works out perfect.  Our mudroom and laundry room are bigger than most, I think.  But the rest of the downstairs isn't. 

Upstairs is three bedrooms and a full bath, but I always wished for another full bath and bigger closets. 

Now that I have one daughter who is married and no longer at home, I often think about my younger daughter.  She is out of school and working full time while going to school part time.  She pays her own bills and the like, but still lives here.  I know that will change.  I have thought that we should look for something different, but I know it won't happen.  My husband will not think about moving unless we get to the point where he is unable to do the stairs at all.

But I am digressing!  I think it is good that you are doing this, Sally.  I know you've mentioned it a few times.

Melody, with just you and Les, a smaller house sounds about right too.  I don't recall if you have mentioned the square footage or not, but seeing some photos of your yard and what not, it seems like it would be a good sized home.  All of your kids live nearby, don't they?

Pam, I have been thinking a lot about what that store clerk told you.  While I think her numbers are off, I think she makes a good point.  One time, Curt mentioned that the most represented season for men was summer or air, and for women, I am pretty sure he said ice.  It does seem like warmer colors are not that well represented.  It sure is frustrating!  For me, if I can't find earth tones, my next best color choices are fire.  I just need the warmth, it seems.

I do hope that these colors are readily available, because I will grab things while I can find them.

Speaking of which, that shirt that I posted the link to, the one with the satin trim?  While I purchased the shirt in fudge, there were a few other warm colors available as well.  It isn't often there are that many options available.  The quality is really nice, so I am thinking maybe I should grab a few others.

That reminds me too....after that shirt came in, I had a thought.  I have these cropped jeans that have some embroidery on them.  I got them when they happened to be on clearance, and were a very, very expensive brand.  However, I have not worn them as much as I would like because of the embroidery colors.  I just didn't seem to have the right things.  They are muted and warm, but very washed out, bordering on air.  I realize that I have a few things I am bringing on my cruise where the warmth will be drawn from the embroidery well.  I can pair them with this new chocolate brown shirt, and also the caramel one.  the beige/ivory shirt works too.  So it's a nice choice to bring with me.

I've been seeing things online at JJill, I think I need to bite the bullet and just order a few things to see what I think!

• Like 1

Our house is just over 3000 sq feet, two levels— the yard is a double house lot (corner) we have 500’ of sidewalk out front & 1000’ of sidewalk on the side...it’s a bear to maintain!  All 3 of our kids are here in town, we only get together every couple of months (we’d probably see more of them if we lived in a beach community 😂

Laurie, the embroidered cropped jeans sound perfect. Melody

I tried toget a good picture of the cropped Jean's with the tops this morning.  I think it is hard to see how the caramel works in the pictures, so I took pictures with different settings.  Let's see how they work when I post them.

20190728_094935.jpg

20190728_095018.jpg

• Like 1

Laurie , Your house will be fine to age in . Selling and Buying a new house is a hassle and very expensive . We would not be doing it except We are sick of the maintenance especially the pool . We were talking yesterday and once we hit 70 we really started to feel our age and not in good ways .Luckily we bought this house years ago and should make a nice profit on it .

• Like 1

Pam, I've been thinking a lot about your salesperson's comment that 92% of people are cool, AIR and ICE. I've pondered whether that number is accurate. Here is what I think. I will say up front that I am talking about skin tone and coloring, not race or ethnicity. I have worked with people from all over the world and seen all the colors of all the countries, so I am very wary of generalizations. But, math is math, so I"ll start with this.

If you take South America, Africa, and Asia together, you have a disproportionate amount of the world's population, about 6 billion, where the majority have dark hair/dark eyes, and I would guess most would be AIR or ICE. Whether that is 92% or not, I don't know. But that is a lot of people, as compared to 1.3 billion in North America, Europe, and Australia where I believe you would find more of a spectrum of dark, medium, and light hair, skin, and eyes.

That, of course, is one way of looking at it. From a salesperson's point of view, perhaps everyone who walks in their store with dark hair and eyes is an ICE because they don't know any better. Maybe that is where 92% comes from.

I have always hoped that women of color would join our thread. I think the fashion industry tends to lump them all together as ICE which is really inaccurate, especially in the US where historically there has been mixing of races, and therefore we have a wider spectrum of skin tones than in many other countries. There are some really interesting posts using celebrities of color as examples for color analysis:

https://www.truth-is-beauty.com/is-color-analysis-just-for-white-people.html

I hope that women of color would feel welcome to join us, share their pictures, and comment on our posts. I think it would expand our conversations about color and fashion in a helpful and insightful way. Not to mention more sharing links to fun clothes.

Pam, maybe you have had this too. I find it very interesting that as a redhead, people assume I must be careful about what colors I wear, as if we are in a separate category of human, rather than realizing that all of us look better in some colors rather than others. 🙂