All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Somehow...I missed that those frames were for sunglasses...everything you said makes total sense. You'll have them for Florida? I'll get to see them!

We're humming right along over here...DS brought up a question about wardrobes yesterday. He asked, how many clothes do people normally have? And I thought to myself...isn't that the big question? I'm glad that he has started thinking about this and that he is open to constructing a wardrobe. He has some thoughts of his own after we talked. College rooms are notoriously small...and I can say that over in London the wardrobes are very small. And they are wardrobes...not a closet. The wardrobe looks about as big as a typical stateroom cabinet...MAYBE there is 18" of hanging space?

Some things are for sure...he shouldn't necessarily need summer clothing. He has never been a fan of wearing shorts... And the weather in London seems pretty consistent...not huge fluctuations...so he shouldn't need a big variety, especially for the first 3 months.

pacruise...you leave Friday? I still have the photos we took of my Dad looking at the truck of his car filled my stuff with a look that says, how are we going to fit all of this?

• Like 1

@MJC The brown glasses make sense 🙂 DH usually has to ask for my readers when we go out to see the menu 🤣

@Anita Latte we do leave Friday.  DD is a surprisingly light packer so I think we might be ok - plus we have a Honda Pilot with lots of cargo space 😉 A girl from home she used to quiz with will be her dorm chaplain this year and she confirmed that K can get rides home with her (that girl has a car on campus) and she comes home fairly often.  That will help a lot with the 9 hour drive.

• Like 1

So many of our friends are taking their kids back to college this month. I am astonished at how much they travel with. I went to college in a town only 40 minutes from my home, and my parents drove me in their station wagon (remember those?). I had a big suitcase of clothes, a small box of linens and towels, a paper bag of shoes, a manual typewriter that I got at a garage sale, and hand-me-down b&w 13" tube tv. And a winter coat. Marie Kondo would have been proud. :)

My parents weren't poor by any means, but I did have to put myself through school. Since I was the first person on both sides of the family to go away to university, they were pretty clueless. Nobody had taught me how to balance my first checkbook, and at that time (in the 80's), students could not get credit cards. That life seems so primitive now!

I had a work/study job at the law school graduate center where I worked on a computer. I was the only person in the dance department, other than the office staff, who had ever touched one. 😲

Ladies, if any of your guys are looking for dress pants, Macy’s is having a tremendous sale. Kenneth Cole Rection modern fit $24 instead of $95 & Tommy Hilfiger the Flex slim fit for $23 instead of $85. Les needed a new pair of black pants for our cruise (in 30 days, who’s counting)  Melody 

• Like 1

I am still struggling with getting a decent one way fair for our transatlantic that ends in Amsterdam .The prices are crazy .I have been mulling the idea of booking a round trip and just not showing up for the one trip. I can get a decent fare to Boston but then We would have to stay over and get another flight which would be a pain .I am also looking at other trips instead .

Edited by Sailor_Sally

And the heavens parted and shone down on our family and today, finally, we got word regarding DS' Student Visa and got his passport back in our hot little hands!!!

HUGE *sigh of relief*

Here's the deal...like DH says...they have built this situation to be STRESSFUL. For those that don't know...you have to MAIL away your passport to the US location for processing UK Visas...it's in NY. And they permanently affix an entry clearance to your passport. The entry clearance is only good for 30 days! So you can't get it too soon! It's like you HAVE to do this at the last minute almost. So...it's like we're right on time at the 14 day mark...14 DAYS PEOPLE...for receiving this thing. Then DS has 10 days upon arrival in the UK to pick up his ACTUAL Visa, which they call a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP...the thing we all call the VISA). I think it's going to be a card like a DL.

Anyway...that was the last big piece of work that needed to be done. SO HAPPY.

IDK what all other people are taking to college Margaret. DS is pretty streamlined...go figure. Overseas travel...very different from car travel. There are things above and beyond BUT it all relates to being a music major? I figured out how to connect my sweet (vintage! LOL) Boston Acoustic speakers to DS' computer. Very good for when he is listening to the play back of recordings, etc...good for listening to Spotify too, LOL, but the motivation was related to the work he does. They are small indoor outdoor speakers. He's taking an acoustic guitar...

Nice find on the pants Melody...and super exciting to be leaving in 30 days for the long anticipated Hawaii cruise!!

I got my order of Crazy Compression socks in yesterday. They had a huge sale, 55% off, and I stocked up. I have serious wool compression socks, but this brand is one step down in compression but still graduated...nylon and cotton, not wool...so a bit nicer for everyday. I learned from our last trip...I good really use the help of the knee high compression socks everyday with all the walking around life in London requires. I find that the support on my lower leg really helps me feel more stable with my knee. And the compression is a flat out MUST DO for long sitting-heavy travel days for me.

Now I can start to feel excited about heading out to London. Much less stress from here on out.

• Like 2

Yay!  Great news Anita!   You must be so relieved. 

I definitely agree on the compression socks. We’re seriously considering compression arm sleeves for Les for the Hawaii flight. He has (at least) another month of pt (due to graduate on 18 Sep & we leave on 21 Sep). Back to doc on Monday for hopefully the final postop. Les is regretting doing this surgery during the summer, it’s really limited what we’ve been able to do, he’s wishing he’d waited until mid October...hindsight really is 20-20

good luck to all the college bound young people. Our grandson that graduated in May has started a physics teaching position at Valor Christian High School up in Highlands Ranch. He’s totally charged about it, especially when he found out that a hot catered (not cafeteria) lunch is included. 😂😂. He figures that will give him 5-7 hours more a week to do things other than cook... Melody

• Like 1

Yay for less stress, Anita!

Great news for your grandson, Melody 🙂 I had a job that included catered breakfast and lunch - it was a wonderful perk.  Continued prayers for Les in his recovery - have a great cruise.

Sally - best wishes on trip decisions.  Our 25th anniversary is next year and we want to do a big trip, but we are both overwhelmed with the options.  While it will cut it a little close, we've both decided to wait until after our cruise next month to even think about it.

Daughter is packing fairly light (I think).  She has a couple small bins for trash & recycling, backpack with school supplies (including laptop), small first aid container, clothes, linens, pillows, and dorm fridge.  She wanted a "comfortable" chair, but I suggested she waits until Thanksgiving and see if she really wants one - possible Christmas gift.  Our Pilot is probably similar capacity to a station wagon, so we should have plenty of room.

• Like 1

Anita, I have been trying off and on all day to get through the checkout.  The website is having conniptions.  I don't know if they have way more orders than expecting or what.  This last time, I thought it was going to go through, then it told me the website was down.  However, I just got a confirmation email on the order so I think all is good.

I'm curious - which bra did you opt for?  I'm overdue for some new bras, and the last few I got were from Victoria's Secret.  I like their Sexy Illusions bra, despite the silly name.  It is lined, but not padded.  There is just enough there for modesty, and it is very comfortable.  With my Soma deal, I opted for the Vanishing Back, as it not only looks nice, but it is very comfortable as well.  As it turns out, Sexy Illusions from VS has the same feature.

I love the Vanishing Edge undies.  They completely disappear under my clothes, yet they are very comfortable.

So...my cruise!

We drove to Hyatt House in New Jersey.  Traffic was like we expected, meaning that we would be moving along, then there would be congestion or construction.  We still made decent time.  The hotel is really, really wonderful.  They have a rooftop restaurant and bar, and it was so relaxing to have a drink and just enjoy being outside.  After, we wanted to explore a little, but we drove all day and so we opted to stay close by.  There is this wonderful park there, and there are all these food trucks all over the place.  We ate already, but that ice cream truck was calling our name, so we headed over!

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2083.jpg

I expect to pay more to stay in Jersey City, and I expected to pay for the parking.  I had two issues with the parking.  First, the sign says an amount for 24 hours.  But when you stay overnight, you are automatically charged for two nights.  Second, I drive a Cherokee and it is considered oversized.  It is really average, but anyway, it's another $10.00 per day.  So I think we paid about $104.00 to park overnight?  Something like that?  But I would still stay here again.  As a matter of fact, I can't wait to go back.  The ferry was right there, at the park!

I was told we could check in at 11, so I was pretty excited about that.  The earlier, the better!  Everyone said that because of traffic, it would take between 30-40 minutes because we were close by.  I think it took 15.  That worked out well, because we left the hotel at 10:30, and you have to drop off your luggage, park and then head inside to check in.  

When we got to the door, there were people outside but an attendant open the door, and we walked in.  They had us get in line, and I tell you, there was no one in front of us.  We didn't have all those counters with people holding up numbers...they more of less meet you at the front of the line, ask you about 5 questions, scan your Seapass, and take your photo.  Literally, from walking into the door and walking onto the ship was just over 5 minutes.  

Your Seapass cards are left on your door, but you still can't head to your room until they are ready.  That was just fine because we were out wandering, and had to do what we always do first: find our table in the dining room, then go to the Schooner Bar for a drink.  

We wandered more after that, and then when our room was ready, headed up.  We had a junior suite.  On some trips, these are affordable and on others, they are not.  For whatever reason, it was $30.00 more than a balcony room per person, so we grabbed it.  There is a bigger balcony, a lot more space in the room, plus a regular tub.  I am not looking to take a bath, but love having more space than the little showers give you.

Our attendant met us right away.  He was fantastic.  We got our luggage really fast, so we unpacked right away.  Maybe it is just me, but I always feel my vacation starts officially when we unpack, because that signals this is our home for the week.

We realize as we wandered around that it was 4:00, and we were hungry.  We hadn't eaten since before we left the hotel, so we got ourselves something to eat...a very late lunch, you could say.

Here are a few pictures from our first day:

930-18013990.jpg

930-18039713.jpg

• Like 1

I am really glad I took that green dress.  It was comfortable, but I didn't feel sloppy or baggy. You can't see my necklace here, but it wasn't the one I was originally looking to wear.  I realized I didn't like the length of the one I had picked out with the V-neck.  It really worked out bringing different things that worked together.

I have a little story about dinner.  We had a table for 6.  We love sitting with people and learning about them.  We were waiting for our tablemates to arrive, and I began to think they weren't coming to the dining room that night.  With My Time Dining, specialty restaurants and people choosing the Windjammer, that isn't unusual.  I then saw someone who looked frustrated, and was walking around with our waiter.  A few minutes later, that person and three others sat down.

As it turns out, they were part of a very large group that needed a table for ten and then a table for 6 right next to each other.  They had been in earlier, and the waiter switched around two tables so they were near the rest of their family.  However, the waiter forgot to tell the assistant waiter, and somehow the numbers got switched back and others were not switched around to accommodate the change.  

They were not angry, just confused.  We actually had one of the best dinners I have ever had on a cruise with these two other couples.  The waiter came over to apologize, and they instantly told him not to - they had made new friends.  

Of course, the next night, they were seated near their family, but our table number was gone.  We were moved to a different section, at a table for 8.  But there was only us!  None of this is a complaint - we had a great dinner each and every night, no matter where we were.  It was just really interesting to see how it would play out.  The head waiter brought us a glass of champagne because he felt bad over the confusion.  We told him he didn't need to do that, we were just fine.  But yeah...we took the champagne.  🙂  

• Like 2

I will continue on with my cruise tomorrow, but I wanted to let you know that I planned to do this sooner but I was preparing all week for my daughter's baby shower.  That was yesterday, and it was so much fun.  A Jack and Jill baby shower is just great.  You've got the father there along with other men and kids.  It was fantastic.  It really felt like a celebration.  

• Like 1

Sally, the Eastern Carib is one of my faves. Our first WindStar was to the Virgin Islands and we had such a fun time.

Laurie, great shots of my city. <3  It sounds like you had a fun and easy first day on board. Looking forward to more photos!

Here are my new sunglasses. I am happy with the color, shape, and size. The color is more subtle than it looked online which is fine. I am adjusting to the bifocals but I wish these had come in progressive lenses, though the progressive choices on the website were not to my taste. My prescription glasses are progressives and they don't have such a sudden change with the line that bifocals have. But, for the price I am quite happy. I wore them twice over the weekend and they do what I wanted them to.

Adlersmall.jpg

• Like 2

I’ve never purchased from Soma before. I need bras badly so I’m happy to roll the dice with the sale. I opted for the full coverage unlined wireless bra. For modesty, I probably should have lined but most lined translates to padded in my experience and those never fit me right.

TMI maybe but I think of myself as ski slopes with a wide base so I get a big gap in the top of padded bras and underwires are really tricky. I’ll never forget talking with a coworker back in the day of having them and she talked about the scar tissue that showed up in some sort of screening because of her underwire bras. It shouldn’t happen if they fit properly but that’s a very hard fit for me. I currently haven’t any non sport bras without underwires so that’s why fingers crossed!

I’ve also never tried the vanishing edge underwear but I just got those ultra stretch denim legging pants LOL...aka once upon a time ago...jeggings. And as I said, with shop runner I needed to spend $25 to get my free two day shipping so time to try this underwear too.

I’m ready to read about your trip Laurie! That’s quite a bit for parking. Wow. But as you say, sometimes it is what is it and you just prepare for it. Dresses are so wonderful...so comfortable and yet such a good put together look. Love that green dress...great color.

Do you buy a photo cd? It’s been a while since I’ve sailed Royal, but that’s our next cruise. Wondering about photo packages.

Margaret they look fantastic! I could probably use bifocals but I just take my glasses off all over...but that’s what I’ve always done. I never needed my glasses for reading so I always took them off ever since I first started needing them in college. Idk how bifocals with work with astigmatism it probably just fine. Whatever. Your glasses look great.

I received the Soma sale email from Chicos since the two stores are connected. Did not try to purchase as I had no idea which style would work. At that price I can see why the website was overwhelmed since it was today only.  Probably some were unable to complete their purchase so maybe the offer will be repeated?

Sharon

I tried to purchase at Soma about an hour ago and had no luck getting through. Tried again just now before bed and it was super easy, purchase completed at 11:58pm!

Yes, I can see the bifocal line though it's hard for others to see when looking AT me. Since I am used to progressives it is a bit of an adjustment especially when driving -- when you look out the windshield, then down to the speedo, then out again, etc. I don't need glasses to read in general, in fact I don't ever wear glasses around the house since my near vision is good. But when I wear my contacts I see great for distance but cannot read, and have trouble seeing the central screen in my car for the nav and the sound system, and the HVAC. And the gas gauge. Hence, bifocal sunglasses. For the few times I need glasses like this, they will be fine once I get used to the difference. They are extremely similar in style and color to my prescription Ray Bans, so it was a good bet that I would like the appearance.

16 hours ago, Sailor_Sally said:

Just saw that Celebrity is sailing from Tampa to eastern Caribbean this winter ! Yah !

Eastern, touch Canal & southern. The Constellation (our favorite Mclass ship) is going to be homeported in Tampa